Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

it did mention putting someone in an oven

maybe it was a game of thrones reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

You forgot an important part of your question, I've fixed it for you. *thread schisms* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filioque

The Holy Spirit is pretty hard to explain or understand, which is one of it's defining features. It's sort of the more mystical aspect of the Trinity, invisible but often depicted as a dove. The Holy Spirit communicates grace and guides many aspects of Christian life such as interpreting scripture. It's behind-the-scenes God. Christians would say the Spirit dwells in all of us and pushes all of us toward righteousness and God. Someone who seeks a vocation or converts to Christianity would be "called by the Spirit," someone who lives a good Christian life and is a great example to the community is "full of the Spirit."

I like to think of it in terms of the original Hebrew which refers to the "breath" of God. The Holy Spirit is the breath of God and giver of life, invisible but working within all of us.

Indiana Jones has a lot of this kind of thing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

System Metternich posted:

Oregon church says: No fat chicks/dudes in or worship team, tyvm. Also no shoes with white soles and you have to speak in tongues and you have to be born again which to me are the two most weird/off-putting requirements altogether. Why the fixation on being born again, does that mean that people who have been members of this particular church since their birth but never had a profound spiritual crisis or whatever can't make it?

e: also their head pastor looks like all European clichés about Americans put together and made flesh:

i will say this about oregon, it's where the simpsons came from

No Fat Chicks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Well what else is it? Breaking an oath? Damaging another trust? Making a choice to abandon someone you used to care for? All of those things are, extremely, dickish. However I would argue that they are not evil. Hitting someone you are in a relationship with is, to my mind, far lower on my personal moral scale. Or psychologically abusing someone.

submitted to goons.txt

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Fair enough. Mind if I ask why?

I was kidding but making light of cheating is kind of childish.

Making too big of a deal about someone cheating on you is childish too but wars have been fought about it; it's no small thing.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Phlegmatist posted:

Whew, that casuistry.

How about hypothetically neither one has been happy in the relationship for years, the woman cheats on the man because he is depressed and emotionally unavailable, but the man has let his depression go untreated for years which is causing their relationship to fail and the woman has been outright preventing the man from seeking treatment since it would shame her family, who have been devout Christian Scientists for three generations and they believe that mental illness is a moral failing and therapy is bunk? Who is in the wrong? The woman for cheating, the man for ruining the relationship by being emotionally unavailable, the woman for preventing him from seeking help, or the family who has influenced her by their upbringing?

Maybe we can just go further and blame Adam and Eve. Jerkwads.

This is where honesty plays a key role.

And where certain churches encourage people to sit on it and spin.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Your will hasn't been restricted in that situation, though, just your ability to make your will into reality. Which, well, the world already does that to us all the time.

Westworld is all about rooting for the robots to kill their gods and take their thrones. :black101:

Also (MAJOR season spoilers don't click this if you haven't finished Westworld S1 holy poo poo) it ultimately winds back around to the idea that the only moral option open to someone with absolute power over his creations is for him to die voluntarily (after doing as much as he can to provide for their future) and set them free.

I still can't believe they didn't put Tom Waits on the player piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5X4N2exOsU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mo Tzu posted:

i always find it interesting how a lot of people who talk about "consumerist culture" rarely look beyond the veil of apps, iphones, and jeans and look to the real cause of this so-called "culture of consumption"; namely, capitalism. consumerist culture in this context becomes less about issues of class and poverty and more about scapegoating contemporary morality

but then i'm a former liberation theologian current buddhist who was extremely tired of liberal and neo-liberal theologians who walk close to the reality that capitalism is an evil system which perpetuates class inequalities and all sorts of isms (including racism and sexism) but then take a step back to talk about consumption. as though it's the people who buy the new iphone model that are responsible for the poverty in the 2/3 world! this sort of individualist morality that fails to recognize the structures and systems of inequality are incapable of creating the sort of change necessary to create true equality in the world

we should get together and talk about conspicuous consumption some time ;)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bel_Canto posted:

I'm not terribly fond of it, precisely because, as you said, the theology is pure fiction. Granted, I'm also deeply uncomfortable with anything other than an allegorical depiction of God the Father, no matter how progressive it might be. I guess there's nothing particularly wrong with people reading it just for pleasure, though I don't think it's particularly well-written either, but I think that reading it in the context of Christian theology is a severe mistake. I never felt like it grappled with the problems of evil and death in a serious way; it shares the too-common fault of Christian fiction of attempting to resolve all of its reader's doubts instead of accompanying them in uncertainty and affirming that nobody needs to have the answers to find holiness.

God was a woman in that, right?

The murder rape bits were tough to swallow but also something something forgiveness?

I didn't like that book but I read it in jail so maybe my context was bad.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Phlegmatist posted:

God the Father, the first person of the Trinity, is depicted as a black mammy archetype.

That's actually kinda hosed up whether or not you believe in God.

I take it you didn't like alanis morissette in dogma

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

that said i have never seen a kevin smith movie and also im drunk so w/e

he says nasty things about his wife to sell fleshlights

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

:monocle:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

System Metternich posted:

poo poo, I wanna be a "paid poster" too

Also they got slapped with three different permabans by three different administrators within two minutes, wow :eyepop:

They must be on to something :tinfoil:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HEY GAL posted:

i assume jesus's body worked like anyone else's, so to circulate oxygen throughout his body

Also to remove waste.

Shame it couldn't have removed a roman spear tip, thorns and some nine inch nails.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HEY GAL posted:

i will have to meat you to check

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA6k-a8-qvM

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

Nice. Looking forward to Vatican conspiracy theories surrounding Trump presidency now that anti-Russian sentiment has made a comeback.

Anti-Russian sentiment came back because Putin made several dick moves. Wiggles the last nukes he has at Chechnya and Ukraine and just lives up to the James Bondian image of an ex-KGB man in a cyberpunk world.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HEY GAL posted:

according to mexico: theory checks out

hay zeus and mohammed are the most popular names

let's fight about it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Smoking Crow posted:

Otoh, science is insanely boring

Yeah. I have a crusade against chemicals, myself.

They're real bad.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PecgRbdELAw

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

This will be long. Sincere thanks to anyone who reads through it, and even bigger thanks to anyone who can parse out what I'm talking about and help.

For most of my life, I've considered myself agnostic. I also prided myself on "knowing my mind", not having any secrets from myself, seeing the world for "what it is". Over the last few months, all of these beliefs have begun to crumble. The reasons are probably irrelevant, but I was startled to discover that almost everything I thought about who I was, why I thought the things I did, why I did the things I did, was wrong. It's a shock to discover how much your mind can lie to itself.

I realized I hadn't been agnostic. I was mentally an atheist, pretty sure there wasn't anything, but that the notion of nothing was too frightening and so I hedged it and decided I was agnostic. I prided myself on being "tolerant" of religious folks, though I now realize that was a mask for condescension. In a similar way, most other things I did or how I behaved was out of defensive mechanisms, mostly because of fear I guess? I'm still not entirely certain. Need more time to think about it.

I may be getting a bit off track here. In any event, as I became more open to who I really was and trying to find myself, I noticed a calling. It's very difficult to describe, but I hope some of you know the feeling I'm talking about. The feel of a summons for my spirit to return home. Before, I would have prefaced that with "This will sound lame, but" ... but I'm trying not to apologize for my thoughts. I think that you will either know what I'm talking about, or it will be impossible to describe. And also coincidences? Signs? Things that seemed to be saying, you're on the right track. The woman I've been casually dating, we had an intense talk and she said she was feeling these things too! That's just one of the signs, there have been so many. And to my agnostic self, that would have sounded like such bullshit. But ... I don't know, I don't have the right words. I hope someone knows what I'm talking about :)

I guess ... I'm wondering where to go from here. I don't think I'm looking for answers. I just don't even know the questions yet.

Thank you for reading this.

If you're not for real having a mental health crisis you can see little things sometimes that can reinforce your spirituality.

They're usually impossible to explain to another person and can be explained away by a brain scan that shows exactly which part of the fatty lump between our ears is activated by religion and spirituality.

Which then gives an opening to people who believe "whatever you call it" is aliens or something. Re-up your meds if you get to that point.

But that little bit of divinity I think we all experience when things are just odd is a blessing. Often it's not ominous, just a little ridonkulous. Like that plastic bag scene in American Beauty. It's pure schlock but it's also really enjoyable (but hard to share)

Also I don't think it's a thing you can pursue, it'll just come to you.

welp that's my weird thought

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

And going by polls, the actual American Catholics (not their priests) generally support LGBT rights and abortion access.

Then again, the entanglement of politics and religion in the US is the root of the reason why I consider myself a Baptist but not a Southern Baptist these days, and I'm not the only person I know who shares the sentiment. It's heartbreaking to see a religion and organization that should be synonymous with compassion, love, and mercy instead be a relentless font of bigotry, hatred, and greed.

However you feel about the strange interrelationships between clergy and US politics we have good news!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Washington DC just got hit by an atomic bomb?

I hate to react to a joke post riffing off my little joke but no, it has not.

Probs won't. Very little would be solved and these things have a way of err getting out of control

Well, you know

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
But we have a president who didn't do any lip service to a televangelist!

Also we had a perfectly fine president who put his minister front and center even though he said mean things about white people.

So, so far we're *hehe* in the black.

If you ignore all the presidents from before we were born Including the Catholic one who got his brains blown about.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Yeah. It was a "joke" from an American Christian deeply embittered by the American political system, its entanglement with religion, and how extreme the right wing of both have gotten.

It's a funny thing, looking at history. Historically, groups we'd call comparable to our far right have withered and died in times of peace, and grown strong in times of war and upheaval. "You provide the pictures and I'll provide the war" has never been such a terrifyingly prescient statement.

The Liveleaks of ISIS/ISIL made me scared of a bunch of dudes in jumped up Toyotas because they'd just give lesser Muslims a shovel and point a gun at their head and say "start digging"

"If you don't dig your own graves you get the knife"

I can not get that image out of my head.

I don't understand it but all of the Muslims I know are not insane murderers. Guess I'm just lucky that way.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

Does he put pineapple on pizza? This is important.

out of all the things to say about someone you picked the most divisize

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Maybe it's dumb to say but the biblehub.com has lots of options for those times you want to read about the issue with large quadripeds

It's as portable as your phone but if the great beast arises and he's DJTrump you could probably be put on a watchlist for xian persecution.

Cripes i need to stop political posting about how bad i think he is

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i don't know exactly how anime characters relate to christianity but i know animes play a factor in it

the crucifixion in anime bit of wikipedia is probably important historically

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mo Tzu posted:

all i know is trigun guy is catholic

can i emptyquote this itt?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Phlegmatist posted:

and this is how the christianity thread rips itself apart

someone said they were pro-life last page, yeah?

i was curious to hear their reasoning but knew it was against the rules but still

i hate threads that aren't on full derail mode

and they just barely mentioned it and i could be reading into it and be the thought criminal here

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

The Serbian reply is apparently "indeed, He is born!" which I dont think anyone else does. Weirdos.

Ваистину се роди my dad ;)

They did a tribute to this concept in Talladega Nights but blasphemed it up by having Taco Bell and KFC on the table still in its packaging

You could tell they weren't being sincere about Baby Jesus that way

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ceciltron posted:

Is it still bad to kind of have these weird moments of fantasizing where Crusades represent both war and eternal salvation? Asking for a friend.

We still have the Crusades though.

The best thing if you're worrying about salvation is to discourage others from participating.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
http://biblehub.com/matthew/10-34.htm

He said cryptically but also some good poo poo about peace and treating each other well, iirc

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's not that cryptic. The verses immediately following the one you posted make it fairly clear what he means.

But that requires paying attention to the whole message which is boring and lame.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WerrWaaa posted:

ITT crazy old hermits who could talk to snakes

Please get back when you don't need to talk to bears they just do g-d's will

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Phlegmatist posted:

have you even seen the responses the pope gets on twitter

no but i'm intrigued

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Phlegmatist posted:

Read through people replying to him and see how long it takes you before you spot somebody tweeting "There is no other head of the Church but the Lord Jesus Christ. Nor can the Pope of Rome, in any sense, be head thereof; but is that Antichrist, that man of sin, and son of perdition, that exalts himself, in the Church, against Christ and all that is called God" at the pope. It's like a Calvinist drinking game where everyone loses.

Isn't that a fairly common response?

Not quite sane but I've heard it before.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I have zero ideas about the Calvinist drinking game though.

Last summer I spent some time with the homeless and one of them got extremely irate when I told him about a family friend/pastor guy who used Calvin and Hobbes to illustrate philosophical concepts.

I didn't even say what his opinion was on whether the little boy or the stuffed tiger was better but he got all CALVINISTS!*

He wasn't religious either, he was in to Lyndon Larouche.

*And now I've met a homeless dude who is named Calvin and he is in some dire straights from this weather

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Praying the wrong way always makes me think of The Screwtape Letters

poor british sod praying to a spot on the ceiling

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Let's talk about Job.

I mean it's odd to constantly use fictional references to refer to the biblical stuff but, eh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPHi-8DSJbo

Somehow I feel like one of you nerds has a better answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

I wonder what the Devil feels like when he gets up in the morning. It must be hard to go on each day knowing that all of your struggles are futile and that no matter how hard you try, you will never win.

He's just an advocate for things, he brushes his face straightens his tie and gets ready to do the necessary

As i understand it

• Locked thread