Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Bajaj posted:

Li Bingbing and Winston Chao? Holy loving pandering.

Was going to get the larger one, but I think it conveys the concept rather well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

value-brand cereal posted:

From this month's National Geographic magazine article about bird fossils...

I want to give the benefit of the doubt, but the 2020 makes be believe in the worst. 2020 huh? Just churning out entire genomes, faster better stronger preciser drafts of bird genomes. Ok. ok.

Someone will eventually run their own bird genomes and if any discrepancies happen, the sheer face loss...
What's expat money on? Rogue scientists, blaming the disputed findings finder, or "no why, not wrong" excuse?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Power Khan posted:

What's the serious alternative to US hegemony? Free for all powervacuum, or hegemony by an authoritarian state? How's that supposed to improve the state of the world?

Pretty much some corporatist oligarchy, as it would be the only kind of power structure that has the current arrangements built in to just roll up and take over.

Doomsday answer would be if the states became corporatist semi-nations vying for power :unsmigghh:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Cultural appropriation is a real thing to an extent and does exist and can be an actual issues; someone in TFR once brought up the fact that Native American arts are specifically protected in order to preserve their authenticity and make sure the art stays authentic and is available as a source of income to people who may need said income, to prevent them being driven out of business by impostors trying to capitalize on the cachet of Native American culture. I think that's a good example of actual cultural appropriation that is potentially materially damaging to the original cultures.

However, someone just wearing clothing or hairstyles affiliated with a certain culture being put forth as serious cultural appropriation is seriously nebulous insofar as what the actual terms should be in a multicultural world and who should be the arbiter of "correctness". Who has a right then to wear it? Would a half Chinese girl be okay to wear a Qipao? A quarter? Does she have to be Han? Manchu? (as mentioned by GF). This is even before you get into the dynamics of how it's virtually exclusively Western/Westernized people of (even if of Asian ethnicity usually either citizens or Western educated) who are the most given to making noise about it, which is a whole other level of problematic, as it could sometimes literally be a case of Westernized people intentionally depriving authentic artists of a new market and customers.

And that's before you get into how virtually every single current culture is the result of thousands of years of mixing various close by cultures and creating new things based on that.

tl;dr version - where's the line between wearing authentic clothes and wearing a costume? Especially American Indians, they got shafted so hard, their pottery needs protection from further shafting.

But if everybody fucks everybody else, then it doesn't matter, does it? :shrug:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

By this token, if counterculture adopted only part of a CCP thing and made it morally subversive, could they theoretically ban a CCP thing eventually?

Like banning the whole five piece suit by banning one piece at a time, for example?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

It's a bridge. It's probably one of those "speed limit is so low for no apparent reason" situations. Most bridges around here people regularly do 160km/h+ on in shitbox cars. Intentionally gunning it on a bridge in a real nice car makes sense. People speed so much and old people whine so much about it that sometimes they park police cars at the entrance to the bridge lmao.

Yeah, but embedding a supercar into a concrete divider doesn't run the risk of destroying a suspension line or bucking the roadway enough and dropping a length of thoroughfare into a water feature.

Lupin posted:

Tour group of Chinese students visiting a local elementary school. 99% of them huddled shoulder-to-shoulder in the shade, and it's only 70°f/20°C out.

I'm the collective body heat reaching like 85°F in the shade, but not the resulting bad breath-grade perspiration.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I love the nine dash line because A) it's incomprehensible to me how average people can actually care about a border dispute and B) it's such an incredibly brazen territory grab. So many border disputes are disputes about a border but that one is literally just "lol yeah we're just going to violate all international standards by taking this entire sea just because we're giant assholes :dealwithit:"

How much hurt feelings would occur if the nine dash line was outlining the "Southeast Asian Seas" as opposed to the South China Seas?

Also :lol: China is jealous of America's Flori-dong on the map, they need one of their own.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cry Havoc posted:

but you better believe they won’t stop calling it burma lol

Nah, BBC calls it "country of Myanmar, formerly known as Burma"

It's like "A Tribe Called Quest" you have to say the whole thing

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah they're just rightfully scared that those products in China are fake. They don't trust importers to be genuine either.

Going to Japan to buy like twelve rice cookers apiece is more of a mystery but I assume there's reselling or the entire extended family has demanded them or something going on there. That's another thing, mainlanders will demand tribute if you go abroad so some people are buying those 80 cans of baby formula not for themselves, but for everyone they know.

China may hate Japan, but they don't hate Japanese products. Besides, fancy rice cookers with actual accurate temperature gauges, a keep-warm mode, and--most importantly--the multiple tunes and chimes for when it finishes cooking really scratch that conspicuous consumption itch and scream "premium import" to all the people who eat rice as guests in your house.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I was talking to a recent immigrant from rural china and he said the thing he liked the best in Canada is that there's no bandits. He was saying in rural china actual highwaymen are a big problem where he lived and you always had to carry cash because if you were walking from one village to another there was a good chance they'd stop you and you'd have to pay. Sometimes they were straight up bandits threatening violence, sometimes they were semi-officials of some sort just extracting bribes from the locals, but either way it was always a looming threat.

I thought China had no crime?!

Funny thing about crime statistics: there's only statistics for paperwork-related and reported crime. Anything not reported and anything that doesn't get written documentation doesn't count.

So that barfight where they're slamming each other with chairs? Participants throw enough RMB around to pay for things, bribe the cops, and it "never happened" as a crime. No trouble for anybody, and everyone saves face.

Or when you get pulled over and the cop just gives you a warning.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bajaj posted:

Chaoshan Girl's brother's wife had a new baby some months ago. Now they have two boys, but the brother actually likes this one, so the older boy is now double-ignored and neglected by his dad compared to before. She says when he comes home from work, he sits on the couch, starts smoking, and doesn't acknowledge the toddler trying to get attention because his phone is more important. She said he's never bought the kid toys before, or tried to play with him.
This is the guy that makes his housewife borrow money from him to buy groceries to feed the family, even though he makes like $10-15k USD or more per month. When he's feeling moody and they argue he doesn't give her any money so she can't feed the kids and he just shrugs his shoulders, and she has to go to CG or her parents to ask for money. The guy is like 25, got married at 21, and still can't flush the toilet after using it or boil water without starting a fire, so he's a typical Chaoshan male according to CG. Like many of the Chaoshan guys that act as middlemen for buyers, they skipped high school to go directly into earning money, so their faculty of life-long knowledge is stuck around an 8th grade Mainland education. Not the fancy mega-city education, but the village school education. Money is the only thing that matters, along with alcohol, cigarettes, and mistresses. Everything else is for chumps and losers and people who were never smart enough to get rich quick.

CG was over at his house and watching the wife prepare the meal for the baby. Like many modern Chinese women, she has a list of malnutrition problems, can't lactate, and has to give formula. CG was watching and saw the woman take plain tap water and pour into the shaker bottle to mix the formula. She asked her why they don't filter their water, or buy a filter like she has in her house (a large 5-part reverse osmosis filter that cost around $200 USD). The brother was nearby and was shocked at this idea of spending money on water.

Him: "People didn't need to filter their water for thousands of years! They lived long lives. Filtering water is a scam! Did you notice only modern people filter water? Nobody did that before. Why can't we be like them?"
CG: "There's a lot of bad stuff in the water now, like lead, metals, bacteria. It's safer to filter the water. Your new baby shouldn't drink that, he is too young."
Him: "Did Confucius filter his water???"
CG: "What?"
Him: "There is nothing wrong with the water. It is a scam. You wasted your money on a filter because you are young and stupid. You just put the water in the cup and drink it, but people like you want to make it complicated."
CG: "Your baby is too young for this."
Him: "You don't have any kids, what do you know about how to take care of a baby?"

Anyway, lol. I want to meet this guy but I am the big shame. CG's mom and sister know about me, but her mom was so upset that CG made "close" friends with a foreigner that she's kept it a shameful secret from everyone. The mom brought in a rabid pack of Chaoshan aunties and forced CG to take them out to dinner, and they passive-aggressively berated women who date foreigners, saying they are all prostitutes, traitors to China, mentally unstable, and low quality people, and she needs to consider finding a Chaoshan man or else she will never have a happy home life. CG was loling at irony, because every one of these women hated their husbands and all had to tolerate the breadwinner spending 3-4 nights per week with his mistress.

Could one presumably double down on ignorance and claim that "all the good schools in the city" teach the thing that you're arguing for?
Like, as to Confucius having filtered water: "Yes the high class schools in the city teach about Confucius and his filtered water, have you been to a real big city school with real big city education?"

I'm already inclined to believe it wouldn't work based on all the anecdotes on Chaoshan and the people there, but theoretically, would it work somewhere on the mainland?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tekne posted:

You have to admire The Party's ingenious solution to the male overpopulation issue. Soon China will be conquering their neighbors so they can marry their women to millions of lonely boys, who will also be the ones invading.

Fun fact: In Age of Empires II, if you kill all the other team's women, they lose, because no women means no future. :eng101:

Funner fact: you can do that to yourself, much like China has done to itself over the past decades.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Food and stuff. China has way better delivery services than the west and has for some time, but there are some that target the "can't read chinese and scared of google translate" crowd and charge accordingly.

Like Eleme or Meituan, the two big Chinese apps, generally charge between ¥2-¥10 for delivery, but the ones catering to expats like Sherpas start at ¥20-¥25 and go higher for all sorts of random reasons. I've also sometimes seen the food is straight up more expensive on Sherpas than Meituan or Eleme, so the restaurants are getting in on it to.

The same thing for this site called Baopals which is basically a site you pay some people to order from Taobao for you if you're scared of doing it yourself/have no Chinese friends or coworkers to teach you where the "check out" button is on the page. I'm not sure how well that one does, though.

e: I looked it up and they're doing pretty well. Looks like for the time being it's a pretty decent business model.

Middlemanning any business in China seems to be how the government makes ends meet, or is that just my hot take on foreign relations?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

If you're coming over as an educator it depends. Most universities and public schools will probably double check to see that they are paying for a legit MBA/PHD. Some private schools might as well. Now if you're looking for private tutoring sessions, then a decent Photoshop/Print job will probably do. Just wear a shirt and tie and looks professional and nobody will question your credentials.

Grand Fromage posted:

University of Photoshop was big for a while but I have noticed places here starting to check on credentials. I think you could still get away with it but you'd probably have to apply to a lot of jobs and get lucky.

Could you quality(5-piece?) suit and fancy business card a menial tutoring job to the point where you can cause face loss if they don't believe your shtick?

The term "con man" was originally "confidence man", after all

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

immigrating away.)

:eng101: emigrating.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How long till China can steal the plans to build a Gundam?

Based on articles and all the politics/business/court nonsense I like watching, I think this is what you meant

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps some play on words using "panda" and "pander" relating to China being exclusive and special?

"The ancestral home of the panders", but there's no way to say that without being misconstrued as a jab at the speech patterns of Chinese speaking people.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Is it me, or are a lot of those criticisms really more cultural leaning? Not to dismiss racism 100%, but as observations without context, they read more like "look at these brainless hicks" than any sort of :biotruths:

Leads me to question the credentials and biases of this editor.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pro PRC Laowai posted:

So what you’re essentially saying is that this thread is incredibly racist, to the point where even Einstein himself would blush, yet posters in this circlejerk of hell enjoy using the ‘b b but Chinese aren’t a RACE they’re a NATIONALITY’ line as a get out of jail free card?

Very insightful.

This argument would be valid, if the Uyghurs weren't sequestered in their own region, monitored and denied travel in their own country for "reasons".

Why yes, the US does, in fact, do incredibly racist poo poo, especially ICE, but that has nothing to do with the tea, pee, or racism of China against fellow Chinese.

I said "pee" because President Dotard J Trump is a pissbrain, you see

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hypnophant posted:

Securing Xinjiang in no way gives the Chinese access to two oceans

No, but it gives them another step in securing Himalayan water, which they will undoubtedly "5000 year history" and bus peasants to squat land until they can steal it, with or without legitimate claim.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Passport shenanigans conclusion:

They found it! Somewhere in teh Guards room. I am loathe to ask too many questions. When they had me up in the office "reviewing the footage", after about 20 minutes, the securioty guard shadowing me gets a phone call. tells me to wait and he nips down to the gate, fiddles about a bit for 5 mins and returns with my passport!

All it took was some yelling and threatening to go to the police.

I guess that is China for you, all it takes is one misplaced envelope, and adventure awaits.

Possible it was going to be "leverage" to screw over the foreigner, if this thread's anecdotes are at all reliable.

Also possible: identity theft so they can send some Chinese guy to Australia using your specifics. They already have your info, and how long you're going to be there. This one is more speculation, but given the amount of saturation China is trying to do to Australia, it's a possibility, at least.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Type 002 is supposed to have electromagnetic catapults and the Type 003 is supposed to be nuclear powered and have lasers and railguns (lol).

I think the hilarious part is, if you look hard enough you can find nuclear engine designs on the open internet(even if the USAS "cannot confirm or deny" the design being so similar, the only difference is standard vs metric), and yet the indisputed world leader as of 2015 2020 2025 can't make a ship-sized nuclear reactor that wouldn't melt the crew and make a Godzilla breeding ground in the Southeast Asian Sea.

As for lasers and railguns, just get those 4k lumen blue lasers and tape them to the sides. And military grade catapult designs for the "unlikely event" the railgun doesn't quits working

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you're in a country that uses Imperial(:patriot:) measurements, that would be the standard, yes. Also the opposition of metric meant it couldn't be that.

You'd have a point if I didn't mention the US Armed Services, though. Please respect the unnamed country's right to be egocentric about all matters without question or apology. :engleft:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Or just yell at him to move his loving poo poo.

And if he doesn’t get the clue then second guy can kick his poo poo and knock it across. I’m sure he will learn fast enough.

The truly American solution to rear end in a top hat suitcases is to "displace" one but not both of the suitcases in an arrangement of the utmost inconvenience: one on the train, one off the train.

senbe1 posted:

Speaking of laowai kicking suitcases, this happened a month ago in Taipei:

Foreign English teacher kicks elderly woman's suitcase, curses Taiwanese on Taipei MRT

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3424798

"Foreign", "baseball cap", "tattoos", "in English"...

And yet they still manage to toe the line in this dig at a foreigner:
"F**k all you Chinese"

Because Taiwan, Province of China isn't not China :china:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

peak debt posted:

Uhm among typical cooking oils, peanut oil is the one that is the most suitable for high temperatures.

I think avocado oil has taken the hipster supreme crown of "actually the best, if you haven't heard" but it actually might be in an unironic and subjective sense, as well

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Chinese "model" Tsunaina.

Eh, first picture is much like a model, but the composition of the other two pictures are considerably less flattering by comparison.

Still, not sporting a fivehead, or at the very least covered it well.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

China caps film star pay, citing 'money worship' and fake contracts

Yeah I'm sure money worship comes from celebrities and not just 5,000 years of selfish greed.

Mixed feelings on this

On one hand, it's putting the screws on literal tax evasion by signing two contracts and reporting only one. On the other hand, they're also limiting budgets for actors in total to at most 40% for all of them.

A cushy key grip is going to get a glorious windfall from the increase in pay for technical work, I think.

Aside from the whole "acquiring wealth" by taxing actors, I feel like there's another angle here, like big American actors were signed to something and this rule was specifically designed to gently caress them all over at once.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Escape Addict posted:

At first I thought you were using some kind of Thai racial slur, but after conducting some research, I've discovered you're correct:

They had to go somewhere after Uncle Xi banned them all from China along with Pooh :shrug:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think we're on the same page. These problems existed before and will out live the U.S, whose role can't be understated. But they are not the sole bearers of responsibility.

It looks more like: Thailand was known for this and given factors, will continue to be known for it, but the U.S. brought a ton of foreign capital, logistics, and economy at a very crucial time to cause a paradigm shift from "SEA's sex tourism place" to "the world's sex tourism place"

Which doesn't exactly contradict what you said, but does highlight that a subjectively minor contribution from a world superpower at the time was objectively a large contribution for the area, if not any other country in the world.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pro PRC Laowai posted:

That post wasn’t ironic either

Europeans are insufferable whiny little douchebags and the only people who feel pity for them are literal nazis

You cannot understand the inscrutable ways of the thatched roofs and cheeses rife with domesticated animal diseases, of crusading and antisemitism at the same time, or of the imperialism theft of nations' resources and subjugation of- oh, wait, maybe that last set you can understand.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

E: SK is tenth in suicide, it seems. Lithuania is higher. Japan is 26, US is 48. Guyana is first. China claims to be 115 but the statistics are considered to be bullshit, surprise surprise. But it does seem to be lower than Korea or Japan.

Lower per capita, maybe, but given the population differences, it's likely that China has more people die numerically.

Patrocclesiastes posted:

This IS from pages back again but i was carded in sendai entering a smoking lounge. Then a waitress evaluated My lucky strikes i was smoking and brought me three mevius cigarettes on a silver tray. As an autistic Finn i had to smoke them all while making small talk about where i came from and why am i in sendai in winter

As I recall, proper etiquette for turning down a cigarette is to accept it, but place it on the table, where the dessert flatware is positioned(above the plate placing). I can't for the life of me find the source material for that practice because all the results are how to get cigarettes by bumming them off folks or how to be "no smoking teens"

*post tawianflag.emoji to the forums*
*goon can't gibbis anymore*

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I like how they got the high-status foreigner co-author from :siren: Exeter University in England:siren: to co-author this paper.

While this could very well be accurate and interesting, it's a diamond in a latrine; that is to say, the questionable academics from China could affect this actually interesting development of the archaeological record.

Also, :ssh: they're actually Mongolian artifacts and reinforce the mongoloid branch of early humans

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Especially the Japanese bit. It may just be I primarily interact with the equivalent of backwoods Louisiana Chinese but like ascribing ability to hold liquor to Japanese seems super out of character.

If they were drinking any kind of rice wine, I could possibly see this happening, it's like how everyone in the Appalachian region can automatically drink moonshine like water, "it's a regional cultural thing" that's only true when spoken, and not true at all in practice.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What does Dale Mas mean?

Actually in Spanish it means "Give(to another) more" which, given the origin of the phrase on a dick pill, clearly indicates "Give her more" :eng101:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

fish and chips and dip posted:

MONTREAL (AFP) - A major black bear poaching ring has been broken up in Quebec, as demand for their gallbladders from enthusiasts of traditional medicine remains high, authorities said Wednesday (July 19).

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/americas/canada-says-bear-poaching-network-is-broken-up

No countries were named though.

It's domestic consumption, I think, with how many Chinese have invaded fled immigrated to Canada

Dr.Radical posted:

That’ll just mean you’ll be the one always chosen to take the Chinese business partners out for drinks. The reward for doing a good job is always more work

There's a price point where you turn down extra work, though. And when it comes to rear end kissing between businesses, either it's brief or it's obscenely well funded.

One thing money can't buy, though: peace and quiet on your time off.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

"Disappeared", mafia style, unless enough noise is made around them to force them to resurface, if only temporarily.

China's technology is really hampering their ability to do North Korea-style Cossack ops without getting caught.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

People have been asking about her, so she had to surface somewhere, like an international "wellness check" and China found a place where they could crack the door slightly with the chain still on and do the whole "I'm fine no crimes here" song and dance until people forget about it.

Kharnifex posted:

Heh

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/guest-at-billionaire-s-penthouse-party-convicted-of-sex-assault-20180723-p4zt5w.html

“How could this damaging embarrassment to the applicant in China be so significant to be so much more important that it significantly outweighs the principle of open justice?”

Sounds like Liu is going to get out of this Scott free, and Xu has been denied bail.

Does Australia have the thing where the court can keep the court from saying things, but you just ask the witness "where were you?" and then she says "a billionaire's penthouse" and :shrug: now it's part of public record, you can't redact that?

Also, wouldn't be surprised if her testimony was "helped" with a fatass bribe by the billionaire to not implicate him, as is the modus operandi for all rich people everywhere

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nickmeister posted:

Even third world countries have people with disposable income and lives of leisure. What's your point?

Are corporatocracies even countries? :thunk:

I think the point is that people who are actually able to effect positive change, or at least give it momentum, are all talk, and no action.

The hypocrisy is a given

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fojar38 posted:

it's american exceptionalism, most people just don't seem to realize that works both ways in that both "city on a hill" rhetoric and "america is literally the worst thing to happen to the world ever" are both examples of it

and american culture and ideology is so prevalent in the world of the 21st century that other countries have adopted the notion as well, usually for the purposes of deflection

America: the only place that is both the best and worst place at the same time. Taking the exceptional version of exceptionalism TO THE EXTREME! :911::krad::patriot:

• Locked thread