Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Mo Tzu posted:

Hey did you guys know the Buddhist church of America has programmed services in the style of Christian services

Hymns, readings from scripture, reading quotations from the founder and foundational thinkers, and there's even pews

We even bow to the altar to show respect and reverence

Yessir jodo shinshu is not only non-discriminatory it's also super familiar to western Christians. Don't genuflect tho that's apparently a "faux pas"

I bet they don't even transubstantiate anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Mo Tzu posted:

Well there are legends about people ascending to the pure land without dying first

Or something like that

So there's that

Yes but do you eat their flesh in your mass? This is very important.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Happy birthday God.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Otoh, science is insanely boring

:(

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Japanese people don't really understand Christianity but think the symbolism is cool

For Naruto Christian over there, middle school is a hell of a drug

I'm p sure neon genesis evangelion is catholic dogma.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

quote:

Knaben liebt ich wohl auch, doch lieber sind mir die Mädchen;

Hab ich als Mädchen sie satt, dient sie als Knabe mir noch.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Well, we don't have to make that assumption. Changing the example, but keeping with food, I, probably like most westerners, find the idea of eating eyes or brains abhorrent. Again, doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with people who do, but the idea alone can be enough to provoke a strong reaction.

Brains taste like eggs but more bland just fyi. Anyways, I think we all agree that the best part of an animal is the tongue.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
The architecture thing rings very true to me. One of my strongest childhood memories is visiting the Aachener Dom. One of the few times I felt true awe in my life. Unfortunately for christianity, most of that feeling went into an overwhelming urge to restore the Empire, not a conversion.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Looks good. Hoping for mad homosexual tension. Churches could be more opulent.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Read Ratzinger's Introduction to Christianity and it was very nice. Are his Jesus books as good? Do they contain the same amount of "Academic yells about how wrong everyone else is and how can they be this stupid?" ?

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 30, 2017

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

pidan posted:

- no more human sacrifice
- no killing of disabled babies

You're right, these things are bad and that's why I think we should crucify all you disgusting christian cannibals. Follow your leader!

quote:

Again, to say that a man who had suffered capital punishment for a crime and the death-dealing wood of the cross are objects of their veneration, is to assign fitting altars to abandoned wretches, and to assert that they worship what they deserve to worship. The details of the initiation of novices are as horrible as they are well known. 1 An infant, covered with dough to deceive the unwary, is brought to the would-be novice, who, misled by the coating of dough and encouraged to deal what are apparently harmless blows, secretly stabs it to death. Then shame on them ! they thirstily lick up the child's blood and eagerly divide his limbs ; this victim is their bond of union, complicity in the crime is their pledge of mutual silence. Such rites are more abominable than any acts of sacrilege. What takes place at their banquets 2 is also well known ; it is every- where talked about, as is attested by a speech of our countryman of Cirta. 3 On a fixed day they assemble together, children, sisters, mothers, people of both sexes and of all ages. After much feasting, a dog, fastened to the lamp, is encouraged by some pieces of meat thrown to it to spring violently beyond the length of its chain. The lamp, which would have been an incon- venient witness, is overturned and extinguished ; after this riot and indecency reign supreme.

The Belgian fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 22, 2017

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Actually christians are secret polytheists. This trinity stuff isn't fooling anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
If you don't believe in ghosts, then what about the holy ghost? Checkmate.

• Locked thread