Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

2s is very good for learning the game as there's less going on and your decisions matter more, so it's easier to see where you made mistakes. I don't intend on playing 3s until I'm at least familar with every champ.

My only problem with the game right now is that all skins are recolors, so most epic items are a bit of a let down except for weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Living the low-ranked life :allears:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Does the matchmaker prevent double support comps? I don't think I've ever been in a match in 2s with either side having two supports.

Also, my new pet peeve is people IMMEDIATELY ulting after getting the death orb, especially when it's 1v2. Most ults are super easy to for two people to avoid if not interrupt outright, and it typically leaves you in a bad postion with fewer options because you're at 0 energy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

BigLeafyTree posted:

I spent some time collecting my thoughts on Taya after playing her a whole bunch. I may eventually better edit this and turn it into a video guide but I'm unsure if I'll get around to it so here's the text dump. DISCLAIMER: Not super good. If you have anything to add I'd love to hear it.

http://pastebin.com/8ATGHj0U
This post reminds me to complain that what triggers a trance is not all that clear-cut. The easy explanation is "AoE doesn't trigger" but a lot of cone abilities like Rook's RMB will set it off.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I just wish I'd stop getting people in the grade below me on my team when they have a guy my rank and a person above mine :argh:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

how me a frog posted:

Has anyone gotten a halloween drop from a normal gold chest?
Almost certain they only drop from the Halloween chest. Which sucks because Stunlock decided to make them 750g instead of the normal 500g for a gold, which feels kinda scummy to do for a limited-time event. Maybe if dailies gave out Halloween chests, but no: silver.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Darke GBF posted:

This game feels good because it's paced really well. I haven't had a game yet where I get blown up 100-0% inside a single CC, with nothing I can do about it. If you make mistakes it sets you behind, but you don't just instantly lose the match. It's really fun and well-designed for the most part.
In higher level matches they're complaining about CC. It usually isn't getting blown up in a CC train, but being incapped/petrified/panicked all in a row while the rest of your team dies.

Stunlock seems to be aware of this, however, and this patch a lot of longer CCs got trimmed here and there.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I can't see why people would play unranked when the matches tend to be super-lopsided and it's got way more assholes. I rarely have leavers in ranked; meanwhile, in unranked I had 3-4 matches where someone would ragequit. Also assholes like a teammate that would go off on the enemy team and you could tell it was affecting his play because he'd chase that person and die like an idiot.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Which monk are we talking about, because Shifu is also pretty broken.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Is it just me or is Lucille's M1x broken? It seems to just poo poo out insane amounts of damage in an AoE, has almost no cooldown, is incredibly easy to hit with almost no windup and even slows for good measure.
The damage is timed burst, so if you have any kind of move with iframes you can basically waste her energy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is it me, or is Rook loving insane now?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

muon posted:

Man, they're really bad about building hype, just dropping a hero out of nowhere is weird. Definitely a fan of all the changes though.
They mentioned a patch last week

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ragg posted:

On the one hand I'll have to learn to not just mash Rook's M2, but on the other hand I won't have to learn to not trance into Rook's M2.
I'm getting whiplash because his old M2 could be countered, then it could't be countered, and now it can again just as I was learning to stop countering in anticipation of it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Up to Grade Ten. Getting to that point where it's more important what you counter than just countering for the hell of it. Blocking a snipe or charged weapon is a bigger deal than just a regular left click.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Public Service Announcement: stop ulting after you get the orb from your teammate.

They're expecting you to have it, and I cannot count how many times my teammate will uselessly ult only for the opponent(s) to dash away mostly unscathed or just CC them outright. This sucks because now you're down 100 energy and your options are limited at a point in the match where you need as many as possible. Wait a while, bait out their own escapes (I've noticed bad players will burn everything to catch you), and then ult. Or just, you know, not ult and use your other energy skills.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm glad we exchanged grinding a number for grinding a bar.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Zaodai posted:

While I agree with "you only get one launch", I'd contend that the F2P launch isn't that one launch. Because they've had a bunch of free weekends and such, plus the paying playerbase you alluded to. If those people have no reason to stay or come back, then your free to play launch will be crippled by it. So that's fine and everything, but if your game is a year away from being able to sustain players you probably shouldn't have released it and started selling microtransaction stuff in it yet.

It's not going to suddenly wipe peoples memories clean just because the version number says 1.0.
Launch means a lot of press. You'll have reviews and things like Giant Bomb Quick Look-esque videos from varying outlets to make more people aware of it. The f2p weekends are comparatively low-key events that they hope to spread the game via word-of-mouth.

Super Monday Night Combat, which had a closed beta, hosed up and launched early (I forget how exactly they managed to do this, but yeah) and the game didn't even survive six months before updates dried up.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sad to see the devs squander the good reception the game initially got, and they’re back in the same position as BLC just a year later. Just wasted potential.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Not sure why developers always responding to their dying game with "Hey, let's split the matchmaking even MORE!" but here we are. Also the whole "Well 3v3 is clearly what we want to be the main mode, but we don't want to commit to it." doesn't instill confidence.

I want the game to succeed, as I had fun last year with it, but I dunno man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Countblanc posted:

They're doing the opposite of that though - they're reducing the number of queues from 4 to 3, and only 2 if you want to play the main mode.
Maybe I'm out of the loop then, since I thought it was two queues (2v2 and 3v3)

• Locked thread