Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
WSJ is some quality content and is super nice in DMs too. A++ would continue to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Public Serpent posted:

Got baptized today :toot:

And they let my kid ring the church bell!

Congratulations! Many blessed years!

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

And that's funny, because the Protestant segment of the religious right is now very much in the driver's seat. It looked for a while in the 80s and 90s like the Catholics might be setting the agenda, especially when they began to dominate the Supreme Court, but it became pretty clear that they were kept around solely to provide intellectual cover. I think I'd also contest the notion that Buckley was some sort of standard-bearer of coherent conservative ideology: he was very much of the "gently caress the poor and minorities first, justify it later" sort, and the the fact that he spoke with a fake-rear end transatlantic accent and talked about his lovely misreadings of Thucydides did understandably make people think he actually cared about ideas, but he was pretty disingenuous IMO.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

CountFosco, there are several people in this thread who've read enough gender theory and gender theology to fill a small library. This is not an argument you want to have.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

hey all, looks like rod dreher's on so many levels of orthodoxy that he went around the other side and came out right-wing evangelical:

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

all ancient roman farmers were nonbinary b/c the a-stem "agricola" takes adjectives in u-stem when alternation between u- and a-stem is used to distinguish gender

Bel_Canto fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 19, 2017

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

mostly i posted it b/c he's sacralizing the bourgeois nuclear family when his own religious tradition makes it very clear that monasticism is far preferable to family life

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

credburn posted:

Hey, I have wanted to ask this question ever since I was a teenager, but every time I asked it I either asked it to the wrong people (teenager Christians) or at the wrong time (funeral) or to other wrong people (atheists whose only response is "because Christians are evil and crazy") so, uh, here goes again! I want to also say that, I really don't know how to make this question not sound condescending, which probably didn't help when I was younger and trying to ask it without tact or experience in asking potentially touchy questions.

Why don't Christians feel more anguish over those who they believe are burning in hell for eternity? Okay, that's the blunt way of asking the question, I guess. I'll try to expand on that thought: As an atheist, when someone dies, I believe they are just dead and that's that. I do feel bad, but it's really just because I'll miss them, or they didn't get to do all they want, or whatever, but a week or two later I'm probably cool with it, aside from the occasional reminder that that person is no longer around. But let's say that person was not a Christian; per Christian belief, isn't that person thus doomed for eternity to burn?

So I try and translate that into relative circumstances that would apply to me: What if this person I cared about was not actually killed, but was taken away, put into an oven, and spent the rest of his life (not even considering eternity) under constant horrible fiery torment and there was nothing I could do about it? I would go mad, thinking about this. Even if I couldn't do anything about it, even if there was no person to appeal to, just knowing (or believing, as it were) that this person I cared about is, right now, burning, on fire, in pain...how does a Christian deal with all this poo poo?

Catholics are forbidden from presuming the damnation of another soul or the salvation of our own, so our answer is that we don't know for sure that anybody is in hell: this was expounded most famously and controversially by my homie Hans Urs von Balthasar in Dare We Hope "That All Men Be Saved"?, and I'm basically totally on board with him in this. You should also check out C. S. Lewis's The Great Divorce, which imagines how heaven, purgatory, and hell might all be the same place.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

CountFosco posted:

I haven't read the Satyricon, but I have read Apuleius' Metamorphosis, and it really isn't something you could reconstruct a cult of Isis from.

Not to mention that the cult depicted in it is heavily influenced by Apuleius's own Platonism. Honestly our best written evidence in this regard is inscriptional rather than literary.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

my biases in this matter are known to the thread

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Pray for me please I'm going to be homeless soon

I'll definitely pray to St. Benedict Joseph Labre for you, and St. Francis of Assisi for good measure. God be with you, and I can't speak for everyone here, but if there's anything you think we can do to help you out in a concrete way, I'd be happy to do whatever I can.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

pidan posted:

I wish you all the best. Stay safe

Here's an interesting clip about president Trump's religious affiliation. Apparently he's associated with a strange female pastor who preaches that God will make you rich:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeAbXmhTF-A

Not just that: she's an on-the-record weird-rear end mix of adoptionist and some other breathtaking heresy that I'm not sure how to classify. Basically she went the Mormon route and said that Christ isn't the only-begotten Son of God, and that we're all ontologically on par with Christ. I guess that's some kind of Unitarianism?

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Not to mention the horrific psychological effect that this has on people who are already miserable. Telling them that they have the power to control their life circumstances tells them that their misery is their own fault for not having enough faith, or even worse, that they wished for this misery. It's an active refusal of the notion that God hears the cries of the oppressed and the laments of widows and that He will bring the mighty to justice. Sorry, I get really worked up about this; I'm not ordinarily a fan of the Inquisition, but this kind of spiritual poison gets me thinking calming thoughts about throwing these pastors in underground cells until they recant.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Could you elaborate, I'd say that passions can be good or ill.

passions in byzantine theology/psychology refer specifically to the sub-rational impulses we have that motivate us to do things independent of whether those things are good or not. part of the process of theosis is taming and disciplining the passions so that they aren't strong enough to overcome the conscious will. sometimes they motivate us to do good things, but it's not because those things are good. catholic and orthodox moral theology both consider this less than ideal: doing good things is better than not doing them because it's still participating in God's grace, but doing good things because they're good is better by far. thus, the passions must be tamed not only to avoid evil but also to better participate in the good.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Caufman posted:

See, that's much harder to recognize than Misericordia, Dominus.

S...submit to Rome, y'all.

It's just "kyrie eleison" in its native script.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

as for the irish part, it's because penitential manuals originated in ireland and for that reason irish catholicism was famous mostly for being extremely severe. being occupied by the british for several centuries didn't help

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

It's like y'all decided the Exsultet was good enough and stopped making music after that.

to be fair that is the correct opinion b/c the Exsultet owns

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Would this be a good place to talk about my recent issues with doubt? Or would that be weird?

Talk about it all you need to. We're happy to listen.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

The Resurrection is mentioned in every Pauline epistle except three - 2 Thessalonians, Titus, Philemon. The notion that Paul ignores it is silly.

And it should be noted that of those epistles, only Philemon is generally agreed to be authentically Pauline. 2 Thessalonians is heavily disputed, and Titus is considered pseudepigraphic.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Happy Assumption to my fellow Papists! Today's gospel contained the Magnificat, and it was really comforting to hear such a joyful proclamation of the justice of God, especially after this past weekend.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Though given that said Pope also has a degree in chemistry, they might want to give him a little more credit.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

But then what does that section mean then

What does neither jew nor greek, male nor female mean

there's no other possible meaning to that section and anyone who claims to need it explained is being dishonest with you

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

I went to high Mass at St. John Cantius in Chicago yesterday and honestly it was one of the finest liturgies I've ever seen. The parish itself is just outside of downtown in Chicago, and it's absolutely gorgeous inside: look up photos. I think the best part of the whole thing for me was that the parish has been around and doing fancy liturgies for long enough that the crowd in attendance is...normal people who like nice liturgy. I'm sure there were weirdo trads there, but they were sufficiently dispersed within a normal population that I didn't feel like I had to run out the door. Makes me really glad that it's only a 20 minute walk from my parents' current place.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

i wonder if we'll see a recapitulation of the original german conservative/monarchist opposition to the original nazis? there's quite a lot to hate in fascism from the conservative pov

some of tradcath twitter doesn't like nazis for that reason, but frankly most of the trads on twitter are mad that we're not still stuck in the intellectually moribund world of victorian neo-thomism, because they have a difficult time reading anything longer than about fifty pages but still want to be "intellectual"

sorry i really really don't like trad twitter

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I don't think it's consciously anti-intellectual in the sense of a blanket denunciation of intellectualism, they just don't trust anything written after 1600 or so

they also don't trust anything other than a naïve and uncritical reading of the stuff they do like. they're fundamentally opposed to the intellectual enterprise in the sense of critical exploration of ideas. they want everything to be written like the baltimore catechism. this is why they love victorian neo-scholasticism: it butchers aquinas into easily-digestible excerpts and summaries rather than engaging with the substance of his works or his commentators.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

I take it you're not a fan of tradical

tradical is a homophobic and low-key racist asshat who thinks that wanting to be catholic someday imparts the same grace as baptism. i was, at one time, in a group DM that he was in and had to stop because it was too infuriating. i made a crack once about how he's not a trad because to be a trad you have to be catholic, and he sicced his weirdo nazi catholic buddies on it. i don't have time for people who pal around with fascists

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

My position on this has shifted a little, in part because I've met a lot of converts who have used their wider reading to make disingenuous arguments in favor of positions they personally prefer. This is especially common from Catholic Twitter, I'm sad to say. Everything Bel Canto said about tradical is right.

on the flip side, i've known plenty of converts who settled in perfectly well. i think a key difference is whether they have access to and participate in a faith community from the early stages of their conversion. my friend whom i sponsored this past easter came to the catholic church after a long journey from his baptist upbringing through mainline protestantism and finally to catholicism, but he regularly associated with catholics and, at our encouragement, prioritized getting answers from living people rather than the internet. in my experience the catholic converts who have serious problems are the ones for whom it's been a purely intellectual exercise devoid of sacramental and communal life. learning to "think with the church" isn't some mystical process, though obviously i think grace plays a key role. but it IS a process of living and participating in a catholic community, and when someone is converting without that process, you get weird poo poo, and at the far end you get someone like tradical who's LARPing being a catholic while refusing to get baptized b/c he's like, choosing the "right" parish or some poo poo

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Cythereal posted:

For what it's worth, to me church community has always mattered far more than theology. I don't sweat the fine print and I don't think God does either. I think what matters most is finding a healthy Christian community that works for you and is full of people who support you and whom you can support in turn.

yes, the church community is absolutely vital. what i think a lot of people don't get is that for catholics and orthodox, theology and community are inextricably intertwined with one another. the primary teacher of christian living is the christian community, and we are saved through our incorporation into the mystical body of Christ. even our hermits and anchorites existed historically in ways that connected them to the church and allowed their spiritual work to inform the life of the church and vice versa. for us, being a christian in isolation isn't just bad, it's totally nonsensical. i'd even go so far as to say that if the only place someone has learned catholic or orthodox theology is from books, they haven't actually learned anything.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

don't think so, i talk to him pretty regularly, though i've definitely mentioned this thread as a Good Place in the leftcath group DM

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

can you read classical and medieval latin? it's... a little bit like saying new yorkers and londoners don't speak the same english. i'm exaggerating a little, but not a lot - medieval latin is very close to classical latin, and many of the quirks that set it apart are derived from the way Jerome translated the Vulgate

As an Indo-European philologist, they're pretty different. Lots of shifts in vocabulary, usage, and sentence structure, including a pretty marked shift toward fixing word order.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Personally I'd be very happy with an elevated register of the vernacular, which I think is one of the great contributions of the Anglican tradition: "Prayer Book English" is sacralized and set apart, but still understandable to an ordinary person. The desire for sacral language crosses religious lines, like Metternich said: I was at a funeral yesterday at a black Baptist church in northwest Detroit, and the pastor's fluidity in shifting registers between the sacral English of the KJV and the still-sacred but closer-to-vernacular language of traditional black American preaching was really marvelous to witness.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

No joke I would love to have you guys and any other of the posters here share their knowledge, wisdom, humor. We'll make it work.

I've already been quoted in Vox twice so i'm sure the trads want me dead already. count me in if you need gay catholic poo poo, and I'll happily listen in

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Mark Jordan's Rewritten Theology: Aquinas After His Readers is really good on the ways in which Thomism has become a buzzword for "whatever I imagine Thomas to have said." Thomas is a first-rate thinker who synthesized Catholic doctrine up to that point in fascinating, provocative, and not always workable ways: many professed Thomists engage with a version of him constructed out of excerpts and reconstruct even the Summa itself in the image of that reorganized and sanitized Thomas presented in seminary textbooks.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

There was a really good piece yesterday in the LARB that discussed the public role of theologians and theology, and the disappearance of that role over the second half of the previous century. It also takes a look at the work of Orthodox theologian David Bentley Hart as an example of someone still engaged in the project of public theology.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

yeah uhhh, i hope he realizes that monastic rules are generally extraordinarily demanding. anyone under the rule of st. benedict is going to get up at about 3:30 am. monks get about seven hours' sleep each night and work during the day

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

How do you not know who Edward Feser is. Reading Feser is like the first step for arguing about Natural Law on the internet.

edward "waifu marriage is more real than gay marriage" fesser

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Numerical Anxiety posted:

True enough.

Question for you and the other orthodox types - call it a hunch, but I'm assuming that there's a significant correlation between "young orthodox laymen with big monastic style beards" and "people I might best avoid"? Or am I just being paranoid about Orthodox hipsters?

hegel has on multiple occasions referred to "earnest bearded dudes named who call themselves Nikephoros (birth name Chad)" in this thread. they're definitely a type and yeah they're generally awful

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

some of it is the medicalization of homosexuality, yeah: it repudiated the incoherence of the “sodomite,” which was the only figure in whom homosexual behavior was publicly legible in the west prior to medicalization. but this legibility was severely limited, because even people who regularly had same-sex liaisons didn’t gloss themselves as sodomites: alan bray wrote a v good book about this (Homosexuality in Renaissance England). this was a larger part of the development of civil society and the decoupling of public affairs from direct legislation by the church, which culminated in the massive catholic identity crisis that arose with the loss of the papal states to italian unification and wasn’t even mostly resolved until vatican 2

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Tias posted:

So hallow's eve is coming up, do you liturgigoons do anything cool for that?

We're setting up the harvest blót, appeasing the hungry dead who have an easier time popping in at this time so they don't plague the year to come :black101:

it used to be traditional to hold a vigil for all saints on october 31st; people would read from the lives of the saints, pray compline and matins, and then go visit the local graveyard to decorate the graves of their loved ones. they might also make a point of visiting and venerating local relics or local places of particular significance to a saint.

the really good poo poo comes in the following two days: hallowmas gives us the liturgy of all saints and, in the anglophone world, some absolutely baller hymnody. i'm pretty sure any anglophone church that doesn't celebrate hallowmas with Vaughan Williams's "For All the Saints" is doing it wrong.

then of course comes all souls' day, the day of prayer for the dead. it's traditional to hold a requiem mass on that day, and if you can find a really traditional one with black vestments, it owns pretty hard. gimme that good Dies Irae poo poo and a homily about the dread of the final judgment and the need for fasting and repentance and i'll be happy as a clam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

Do any 9f you people crack open the catechism ever or is it just open season on Dangerous Comforting Thoughts in here?

there are in fact people here with graduate degrees in theology and adjacent fields who probably know christian theology better than you do, so cut your patronizing bullshit. but Tias isn’t a christian and we aren’t evangelizing and you’re needlessly being a dick to someone who knows very well that what he’s doing is not in keeping with christian practice

• Locked thread