Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

my dad posted:

I may actually change my mind about the, uh, :effort: OP if it gets lurkers to stop lurking and :justpost:

I especially adore venerate like the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Worthleast posted:

Post the sweetest Church music you got. Christian Rock is not Church music, for it is neither good Christianity, nor good rock.

Vestments and architecture are a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y9yM53TowA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AhiSYk1zVLQ

For real though, that band's songwriter draws most inspiration from Beethoven and other contemporary superstars.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 20, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

Hmm, is it generally true across Europe that church isn't a big social affair with food and such? I guess that would surprise me.

There might be coffee afterwards sometimes if there's a visitor to the parish, like a missionary or something. Or some breakfast oatmeal if it's a family service. Might be different in some places but I'd say that's the rule of thumb in Finland. You come, you sit and chant, you maybe receive the Eucharist, you leave. It's likely you speak to no one and that's not because of Finnish stereotypes. It sucks big time.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Mr Enderby posted:

That's kind of sad. Maybe start something up? Honestly, apart from people with their kids, I'd guess most people who make time for church on a Sunday would be willing/glad to have a biscuit and a chat afterwards.

Most Anglican churches I've been to have had some sort of social event after their services, but this may be less common in the countryside. My mother's church (Presbyterian) does lunch every Sunday, although that's possible because there's an on-site kitchen and hall. There's a small charge, but it's waived for the homeless. I've cooked there a few times.

Many city parishes have actually started offering after-coffees. It may have some effect. I think there are multiple factors to why church isn't a social thing around here anymore. Staying to chat used to belong to Sundays but that was in a time where people lived even more apart, didn't have easy transportation and didn't have newspapers or more modern media channels. Eating together is not traditional and it kinda has to be invented. (Actually it's not a church thing only - people don't gather together in large numbers like they used to. For example many sports clubs are in trouble.)

One big thing is, however, that the age-old tradition of doing stuff together in benefit of others or the whole community (which even has a term of it's own in Finnish: "kökkä") is slowly eroding. People will pay for food whenever our parish has a soup sale and happily either eat their lunch there or buy soup home for later. It's getting five people to assist the cook that's horribly hard.

Also, your parishes won't probably function if people stop participating. Having 200 people in a parish means that you feel you're part of it. The parish I belong to has about 2000 people and in local scale it's absolutely miniscule rural parish. Non-participation is the norm. We have seven paid employees, we're not a community as much as a literally tax-paid service provider.

But we'll do what we can and may God help us to reach out for more people.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Edit: I should add, being holy doesn't mean you pray more often; it means you love God, your neighbor, and yourself more.

I'm not butting in to the conversation otherwise since Ceciltron asked Catholics to reply but this one made my theses nailing hand twitch a bit so I have to ask for a clarification. Do you mean that being a more loving person is a consequence of holiness or that you become holier by loving more? Or something else?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

this all seems in line with Lutheranism

Yeah, I agree. Thanks for the more elaborate answer, I figured that's roughly what you meant but since language isn't always the same on different sides of the fence, I thought it won't hurt to ask.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

I mean sure, I don't understand God as having a sex or gender at all, or at least not in our human sense. Jesus' physical body was male but there's really no mention of his sexuality in the New Testament and the traditional Christian understanding is he was celibate until his death. Personally I'm perfectly ok with Jesus portrayed as androgynous, asexual, or agendered because it's not relevant. Clearly it wasn't a big enough thing for him to speak to himself. Although, he did convince Origen to castrate himself:

Wow, that is a big difference in translation. In the Finnish translation there is nothing about eunuchs. The passage talks about those who are unfit (sounds harsher in English, our word doesn't assign blame) for marriage either from birth, are made so by other people or choose to stay unmarried for the Kingdom of God.

Obviously this covers eunuchs but monastics too, and, especially nowadays, quite a few wonder if this might be a rare reference to homosexuality.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Bel_Canto wrote well. I'll add that the reason for there being four gospels in the Bible is probably trustworthiness. For the first decades there were likely several different eyewitnesses of Jesus who told their stories and people started writing them down eventually. When it was time to decide on the Bible canon, four of those writings/collections survived the scrutiny and were included.

There's a metaphorical exercise where a group plays a match of, say, football and later the leader of a group asks four members of the group to tell what happened in the game. The point is that their stories will likely be mostly the same at least when it comes to major things like goals and fouls but different people will remember (or value) different things and some details might even be contradictory. All agree they're describing the same game though, so given the lack of a visual or auditory recording it's probably best to keep all four stories side by side and read them all.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

That's...disturbing.

You can't keep going without continues if Balrog beats you. And Bison cheats anyway.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

"I tried tapping that small icon but no app started up!"

"Try double-tapping."

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

System Metternich posted:

I don't remember if this was explained the last time this video came up, but what is happening here? Is there a strand of Evangelicalism where the ministers are throwing Holy Spirit bombs at the audience? Why is the one guy hitting people with his jacket? What is going on? :psyduck:

I don't actually know but in some circles fainting or falling down in the middle of a prayer is understood to potentially be a sign of the power of the Holy Spirit. I'm pretty sure that's a compilation of some more enthusiastic ministers trying their hardest to achieve that.

Such a belief tends to have every undesirable side effect you can likely imagine, though to be fair I know a few people who probably wouldn't be susceptible to suggestion yet have still fallen. :shrug:

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 17, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Maybe an explanation of the rosary is in order for all non-Catholics itt:

Wow, thanks. I had no idea what the Rosary meant, other than it's some beads and people hold it in their hands sometimes when praying. That's some serious time used for meditation. How long does it usually take to pray it?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Expanding on StashAugustine's tax collector trivia: if you were a tax collector for the Romans you were either part of the occupation machine or collaborating with it (which might be even worse depending on the point of view). This in itself might be viewed by some as a crime against the God's chosen people but it's not something Jesus seemed to mind at all. The worse thing is that yes, tax collectors were often almost legalized thieves. They had the protection of the Romans so you couldn't really touch them and get away with it and they told you how much taxes you had to pay. Because they themselves needed to live, they collected more than what they had to pay forward. Combined with the aforementioned immunity that's world's easiest get-rich-scheme. Want some cash? Tell people they need to pay more and keep the extra.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Man Whore posted:

Has he even sought repentance or forgiveness?

Now I'm a layman in every sense of the word but I always assumed forgiveness was not given freely but that one had to seek it out through a genuine desire for it and a guilt at past sins. I always found the most heartwarming display of faith to be forgiveness and not repentance personally because we all have done things to wrong someone that we regret but how many of us have the strength to truly forgive someone who has destroyed something we hold dear and welcome back with open arms someone who burned all their bridges with us?

I don't think I do.

:protestantsay: side remark, if it's allowed: Forgiveness is 100% free and actually already earned for everyone but it's not forced on those who don't want it.

Basically the same thing you said but as a person who often struggles with feelings of inadequateness and outright guilt I find the phrasing important. Asking for forgiveness is hard when you (rightly) feel you don't deserve it.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

JcDent posted:

You had him at "lube"

E: Pretty sure that it wasn't me who called you a swamp scandinavian. The only swamp-somethings are the swamp mongols north of Estonia

I'd shank you but I have my leg stuck in my backyard bog.

e: and getting help would require social contact, sober

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

I hate to be that guy but there must be one whenever a joke is told.

:confused:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The problem is that LGBTQ people have heard "love the sinner, hate the sin" too often, and somehow in action it always translates into "be unkind or actively cruel to the sinner". There's a whole lot of "We love you, but..." out there, and as we all know, anything that follows the "but" in sentences is apt to contradict the lead-in.

"I think homosexuality is a sin, but I respect LGBTQ people" -- does that translate into "I don't want my kids to know that sometimes kids have two mothers", or "it's too early to tell kids about that", or "I don't care what you say, you aren't really a woman"? Then yeah, it's bigotry. It doesn't matter one bit that you're "a kind and loving person", any more than it matters if you're "not a racist". The question is, are you doing cruel and unloving things? Are you standing by while other people do them?

Quoting Ms. Marvel, "Good is not a thing you are. It's a thing you do."

Thanks for this post. I was wondering why "love the sinner, hate the sin" would be bad since it seems to be a very good guideline. In fact I often teach teens about love and morals a bit like that but in a different language obviously, so we don't have the attitude as a common phrase. I suspected there's something I don't understand from behind the cultural/language barrier.

People suck.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Not even the experts know the origin of my name even though it's at least a few hundred years old.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Finland's (and consequently Europe's) biggest Christian youth festival is at full steam again. Yesterday's evening mass featured a large youth orchestra playing and singing Baba Yetu during the passing of collection plates buckets.

:toot:

e: The priest specifically thanked them for it before the formal send-off of the congregation at the end.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 19, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Okay then, just as a quick thing, but how do you deal with people who do not have Faith. Capitialised here to mean faith in any sort of direct divinity. A personal God/salvation thingamajig.

Second of all, is it just me or does C.S. Lewis come across as a bit of an arse in a some of his works?

Thirdly, "Job" and the big problem within that, the problem of evil and the problem of a divinity that is partially malevolent?

Sorry I know these are somewhat short but I don't want to start blithering about "heres what I think about this :downs:" without getting other peoples ideas.

I like Deteriorata's and Lutha Mahtin's replies to 1 & 3. I'd just like to add that according to some literary research, the Book of Job has lot of markings of a... err, legend, for the lack of a better word (the concepts of historicity and even truth were different back then). Regardless of it "actually happening" or not, it has trappings of a dramatically enhanced story. I'd file it among the other wisdom literature in the Bible and approach it that way.

About C.S. Lewis, apparently many people in this thread have dim views of different degrees of him and his writings so before any more people line up to tell them, let me just say that there's at least one person who likes his writing a lot. While he was clearly a man of his time, regarding his values, he doesn't pretend to be anything else and in my opinion it is unfair to read malice or the like into his writings.Screwtape Letters is one of the best books I've ever read. Do note that besides Narnia, I've read only four (translated) books of his.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Not an actual historian but I'd say evangelising. Judaism doesn't really do that, Christianity has it built-in. Also God's guidance.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Can you explain how Christianity has evangelizing built in?

Others explained it already but in case you don't wish to google the terms, both Matthew and Mark end their gospels with Jesus, as a last thing he says before ascending to Heaven, ordering the disciples to the ends of the earth and baptize and teach until all creation knows of the salvation he's earned. He also promises to accompany them until the end of the world.

That is just the biggest and most important part, though. Much of the New Testament sets an example for evangelizing and encourages it.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 30, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

This is a poor metaphor, not meant for deep analysis or anything, but it's a simple one that loiters sort of in the same neighbourhood as proper replies:

Say I have a dog. I do all kinds of stuff with my dog and I do all kinds of stuff for my dog. The dog sees some of what I do and since it's not dumb it probably understands lot of my intentions and attitudes right. Because it's dog, however, it cannot possibly comprehend stuff like vaccines, me leaving him home while I work for 8 hours or my reasoning for discipline training.

Now, relationship between me and my imaginary dog is fairly certainly nothing like the relationship between God and mankind but in both relationships one is able to comprehend and see and experience things the other cannot even begin to imagine.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

again, the reason you have this problem in the first place is because you yourself have decided that it is axiomatic the text describes God acting "like an arsehole". in reality this is not axiomatic, but is in fact simply your interpretation of, and/or projection onto the text. multiple people have been telling you this for pages now, so im not sure what else there is to be said really

I don't know, I think it's okay if we're talking about what he gets out of the Book of Job. If he feels strongly that Job describes God as malicious to some degree, it's a starting point for a discussion. Not sure if that discussion goes anywhere but as long as people are listening to each other there's potential for understanding even if you can't feel or understand how the others see the issue right away.

I can't get over the idea that according to Mark the disciples were huge idiots because it's an interpretation that speaks to me and makes me feel better about myself. I'm sure someone wiser than me has a better or more nuanced explanation for their bumbling about but I'm not sure if I'd really get that explanation over mine unless given time.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

And my point is, that is what Job is all about. You may not like it, but that's the book of Job's perspective.

The solution to The Problem of Evil is that there is no solution. It's not something we are capable of understanding, so deal with it. Our only option is to trust God that it will all work out in the end.

I like a lot (a lot!) how one preacher I heard as a teenager first framed the problem of evil and then, paraphrasing, told the listeners that it's fine and good to be interested in theory and dogma but the real question you should be asking is "what am I going to do about it?". That's the best solution I've heard. Go on and do something about that evil that obviously is a huge problem! Don't stay in the sidelines, be a part of the solution!

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Yes, but if you were to beat the dog based on it's actions when you trained it then it is your fault that the dog is like that. It's a perspective certainly, but I am unsure as to how much it can be considered. There is a difference between something that does no active harm and something that does good and something that seems to have no good part of it. You come back to the dog at the end of the 8 hours. God does not come back.

Despite my double-disclaimer you read too much into that metaphor. :) It was only for elaborating (insufficently) that there are sentient beings that cannot comprehend other sentient beings and that's a part of their nature. Human/God is one such relationship. We can't study God and if he's to reveal something about himself to us, it must be in a way we can comprehend it.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 30, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

pidan posted:

There are some protestant groups who claim that 100% of their religious views come straight from the bible (sola scriptura)

That's not what sola scriptura means. :colbert:

All it means is that in case of a conflict, the Bible wins - that there can't be no authority higher than it or equal to it in religious matters.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Christianity Thread II: the shortest Bible verse is about my posting??

drat.

I was confused for a while since in Finnish the shortest is "Don't kill." You're not that bad a poster. :D

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Is there anything that all Christian sects, or the larger ones lets say, believe is an evil?

Depends on the definition of evil but the ten commandments are at least a solid basis for what is and isn't wrong. One could assume that deliberately doing things that you know to be wrong and could avoid doing is evil. I strongly dislike the use of the word evil when talking about other people, though. In a world ridden with sin, weakness in the face of moral choices is pretty much the norm so labeling "evil" on people and deeds often assumes more than one can possibly know. And can be kinda evil in itself.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

did you really just say this, itt, to a goon with a reformation superhero avatar

and i apologize for saying this bluntly, but i really don't see much exegesis in your analysis of those four verses. to me it appears you have taken them out of the context of their larger story. and it appears that you have taken them out of the context of the time period and culture from which they arose. and it appears you have taken them out of the context of the author. and it appears you have taken them out of the context of the literary style in which they were written. and it appears you have taken them out of the context of a passage which is wall-to-wall symbolism and riddles

if you want to say "yeah, well, that's just, like, my opinion, man" sure. great. go ahead. but if that opinion is "it's fine and correct to cut out a few verses from the gospel that is just crammed to the gills with symbolism and claim that those verses clearly refer to this issue that i struggle with in my personal life", i'm not sure if i'd call that exegesis. i don't know what i would call it instead of that, but i would definitely say that you should take care not to become like the guy who melted down on the silent hill fan wiki and edited everything to say that the symbolism of silent hill 4 is one big critique about the psychological horrors of circumcision

I may have to apologise, too, but you've not exactly shown anything to counter his interpretation. I'm not taking sides but with that tone you should really offer something else than "I disagree".

For what it's worth (and I do think the Finnish Bible translation is very good), it seems apparent that while Jesus doesn't actually condemn the woman sleeping around with men (since it seems his point is just to show that he knows about the woman's life), that's exactly what he refers to. The words "living with" appear in the newest translation and the older ones, who are more word-centric instead of meaning-centric talk about "having a husband who is not your husband".

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

The Phlegmatist posted:

could you please stop reading The Shack?

I'd like to hear people's opinions on that book. A friend loaned it to me last spring and while I was skeptical, I found the story really good in giving food for thought. As long as I believed the author and went in with the attitude that everything in the book is fiction, including the theology, I enjoyed it. A unique book among my library of books I've read. Normally even religious fictions take their theology really seriously and have a teaching tone in them. This one didn't, for me, but I'm sure many people quote it as nearly dogmatic.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Bel_Canto posted:

I'm not terribly fond of it, precisely because, as you said, the theology is pure fiction. Granted, I'm also deeply uncomfortable with anything other than an allegorical depiction of God the Father, no matter how progressive it might be. I guess there's nothing particularly wrong with people reading it just for pleasure, though I don't think it's particularly well-written either, but I think that reading it in the context of Christian theology is a severe mistake. I never felt like it grappled with the problems of evil and death in a serious way; it shares the too-common fault of Christian fiction of attempting to resolve all of its reader's doubts instead of accompanying them in uncertainty and affirming that nobody needs to have the answers to find holiness.

I have to agree with everything you said, except one. I've never read a non-allegorical depiction of Father so the novelty of it was one of the major courses in the thought-meal.

Weird, I agree with all the faults yet I still liked reading it. :D

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

WerrWaaa posted:

Everyone finish this sentence.

One time at Christian camp we had such a great music class that it ended up spawning a band/music group that recorded three cds worth of original songs and played at most to 2500ish people. To my knowledge about a quarter of those people still either have a career in music or at least play/sing in concerts to this day.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

my dad posted:

What's church camp?

What is it, actually? I mean, I know what it is here in Finland and I have some idea about American evangelical camps mostly through horror stories but do share.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

How big are your camps?

I mean, a camp of multiple weeks is already something that goes WAY beyond normal around here. Roughly a week seems to be the norm, maybe 12 days if it's a confirmation school camp by a non-parish organization. Younger kids might stay for a couple of nights in their camps. Outside summer vacations you obviously can't camp for longer than a weekend no matter the age. The church regulations heavily recommend one employee per 10 underage kids so costs shoot up fast if you go for too big or too long. I guess more populous parishes might even have 100 strong camps if they have a good place for it but 20-50 participants seems more normal to me.

Sex and drugs sounds completely alien. I might be a bit naive but I've yet to come across a camp where such thing would even be possible on the regular. Sure, some clever couple might manage to get some private time on some rare camp but supervision is normally really strict due to safety regulations. (Not specifically in order to prevent them from doing anything forbidden, just to keep them accounted for.) Even cigarettes usually get you caught so it's hard to imagine drugs would pass unnoticed easily. Other than that, it seems the activities aren't too different.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 18, 2016

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

having a conversation

:finland:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, I meant to ask but forgot: what is bad in intinction? Why couldn't you mix the bread and wine before your mouth, theologically? It's not a very rare practice. Tossing out used disposable cups is nothing special either, since the belief in real presence that us Lutherans have means that while Jesus is truly and secretly present in the bread and wine during the communion, they don't actually change so after the communion is received, it's (again) just bread and wine. Yeah, you handle it with reverence and respect but sure, you can reuse them if there are lot of leftovers and using the aforementioned disposable cups isn't any way more problematic than washing the fancy goblets.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

:allears:

I venerate this thread.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Cats are overrated compared to the crippling lack of pig(let)s. Why aren't there more snouts and oinks outside congregational houses? All the rural parishes, please remedy this immediately.

e: You Darklands enthusiasts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803613

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

syscall girl posted:

I don't understand it but all of the Muslims I know are not insane murderers. Guess I'm just lucky that way.

Well, every muslim I know is an insane murderer. :shrug:

I don't know any.

e: Oh wait, the local ethnic pizzeria guy is probably at least culturally muslim. And he bakes really good pizzas so he can't be bad. I was wrong.

• Locked thread