Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TsarZiedonis posted:

Using TanTan in any major North American city yields a way more, uh, normal looking crop of people than what you seem to see.

Maybe it's because it's all 富二代, or something.

My Tantan is p much the same as haiers. I used to save the most egregious ones but it ended up being so common I lost interest in cataloguing literally every other person on the app. My favorite thing is when people put a weixin sticker over their cleavage in some weird act of self-censorship.

For kicks I made a new account and put myself as a lady looking for men and it was wayyyy more boring than I expected. I don't know what I was hoping for, but it was just badly lit selfies of dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Haier posted:

It is becoming normal, but I only made an account last week so it's still hilarious to me at the moment. I have been collecting pictures of Chinese five and sixheads for a while now, and it's been helping me with that.
I have about 40 matches right now after left swiping about 90% of the people that show up, and the ones I've talked to are asking for actual English lessons and want to pay me to tutor them, even though I'm not an English teacher. I had a Chinese friend write my profile in Chinese explaining I don't speak Chinese and I hate dates and spending money, which in turn has caused people to think it's sarcastic and I really look forward to it. They've all been duds.
Wechat People Nearby still wins.

This time I am actually looking for a legit girlfriend so I am trying to search for someone that matches me in some main ways. Mongol Raider wants purely FWB and to not "catch the feels," so she told me when I find someone good then we can end that or be normal friends. Her advice was "Don't look for a Chinese. They will cheat you," but she says that about Chinese for every circumstance.

Since the women's profiles are all full of photos of them obviously on expensive dates and vacations they didn't pay for (hinting at what they are expecting), I figured the males profiles would all be BMWs photos and fancy watches or something. Kinda disappointed to hear it's not blatant wealth flaunting for sugar babies. The girls I asked about the guys on here all said the Chinese guys immediately just ask for sex and then stop talking when she says no.

The hottest trend is a photo of her standing, back to the camera, one arm up with the peace sign. It's about as played out as the white people version of the man/woman standing on the edge of cliff in wilderness.

You're the first person I've heard mention look around/nearby since momo popped up in like 2013 or so, I opened it just now and sure enough there was a ton of people so I guess silly me thinking it was dead.

Weirdly sincere advice for this thread: If you're looking for something more serious it sounds weird but Tinder might be a better choice. In my city at least it's mainly 海龟 so they might be more in-line with what you're looking for compared to tantan. Given where you are the scene might be a bit different, though.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

It's mainly turtles? What does that mean?

Whoops I guess that's a little hard to parse. It's a homophone for 海归 which means Chinese people who either studied abroad or otherwise lived outside of China for a while and came back home, the turtle one is used cuz Chinese loves its slang and I guess turtles also go away then come back or something???

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Koramei posted:

Some of their partnerships have worked out okay but I have yet to see indigenous Chinese animation that is anything but garbage, do you have any good examples?

It's old and maybe the technical animation isn't the best part, but late 80's/early 90's syndicated children's cartoon Hei Mao Jing Zhang/Black Cat Detective is kind of amazing and the kind of thing that China would never, ever try to make again.

Short clip, I dunno if you'd call it :nws: but it's kinda surprisingly bloody for a children's cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKwQ7QjmL5g

Every episode has crazy poo poo like this. There's one entire one where after a super violent fight between preying mantises and locusts (several scenes of characters on fire flailing around in pain while burning to death occur), Black Cat Detective has to solve a murder of a male mantis. In the end they find out his wife ate him when they got married because that's what mantises do and nature or something????

This show was targeted at like 8 year olds.

I originally came across it when I asked my ex-girlfriend about Chinese animation and she remembered liking this one as a kid. We watched that episode and a couple others and even she was like "wow how did we watch this as kids???"

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Which filter are you using? Genuinely asking, might need it later this year. I've been sticking with disposable N95 masks.

Those disposable N95 masks from 3M they sell at 7-11 are p much all you really need. A few western doctors on Beijing ran actual measured tests with them and they get like 95-98% of pollutants out. You can get more heavy duty ones that go above that, but at that point it's more about fit than anything. If you need to do anything more strenuous than walking they might lose effectiveness, though.

Chengdu is weird cuz no one wears masks. When I lived elsewhere (in the northeast and Shanghai) people did, I guess everyone here is way too laid back to care. Lol when I lived in Shanghai in like 2013 the AQI for the entire month of December was close to 500 and I was wearing a mask literally everywhere except in my apartment which had a purifier in it. A few bars even advertised "we have purifiers!" around that time.

Though to be fair, unlike a lot of stuff, the pollution is gradually getting better. If you look at monthly and yearly trends in most major cities the pollution gets less bad every year. Between like 2010 and 2013 things seemed to peak but 2014 was lower in most places, and 2015 even lower. I don't even think Chengdu broke 300 AQI one day last year.

Of course that could be less government actually doing anything and more production is moving from China to SEA.

I have air purifiers in my house and after hearing Xiaomi's have issues I took my boss's monitor and tested my house, and the AQI said it was like 8 in my living room compared to like 180 outside that day so I guess it works alright. The Phillips I have in my bedroom (admittedly a much smaller space) keeps the AQI about 2, though.

Our office leases these crazy air purifiers and you can smell the difference the second you leave the office just into the hallway on bad days.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

This was like 5 pages ago so sorry for bringing it back up, but isn't the whole native speaker hears someone speaking their language who isn't obviously also a native and doesn't understand them an established thing that happens? I remember reading about it but forget if it had a fancy name.

Anecdotally I had a friend in college who was half Japanese and grew up in Japan until high school but looked pretty not Japanese and she said she constantly had people telling her "sorry I can't speak English" even though she was speaking 100% raised in Japan native Japanese.

My Chinese ain't the best in the world but I've had whole phone conversations with delivery men and people who understood me fine on the phone then looked at me with blank stares when we talked irl. So either I have baller phone Chinese and poo poo in person Chinese or there is something going on there.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

God I wish this were true here. The heat gets cranked to 35 C everywhere in October or so and since (non-mountain) Sichuan never actually gets cold it's just like being in an oven all the time everywhere.

My last apartment in Korea had nowhere to vent the AC, so the guy just smashed a hole in my window and ran the tube out through it. :thumbsup:

Haven't you seen the news, this winter will be the coldest one since 2012!!!!

My old apartment in Qingdao was pretty well insulated and had a good heating system, the trade off is it had no AC which was sadly normal for Qingdao. While it is humid as all hell there and still gets kinda hot, it's north of that imaginary AC/Heat line that exists in China so AC is weirdly rare. I forget exactly where that line is but I know Shanghai/Zhejiang is right about at the border so it's a no-man's land of what you get in your apartment without splurging.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Blistex posted:

YES!!!! The biggest hint is in the actual name!

Surgical masks filter in the same way a sneeze guard filters. They were designed to prevent doctors hunched over open wounds from spitting inside patients. They are good to keep people close to you from getting their spit in your mouth when they don't bother to cover up when coughing or sneezing (very common in china), but as an air filter they are absolutely useless. An effective air filter needs to fit tightly around your mouth or nose, and unless that is happening, you're still breathing in unfiltered air. Respirators are what you need for air filtration. While the mask pictured below is absolutely better than a surgical mask, it still doesn't fit with a good seal around the edges, and will let in lots of particulate filled air. I tried one of these when drywalling, and after 15 minutes I took it off to scratch my nose and it looked like I had been doing coke.

This is what you want, but you're going to get lots of strange looks (more strange looks) in China. (obviously loaded with the appropriate filter cartridges for pollution)

It's still all based on fit through, depending on how your head is that bottom one still might not fit you exactly.

http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/children/my-personal-fit-testing-heres-the-best-pollution-mask-for-me/

This guy did tests for a ton of masks and those 3M one did mostly > 90% which is probably as good as you can hope for the price.

e: Also wearing masks super varies by city. When I lived in SH on high pollution days you'd see almost everyone with actual masks on, but other cities p much no one wears them.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 16, 2016

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

This is a few pages late but fei cheng wu rao kind of owns because everyone is extra weird and dumb on purpose, because most don't actually want to go on dates. Getting a date and finding a match means you leave the show, whereas if you stay on as a big weirdo you stay on TV for longer and can build up some personal reality star brand. They do eventually switch people out but sometimes you get people on for a while.

They get non-Chinese on more and more now which makes it even cringier. A while ago there was some white Canadian dude in a leather suit that came on and was ultra creepy because he was infatuated with one of the girls that had been on the show for a while and tracked down all sorts of really private information and was asking about personal poo poo like her family on this national television show. The whole audience was shocked when she turned him down after he so dutifully stalked her online, and it was all over the internet here for a few days.

fake edit: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/james-alofs i found a Canadian news story about it!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Haier posted:

That looks fake as heck. Not believing it.

When I went to university in Taipei the dorms had those nets to stop people from jumping off buildings and killing themselves, I think they have a p high suicide rate there so it could be???

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Same but lemon in Thailand

Also avocado

avocados got relatively cheap in China recently. Finally, this place is livable.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've never been on a date with someone here and not had them offer to pay for half or pay for drinks at the bar after dinner or whatever. Maybe I've been lucky/pickier but I think most people under 35 I'm friends with or gone out with have had fairly consistent expectations as people in the west would have when it comes to that. The only time I felt I got stiffed on paying the bill on a date in China was actually when I was out with a Canadian.

Expectations for marriage/etc tho can be pretty different, but I don't think that's a china specific thing since dating across cultures is always gonna be p hard.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 30, 2016

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

nickmeister posted:

Little known fact, America has no fresh vegetables: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1dih4az-WI

What do you tell Chinese people when they ask about "American" food? I always seem to be at a loss for words, since I mostly cook for myself when I'm at home. They talk about how all the food is bad, and fattening, and icky. But I feel like a lot of Chinese students who come to the USA to study severely limit themselves in what they're willing to try and eat. Of course the food is going to be bad when you only eat at the cafeteria or get a Big Mac at McDonald's.

To be fair I know a non trivial amount of western people here who eat almost entirely at subway, McDonald's and Starbucks so I can see why it's a common misconception of what American food is. Though honestly with how many Americans eat it's probably pretty accurate.

I ride a bike daily here in china and it's not much scarier than riding a bike in the US, except it's scary in a different and surreal way. When I was in Ohio I'd constantly have giant SUVs coming way too close/being actively antagonistic towards bikes because they had no idea how to drive around bikes and almost nowhere had dedicated bike lanes. It was a very understandable danger.

In China the roads I'm on at least have big bike lanes so it's less cars that are the issue as much as other people on scooters or bikes. Once I saw this cart overloaded with like a 20 foot stack of styrofoam to be recycled collapse and that caused chaos with bikes trying to get out of the way and some just powering through the avalanche.

Last week I saw something I'd ever encountered before. I was behind a bike that had raw meat hanging from hooks on the back of it and I have never pulled over and waited for something to get away from me before, but I sure did that time.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Haier posted:

This is true, IMO, and I think if it were not on a Saturday this year it really would have been dead outside. People don't get the next day off or anything. Because it's the time before Chinese new year, many are forced to work on weekends until that holiday to "make up for the days they will have off." It's bullshit.

There was a ton going on in my city for new years, bars were all packed and there were outdoor (lol @ pollution) concerts and other events all over the place that I saw. Friday was annoying cuz they were setting up a big stage in the courtyard by my office and doing sound tests for some big fireworks/concert thing that was gonna happen. I actually passed a bunch of college kids skateboarding on my way to a bar on NYE and thought of you haha.

And there is a day off like there always is. Monday was a national holiday here and p much all offices and schools were closed, it's actually one of the only "true" days off with the stupid "work weekends so you work like 8 days straight before major holidays" things. But like anywhere people in retail and what not get screwed over and always have to work. I love how HR sends out messages like "you get 3 days off for the new year holiday! Saturday, sunday and monday!!!" oh boy, we get the weekend off!!

I actually wonder how much longer that arrangement will last because people all hate it and I see nothing but complaints whenever CNY or national day roll around. it's only been this way for 4~ years or so so it's new enough everyone still hates on it.

Sometimes the mass protests do have an effect, even if it's a lovely one. They protested the construction chemical plant so much here in Sichuan they had to roll censorship out on the name of a city with over 1,000,000 people which just got everyone else in the country to wonder why that had been censored and then it got even more traction nationally (plant still got built though, obviously).

Also the air in Chengdu and Chongqing seldom get Beijing-bad but are generally still p awful. This year for some reason everyone decided to complain and hold so many protests so much the government couldn't keep up and then suddenly it was very good air for like 3 days, then it got bad again and they blamed it on the barbecue stalls on the streets which they said they'd crack down on "to stop pollution" which got people even more angry.

Last year I remember they blamed the pollution on everyone making smoked meat in January which also didn't go over well.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Modest Mao posted:

The stereotype I developed so far is, Taiwanese men typically can't cook and don't see it as their responsibility.

In Taipei both men and women can't cook, same deal, special case for that city (even if that's 1/3 the pop). Taipei apartments don't come with a kitchen standard. Maybe a hotplate and a fridge.

Sichuan girls are not good at cooking, but can, and the men are much better.

Maybe true, every professional chef I've met here is a dude. Dunno why though. My current landlord is a retired chef born and raised in Sichuan but then decided to branch out and moved to Urumqi where he worked at some decent-ish hotel and learned how to cook all sorts of central Asian halal dishes. We live in the same complex and he invited me over to eat with him and his family right before new years and he cooked a few amazing lamb and yak dishes. I guess yak is halal.

He even bakes his own naan (I dunno the actual name of flat central asian breads but it looks a lot like naan) and gave me a bunch, A+ landlord.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I introduced my Texan friend's Mainland girlfriend to tacos last night. She was blown away. She's from Sichuan and considers herself to be the queen of spicy, but discovered for the first time last night that peppers come in multiple flavors. She's cooked for us a few times and while it doesn't taste bad, I'm guessing the giant bag of salt she keeps on her counter is the main ingredient. I tried to explain to her that unless a recipe specifically calls for salt, like baking a cake or something, there's usually no reason to add any since any pre-made sauce or seasoning she's using will also have salt in it.

Deaf ears.

tbh most Sichuan people wouldn't say sichuan food is as "spicy" as mexican food cuz they're different kinds of spicy which get lumped together in translation. Sichuan food is by far the most ma food in China, but it ain't the most la. That's like Hunan or Guizhou food which most of my friends here in Sichuan openly admit they're afraid of cuz it's too spicy. Hunan food is generally way spicier than most texmex/central American stuff. Really authentic hunan food is just kinda sadistically spicy, tbh. A friend of mine from shanghai said the food there is so spicy because it's so awful to live in hunan they make the food spicy enough so that they can forget. Shanghai people really seem to hate people not from Shanghai.

Mexican stuff is having some weird boom in chengdu right now and a ton of places have opened and seem popular in the last year. As it's all tortilla+rice+meat+veg it makes sense it'd be popular here though.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

Does anyone know what those things on the plate are?

Look like longan- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longan

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

basic hitler posted:

Imo mao was bad and did nothing good

the official CCP stance is 30% bad 70% good. I always thought it was weird they had that as an official thing.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

nickmeister posted:

But many of them try really hard NOT to immerse themselves in foreign culture.

This isn't really a chinese issue as much as a going to a different culture thing, and international students are always crappy at socializing if they have a more similar group to attach to. The number of Chinese students at like every US uni is huge now cuz they all want that sweet international student money so the problem gets compounded.

I studied abroad in Asia a couple times as an undergrad and most of the european/north americans who spoke English decently, myself included, formed little cliques and p much never talked to any locals and lived in a small space between the dorms and the nearby (mainly expat) bars. We lived in Taipei for like 6 months and everyone in our class socialized with only the other English speaking European or north American students, and no one socialized with any local Taiwanese college kids despite the faculty really trying to get us to.

I don't think any of us knew any Taiwanese people despite all that time there. One kid from Spain remarked his English improved way more than his Chinese during his time in Taiwan.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

nickmeister posted:

I'm really glad I didn't go to Taipei. Can't really say I have any Taiwanese friends, but I have plenty of acquaintances and very rarely get dragged into English conversation.

It's not Taipei as much as a group thing. If there's a group of more culturally relatable people with less of a language barrier most people aren't going to branch out because it's more work and more awkward.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I can't speak for Korea, but years ago at least at your average cram school in China it was p cheap to get a teacher over. Visa fees were the biggest thing and training was virtually non-existent. Even the good teachers left after like a year on average, either for another school at a higher salary or out of the country, so that whole process was streamlined. Generally visa requirements like "have a college degree" and "be a native english speaker" were loosely enforced at best so you could get about anyone over.

I've read with China's visa rules becoming way more strict that's slowly changing, but who knows.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

When I was a teacher I once gave a kid with terrible english who wrote a terrible paper and failed all his tests a bad grade and I got told off by my boss since the mother decided the class wasn't working and wanted to pull him out of the classes.

Also once I was teaching a class of pretty smart kids to prep them for US or European universities. They all had really good English and were graduates of a nearby international school, so the class was more about how to write essays and do research and junk than anything else. Early on I gave them an assignment to write a paper about why they wanted to go to school abroad, and this one kid who probably had the best English in the class wrote his about how he wanted to go to college in America because American girls had bigger boobs than Chinese girls.

Those are my ESL stories.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Well, did he sell it? What grade did you give him?

I gave him good marks since it was p well written and structured but said he would need to think of another reason for his university application personal statements.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Imperialist Dog posted:

I thought China had an Uber-like app which gained use from the totally coincidental banning of Uber?

this post is from a thousand years ago but didi (china's version of uber/lyft, backed by both alibaba and tencent so it's basically unstoppable here) bought uber's chinese branch because uber decided to stop losing money in china. From what I read they sold it for more than they invested here so uber actually still made out pretty good.

Once the buyout was done, they released a new uber app for the Chinese market to avoid confusion with the rest-of-the-world app and a ton of white people got mad because it was in Chinese only. There were giant screeds written on blogs about how uber-china is discriminating against non-chinese speakers and it should be illegal or something. I mean the localization would probably make sense but the world is ending responses that came out were p funny.

Reminds me of when a couple of weeks ago I was at a bar and overheard two old english dudes complaining about how much non-english they heard in the UK when they were last there, and also how annoying it is they can't just use English everywhere in China.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

JaucheCharly posted:

Taiwan goons, how is the best China's chabuduo game? I want to know, is it something that communist rule brought forth?

I'm always like 4 pages behind but here's popular Taiwanese rapper MC Hot Dog's most famous song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrqKvu-rqIc

It's called Mr. Chabuduo, and he says 差不多 about 43000 times in it.

e: and here's my favorite mc 热狗 song, “Wo ai tai mei" which is seen by PRC officials as a subversive anti-mainland song which just made it more popular with younger Chinese kids when it came out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ8mn5fS5_M

Do it ironically posted:

my wife wants to take a job in beijing (not english teaching), it pays $3,000 US a month, and they provide flights, medical insurance, and housing

im trying to tell her how awful it can be living there when you dont speak the language and are pasty white but she doesn't get it

if you don't have any housing expenses is $3,000 US a lot or a little ?

Beijing has so many white people and so much english those are not the reasons you should/shouldn't go. Other people wrote a lot of good reasons to think about, but Beijing has such a large number of english speaking expats and services set up for them this is the least of your concerns.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 23, 2017

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Blistex posted:

Talked about this before, but unless you're actually wearing a respirator, you're not filtering more than a very, very small percentage of the pollution in the air. The people you see walking around with surgical masks are essentially breathing unfiltered air since they're not designed to filter anything smaller than people's phlegm and don't create an air-tight seal on the face. The disposable 3M masks with the filter sticking out of the front are a decent temporary solution, but the seal around the face can be problematic for some people.

This guy did fit tests and got > 90% efficiency with 3 kinds of the disposable N95 3M masks: http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/children/my-personal-fit-testing-heres-the-best-pollution-mask-for-me/ I'm sure if he did, most people could get better than a very small percentage.

The people wearing cloth surgical masks are for sure getting nothing but most things I've seen show the 3M ones do filter out a lot of >= 2.5nm particles.

The 3M masks are available at every 7-11 or Family Mart for p cheap and even cheaper online, I see most people wearing them these days. I dunno if it's regional but the people here do all sorts of protests about the pollution and most days I see > 50% of people wearing proper masks, and that number seems to be rising.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Kopijeger posted:

I wonder: do Chinese people expect every yellow person to naturally speak Chinese? What about Indians or Africans?

Chinese people don't even expect Chinese people to speak Chinese, if by Chinese you mean Putonghua anyway. You constantly meet people who claim they themselves cannot speak Chinese (because they speak heavily accented Putonghua) or elderly people who only speak a topolect of Chinese like shanghainese, cantonese, minnan, etc... If you're in a huge city like Shanghai or Beijing and you're under 70 years old there's probably an expectation you speak Putonghua but once you get into the sticks that drops quickly. If you go somewhere like Urumqi, Inner Mongolia or Tibet there's almost no expectation at all people will speak Putonghua. One of my coworkers is going to Tibet over Chinese new year and was really worried no one would speak Chinese in Lhasa, which is also kinda silly.

But there is a familial expectation to speak the language your grandparents did,, which can get crazy. I've heard Chinese-American friends of mine complain about how their family is distraught they don't speak this one weird dialect of Shandonghua, and even native Chinese friends say the same thing after their family moved away from the homeland for 2-3 generations.

Kids these days being raised on TV and stuff mostly speak putonghua, though usually accented. That's leading to a rise in people trying to protect their topolects. Shanghai especially has been trying to preserve Shanghainese with language schools for kids and stuff.

One time I asked an Asian dude in my gym in China how many sets he had left on some machine (in Chinese), and he yelled at me in English about how he was American and I shouldn't assume everyone speaks Chinese in China, so I guess I am actually the most guilty of this.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

McGavin posted:

You know your city is Chinese when you see a homeless white guy say "Ni hao ma? Gong hei fat choy," to everyone while he's panhandling.

This guy is gonna get nowhere mixing mandarin and cantonese like that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

dumb and kinda scared posted:

Whats the general vie in China about this new movie with Matt Damon where European mercenaries pretty much saved China from reptiloid monsters?

It came out last year and was advertised to all hell before doing not great. I had read it did ok it's first week but then dropped off to nothing. Reviews were all bad.

Insofar as the white protagonist thing, i didn't see any ire about it. I asked my friends when it was blowing up stateside and it ranged from "who cares" to "it's cool a big star like Damon is in a Chinese movie".

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

hakimashou posted:

I had a (Han Chinese) friend who hated eating at Muslim restaurants because "rats walk on everything."

He was uncomfortable around Chinese muslims because when he was a kid someone told him that they robbed people and threatened to stab them with the A I D S needle.

Tough poo poo for him because I loved me some Chinese Muslim food.

What Chinese muslim group are they talking about? I have never heard a bad stereotype about the Hui, and their restaurants are always packed. In fact the Hui are like the model minority group in China, if one exists.

Now if you're talking about Uighur yeah that's a total thing here. The bad stereotypes are usually about Uighurs and (not Muslim but also explicitly not Han Chinese) Tibetans and Mongolians, but not Hui. My city has Tibetan and Uighur districts that always have increased police presence and uncomfortable looking Han people clutching their bags and crossing the street if they see an obviously Uighur or Tibetan person coming up in front of them.

Uighur food is super awesome, Tibetan food not so much.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Haier posted:

TYPICAL ANECDOTAL FOREIGNER EXPERIENCE:
A lot of people here read books on their phones because it's easier to download an ePub instead of buying a physical book (and free, the main reason). However, the majority I've asked are reading something related to a work exam, or something for a promotion, etc. It's all related to "how can I improve my work/job prospects," rather than for pleasure or learning something not-money-related. Women tend to read health books, but it's hocus pocus TCM advice thing about how drinking water is the reason they are getting fat, so they need to quit drinking water, etc.
There was that news story about the industry of IP-knock-offs (domestic fan fiction) becoming very popular, but that's LOL and also read on the phone.

I have had countless people, who use their phones to read books, tell me that my actual ebook reader is bad for my eyes and I shouldn't be using it because I will go blind from the screen. I used to try to explain what e-paper is and refresh rates on screens, but I was always told the usual "Maybe... I don't know," Face bullshit that doesn't allow them to admit they don't know about something. Now I just say "No, you're wrong," and leave it at that.

My experience is kinda the opposite. I see e-readers quite often at cafes and stuff, but really who cares if people read on their phone? That's a weirdly specific and not at all unique to China thing to nitpick. Even though I have a Kindle I still read books on my phone on the bus or subway cuz it's about 100x easier to take out on crowded public transport.

e: whoops misread you a bit, missed that they were telling you it's better than eink. that's silly.

Also Chinese fiction does have some good stuff, though, yeah, it isn't huge in number. One recent example is Three Body Problem is pretty good & also won the Hugo last year. The fact both Taiwan and the PRC had an iron grip on the media until the 1980s coming off of WW2 and a civil war or kind of slowed output of decent fiction, though.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 2, 2017

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Koramei posted:

Justifying it with that in mind is basically just a repeat of the European colonial "have a civilized power modernize and uplift them for their own good" argument is the thing. I don't think Tibet having been horrific precludes criticism of China's actions there 70 years later.

Although yeah people are pretty naive when it comes to Buddhism. I still hear the laughable "no Buddhist state has ever waged a war of aggression" thing from time to time, even.

Years ago I was in western Sichuan and Qinghai, which are on the Tibetan plateau and still 99% Tibetan people but at least at that time like 100x easier to go to since there's less visa/documentation required to go there, hanging out in the restaurant/common are of the hostel I was staying in. This place was kind of in the middle of nowhere, and it was mainly younger Chinese people traveling through, but there was one other white dude in the place so he came up to talk to me. He was almost a caricature of himself since he was a white dude with dreads and the first thing he said to me was "Hi, blah blah, by the way I'm vegan."

He then went on to complain to me about how the Chinese destroyed traditional tibetan culture cuz everyone ate so much yak and yak milk and yak cheese and they weren't all vegans like they used to be. I didn't really feel like correcting him but I do wonder if he ever found out not much grows 5000m above sea level and they've always been very heavy on animal products.

Also this was right after the 2008 Olympics and there was a weird travel ban on French people in Tibetan areas because some people went there to try and start a revolt or something, so everywhere I went I had to go through extra checkpoints to make sure I wasn't French. One time at one of those stops when on a bus, the cop/whatever he was said I "looked" French and was very suspicious of my American passport, but the Chinese dude I'd been chatting with on the bus managed to convince him to let us go.

Overall that trip was A+ would go again.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

shhhh, it was the only one I could think of on short notice that involved slapstick, they don't have to know (I was even going to do Otto but that was a bit too far I think)

Also kinda digging this sudden outpouring of German speakers in China thread. Too bad that the Chinese didn't pick up lessons the same way the Japanese did; they got the bread and beer down to loving pat

Meanwhile, the best the Chinese can do is Tsingtao. That's just goddamn sad.
It is probably true that today is the best time ever to be a Chinese peasant.
The question is how terribly impressive that is...

Qingdao is surprisingly way better if you're actually in Qingdao. Chinese brands have little interest in maintaining an idea of quality or consistency in a brand, so most just license the name out to whoever pays them the most. Qingdao and Snow do this and the quality varies wildly. Generally the Qingdao you're drinking was made at whatever random brewery paid Qingdao Beer the most to slap their label on it. They don't give a gently caress about the quality as long as it's not actively killing people, I guess. In some cities you can actually buy the real Qingdao beer but they make it 3-4x the price and call it something dumb.

Now it's not like a super duper good beer or anything, but if you're in Qingdao itself it's totally serviceable and a clear step up from other mass market Chinese beers (which is of course the lowest bar ever). I lived there for a year after having lived elsewhere in China before, and was surprised at the jump in quality. They also make an IPA and a stout now which aren't too bad, especially considering the price.

Bread in China however is a totally lost cause and outside of a few specialty bakeries in relatively developed cities it's a crapshoot.

But Japan is some sort of weird alcohol genius that stands above most places. They make p much the best whiskey in the world, and a lot of the best beer. I've even had Japanese rum which was really good too.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

Taiwan, like Japan, has fine beer and great whiskey, and Taiwanese people love whiskey.

They also have good gaoliang/baijiu here if you like that. We got some new teachers in a few months ago who had been working in Georgia (the country, not the state) for a while and I had them try Taiwanese gaoliang. Not even bad stuff, just a decent bottle. They both said it was the worst thing they'd ever tasted. Worse than bootleg Georgian liquor.

Taiwanese whiskey is p good. Got any recs for Taiwanese beer? I'll look around for it. When I was there the only one I think I tried was TAIWAN BEER which wasn't offensively bad, I guess?

Gorilla Salad posted:

What do small Tibetan villages do for food?

I've always wondered how tiny towns surrounded by ice and bare rock manage.

I dunno what they ate historically, but it's a lot of root vegetables and yak products now. They had leafy greens when I was there but they were as or more expensive than yak meat at most places.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ganguro King posted:

Do Chinese also call other asians "laowai"? Or is it like the Thai word "farang" where it mostly just applies to white people?

Yeah it's mainly people from europe or the americas. I have black friends here who are also get referred to as laowai so I think it's more "not obviously from asia" than anything else these days.

Most Asian people get their own, or several, very pejorative words. Japanese are ghosts/dogs/etc, Koreans are sticks, Indians are "A San" and I don't know the etymology of that one, etc... etc... These are also super commonly used , even when the people are talking positively about the country or person from that country in question.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Aren't black people commonly referred to as 黑人 in China still? I know they are in Taiwan.

They're even referred to as that in America!

China too though, but I meant laowai seems to be a catch-all for non Asian foreigner in semi-polite terms. Like a Chinese American would never be laowai, for instance where "这个老外” “那些老外” 等等 has also referred to black people in my experience. But that isn't the only thing I've ever heard then referred to by any mean.

I've been called a 白人 and other things like 洋鬼子 and 美鬼子 (last one is very Sichuan-y) from time to time as well, but laowai is supposed to be the sort of polite one.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

In Japan they don't write names but some of the girls at the one near my office draw cute characters on the sleeve because I'm a regular

There's one barista at a starbucks near my office building who does this. She's on a pokemon kick now and two of my coworkers got pikachu and snorlax on their cups recently, and the guy who got snorlax got sad cuz he assumed it was her calling him fat.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

There's one called laser egg by a company called origin that a lot of people I know have. Dunno how much it is or how accurate, but it does seem to generally follow what the us consulate says for the outdoor readings and whatnot so it's probably an ok barometer if nothing else.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

oohhboy posted:

Bloody hell, now I am coughing up this nasty poo poo from my lungs along with an almost perpetually slightly runny/bleeding nose. The air in this city really doesn't want me here. I had some expectations of pollution, but this is getting ridiculous with the symptoms at a "mild" 60 -70. Probably would have choked to death had I went up into mainland China.

Getting some seriously ripped calves as compensation.

If you're coughing up stuff then either you have a non-pollution related issue or the pollution is higher where you are (probably this one). 60-70 is what most cities are in general just cuz of cars and congestion. Just checking a map now London is 60 right now and Brussels is 70, Paris is close to 80. I mean it's still not good in the long run but if 60-80 caused major, immediate issues like 200+ can you'd hear about it way more.

Meanwhile I'd kill for 70 lol it's been around 200+ for the last few months where I am and HEPA filters are starting to get expensive.

I think I posted this here before but this is what the filters look like for the smaller purifiers in my office when we change them, new on the left and used for like 2~ months on the right.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

JaucheCharly posted:

Is this real? How are people going around without constantly hacking up coal dust?

It's real, and I dunno! The scariest part is where I am is not even half as bad as a lot of other places. I'm lucky enough to work in an office that has a bunch of purifiers in a building that already purifies the air. These days all the SG and HK owned office complexes will talk about their air filtration systems and average AQI indoors in their marketing materials, so there's a dystopian future thing made real.

I switched out the filters in the purifiers in my home last night but they weren't nearly as impressive.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

God I hate simplified.

I see this sentiment a lot from Chinese learners and it makes me wonder if there are ESL learners out there who see "color" or the word "eggplant" and go "Man stupid Americans don't know poo poo thank god for proper English from the UK".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think it's apples and oranges. The thing with traditional versus simplified is that it's not just one letter different. It's pretty easy to figure out that color and colour are the same word, especially since it's a consistent pattern. I actually had to Google Translate what ladron wrote because I had zero idea what it said.

For reference, here's the simplified and the traditional together:
选择 / 選擇

Adjacent it's more obvious, but on their own I thought the first character was going to be pronounced like 先 (xian) and the second like 棒 (bang). But of course it was xuan and ze respectively.

The thing is, the increased complexity of traditional doesn't make them any harder to learn. As long as you are learning the characters mnemonically and slowly learning a stable of radicals and then expanding on them, it's pretty simple. The different radicals tend to inform the meaning of the character or the pronunciation and there's a logical progression to them. Simplified largely throws all of that away. Plus, they're just ugly, though I guess that's more subjective than the other reasons.

In 2017 this is true, but when handwriting was how you had to get poo poo done simplified characters had a lot more appeal. These days it's not really better or worse and it's all about aesthetics, which is why you still see traditional characters all over the mainland and they have even had talks about bringing them back every now and again.

If you wanna read about some even wackier things than simplification check out Gwoyeu Romatzyh which is from the ROC era and who's designers thought it could potentially even replace characters entirely.

• Locked thread