Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I'm not a believer anymore but, I was raised as a Christian Scientist. So, if anyone has any questions about that particular branch, feel free to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

I recently went to a party of a family of Christian Scientists. We had a long discussion about theology and church structure, as a former Catholic it was fascinating, but also incredibly strange. The notion of the idea that the miracles of Jesus were actually a "science" is certainly out there. What do you think about their reluctance to trust doctors?

I think it's a bad idea. I mean, sure, the human mind can influence the body in ways we don't always realize. No amount of perfect understanding, though, makes a tumor go away. That's really only a big thing with the more devout ones. My mom wouldn't take me to the doctor for anything minor but, if I had a fever of 103 and I was vomiting, yeah we'd gof to the doctor.

I think the whole idea behind the sect was to take some of the beliefs of primitive Christianity and, reframe them in scientific terms. What I obviously didn't realize as a kid was the beliefs are actually kind of Matrixy. The idea that physical world is an illusion and, when you know the truth, you can accomplish anything.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Matrix (especially the first movie) is almost explicitly Gnostic -- the material world is a prison and its very existence is the result of a horrifying cosmic error that separated the divine spark in man from its source. (And Christ / Neo's purpose is to come into the material world and retrieve it, not through faith so much as by knowledge -- hence the emphasis on knowing the truth.)

As I've read more about Gnostic Christianity, I've realized that Christian Science borrowed alot of it's ideas. The major difference being that instead of an evil god creating the physical world as a prison, it's an illusion created by an error in our understanding of our true relationship with God. Christian Science is big on the concept of error.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Tias posted:

May I present you with this trophy to commemorate the dumbest opinion ever uttered on actors:

Seriously, Mads Mikkelsen does decent with Danish humor bits, but he is lovely at everything else :(

I thought he was pretty good in Flame and Citron.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Senju Kannon posted:

immanuel kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable
heidegger heidegger was a boozy beggar who could drink you under the table

And Renes Descartes was a drunken fart
"I drink, therefore I am."

• Locked thread