Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lol they moved the Japan thread to LAN too. how racist is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
efb

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Wedemeyer posted:

“They didn’t restore the carvings back to where they belonged and just tossed them aside,” Mr. Liu said. “They used new bricks to fill in the original spots, and that saved a lot of expense.”"

Fifteen years of studying this piece of history, and they loving wrecked it. Can't wait to see this on a future cracked dot com '5 times historical monuments were destroyed' article.

one could argue this is a pretty significant act of historical accuracy tho

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The Great Autismo! posted:

Wife and I have saved more than enough and aren't worried at all about the money. If I don't get paid full on the 15th we can always leave to Japan while we wait for the next move. I know one or two people that are living paycheck to paycheck so if I were in that situation yes I'd worry, but my entire mantra has been "you have to be able to up and leave at a moments notice in China" and we'll see if everyone has taken that advice. I mean my first paycheck in China I put 7,000rmb in my sock drawer for an emergency ticket if I needed it. I never have but you should always be ready to leave...always.

Oh, you got your passports back?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Gargamel Gibson posted:

My parents are flying to Hong Kong and taking a cruise to China and Vietnam. How does one make funeral arrangements when loved ones pass away overseas? Thanks.

pocket the money quietly.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

The other day my girlfriend was on the phone with an uber driver and just walked straight out infront of a car whilst looking in the wrong direction for him, I grabbed her arm and pulled her back and it missed her by about a centimetre, I then got screamed at for 10 minutes for pulling her arm.

i hope you learned your lesson

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This is definitely the right place to get tips on eye raping.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

oohhboy posted:

Air New Zealand has outsourced their Engineering to Singapore and it is dumb for different non-Chinese like reason. It's bad because they work very strictly to contract which means if one part of the aircraft is being worked on and another part has a defect it doesn't get noted down or fixed and if you insist it costs"Extra". At least the work contarcted is being done.

isn't that how a contract works?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Groups of Chinese tourists are taking pictures of me as I eat a hamburger at 8pm in a crowded metropolitan nightlife area in Japan.

you're in akihabara or kanda aren't you

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Holy poo poo at the cognitive dissonance of British papers, how does it get so bad?

"Yeah, our universities and our students are some of the best in the world and later go on to do amazing things with their lives. But why can't we be more like this dysfunctional third world country, whose education system has produced jack poo poo in the last two decades? Why can't we be more like them?" :qq:

tbf lots of countries want to emulate the US

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Koramei posted:

I mean I find it gross too but you guys realize there's really nothing actually wrong with chewing with your mouth open right? It's just cultural differences.txt. For all the mocking of Chinese people's dumb hangups, this is basically the same thing.

e: exception being if they spit on you while they're doing it which is legitimately rude as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRl6o83uSBs

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
For real though, any man who can't subjugate his domestics to do what his career demands has no business calling himself a man.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

oohhboy posted:

I think you are mistaking actual politeness for Face. As far as I can tell they are pretty western normal on a personal level. Their customer service is unparalleled though and has nothing to do with Face.

baaaahahahahahahahaha

*deep breath*

aaaaahahahahahahahaha

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

There is a certain art to sarcasm in Japanese, Like if you talk to a drunk guy on the subway as if he were an emperor it will get a laugh.

in the sense that ppl would probably laugh at you getting beat up by a drunk, yes

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

You know that happens in every country on the planet, right? Like how oblivious do you have to be...

out of curiosity can you cite an incidence of this happening in the united states? i'd genuinely like to see it if you can.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

It was literally illegal for non whites to marry white people for the majority of the United States' history you loving moron.

those were americans, not foreigners, you racist

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ladron posted:

nah, I feel bad enough coming in this here China and ranting about Korea like a crazy neighbor

and, no offense to them, but the Korea thread seems kinda full of super cliquey Korean apologists

Nah man, after that setup you gotta at least post one or two.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ladron posted:

:stare:

Satisfied?

no, post more

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

He's right though, Japan really isn't on the same level as China or Korea.
I mean, while China was having the cultural revolution Japan was being run by Americans so it just kinda figures things would be a little better.

:smug:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ladron posted:

for real, I have seen businessmen sleeping next to piles of vomit on the steps of their office buildings, using their loving shoes as a pillow, because the boss made stay out drinking all night. I have seen this MULTIPLE THOUSANDS OF TIMES.

#blackoutkorea is a real thing that really exists for a real reason

EDIT - but yeah, tell us about korean ladies night....

This definitely happens in Japan, along with puking/passing out in the trains, but it doesn't seem to be as widespread as y'all are saying it is in Korea.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ladron posted:

I kinda got the vibe tho that FOR REAL unlike koreans the japanese were pretty chill drunks tho...c/d?

Well the society as a whole is p big on the notion of not creating a nuisance for surrounding people, so that would help create that impression. On the other hand there's signs on train platforms asking people to refrain from headbutting and throwing liquids on the station conductors so there's a pretty big range of variation I guess.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, only people I've seen getting pretty rowdy in Tokyo have been Marines and Australians. It wasn't uncommon to see a drunk older guy screaming at people at the bigger stations around midnight or so, but that's about all I can think of.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

THE PWNER posted:

I was really on board with Haier but now I think this is all made up because he's discussing "Vagina Tightness."

have you never read The Godfather?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It's probably this: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cystocele/basics/definition/con-20026175

Would suggest she get it looked at, but lol China.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Personally i think china could use more adventurous, brave, female teaching talent and less fat balding white losers who travel half way across the planet because they can't get laid at home. At least one of the two doesn't engender deep seated resentment among the local populace.

yo getting turned down by chinese chicks p much guarantees you got no chance whatsoever with the white ones. sry dude.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Dammit, what was that blog post with the incredibly bitter white expat lady who just wasn't getting any and was so angry at all the "loving losers" getting Asian ladies? I think she was in Japan but whatever, it was great

http://www.vagabondish.com/female-foreign-japan/

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i get no end of amusement from the way that china's advocates show it in a more damning light than its detractors

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Blistex posted:

He then proceeded to yell at her for embarrassing him in front of the limo driver.

lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
It actually speaks really well of most Americans that despite knowing the best language they're very open, indeed eager to become multi-lingual. What they lack is opportunity and the motivation to overcome it. After all, they speak the best language and so does the rest of the world to some extent or another.

Parallel to this is the abysmal level of English spoken in China. It's pretty depressing to think that such a large percentage of the earth's population lacks the gumption to learn the most important language in the world despite more than adequate resources being made available to them for free by the state and ample encouragement from the same to make full use of them. I don't see how Mandarin speakers outnumbering English speakers says anything good about the language, rather it says something really bad about the people.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

THE PWNER posted:

if you're learning a language as your primary pursuit in life you're bad at language learning mate. I am learning three disciplines at once, one of them is a language. Not tough... Mate.

But then again all native English speakers are bad at language learning.

But your English is terrible?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I live in Japan, speak Japanese and wish I'd learned French.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Blistex posted:

Subconsciously they believe that nobody who is not Han Chinese can learn Mandarin, so they behave like that is true, despite being show the opposite a few moments later. In their heads they just assume she only knows those exact 147 words that got her through that 58 second conversation, and knows absolutely no more Mandarin than that. (Example).

Since that's how they learn English that makes sense though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ladron posted:

Basically he was saying something like foreigners can't eat uncooked food like sushi. I said something like, "Foreigner? Don't call me a foreigner. This isn't Korea. You're the foreigner here. Bitch." (the bitch part was in English). Shut him up real quick.
I'm sure it is nothing special to anyone else, but to me it was like popping a zit.

The nanosecond you were out of earshot he turned to whoever he was talking to and said, "Wow, the foreigner speaks Korean!"

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That they went to such extravagant lengths to fake these ppl into permanent residence only to just keep using the same address over and over is Chinese af.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Operation was a success and the patient died!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

posting on page 88 of the China thread

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

don't sign your posts

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

am I the only one who unironically likes FBR and appreciates him posting itt?

no i reckon he appreciates himself posting. you're probably the only one that likes him though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

Seriously?

Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sheep-Goats posted:

It hasn't been tested ever really but it's almost certain that there is no such thing as a dogfight any more, if you get seen you get a missile up your rear end and there's no way to dodge a modern anti air missile. However the last time there were possible dogfights having better visibility was one of the most important things about your aircraft as a lot of scenarios lead to this pattern of your plane and your opponent's plane trying to go straight to into the air to get higher than the other one. At some point no jet can sustain going straight up any more and tips back toward earth and at this point you really want to be able to see your opponent so you can either plan for a round two if he's higher than you by twisting into a position that forces that or else come down on top of him so you can shoot at him if you're higher. There are probably other reasons too but feedback from pilots is going to involve visibility pretty often.

Isn't this the exact same thing they said about the F4 and probably some other planes only to find out that due to convoluted rules of engagement dogfights weren't only happening but common?

• Locked thread