Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007

my dad posted:

Why, whyyyyy do so many Paradox games players believe that the mechanics of Paradox games are how the world actually works?

Indeed, when all along it's been Rockstar whose really understood the machinations of man...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Hello Christian goons! This is an excellent thread. I am a lapsed Jew, and I have a bunch of questions. I'll start with the simplest.

Regarding the Trinity, "Father" and "Son" is pretty self explanatory, but what is "Holy Spirit" supposed to be?

I am not a theologian. I practice Catholicism, try to hang out with as many other denominations and faiths and nonfaiths, and the following answer does not come from my catechism.

It has been most helpful for me to think of the Holy Spirit as what it sounds like, the spirit of holiness. We can observe holiness practiced in many different ways by men and women past, present and future. Siddhartha Gautama is a holy man who went into the wilderness and fasted to receive wisdom about creation. John the Baptist and Jesus do this, too. Billions of us normal homo sapiens do small or profound, regular or infrequent acts of holiness, particular to our context and experience, in attempts to establish some kind of rapport with the mysteries or divinities of our existences. I've understood the Holy Spirit to be the nonphysical qualities which connect all of these countless individual experiences, and Christianity also believes this spirit of holiness to be God, and so has the properties of also being omnipresent, omnipotent, and omnibenevolent.

The takeaway consequence for me is a respect for the holy traditions and practices that everyone has a right to, within my circles and without. Keeping in mind that there are still charlatans, for the most part folks try to engage the deep mysteries with as much sincerity as they can muster, and I bear witness that they do this in the presence of a spirit of God.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Bollock Monkey posted:

I saw a thing saying that lurkers should just post, and whilst I'm not much of a lurker here I haven't seen this broached in my skim-reads of this thread. I have always wondered how people know they've picked the right religion/the right version of a religion and I'm interested to hear some thoughts on that, if anyone's happy to tell me any. Whilst I appreciate that not all religious institutions/individuals have the same "If you don't believe exactly what I do then you're going to Hell!" thing, as I understand it there is usually some degree of feeling that your version is the 'correct' one to some degree or another and I find that interesting because it's something I just don't have context to understand. So... How do you know you picked correctly?

That's a billion dollar question!

I'll say that it's been helpful for me to dis-occupy myself from focusing on versions and picking, and to consider instead looking at my spiritual health and the well-being of others. This is of course harder to diagnose than a physical ailment, but I'd argue that you and I have no less an innate ability to gauge and make rapport with a spiritual dimension than the Buddhas, the Prophets, or any living religious leader has. The same tools and wisdoms available to them are largely available to us. I think you will find (if you have not already) that you have remarkable ability to distinguish what is charlatanry and what is sincere, what is idolatry and what is firmly true. At that point I found myself less concerned on whether I have grasped and practice the right version of the truth, and now I'm working to honor and apply the truths that I have learned. I'm not able to say I have the answer to every question, but I've learned enough answers to my questions that I can proceed, if that makes any sense.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Well the historical leap is not a leap to them at the time of writing, because they weren't several thousand years removed. Though the Gospels weren't written by direct apostles they were written by guys who knew the apostles, probably, or at least were written in a timely enough fashion such that they could identify the guy.

I mean, I would say probably the historical accuracy of which middle Eastern dude 2000 years ago was the Messiah is much less important than the lessons being taught but that's probably a minority opinion, though I'd say that historicity is less important than one's personal relation with God right now, and I imagine that's agreeable.

I think this is on point.

I'll add that I like to contemplate how the message of Jesus must have exchanged hands from follower to follower to get to me. It must be an incredibly complicated web of relationships and teachings and imperfect but sincere understanding of a god that is omnipresent, omnipotent and omnibenevolent. To me, this is the mystery of faith.

I'd also argue that gospel of Jesus is most powerfully transmitted through love, which is going to be a personal experience characterized by the loved ones in your life, and this is going to be a much more important driver than any philosophical or spiritual contemplation can arrive at. To quote Dr. Cornel West, "I am who I am because somebody loved me, somebody cared for me, somebody attended to me." The litany of people who have loved me and their relationship to God is foundational to my identity as a Christian.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Worthleast posted:

This is why I love Aquinas, because for how academic and goony he really was, the man had a prayer life that anchored everything in reality. Look at the office he composed for Corpus Christi. It's all super doctrinal, yet full of obvious love.

Had to read it for myself, was impressed.

quote:

On the cross Thy Godhead
Made no sign to men;
Here Thy very manhood
Steals from human ken:
Both are my confession,
Both are my belief;
And I pray the prayer
Of the dying thief.

I am not like Thomas,
Wounds I cannot see,
But I plainly call Thee
Lord and God as he;
This faith each day deeper
Be my holding of,
Daily make me harder
Hope and dearer love.

Insightful, relevant, and it rhymes! This is a translation, of course, but why I am hopeful that there is already a broad and undefeated spirit of ecumenism in the people is because of things like the common recognition of the sacrifice Jesus was willing to make for everybody. Accepting his execution was a part of his ministry of love and justice. Even as clerics and theologians remain organizationally or philosophically divided, it does not stop followers of Jesus from gathering to reflect on and perform the work of the good news.

pidan posted:

Basically what happened is, I read some Bible to find some sort of relationship with Jesus, and it turns out maybe I don't like him that much, even though his friends talk really highly of him. Or maybe it's that the sermons of Jesus read like a commentary on first century Israeli politics, and not so much a guide on things that are relevant today. It has lots of texts like these:

I appreciate the honesty you're showing here and your continued dedication to want to get to the bottom of this mystery. Skepticism is the individual's safeguard from idolatry, and most things that humans call gods are actually just idols. And since you have already made the effort to understand Jesus from his perspective and context, I'd just like to ask: what are the relevant questions you have in your life, that you want answers and accountability from a god that is omnipotent, omnipresent and omnibenevolent? At the very least, I would like to pray on these questions and have them in my heart.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I am never ashamed to admit that I first learned about Chesterton through Deus Ex.

edit: oh snap, it's happening to me

Caufman fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 22, 2016

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tias posted:

I'm back from a seminar, and was told that( direct quote) "my God is not big enough". It translates badly, but essentially the teacher thought I had found faith but not trust in the divine, because I was still caught up too much with worry and regret over my life. I tend to agree, and have shifted my prayers to ask for the ability to trust in God.

If anyone itt could tell me about their personal level of trust in God, and how they came to have it, I would be very grateful. I find that I can believe in God just fine, but I still find myself wanting to control life and unable to trust that whatever has to happen, will happen.

I like your question a lot! It aims to get to the heart of a believer.

I'd characterize my level of trust in God by saying that I have to die daily to myself. Day after day I am beset by doubts and find myself surrendering to those doubts. They can sound like a dissatisfaction with the real sadness, anger, and misery I feel in myself or have to observe helplessly. I have to let these feelings live their life and then die, and I have to die to them so that something more important, a calling from God to love, can live in me. And I know this struggle can happen tomorrow or the next day, and it can happen while I'm talking to a family member or to a stranger, and it will be a struggle because this is a ministry.

I trust, though, that for all the mistakes that I have made today, and all the mistakes that were made by everybody, this day could not have gone any differently. It happened exactly as it should, as it must have by the laws that govern the universe. And I try my best not to doubt that this is orchestrated by a God that is love.

But lastly, I want to say that wanting to control life (presumably your own) is not incompatible or even contrary to trusting God. Epictetus was right, "Some things are in your control and others are not." The things over which you have control happen in the sight of God. Though I couldn't tell you any better than a fortune cookie what you are called to control, I have great faith that you can discern this through your own rapport with God.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tias posted:

Thanks, this is really good stuff :) I guess I meant that I try to control the universe: other people, institutions, uncontrollable entities - because I cannot bear the universe as it is.

I feel your pain. Let out as much of it as you want.

I think if comprehending the universe didn't feel unbearable, Jesus would not have wept blood in the Garden.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Just spent about ten minutes broken down and praying. :( I just don't understand how this could have happened. The next four to eight years are going to be awful, plus the long-lasting damage the GOP-controlled supreme court and congress will do. And the inevitable wars Trump will get us into, which have a real risk of going nuclear.

I just don't understand.

Don't be afraid! I feel comfortable in saying that your prayers are answered. Trump may have won an election last night. He did not defeat God, and he did not jeopardize the plan of salvation, yours or mine.

Tias posted:

Hillary would probably have started a couple more wars, so I'm not really convinced we ended worse off, but he's definitely going down as the worst prez in history.

Straight talk, thank you. The American presidency is a hegemonic title, and has been for longer than Trump has been an adult. Americans and non-Americans have come to expect the role to be at least part killer-in-chief. There are national sins that do indeed need washing; they are not trivial.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I suppose if that were to happen to you, you would "turn the other cheek"?

Martyrdom is a legitimate and possible conclusion to any believer's mortal life.

It is perfectly okay to wish for the cup to pass over you; it is appropriate to ask God to deliver you from evil. Uncounted numbers of people decide to follow a path of righteousness that leads them into harm's way. My prayers are with these people, especially when I'm not standing next to them as they catch hell.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I don't disagree, but are you basically advocating for a Christianized Weather Underground?

I don't think so. I'm hoping it's just Christianity that I'm advocating.

Deteriorata posted:

For the sake of the country and its citizens, I hope Trump does a superb job.

There's just nothing in his CV that suggests he will be in the slightest bit competent, however.

His supporters supposedly wanted change. I don't think they're going to like the change he brings.

It did only take the Grinch an hour and a half to grow a heart, and maybe a little bit longer for those Wizard of Oz folks to get their required components. It's not expected for presidents to govern like they campaign, but I don't think anyone will blame me or anyone for being very watchful of executive abuses.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 9, 2016

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Mr Enderby posted:

What do you do when you can't love your enemy?

(if you're into trigger warnings, then consider one from here on out. Also let me say I know how self-absorbed it is to make a horrible crime all about my own angst.)

What prompted me to ask this is a case that's currently being tried in Hong Kong, where a banker tortured and killed two women (the facts aren't in contention, the trial is over whether he was fully responsible, given his alcohol and drug use). The perpetrator was someone I knew, quite a few years ago (no internet detectiving please). He wasn't someone I was close with, and I can't actually remember a single conversation I ever had with him, but for a period I was frequently in a group that included him. I honestly have no memory of thinking anything positive or negative about him.

When I first read about the crime, I was horrified, but was also able to summon up some vague distant compassion for him, as a clearly very disturbed and unhappy person. Then I forgot about it until today, when I read some details from the court case. These were in a very explicit article in a UK tabloid. I really don't advise anyone to look for it, as they were very disturbing. Other news sources skimmed over or skipped some of the most macabre details. Basically one of the people killed was tortured, in multiple ways specifically designed to sexually humiliate her and remove her dignity as a human. The other was killed quicker, but not before she sent some gut-wrenchingly sad texts for help.

It seems impossible to feel any compassion for the killer. I don't want to hurt him, but I hope he gets removed from society, and dropped down a hole so nobody ever has to think about his face or name again. But I'm horribly aware that that same instinct, to see other humans as objects that can be got rid of when they get inconvenient, is exactly how he treated both his victims. He's not going to vanish when he gets convicted, but will go on being a human, who is presumably just as in need of Jesus' love as everyone else.

And yet to feel pity for him seems incredibly disrespectful to the people he hurt so badly. Particularly as he was enormously privileged, and the two people he killed were migrant sex workers, a type of person who have often been treated as somehow less worthy of dignity and compassion.

tl;dr I've somehow managed to live my life so far without noticing that "love thy neighbour" is a hard command to follow.

So this is from a little while back, but honestly I have been thinking and praying about it. It is recognized by theologians and by God that people do not love one another or themselves perfectly, and still it is important that we have this commandment in our hearts, so that we can love as fully as our hearts can. Often the most loving thing a person can manage is to wish a murderer to be incarcerated. Sometimes a situation is so critical and dynamic and life-and-death, we just wish for a perpetrator to have a quick death, and that is the most compassionate act that can be accomplished at the time.

Foremost, there is a call and a need for love for the victims. As migrant sex workers, they were already a part of a vulnerable population. Without knowing, I can imagine the lack of love they suffered in their life. For those that miss them, they need love, too. If you've reached your limit contemplating love for the killer, there is plenty of welcome for compassion elsewhere.

But also there are (and will always be) believers who are called or find themselves in a situation where they are trying to convey the love of Jesus to people who have done grave, terrible things. There are prison ministries, there are families and friends praying for members who've done unspeakable things, there are every day people who live under the possibility of death for a cause of love. In their attempts to do their personal missions, I believe God is with them.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

twerking on the railroad posted:

I think that we as Christians have dropped the ball on this one. Any possible association of Trump with Jesus needed to be shot down, and maybe I personally didn't just because I didn't think anyone seriously believed it. Or maybe I didn't feel like I was a good enough Christian to go seeking out that conversation. Well they do and that needs to be fixed. And you don't need to be a good Christian or even a Christian at all to go to the Jesus wikiquote page.

I am with you here in the fullness of spirit. Donald Trump does not come in the name of the Lord. His message is anti-gospel and unChristlike, and Jesus does not let me ignore that.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Is the joke that it looks like a Hebrew stylized 'DMV'?

Ha ha! I like a joke!

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I also like a gathering of two or three in the name of Jesus, even on the internet.

Thinking about Christianity and Donald Trump, I remember how his answer early in the campaign about the little wine and little cracker which makes him feel cleansed. His unreflective and impenitent personality before God disqualified him from my vote, but even more broadly, it exposes a vigorless Christianity in America.

Maybe I'm crazy to call out a modern Christianity of the little wine and cracker. It looks weak, superficial, and unlikely to bring anyone to salvation. But I would also like to know if I'm missing something from the Holy Spirit that Donald Trump and his supporters get.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

as with much in religion, it is not primarily the thing itself which has significance, rather it is the meaning behind the gesture. and i think you are right to question what the heck is going on in a country where its citizens overwhelmingly claim to be christian, yet millions and millions of these people did not react in laughter to the ham-handed religious appeals made by an orange man

Like an aristocratic attempt to undermine the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church of Jesus, he is disconcertingly orange...

Cythereal posted:

The only people here I know who voted Trump out of anything pertaining to religious reasons said they don't like Trump himself but voted GOP due to the Supreme Court - they believed they had an obligation to vote for the party that opposes abortion, homosexuality, transgenderism, etc. There was a nice old lady at church who said she adored Hillary and thought she'd be a much better president, but she had to vote against Hillary because a Hillary presidency would mean expanded LGBT and abortion support.

A Christian's support for homophobia is really why I'm very sympathetic to Mo Tzu's anger at the acceptance that homosexuality, transgenderism, and related identity issues is inherently sinful. Again, as a witness of Jesus, I have yet to find the fruit of homophobia to show any promise for spiritual salvation.

On the topic of abortion, I also observe that it is incomplete for an American Christian to consider the killing of embryos and fetuses to be the only debasement of human life that they will hold their government accountable for.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

God didn't change, the culture did. The perception of God and how he's described is what is different between the two testaments.

Indeed, every contributor to the Bible lived in a specific time and place, their full context lost. To the believer, it has always been one God.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I'm not unsympathetic, just acutely aware of the fragility of this thread in this area.

Out of curiosity, how long has this topic's prohibition been going on, and how much longer is it planned for? Eternity is an acceptable answer.

Mercy to the people who bring it up.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

since the last thread; until the next one, probably. we should all remain friends in here

Inshallah.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

There are plenty of good Christian films. The Vatican even has an official list.

Sadly, it appears to be missing Jesus Christ Superstar, but then, nobody is perfect.

I like the list, but I see that it hasn't been updated. How about some worthwhile film recommendations from the last 20-ish years?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If some living mortal has a winning argument for being good, please share it quickly with the world.

Folks who already have a sense of compassion for others are precious. Encouraging it in others is the work of sages. I think that "Why be good?" is a question of purpose and meaning. An individual's will to meaning will be thoroughly personal to their particular situation and in every moment of their life.

Without knowing your friend, it is impossible for me to suggest what exactly will call them towards the ultimate meaning of their life with respect to an omnipresent and omnibenevolent God. But I'm encouraged that wise people throughout the world and throughout history have praised and practiced goodness. I pray for the Holy Spirit to make clearer the foundations of this goodness in your friend, which is no doubt unfolding as God intends.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

pidan posted:

Thank you :)
I think I'm a bit sheltered, because the idea that a person wouldn't agree that, in principle, being good is desirable and important was really foreign to me. I can't imagine rejecting the concept of the Good is a widespread opinion. Is it?

Anecdotally, it has not been a widespread opinion from what I've seen.

But every kind of evil remains available to every kind of person, even if they've professed a belief in the Good, or even in God. I don't even know if the sum total of my actions and their consequences (ie, my karma) will be all that virtuous and good for the world in the end. Only a god's valuation of that will mean anything.

If this sort of questioning is important to you, I strongly recommend Viktor Frankl's Man's Search For Meaning and its more cerebral sequel, Man's Search for Ultimate Meaning. Frankl was a Jewish neurologist captured and placed in a Nazi concentration camp. His story reminds me of a modern-day Job. In it he talks about realizing the personal foundations of a will to meaning. An individual who knows their will to meaning can endure the temptations, challenges and sufferings that will no doubt happen in any life. And if they can align their individual will to meaning with a grander, ultimate meaning, it will further inform them on how they ought to act towards themselves and others. For a Christian, this involves taking up one's cross to love and be merciful to one's neighbors.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Calvary has already been mentioned in this thread, and is an essential watch, imo. Larrain's The Club is another a great film dealing with a difficult topic. So is the 2008 adaptation of Doubt.

Or, if you want something more light-hearted, go watch Man of Steel and marvel at all the Christian imagery.

How about Of Gods And Men?

And is anyone watching The Young Pope?

Caufman fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 25, 2016

Caufman
May 7, 2007

CountFosco posted:

Read the Man Who Was Thursday.

I'm not ashamed that I read that book because it was in Deus Ex.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the enneagram system is a fun form of pseudoscience, and it's rome-approved!

p.s. i went to the big martin luther exhibit today. i took so many pictures, it's gonna take me a while to sift through them all

The enneagram of personality has been very influencial to me, and I'm glad you brought it up.

What I most like about it over Meyers-Briggs and Big Five is that the enneagram deals specifically with levels of health. Like the Tolstoy quote about happy families, the enneagram supposes that healthy individuals resemble one another in being well-adjusted, productive, and conscientious. But people break down in their particular way. Some become murderous, others suicidal, and my type (the nines) become useless and inert.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Thirdly, "Job" and the big problem within that, the problem of evil and the problem of a divinity that is partially malevolent?

Peace be with you, brother bugman! I take your questions about the problem of evil seriously, because every believer and non-believer will suffer, and they must make choices whether that suffering diminishes or reinforces the meaning of their life. Is there some particular suffering that you witness or endure which vexes you? I ask not because I want to pry into your personal life, but because I want to pray for you as I want you to pray for me. Compassion for the suffering of others seems to remain important for both of us, whether there is a god who is omnipotent and omnibenevolent, and whether that god is worth worshiping.

For my part I don't have a universal answer to the problem of evil to give to you, but I want to recommend Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning" which is available for free in its entirety on the Internet Archive. I recommend this because Frankl is a modern Job, a Jew who is imprisoned by the Nazis in a concentration camp. His family and loved ones are killed, and he is thrown in a place meant to rob his life of its value and ultimately kill him. Here a man must deal with the problem of evil in a very real way, not as a philosophical argument but as a constant, torturous experience which tempts him and his comrade-prisoners to abandon their own value of their lives, resigning to hopelessness and suicide or worse, betraying one another for special privileges or reprieve from suffering.

I personally recommend Frankl's work especially because he talks in a secular language, but he also acknowledges the limits of a secular, psycho-therapeutic response to questions about the meaning of life in the face of the knowledge and experience of suffering. Though his position is deeply spiritual, he does not demand a particular worship or a particular understanding of divinity and the individual's relationship to it. Despite the gloomy subject matter, "Man's Search for Meaning" is very approachable, and Frankl does not waste time or obfuscate his point.

If you do not read his book, I hold nothing against you either. It was ten years between the time I was first given a copy of "Man's Search For Meaning" before I actually sat down to read it. When I did I saw that Frankl and I (though we will worship differently until our dying day) both accept and share with our fellow prisoners a common message: the salvation of man is in love and through love. There is no way for either of us to solve within ourselves the problem of evil without this recognition of love.

Peace be with you, brother bugman. I praise your skepticism because it will deliver you from many thin forms of idolatry. if we should be so lucky as to speak again when our lives are over, you will have to tell me what you learned about suffering and ultimate meaning.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Sir or Madam. I appreciate what you are most likely trying to do. However I would very much appreciate it if you did not include me in your prayers. If you wish to do something then donate to a charity of your choosing. I will discuss the rest of the content of your message later. I do apologise if I have given offence.

No offense taken, because it is quite special to me that you mean to give no offense!

Though it is a bit of a mental challenge for me to specifically not include any particular someone in prayer. I am a believer in two great truths, one that the universe and each part of it behave in accordance to laws of nature, and two that the unfolding of these laws can be called Good, in a way that is meaningful even to us regular people. The first truth is most fruitfully exercised with science, and the second with spirituality. Prayer is part of my spiritual exercise to acknowledge the goodness I can see and act with respect to it, especially in moments when it is not easy for me to do so. In his stoic Meditations, Marcus Aurelius put it this way:

Begin the morning by saying to thyself, I shall meet with the busybody, the ungrateful, arrogant, deceitful, envious, unsocial. All these things happen to them by reason of their ignorance of what is good and evil. But I who have seen the nature of the good that it is beautiful, and of the bad that it is ugly, and the nature of him who does wrong, that it is akin to me; not [only] of the same blood or seed, but that it participates in [the same] intelligence and [the same] portion of the divinity, I can neither be injured by any of them, for no one can fix on me what is ugly, nor can I be angry with my kinsman, nor hate him. For we are made for co-operation, like feet, like hands, like eyelids, like the rows of the upper and lower teeth.[1] To act against one another, then, is contrary to nature; and it is acting against one another to be vexed and to turn away.

I also try to start my day with a meditation that is very similar, though I am explicitly a Christian and Marcus Aurelius is not. So, our emphasis are a little different. I want to also acknowledge that I will fail to be grateful, humble, honest, kind and social, and that when I do bad or others do bad, it is not a lethal failure of goodness, because a powerful, healing mercy also exists, which triumphs enough to prevent anyone's existence or existence as a whole from sliding into meaninglessness or goodlessness.

So if any of that makes sense, it is not easy for me to not include a particular person or part of existence from my prayer, but I also do not want to give offense, and so I apologize if I do, too! I will most definitely donate to a charity in your honor.

I also want to say that it is personally very gratifying to me to hear your critique of God with the problem of evil. Because it is heartening to hear that, if one is given power (and especially if one is all-powerful), one should not be an rear end in a top hat. This is a very important moral quality to have, and it is not a given that powerful people will have this! It is more encouraging to hear you say something like that than it would be to hear a pope or a president say that they've read Job and don't find anything troubling about God's behavior.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

my dad posted:

Who shat in your cereal?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

excuse me, as a traditionalist I know every word that comes out of His Holiness' mouth is rank heresy so give me a few moments to invent a reason why fake news is actually good or maybe I'll just start screaming about liberals and never stop

Peter Kreeft is an ex-Calvinist convert and I generally agree with him regarding the existence of an absolute morality, but wow a lot of his supporters are just plain awful people who don't understand philosophical arguments and see the devil of moral relativism in every shadow (hint: it's Mussolini and von Mises, not Martin Luther King.)

Who are the people who think Martin Luther King (Jr? I assume) is a moral relativist?

SirPhoebos posted:

Question for Catholics: What is the theological basis that gives Cardinals the power to elect a new Pope?

Theologically, the basis of power for the electors to chose a new Pope is God the Holy Spirit, the fount of wisdom which each elector (and non-elector, for that matter) has access and obligation to.

Materially, a papal conclave is a millennia-old tradition of oligarchical and theocratic selection, and its rules have been developed alongside other material pressures of power and succession in medieval Europe.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Also, is moral relativism bad, as a thing? I know this isn't the "philosophy 101" thread, but I am curious.

What does moral relativism mean to you?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I assumed it meant "there is no fully agreed on moral standpoint for all people, therefore it is best to assume that your morals are not always the best". However I would also say that it is hard/ nigh on impossible for there to be a universal "source" for moral behaviour.

I can agree with your statement and its humility. Especially for people in power, they should very much consider the fragility of their conscience.

Related, I also think it's important for us to consider the works of thinkers who do try to contemplate and develop theories of justice and morality that try to get at universal principles. John Rawls especially comes to mind right now.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The Lord is with you, Bel_Canto!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This mindset is so alien to me. I'm perversely motivated by the expectation that selfishness and tyranny have the advantage in nearly every respect and that being a good person is alike to spiting the universe for working the way it does.

In nearly every respect except at least in one, and that is the respect of the Kingdom of Heaven. Who wants to be an oppressor when the Lord asks what have you done for the least among my brothers and sisters?

But being oppressed is a great trauma that is inflicted on some (possibly many, possibly all) people. This trauma is absolutely non-trivial by the estimations of God, and they have life-and-death consequences. To heal the pain of oppressed peoples requires a response of great love, the kind of love Jesus taught.

At least for me, there is a lot to empathize with both the oppressor and the oppressed.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Because you can simply decide that God meant this to be something you need to do to further His divine plan. I mean otherwise He'd have stopped you, right? Plus then you bury the people who you've oppressed and don't need to think about them, because you won and have been forgiven.

It's a very compelling contradiction, the problem of evil with an omnibenevolent God. The Man Who Was Thursday is one very witty and enjoyable metaphor about a detective who is sent on a quest to find a philosophical terrorist mastermind, who discovers at the end that the mastermind is also the one who sent him on his quest. It is not a perfect story by a perfect man, but it was an important part of my personal development and many others, I suspect.

For me it comes down to considering the immediate and long term implications of asking, "Why be good, when evil is accessible?"

Another good story about sin and evil is Westworld, which is definitely worth a binge on HBO Now, which has a free month offer.

quote:

Even if there is a heaven and it's perfect and you don't get to go I doubt that is much good for the oppressed. Especially if they don't even believe in a heaven and would actually just prefer to not be being oppressed thank you.

That is an appropriate request, too.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

Can I use the word sin yet in the Christianity thread yet.

It would be a sin not to call a sin a sin.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Actually I think in a lot of cases the more pressing question is why be morally good when happiness is more accessible? Why would self-deprivation be a good thing? And that's the thing that modern society struggles with.

The four cardinal virtues; prudence, justice, temperance, courage. That's fuckin' Plato. They're not new ideas.

CountFosco posted:

Being morally good is happiness. The happiness of our millenia-old consumerist culture pursues is chasing after the wind.

Those for cardinal virtues speak NOTHING of the telos. A demon could be prudent. A complete monster could act in a just way. How many demons show temperance? What could be more courageous than to rebel against God?

I find both of these to be quite right contradictions. A believer is prepared to accept that moral goodness is burdensome, but ultimately liberating.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Despite his fondness for quoting Aquinas, Bob Page is really more into transhumanism.

Though, come to think of it, I guess there's nothing preventing someone from becoming a Christian transhumanist.

The Jesuit priest Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (may have) said, "We are not humans having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience."

The transhumans, robots, and aliens will have their own need for rapport with the invisible God.

Josef bugman posted:

Are sins just those things that you "know it when you see it".

They are more than that, though you are equipped with a conscience that orients you to what is right and wrong.

quote:

I don't know what believers you've met, but mine have been made miserable by the fact that their families do not believe and think that therefore the people who raised them are going to hell. All of them. I find that not simply distasteful and sorrowful, but deeply and patently infuriating.

This is true; you do not know the believers I have met, and I do not know the believers you have met. And even if I were to meet them all, I wouldn't know their lives as they know it, and even less as God knows it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

But conscience is born out of our cultural expectations, or at least appears to be. Most people inherit (to a greater or lesser extent) the beliefs of their culture as regards good and evil. Does a conscience exist outside of that?

I believe so, but you'll have to tell me if feel your conscience is only born out of your cultural expectations.

quote:

Perhaps, but part of me does want to get very cross with the believers who cut out members of their own family for not being pious, and are so afriad of the loving God is going to send the family they love to hell. What kind of God would do that? What kind of person would think that someone they love would do that?

If you are thinking of someone(s) in particular who've cut out family members, it may be right for you to intervene. But if I may suggest, it may be more effective to approach them with humility than with annoyance, because you may not know everything that is in play within their family and their psyches.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's a rather unpleasant dichotomy.

Sincerely, how so?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If the human experience isn't spiritual, why are we even here? If the spiritual experience isn't human, then in what sense are we saved?

I'm not an expert on Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, but I don't think he wanted to question if the human experience is spiritual. His playing with words is to suggest that homo sapient existence is one iteration of a spiritual existence, and the first iteration we can witness. However, it may not be the only iteration of spiritual existence that exists now or will exist in the future.

So the spiritual existence is human, but isn't solely human. In what sense are we humans saved? In the sense that this human narrative still plays out in accordance to the unfolding of the universe, and that Jesus remains an earthly incarnation of God.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Mainly. Take a child from now back to ancient Greece and he'd wax poetic on the joys of slave ownership. Do the same and take her back to the 1700's and she'd probably believe women shouldn't have the franchise. The only other option is to either construct a conscience based on what seems like a good idea, again informed by ones cultural ideas, or in active opposition to the cultural ideas. Even the latter would still be informed by the ideas, they'd simply be based on rejection. Active personal choice would mean being able to work from first principles and even most of those are constructs to a greater or lesser extent.

The child you're talking about is not a real person we can talk to, but a hypothetical for the sake of discussion, which is fine, but he does not have a conscience except the one we are making up for him.

But let's accept his existence as a parable so we can speak to him, and likely there were Greek children who could wax poetic on slave ownership. I would ask him to contemplate John Rawl's mental exercise of the veil of ignorance, to imagine if he didn't know whether he would be a slave owner or a slave, an ancient Greek or a transhuman Martian, and then to contemplate what justice is.

quote:

We've had talks about it. I am not a close friend, though I was at one point. I agree it would be best to approach in humility. But part of me really does want to ask why she believes a God that loves her would hate her family so much. It wouldn't go anywhere good I know that. But I would still like to know.

That is an excellent question, though, and completely substantial. "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way," said Tolstoy. I don't know why there is brokenness in your friend's family, but I know why there is brokenness in mine, and it is because of suffering and trauma that is hard to talk about.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

CountFosco posted:

From the clips I've seen of this, the character of the young pope himself is a completely Satanistic figure.

Tremendous spoilers: The pope of the show has unlikable qualities, and it takes several episodes for what is holy and loving about him to be apparent. When they do become apparent, you see him to be deeply un-Satanlike. I found it to be a worthy show by the end.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

That's the thing, from my own limited perspective, it is not broken. Her mum and dad are married for a very long time, her mum a successful writer and her dad with a job in land surveying. Her brother and her get along well, and they often seem to play articulate together and have fun. But she still sees them as going to hell because they do not believe in God. Her family is none religious, to the point of Atheism, but she was very into Church during school and it continued on to university when there was a huge break up with her boyfriend etc. Now she believes that God will not accept her family at all because of their lack of direct belief.

I find it very sad.

For what it's worth, I find that sad, too.

This is the most compassionate, intelligent thing I've heard a Christian say about atheism, and something to keep in mind if you ever ask your friend why she thinks God either hates or does not accept her family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWIsawVjvWI

CountFosco posted:

I've only seen clips from the later episodes, not full episodes, so I can't say for sure, but that isn't the impression I had of how it ended.

In episode 10 he talks about how to humiliate someone effectively, and how effective it is. Then he's called diabolical and it's just laughed off. He's a complete egotist. You can see his inability to think outside of his own desires in how he literally makes little children cry.

Just because he's working to remove a corrupt sister in Africa or exile a paedophile Bishop to Alaska doesn't mean he's doing God's work. He's Satan, he knows his own, and he hates them just as much as he hates everyone else.

Another example. He says that Gutierrez has transformed fear into anger. He congratulates growing anger in Gutierrez, stokes that flame. Does that seem Christian to you?

It does, because of Gutierrez's development. I've loved Gutierrez from the very first scene he has with Pope Pius XIII; his goodness and meekness was so clear and lovable. But he was also timid. It's virtuous that he is timid before God, but he was also afraid of the material world and the very real evil that lurks in it, and that limits the goodness that Gutierrez can perform. His harrowing journey and ultimate success in America is a transformation of fear of evil into righteous anger that, when channeled through justice and love, serves God.

Was one of the scenes you happened to catch the one where Cardinal Ozolins returns from Alaska and the Pope approaches him in the garden?

But after one watch through the series, I am glad Pope Pius XIII is a fictional pope and Pope Francis is a real pope. An ambiguous pope is an anxious thing to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

pidan posted:

He already played an Italian in Sleuth so I guess someone out there thinks he looks Italian.

I'd watch young pope if I knew where to find it, and also if I had the time to watch TV serials.

... as things stand I just watch the regular old Pope.

The real, living Pope is definitely more important than the Young Pope, who is a story and only the shepherd of a billion fictional souls.

Has anyone else been moved by the papacy of Francis? In his role as a spiritual father, he's been illuminating and challenging to me. I've especially found personal and universal significance in mercy as the first attribute of God.

• Locked thread