Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I'm from the South Bay so here's all my favorite spots:

Korean:
Tofu House (Milpitas) - Probably the best tofu soup I've had in the Bay Area. Be prepared to wait for a while if you don't get in first seating or later at night.
Tobang (Sunnyvale) - Best family style Korean BBQ out there. Be prepared to wait a long time at all times they're open.
Gen (San Jose) - All you can eat Korean BBQ. Their side dishes are kinda weak but their meats are excellent. The line is incredibly long and minimum reservation size is for 10. Still worth going to if you gotta get that meat.

Japanese:
Orenchi (Santa Clara) - Excellent Ramen, probably best in the South Bay. Line is horrific and you can't even get reservations. Still worth going to.
Kotetsu (Santa Clara) - 90% the quality of Orenchi, 10% of the line. If you want good ramen without an hour wait, go here instead. You will not be disappointed.
Sushi Kai (Milpitas) - Japanese food done right. Their specials are good and sushi is excellent as well. They often have discounts (except Friday/Sat).
Kula Sushi (Cupertino) - Sushi boat with a twist. Every plate is $2.25, this includes Toro and Eel. Quality is extremely good for the price but the line is worse then Orenchi. I have gone to Kula at 3pm and had to wait over an hour to get in.
Gaku (San Jose) - Japanese charcoal grill. If you like Yakitori, this is probably the best place in the Bay Area for it. Reservations are required for weekend seating. Expensive but extremely worth the price.
Sumiya (San Jose) - Not as good as Gaku but you can get reservations and more food for the same price.
Gochi (Cupertino/Mountain View?) - Japanese Fusion Tapas. Great for large group, their clay pots and Japanese pizza are excellent.

Middle Eastern:
Kabul (Sunnyvale) - Excellent kebobs and Afghani food.
Dish Dash (Sunnyvale) - Even better kebobs and Middle Eastern food. This is probably one of the best restaurants in the South Bay. Reservations are absolutely required, you will not get a table within on weekends without one.

Italian
SPQR (San Francisco) - Best Italian place I've been to in the Bay Area. Dinner is pretty pricey, but their lunch menu is excellent and a good deal.

Pizza:
Vesta (Redwood City) - Excellent wood fired thin crust pizza. Their wine selection is decent and their pizza is very solid. Reservations highly recommended.

Pho:
Pho Kim Long (San Jose) - Best Pho in the South Bay for sure. No line beyond lunchtime. Cash only. As a side note they were actually shut down by the IRS for a time because of too much unreported income. That tells you how busy/good they are.

Thai:
New Krungthai (San Jose) - Best Thai in the South Bay imo. Make sure you go to this one and not the one in Campbell. Reservations are recommended and parking is very limited. Both Krungthai restaurants were owned by a husband/wife, when they got divorced each got a restaurant. Guess who got which one.

Southern BBQ
Smoking Pig (San Jose/Fremont) - They have two locations, I prefer the San Jose. Probably the best American BBQ restaurant in the Bay Area. I like it a lot better then Memphis Minnies.

Vegetarian
Millenium (Oakland) - I haven't been myself but supposedly the one of the best vegetarian restaurants in the Bay Area. They even have vegan/vegetarian Sushi supposedly.

$$$ Expensive Places $$$
Manresa (Los Gatos) - 3 Michelin star restaurant. It is absolutely a 3 star Michelin restaurant. If you got the cash/time/interest go. Out of the 3 restaurants listed here with 3 stars in the Bay Area, this is the "cheapest".
Village Pub (Woodside) - Formerly 1 Michelin star restaurant. Excellent steak, a little out of the way. Not too bad price wise as far as 1 stars go.
Kusakabe (San Francisco) - Sushi tasting menu. Starts at $90 and goes up at the end because you can order ala carte. If the idea of lightly seared shoyu marinated tuna appeals to you, make reservations (3 months in advance).
Californios (San Francisco) - Modern Mexican cuisine. I think it has 2 stars, could be 3. If you like Mexican, this place is one of a kind.
Saison (San Francisco) - 3 Michelin star restaurant. Extremely expensive. Don't go alone.
Benu (San Francisco) - Another 3 star restaurant. A lot less expensive then Saison.
Atelier Crenn (San Francisco) - 2 Stars but really should be 3. Similarly priced to Benu.

If I think of any more, I'll add them. If people want to talk about great dessert places as well, I'd definitely be interested in hearing people's opinions.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

snyprmag posted:

Have you been the an Everett and Jones? Their sauce is really good but I haven't managed to make it to one of their restaurants. Brick Pig House on Shattuck in North Oakland is a good little spot.

Millenium is all vegan and is quite good. I never made it to the old San Francisco location, which was a lot fancier I think, but the food and atmosphere at the new location are very enjoyable, but I don't remember them doing sushi. The best vegan sushi I've had is at Cha-Ya in the Mission.

Incoherence posted:

If you're not allergic to food trucks, Capelo's makes a pretty tasty BBQ brisket.

I'll definitely have to look at these two places and Emergency BBQ. Probably over the course of several months though, eating American BBQ makes you become an actual American. :burger:

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

There was a goon meet up in Alameda a few years ago and we ate a place called American Oak. It was pretty decent and had flights of whiskey which I thought was interesting.

Are there any other places similar to that or have flights of whiskey? Restaurant or bar doesn't really matter, but if they have good food that's definitely a plus.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

lampey posted:

Hopscotch in uptown Oakland has flights of whiskey and all around great food.

Thanks I'll have to check this place out sometime too.

Michelin has updated their guide for the SF Bay Area. See which places are going to get a lot more expensive and harder to get reservations for in the coming months.

http://sf.eater.com/maps/michelin-stars-san-francisco-bay-area-2017-map

Who's up for a goon meet at Quince? :10bux:

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Does anyone have any suggestions for interesting places to try around Davies Symphony hall? I eat pretty much anything so I'm willing to try stuff.

The main concerns are price and timing. I'll be going up to the city on Friday for early-ish dinner around 5:30, 6pm so hopefully the lines won't be too bad. Also maybe not too expensive either but if it's good, it's good.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I ended up going to Zuni; I had the halibut and a couple of cocktails. The fish was pretty good and their big batch of fries as appetizers was very tasty. It was a little pricier then I wanted but overall I'm happy and would definitely go again. Good recommendation Reiterpallasch.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Since this thread worked out last time, do people have any good suggestions for food around At&t park? Normally I eat at the park during ball games but I'll be coming up earlier so I have time for sit down food.

I'm open to pretty much anything so all suggestions are welcome.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Is there food around Mission Peak or is it just a hike trail

It's just a hiking trail. I don't know too much up in Fremont/Newark so I can't help out beyond that.

For the Giants game, I ended up going to Garaje and had a zapatos. Very tasty and it's definitely a good place to go. Seating was hard to find but I think that's because there was a large ball game crowd. Another plus for the food thread.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Ranter posted:

Rasa is modern Indian with a Michelin star and isn't off the charts expensive.

Rasa is good but it can be busy. I'd call for reservations if you're going on the weekend. Also their ghost chili hot sauce is very hot. They are not messing around when they say it's hot :supaburn:

There's a bunch of decent places on/near third Street as well. I used to go to a ramen place there (forgot the name), and there's also a gyu-kaku which is a chain but decent. Closer to the $30 end for sure, especially if you get drinks.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Possibly. It might have been Ramen Dojo, it's been quite a while since I've eaten in San Mateo. Ajisen Ramen is a chain store, but their ramen is decent too.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Bumping this thread, I'll be in SF this Saturday around noon for a real escape game. What are some good places to eat an early dinner for a large party 8+ with a cost per person around $20 to $30?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

Where in the city?

I'll be near Polk and Jackson. Possibly up to 9 people total so larger places would be easier to find a table at.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. People wanted to go upscale instead so we're trying to get a table or two at Mourad now. :10bux:

Also on that note, here's the new Michelin list for the Bay Area:

https://sf.eater.com/2017/10/25/16537724/michelin-restaurants-san-francisco-stars-2018

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Any recommendations for bars in the Mountain View, Palo Alto area? Normally when I go drinking I'm usually in SF. so I'm not too familiar with places down here.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

canoshiz posted:

There's a new Korean soup joint (seolleongtang/galbitang) in Milpitas called Soup by Park's BBQ (same Park's BBQ that's popular in LA), has anyone tried it out? The Yelp reviews are pretty noisy with people leaving 1 star reviews for lovely lines despite decent food? I have no idea what to make of it, gently caress Yelp.

I'm pretty blown away at how much Korean stuff has opened in that area -- in the last few years they opened a Von's Chicken, Paris Baguette and Jang Su Jang in that plaza alone to supplement the SGD Tofu restaurant that had been there by a while, as well as a brand new H-mart just a couple of exits down. Certainly would have been nice to have more Korean options when I lived around the corner from there rather than having to drive a bit to Santa Clara/Sunnyvale...

I don't know that much about San Francisco stuff but I liked getting cioppino at Sotto Mare which seems to me to be a pretty classic SF thing to do. Also a fan of walking around farmer's market at the ferry building, which also has some great plaes like Hog Island Oyster Company. I'm just reading now that Boccalone (charcuterie shop) closed down there though, fuuuuuck

My friends went to Soup by Park's and they said it was really good. Obviously the line is horrific but unfortunately that's the way things go. The Tofu House next door is still one of my favorite restaurants in the entire Bay Area. Every real Korean I've brought there has said the tofu soup is excellent lol.

On a different note, I recently went to Protege in Palo Alto and it was excellent. The non-tasting menu is really good value but their tasting menu is like 4 courses for $120. Still if you want to go to a place that will definitely get a Michelin Star before it gets a star I highly recommend getting reservations there in the near future.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 8, 2018

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Carillon posted:

Also who's David Kinch pissed off? I know it's slightly old news at this point, but man having your restaurant be the victim of arson in 4 years has got to really suck :(.

I was actually going to have dinner there with my family back in July but then they caught on fire literally the weekend before. So I didn't get to go.

Development posted:

unrelated: we tried sushi yoshizumi on friday. really really great omakase, probably the best technical sushi of all of the omakase I've tried in the bay area.

I really liked yoshizumi too, I just wish they had a larger seatings available. But I guess when you do that much work you can't serve that many people. What other sushi omakase have you tried around here?

Also clearly talking about Manresa and Yoshizumi in the same post means: :thermidor:

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Ranter posted:

Can you tell your buddy that a cdc from another restaurant is coming to check it out tonight at 8pm? :) girlfriend said she doesn't like me doing this shes embarrassed.

Also I know I wasn't saying he's copying Kenji, just noting that it's interesting that elevated/fusion German food is a thing right now. I loving love Suppenkuche.

If you like Suppenkuche, there's a great place in Alameda called Speisekammer.

Their food is really good along a great beer selection and they have a nice beer garden in front too.

They even have horrible parking issues just like Suppenkuche so it's just like being in SF.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

my bitter bi rival posted:

i just made a reservation for this place (a la carte -- gf doesnt eat red meat) thanks.

Hopefully you guys like it. Out of the four Lounge entrees, the risotto was the least good but it was still pretty tasty. The dumplings and "fish and chips" were both really good for appetizers as well.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Carillon posted:

Not that it matters, but we ended up going to Fior D'Italia, good place but definitely old school.

What do people think of the new Michelin guide? Personally I'm happy Wakuryia stayed on and happy for Crenn to now have 4 stars, but I can't say I've made it to a lot of the others on this list recently.

My friend said Single Thread was the single best dining experience she ever had so she's not surprised it got 3 stars so quickly.

Another friend who really likes Crenn said that while it's interesting he doesn't think the restaurant deserves 3 stars.

Protege getting one star sounds right. I definitely want to try to hit more 3 star places this year but getting reservations is a real pain. On that note Single Thread reservations open at 9am this Saturday.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Dang, I just made a reservation for SingleThread, because I thought $275/person wasn't too bad, but then you get hit with 30.35% added on at the end. :wth:

I want to go to Californios, Commonwealth, and Kin Khao.

I went to Mourad, and it was definitely not worth the price. Everything was good, but it was $255/person, without a pairing. The cocktail prices were especially absurd (some were $24). You can definitely get food just as good for half the price.

What did you order at Mourad? I've been there multiple times and it's never that expensive even with drinks.

I actually felt Mourad was pretty good on value especially if you go with a larger group (4+).

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

We did the tasting menu. My girlfriend is vegetarian, so splitting one of their large, family-style dishes wasn't really an option, from what I recall. It definitely seemed like a better value from the table I saw next to us.

Oh ok that explains it. Whenever I've been to Mourad I've always gotten their entrees and not tasting menu. The big family style dishes are the good taste/value options there.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I’ve eaten at every 2 or 3 Star in the Bay other than Baume and the majority of the 1 Stars, so if you’re wondering about specifics, ask away.

If you had to pick between going to Meadowwood or French Laundry, which one would you pick? And you can include the Chef's table at Meadowwood as well.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah could be. That’s the only 3 star place I’ve been to, so I don’t have a reference. Still, the pacing was either really off or just way too slow for me, and the food was nothing special, to my palate. I just wanted to leave by the time they served dessert.

Hopefully SingleThread is better :unsmith:

There's definitely a wide variety of styles between 3 stars so hopefully you can find one that you like. Single Thread should be very different from French Laundry at the least.

I was going to go to Manresa in the summer with my family but it caught fire literally the week before my reservations. :supaburn:

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Carillon posted:

Anyone else been to Royal Feast in Millbrae? It won a bib, it's been one of my favorite places to go so nice to see them getting recognition.

Yes, I've been there before. It was very good and authentic Chinese food that I really enjoyed.

Out of the three bib gourmand Chinese places in that area, I think it was the best over Wonderful and Yi Yuan.

Wonderful was really good as well but I just like the dishes at Royal Feast better.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Yeah, Kin Khao is good but a little pricey. I've only gone for lunch so dinner might be worse value.

It's pretty good though, some of their dishes are very tasty.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Carillon posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a spot in Chinatown? I have a friend in town and they want to go and eat in Chinatown and not the "american" style stuff they grew up with. I know it's not super well regarded from a culinary perspective, but I'd hope there is a few spots worth checking out.

Does it have to be in Chinatown SF? Because if you're willing to travel a little to Milbrae, there are several really good Chinese places there.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Carillon posted:

I know! I'd have loved to take the to take them to Royal Feast for instance, but yeah it's gonna be Chinatown.

R&G Lounge is probably the best then yeah. I heard they changed owners though but I went a couple of weeks ago and it was still solid.

For other places you probably want some who can speak Chinese lol.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Ranter posted:

Mr. Jius is high end with some fusion/modernity to it. Good cocktails. If you go here PM me I'll see if I can get you VIP treatment.

I was actually disappointed by Mr Jiu's when I went. I was expecting more traditional Chinese food as opposed to the modern fusion they have.

It was executed well but I guess my expectations were just different. I do want to try Eight Tables as that is supposed to be more traditional.

Development posted:

gotta recommend hunan impression in SJ. get your butthole reaaaady for ring of fire

Yeah Hunan impressions is good and if the line is too long, just go to Gaku next door lol.

Edit: I have heard the cocktails at Mr Jiu's are very good and I would go back for those alone.

Speaking of which maybe we can do a Goon Meetup at Paper Plane in SJ. We got a top 10 bartender in the US down here now. :downs:

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 17, 2019

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I like Wursthall too, maybe I'll post in the Bay Area thread to try and get more people.

Looking at their website it says they can take reservations for more then 10 people. I dunno if we'll have that many but maybe we can find a time that works for everyone.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I made a doodle for Wurstgoons, you can fill in your vote with this link here: https://doodle.com/poll/ewm3evk57enucsz5

8/24 seems like a good starting point but we'll see as more people fill in their times.

Edit: I put all of August in, if people want to plan all the way out to September, I guess they can add a note.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 25, 2019

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Development posted:

maybe email them now and ask for availability for those couple dates

I'll contact them about the two dates. I'll look for a normal (7pm?) dinner time but I can see what's available.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Ok the Wursthall people finally got back to me and I got reservations on 8/18 at 6pm.

Hopefully that works for everyone still who participated in the Doodle.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I'm waiting out front with a Warriors cap. I think we can sit down once some more people arrive.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

We're sitting inside now so anyone else coming just walk in and sit down

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Carillon posted:

So a lot of it was really good. We ordered jamon iberico, a tortilla and a paella, split between lechon and setas. The jamon and pan con tomate were really good, highlights for sure. The tortilla was also good good flavor, really well set egg, not to tough or anything like that, I would say missing out on salt though. Similarly the paella also came across as a bit under seasoned, and the bottom didn't have a crunchy soccarat, but rather it was a thin layer of softer browning. I haven't really had a paella like that before, I'm used to the more crunchy kind, so don't know if that's a style thing or just a miss on the kitchen's part. The mushrooms were good, wildish, the main interesting one was maitaike. Overall a solid meal, but I did feel they could have used more salt in the cooked stuff.

Drinks wise, gin and tonics were great. You get a choice of a bunch of different gins, 5 different tonics, and then they come out with some nice little bundles herbs in each glass. I did two spanish gin's I've never had before that were delicious.

Have you been to Coquetta and tried the paella there? If yes, which one do you think is better?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

Don't go to Coqueta. Michael Chiarello is a sexual harrasser.

Bellota is run by two chefs who used to be at Coqueta.

https://sf.eater.com/2018/1/5/16856112/michael-chiarello-sobe-food-wine-festival-miami

Oh I didn't know that. I guess I'm not going there again. Time to try out Bellota.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I just went to Yoshizumi again and it did not disappoint. If you like sushi and you're in the Bay Area, you should go if you have the chance.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Development posted:

recommend me some legit hawaiian poke! anywhere in the bay is fine.

I just came back from HNL and had poke at Ono's seafood and I am in dire need of something that comes close to it...

There is no poke in the Bay Area that is close to Ono's Seafood.

The closest to actual Hawaiian poke you'll get is probably Santo Fish Market in San Jose Japantown. Apart from that everywhere else I've tried is not as good.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

luminalflux posted:

Pizzachat: I’ve been to Del Popolo twice in 3 days

Do you think Del Popolo's storefront or truck is better? After visiting their store, there were only 1 or 2 pizzas that were better then takeout and some from the truck were actually better.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I wasn't sure if I should ask here or in the other Bay Area thread but does anyone know where I can buy some 50 50 Brewery beer?

The particular beers I'm looking for are their Eclipse beers and the only place I've found it is at the Beer Garden in Redwood City for a crazy high markup. Like $30 a can price.

https://fiftyfiftybrewing.com/eclipse?lnk=nav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

404notfound posted:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for both Acme and As Kneaded, though what I'm really hoping to find is a shop that I can regularly return to and try out different fresh-baked things. I'm not impressed with what Manresa's website shows, but I'm probably still going to end up there at least once just to see what they have in person

If you do go to Manresa bakery, I suggest going earlier because they sometimes sell out of stuff.

I was there a couple of weekends ago to get some Valentine's day chocolates and I mostly saw pastries but there was some bread.