Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Reporting for duty. I wrote my dissertation about women who chose Christian and Jewish fundamentalist religious groups after growing up in liberal ones. Strapping in for this weird ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

MizPiz posted:

Fido969 sticking to his guns like every true freeper should. :freep:

Edit:

Oh poo poo, hope we get to read it at some point.

Oh that's funny. For some reason I thought everyone knew that and that's why I'm always saying things about right wing theology? It could just be my dreams/imagination more than actual posts though, I have a lot going on right now. Some parts of my diss are published; I'll see what I can dig up for you guys.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

sweart gliwere posted:

Since this thread is in the post-Malheur era (and since I skipped most of the old thread anyway), what was the general freep response and discussion like about the Bundy clan's awkward public insurr-edging session?

Are you only interested in Freepers? You can join us in the Bundy specific thread if it's your jam.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

quote:

To: Lurkinanloomin

As a high school educator, as well as a college instructor, I intentionally mispronounce names, especially if they are way to silly, and you know the ones. They get all pd off, and then I ask them to pronounce my ultra nordic last name, end of argument, but a lot of ha ha ha for me.

5 posted on 9/23/2016, 7:07:00 AM by krug

Someone in the replies points out that it should be "too silly."

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Sorry for double post, but another krug quote:

quote:

As an educator, a teacher of physical science in high school, I always, always, say off the cuff statements such as; “the myth of global warming”, “the scientifically unproven manmade climate change”, etc. Or...whenever we have a very cold day I”ll state how this must be the result of climate change. I will not teach anything related to this unproven yet accepted as fact climate change liberalism, but through my sarcasm, I believe most of my students are being educated that global warming is a hoax.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Geostomp posted:

So his official lesson plan is "if global warming, why cold?"

I'm a pretty even keeled little bird but this makes me livid.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

If you are homeschooled, isn't a spelling bee just against people in your homeschool group?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I know nothing about this, and thought probably they both were given a list of possible questions beforehand. No?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I've been a lifelong Democrat and registered R this year to vote in primary.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh noooo.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Seconded. Dale Reed passed because he was too good for this world in which Donald Trump is the Republican nominee.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think we should make some kind of hateful clip show of the best of Dale Reed. We will miss him!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The Rokstar posted:

I've been avoiding this thread lately but I saw this in USPol. Dalereed may have been a hate elemental but he was a succinct, honest hate elemental and that's kind of refreshing compared to what passes for rational dialogue at Freep these days.

Let the record now show that I have eulogized a Freeper.

Let the record show: Eulogy accepted, The Rokstar.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I suspect you are right about WENDLE, but I'm working on a project to distinguish different styles of writing anyhow. One of us scripted something that queried FreeRepublic.com a while back, right? Does anyone remember that and how I would find that script? I think it was to check the zott rate.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Which "th" sound? Like in "theory" or "there?" Related question - how to make IPA go on SA? Hmmm.

quote:

One of the first things to go will be the “th” sound, which will be replaced with “f”, “v” or “d”, so “mother” could become “muvver” and “think” will evolve into “fink"

These aren't even the same sounds. It's like they are arguing... Disingenuously.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

As a foreigner who's visited the UK quite a few times, the most times I've heard words like 'muvver' and 'fink' came from white people. Are the foreigners in this case the Saxons?

Yeah, I think it's just natural language change, which is associated with race and class. Prescriptivists will frequently flip out about this sort of thing.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Now I understand!

My phone always writes arcade when I want Akkadian. When would I ever be talking about arcades?!

Uh... My phone should just give up and lie down in traffic!

(How is my Dale Reed impression coming)

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

What else might they do with their money?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Does Freep know about the taxes yet?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The New York Times just released Trump's 1995 income taxes, showing almost a billion in loss, meaning he would not have paid federal income taxes for 18 years. At 9pm on Saturday night. While he was melting down at a rally. Trump thread is flying with Saturday night party goons.

Edit: he also said Clinton probably cheated on her husband.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 2, 2016

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

xthetenth posted:

This is too short a post, every bit of it needs to be elaborated on because it all sounds fantastic.

Here is a link!: https://is.gd/1mcgxm

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If you could be so kind as to link to the thread? I'd like to see the festivities and perhaps join in. Seeing bad things happen to trump fills me with glee.

Good luck! https://is.gd/eXJYs4

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Who was the one who advocated zyclon B and the others said he would go to hell?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

So the one small glimmer of truth in that poo poo pile of material is that the definition of PTSD did change while Obama was in office. We went from DSM IV to V in 2013. That decision was made by the various DSM committees: https://www.psychiatry.org/psychiatrists/practice/dsm

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I wish we could just host them here in a contained way.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a 4.2% margin of error really accurate, at least as these things go?

It depends!
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/09/08/understanding-the-margin-of-error-in-election-polls/

It seems to be normal with regard to their polling, though I don't know QU at all.
https://www.qu.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2384

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Oh. my. G-d. There is so much research on this question. But no, just speculate your anti-Semitic ideas. :allears:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Like I alluded to before, there's a bunch of academic attention to (even ultra Orthodox communities) Jewish voting D as a block, with some rare exceptions, and I can link some academic and lay stuff tomorrow. For now I'm phone posting in bed to enjoy pre sleep schadenfreude.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hi omnimom! I'm Wren. Welcome.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Which edition of Reefer Madness?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Hey, that's my hometown! I'm trying to pull up some info on noted poo poo-heel Vernon Robinson (The Winston Salem Journal called him "the black Jesse Helms"). I remember him from a pro-troops rally in the late 90's, and apparently he's at least partially responsible for bringing Ben Carson to the national spotlight :negative: He's a former city councilman of Winston-Salem.

I usually live in DC but am staying in Greensboro with my partner at the moment. What's up, NC buddies?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Yeah, many children's stories involve absent parents. There are a few theories about that, one being that children in stories get up to big adventures that real world children would not be allowed. So to explain the lack of supervision, the parents are missing or they run away. Tale as old as time.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/davidjlynch/status/840657739739205633
https://twitter.com/PreetBharara/status/840645773985492992
https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/840645902289248256

Trump possibly going back on his word with Preet Bharara. What will Freep think of this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I stand to lose my healthcare in the recent changes. I'm a contractor with a pre-existing condition (ankylosing spondylitis). I'm going to take a break from this thread and come back when I feel less tearful.