Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

SB35 posted:

I'd appreciate recommendations for good coffee and read a book kinda place in the peninsula. Starbucks and Phillz are out because they're ridiculously loud. I don't know how anyone actually gets any work done there.
I like Cafe Borrone in Menlo Park; it's got a lovely outdoor area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

OGS-Remix posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for interesting places to try around Davies Symphony hall? I eat pretty much anything so I'm willing to try stuff.

The main concerns are price and timing. I'll be going up to the city on Friday for early-ish dinner around 5:30, 6pm so hopefully the lines won't be too bad. Also maybe not too expensive either but if it's good, it's good.

Nojo is maybe a block away and without question the best ramen I've ever had in SF. I suggest either the basic chicken paitan or the soy sauce variant; the chicken nanban appetizer is particularly good if you're hungry. It's on the expensive side but entirely worth it IMO

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

mmm11105 posted:

Anyone have any recommendations in Napa Valley in the $50-60/person range?

This is a little late but I suggest Bounty Hunter in downtown Napa. Get the chicken

Also Solbar in Calistoga

amethystbliss posted:

Bouchon is really good.

FWIW I've found the Bouchon in Yountville to be inconsistent. I would suggest going for brunch and getting the chicken & waffles

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Toe Rag posted:

I went here tonight. It was pretty good, but I don't really understand why it has a Michelin star. Like, if this is Michelin star, why is Dosa "bib gourmand?" Given the criteria for bib gourmand seems to be primarily around price, if anything I would expect the inverse.

I think the dosas at Rasa are 5-10% better than say Udupi Palace or Vik's Chaat. You're paying a large premium for a fairly small but IMO noticeable improvement (I haven't been back to Dosa since I ordered their truffle oil utthapam)

Bib Gourmand IIRC requires both a certain level of quality under a certain price threshold. There's a separate designation just for inexpensive food

2nding Yi Yuan; those who don't want to travel there should also check out Chili House on Clement St

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranter posted:

mensho ramen is completely overrated. If you want to wait an hour for soft overcooked noodles and chashu that disintegrates because its so overcooked then be my guest.

Agreed; IMO Nojo and Hinodeya are miles better

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Development posted:

I'm going for hotpot tonight at Haidilao in Cupertino. Anyone been and have any recos?

e: lol expensive as gently caress. $230 for 5 people, gently caress

You've got to go check out the ones in China

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranter posted:

I got there at 5:15 (official opening time was listed as 5:30) and he was already slowly letting people in to not overwhelm FOH and BOH. Took about 35mins to get let in.
How's the atmosphere is it zoolike in any way?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranter posted:

What does "zoolike" mean? I was able to watch the other patrons I guess? But that would mean most restaurants are zoolike.

So zoolike would be: too many people crammed into a small place such that it's uncomfortably tight and you have to shout in order to have a conversation

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Incoherence posted:

Really loud restaurants are all the rage right now. Not necessarily cramped, but lacking in sound dampening. I can't say I'm a huge fan of it as a trend.

Me neither; I remember reading that louder restaurants lead to customers spending more and/or not lingering, both of which are wins for the restaurant. I personally am loyal to quiet(er) restaurants

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

AnonSpore posted:

Anybody have a good rec for the kind of dimsum you order in line and it's all put into boxes to go, not the kind where you sit down and get it brought to you in carts? I normally go to Good Mong Kok but I was wondering if there was some other place I should be checking out. Doesn't have to be in SF.

This is a fairly obscure one, but I highly highly recommend Oriental Tea House in San Leandro. They do a lot of to go business

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranter posted:

If we're talking east bay and the San Leandro/Hayward area, then Tin's Teapot > Oriental Tea House

Never been; will have to go check that out. Any dishes in particular you recommend

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Carillon posted:

A food blogger I follow has been trying to find good XLB here in the bay area and failing. All the talk of XLB though has made me want to find some here, anyone have any leads on where they might be?

Not world-beatingly good, but these are solid choices: Dragon Beaux (in the Richmond), or Koi Palace (specifically the one in Dublin, CA not Daly City)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Well CTM and Pad Thai and sushi rolls with e.g. cream cheese are all distinct from XLB in that they are made up things (cf. http://fooddetectivesdiary.blogspot.com/2011/02/brief-history-of-chicken-tikka-masala.html and https://gastronomica.org/2009/02/10/finding-pad-thai/; as for sushi rolls you're on your own). To call them 'basics' is to imply they are fundamental to Indian, Thai and Japanese cuisine respectively, which isn't right

Also yes, authenticity is a pointless shibboleth etc etc etc, so here is some helpful content in that vein: check out the butter chicken at Rooh in SF with a side of garlic naan; it's worth it!

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

AnonSpore posted:

Carbonara
Tonkatsu
Udon
For pasta I would try Rich Table, Cotogna, Locanda

Tonkatsu try Muracci’s either downtown SF or Berkeley

For udon please tell me if you find something good; I’m not aware of any

e: Marugame is decent but variable depending on how slammed they are

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

TheCog posted:

Gonna be in SF for a couple days:
1.) Are there any 'must try' places?
2.) Any recommendations for somewhere a little upscale (but not too dressy)? I'm looking to treat my SO to something special.

For #2 would recommend Al’s Place or The Morris or Rich Table. For #1: knishes and honey cake at 20th Century Cafe, ice cream at Salt & Straw, croissants at Arsicault

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Als place and commonwealth are both fussy tasting menus, I say that as a person who enjoys that but doesn’t sound like what you’re looking for.
I don’t ever get the tasting menu at Al’s Place (or RT) and I don’t find the food or the setting fussy at all. Commonwealth is good but perhaps a tad more formal

Foreign Cinema is a decent choice though. Exceptional wine list

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

minato posted:

:chanpop:
this has got me super jonesing for some sushi now.

I've been to Wako on Clement St a couple of times because my wife loves it and thinks it's the closest she's ever had to authentic Japanese sushi, but admittedly she's only ever eaten there and at Kusakabe.

Try Sasaki :)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

OGS-Remix posted:

If you had to pick between going to Meadowwood or French Laundry, which one would you pick? And you can include the Chef's table at Meadowwood as well.

I've (also) eaten at almost every 2 & 3 star in the Bay Area, and would second (or third?) the consensus that French Laundry is not worth it. Meadowood I would rank in the upper echelon of 3 stars along with Single Thread, Benu and Quince. Atelier Crenn, Manresa and French Laundry I'm rather meh about (I would actually rank Coi above these three). Never been to Saison

Kin Khao is not trash, but I wouldn't make a special trip there. My favorite 1*s: Al's Place, Gary Danko, Nico, Octavia, Rich Table

Also sushi-wise it is utter bs that Sasaki didn't get a star

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

bee burger posted:

I had the tasting menu at rich table and I thought it was not good. Lotta weird choices on there, like poorly cooked pasta, and overall not a good unifying theme. Did I screw up or something?

Yeah do never get the tasting; I always get a lot of bites and apps, a few pastas, and once in a blue moon an entree. That’s probably counterintuitive

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

beefnchedda posted:

Thoughts on Che Fico? Worth the hype?

Also, any recommendations for omakase?

Sasaki is IMO very good. It is run by the chef who opened Omakase and got them their star in the first place. He only serves 6 per seating at the counter, so you’re sure to get him instead of some understudy. Highly pricey though

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

luminalflux posted:

Where can I get good khao soi in SF? I had mindblowing northern thai in LA and i need more of it in my life

They don’t have khao soo but Tycoon is an amazing place to go for Northern Thai food. I love the Nam Kao Tod and the Kao Piak

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

OGS-Remix posted:

R&G Lounge is probably the best then yeah. I heard they changed owners though but I went a couple of weeks ago and it was still solid.

For other places you probably want some who can speak Chinese lol.

Z&Y is decent and also more casual

You guys should also swing by Golden Gate Bakery on the off chance it's open. I've only ever been lucky once in my life, but I made it count :)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
8 Tables is decent but you can do much much better for your money. Like Benu. Good cocktails though

Also I’m shocked that people like Mister Jiu’s but perhaps they had an off night when I was there

FWIW my three favorite Chinese restaurants are: Chili House in the Richmond neighborhood, Oriental Teahouse in San Leandro, and Great China in Berkeley (bonus: outrageous wine list)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone got a good rec for a wine tasting thingie in Napa Valley?

Serious post; do Shafer or Opus One. Both are moderately serious if rather expensive

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

If anyone could make baiju palatable it would be Danny Louie.

You have to buy the expensive kind and drink it straight up with filthy peasant spicy Chinese food, the filthier the better. I don’t often drink it, but getting shitfaced on it in the Guizhou countryside is one of the peak drinking experiences of my life

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Carillon posted:

XLB I liked at Palette
Seconded; I had it over the weekend and it was pretty good. Still prefer Koi Palace in Dublin though

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Toe Rag posted:

Quotes like that seem suspect to me. Why can’t they raise their prices accordingly, especially if they’re still busy? Are they already priced at the tipping point? They also blame a change in dining culture but there is no elaboration as to what that means. That could be the reporters fault, though.

Bay Area people don’t appreciate quality or consistency, or being challenged in general (I'm exaggerating for rhetorical effect but you get the idea). They wouldn’t pay up for it even if they had the money. The rapid influx of wealthy but tasteless people is ever reducing the appetite for interesting poo poo, and is turning the market into a combination of Palo Alto and Vegas. There are still pockets of quality left, but they are mostly at the very high or very low end. Escalating costs (e.g. there was an owner I knew who couldn't keep staff at $65K with benefits) are merely the cherry on top of the poo poo sundae

Most of the people I know who care about food are increasingly cooking it themselves and hosting dinner parties. Which is a pity because easy access to good food prepared with love is such a democratizing thing that we're losing slowly

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 30, 2019

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Arsenic Lupin posted:

.... but home cooking is good food prepared with love? In any case, I've had some transcendent meals here in the last year; the two most recent were at Jeanne d'Arc and at Mourad.

Right my point is good food prepared with love is harder and harder to come by unless you do it yourself, which is a pity because it would be nice to just have to walk into a restaurant to get it

Mourad is pretty drat good, and remains one of the islands of consistency that I appreciate. Never went to Jeanne d'Arc but will have to try. In that vein there is also Chez Maman and Mathilde

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Carillon posted:

Has anyone been to Bellota? I'm headed there Friday and trying to see if the paella is worth ordering.

Let us know how it turns out; I’ve been meaning to try

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Carillon posted:

I haven't but it looks good, would love to A/B test there.

Carillon thanks for the trip report

FWIW I've been to Coqueta a number of times and they do have the proper amount of soccarat at the bottom of their paella

e: oh poo poo I wrote the above before reading this page; I guess I'm never going back to Coqueta

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Papi? He’s got the spits.

Mosto in the Mission also has the spit, their al pastor is good but the rest of their food isn’t great.

A stack of potato chips is all I need with the delicious mezcal at Mosto. Really why else would anyone go there?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Toe Rag posted:

Went to Palette Tea House tonight. Food and drinks were pretty good, but my god the service was terrible. Maybe they were just horribly understaffed because it is Christmas Eve?

I had perfectly acceptable service the last time I was there for Sunday brunch; likely just the holidays

Next time do something like Oriental Tea House in San Leandro for uniformly bad service year round

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

AnonSpore posted:

More a point of curiosity than anything but, are there any particular knife sharpening services that are known to be good/to be avoided in the bay?

There was a knife sharpener who would set up shop in Noe Valley on 24th St Saturday mornings. Don't know if he's still going but I went to him for years

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

minato posted:

Within San Francisco:

The supposed best croissants are at Arsicault Bakery. They are pretty good, there's always a long line, and they basically just do croissants and little else. Croissants are notoriously hard to get right.

Tartine is always super popular but I don't really understand why.
Arsicault is tops imo. Was just there this past week. Don't forget to try the Kouign Amann. Pair with a flat white from Breck's next door

Tartine's croissant is also good but darker, more breadlike, and less buttery / flaky. It's less satisfying to me but this is more a matter of personal taste

B patisserie is a distant third, but still good

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Junior G-man posted:

Got a table at al's Place as well for when we're back in two weeks 😎. All the amazing sounding places are like hyper closed on Monday though. Booo.

Al's Place is a super great choice. The "Fish Mullet" is a must; they tend to sell out so I always ask them to reserve a portion as soon as I sit down. Also I suggest the fries (made from pickled potatoes), and they're always trying something fun with the burrata - last time I was there it was mapo spice, now it's something different

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Marlena is a hot new restaurant that's open on Mondays. I find the quality a bit variable but they are creative and shockingly affordable by SF standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

fermun posted:

Is Marlena open now? Last time I looked they were shut down to do some kitchen renovations.

Oh drat I had no idea. Was there end-March but you're right. Scratch that then

Mijote is another one worth trying that's open Mondays. Japanese chef who worked at David Toutain for years (an amazing 2* restaurant in Paris but in the modern style, which I suppose is what you're looking for). Haven't been but I'm told they're really good. Also very affordable by SF standards