Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

404notfound posted:

Any south bay recommendations?

I've been meaning to make a reservation at Din Tai Fung at Valley Fair. Thank god this one does reservations, because gently caress waiting in line for hours for some soup dumplings.

god that place is a clusterfuck. you can sit at the bar though or get take out.

santa clara: orenchi ramen
los altos: sumika, satura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Shadowhand00 posted:

Going to Rasa tonight - anything I must try in particular?

dosas!!!!!!

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Ranter posted:

Is there a cafe where if I ask for a Magic or even just a Flat White, the barista will know without explanation AND be able to make one?

try Stanza in the Mission. I had a realllllllllllly great cortado there last weekend.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

holy crap, I just had the best Korean I've had in a while at Jang Su Jang in Santa Clara

brb passing out from food coma

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I'm going to be in SF on Saturday and checking out Dong Baek. Anyone have positive experiences?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

The only good Taiwanese snackish place I've heard alright things about is in Milpitas (lol far), called Taiwan Cafe (v. original name)

Development
Jun 2, 2016

hey goons. Can anyone recommend a legit world class chocolatier in SF? GF is coming in for a week and we enjoy some robust truffles. Cost isn't that much of an issue.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

thx Senf and 404notfound. goon love for food is the best love.

aside

you guys eating at any cool places for valentine's day? Currently trying to get some good omakase resos, but worst case scenario we might just indulge in some garlic crab noodles...cuz that's romantic af amirite

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Trip report: Akiko's, San Francisco

Sat at the bar and we were served by Chris. Pics: http://imgur.com/a/7Yxm3

Pretty awesome omakase and we got to try a lot of things we've never had before. Also, jfc monkfish liver is loving great. If you like foie gras, you'll definitely have to try it.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Re: SJ food.

I really like Vung Tau on Santa Clara st. It's a fantastic Vietnamese place with family style comfort food (not a Pho place)

Original Gravity downtown has lots of nice beer and sausages.

Bluefin is right by me and it's a pretty good place for sushi. kind of pricy for what you get, but their happy hour specials are very reasonable.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Also, if you do go to Original Gravity, do not expect the Sauerkraut to be legit. It isn't, but the rest of the food is good.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone have good recommendations around San Mateo? No particular preference with regards to cuisine, preferably around the 10~30 per person range.

Kisaku is pretty good for lunch

Development
Jun 2, 2016

is South in Sacramento as awesome as my coworker makes it out to be?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I really like the burnt ends at Sauced in Livermore

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I'm going for hotpot tonight at Haidilao in Cupertino. Anyone been and have any recos?

e: lol expensive as gently caress. $230 for 5 people, gently caress

Development fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 13, 2018

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I’m going to Red Hot Wok tomorrow night, any tips? I think the three cup chicken is locked in as one of our dishes.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

cooking papa in the south bay is good too. I really like the braised beef noodle soup.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Baby Babbeh posted:

Nola in Palo Alto is a New Orleans themed place with good drinks and excellent creole food.

Antonio's Nut House is fantastic dive and was my go to after work when I used to work around there.

There's also a Eureka! in Mountain View now, which is like a California bistro chain but it has an excellent whiskey selection.

Dutch Goose in Menlo Park is an upscale sports bar that's a local institution.

yes Nola is cool and good and it has tequila now

if you want a real dive experience go to homestead lounge in santa clara (sorry a little farther out). cash only.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

AnonSpore posted:

I need recommendations for really good:

Carbonara

A Bellagio in campbell

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I am trash and really love manresa bread in los altos. I thought about making reservations at manresa but we'll see...

unrelated: we tried sushi yoshizumi on friday. really really great omakase, probably the best technical sushi of all of the omakase I've tried in the bay area.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

yoshizumi was fun because I got to banter with him in japanese. It was for my birthday, so he even gave an extra nigiri course on the house and candles on my sweets. What I really liked about Yoshizumi was that they weren’t at all pretentious. Really wholesome and not trying to show off. They were even genuinely sad that one of the customers (tech bro heh) hadn’t touched his hand roll and left it behind. The only thing that was just so-so was that the sake pairing at Yoshizumi felt more like a recommendation as opposed to an orchestrated pairing. The sakes were great, don’t get me wrong, but could have been more fine tuned.

We have also tried Kinjo’s, Kusakabe, Ju-ni and Akiko’s. Akiko’s had the most fun atmosphere and Kusakabe had the best sake pairings (loving great sommelier). Ju-ni was good but I felt like the chef we had was trying too hard to make it feel like an ‘experience’.

Yoshizumi’s:

Ju-ni:

Kusakabe:

Kinjo’s:

Akiko’s:

edit: also jesus loving christ the line at Ramen Nagi in Palo Alto is the worst. I have managed to get in twice and it’s good, but gently caress that line forever. After visiting the farmers’ market on Saturday we ended up at Reposado (fine Mexican) for brunch. I’ve had their brunch before and it was good, but gently caress the mole and fajitas we had were unreal.

Development fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 11, 2018

Development
Jun 2, 2016

minato posted:

:chanpop:
this has got me super jonesing for some sushi now.

I've been to Wako on Clement St a couple of times because my wife loves it and thinks it's the closest she's ever had to authentic Japanese sushi, but admittedly she's only ever eaten there and at Kusakabe.

I'd like to try wakuriya, but yoshizumi said you need to call at midnight a month in advance :effort:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Carillon posted:

I know! I'd have loved to take the to take them to Royal Feast for instance, but yeah it's gonna be Chinatown.

R&G lounge

Development
Jun 2, 2016

gotta recommend hunan impression in SJ. get your butthole reaaaady for ring of fire

Development
Jun 2, 2016

OGS-Remix posted:

Speaking of which maybe we can do a Goon Meetup at Paper Plane in SJ. We got a top 10 bartender in the US down here now. :downs:

make this happen

but also food

Development
Jun 2, 2016

wursthall in san mateo?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Toe Rag posted:

Isn’t there somewhere people can get to via BART? Wursthall looks like you can take CalTrain, but probably not that convenient for most. And getting back is another story. I’m actually not sure where most people live.

tbh millbrae sucks if we want to hangout after. there's not really anything to do after eatin'

Development fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 18, 2019

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Carillon posted:

Well if we're thinking San Mateo Taishoken just opened it's doors, it's a supposedly legendary ramen spot.

I'd be down too though for wherever really.

we went on saturday to check it out and the line was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. maybe 3-4 hours long?

yelp review liek:

quote:

I got there at 4:00 and was able to put my name down by 4:30 and I was one of the last parties seated at 9:30! They were out of some stuff by then, so I'll definitely have to make a trip back.

went across the street to champagne instead and got the best fuckin' roasted squab I've ever had.

helps being cantonese tho

Development
Jun 2, 2016

maybe email them now and ask for availability for those couple dates

Development
Jun 2, 2016

anyone wanna go check out Shang Cafe in the South Bay? It's Hunan Impressions' sister restaurant

https://www.yelp.com/biz/shang-cafe-san-jose-2

Development
Jun 2, 2016

OGS-Remix posted:

Ok the Wursthall people finally got back to me and I got reservations on 8/18 at 6pm.

Hopefully that works for everyone still who participated in the Doodle.

we gon' be a couple mins late, taking the NB express caltrain from SJ

Development
Jun 2, 2016

y’all missed a really good sausage party, followed by ice cream in fish bread.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

i dumpling in redwood city

name is unfortunate but food is :yum:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

OGS-Remix posted:

I just went to Yoshizumi again and it did not disappoint. If you like sushi and you're in the Bay Area, you should go if you have the chance.

he's seriously my favorite! :allears:

one of my favorite moments was when a bro left behind a whole toro hand roll. Yoshizumi and his assistant were talking in Japanese saying "man, what a waste. :smith:"

Development
Jun 2, 2016

recommend me some legit hawaiian poke! anywhere in the bay is fine.

I just came back from HNL and had poke at Ono's seafood and I am in dire need of something that comes close to it...

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Thanks guys for the poke tip! we went to Santo market in SJ for lunch just now. It was gooooood. They closed the store but their side window is open for both poke and groceries. They've got rice (!!!), spam and the usual stuff in stock.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

if you're in San Jose and enjoy Nashville hot chicken sandwiches and Paper Plane, try and get a sandwich from Scratch. They're a food truck operating out of Paper Plane right now.

https://www.instagram.com/scratch.sj/

after a few days of trying, we managed to get some of the sandwiches (sells out in <3 min online as they open up slots) and the spiked lemonade from PP.

100% worth it

Development
Jun 2, 2016

AnonSpore posted:

More a point of curiosity than anything but, are there any particular knife sharpening services that are known to be good/to be avoided in the bay?

I've heard good things about bernal cutlery

Development
Jun 2, 2016

yeah, manresa croissants are great! I also really like Mademoiselle Colette (RWC, PA and MP locations).

for very hearty breads, Esther's German Bakery in Los Altos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

for those looking for an omakase experience that isn’t sushi, I really recommend Kappo Yuji in SF’s Japantown. Since it’s a newish place, it is quite easy to book (and open on Mondays! (unlike most omakase sushi-ya here)). He uses the same fish supplier as Sushi Yoshizumi and the quality is top notch. The restaurant is very very small and its entrance is sort of hidden, on the top floor of a building across from the Peace Plaza.

https://www.kappoyuji.com/