Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

e: among influential figures in Christian history, I can't think of anyone goonier than Martin Luther. He's this thread's spirit animal.
thomas aquinas was a massive :btroll: doe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My old chaplain HATES when people say Aquinas was super heavy. He's convinced it's some kind of anti-Catholic rumor that stuck.
what does he have against fat philosophers? that says more about him than it does about good old thomas A who (I hope) was comfortable with himself whatever he looked like

god also came for the hamplanets

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Man Whore posted:

Ohio unfortunately. There is a joke somewhere about the only southern baptists in the thread being from what is considered to be two of the shittiest states.
do you think you'd want to do...whatever Evangelicals do when they go to church...with Cythreal over the internet? He's been having a lot of problems finding a church with people his own age in it, who aren't a hellscape of rightwingers

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
he and luther are eating cheetos and discussing theology (and the proper robe / professor cap choices for gentlemen of gravity) in a better place, now

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
augustine and his girlfriend lived a loving relationship together, he was not a creep

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

pray for me everyone, i applied for a really really good job at a lutheran church
on it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i hope they include his sword, his daily loadout was fukken sick

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i am pretty sure i saw a picture of his sword in one of those huge museum exhibit books like...years ago

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
2017 hell, my friends and i are all extremely hype for 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

I have never any good Lithuanian erotic
do lithuanians even have sex? we just don't know

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mo Tzu posted:

That's not a completely tasteless thing to do
for maximum tasteless he should have gone with ISIS, it would have explained the white-as-hell part

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

Today the pope, in keeping with his pattern on queer issues, doesn't budge on doctrine but really would like pastors to stop treating trans people and gays like poo poo.. Notable mainly for a pope publicly and unhesitatingly giving a particular trans man the basic dignity of being spoken of as a man, over which, as expected, the internet is already losing its poo poo.
:toot:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
there is such a thing as cultural catholicism, like that hispanic guy from texas with the muppet avatar who doesn't really believe in god either

Empress Theonora posted:

A feeling, when reading history (e.g. HEY GAL's 30YW posts), that the Catholics are my people in a way the Protestants aren't?
snort
although the guys i study, as far as i can tell, are a mixed regiment. which is nice for them.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 3, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
http://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/religious-tradition/catholic/#beliefs-and-practices

a bunch of people who call themselves catholics do not believe in god, because it's a way of life, not just a set of beliefs.
if cythreal decided tomorrow that there was no god, he'd still think like a protestant. it is ingrained in him. because that's a way of life too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
listen to it every time me and Cythreal not just disagree about a thing but completely talk past each other. both of us can be the whitest of the white, but what goes on inside our heads when we think about religion and how it should work is very different.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this is a huuuuuge problem in the orthodox church in the us because there are so few of us that the ex-protestants who don't stop thinking like protestants (usually very conservative evangelicals or calvinists) can have an outsize effect.
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Josiah_Trenham

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WerrWaaa posted:

What do we know about this guy other than a strictly chronological account of his life? He is in my neck of the woods. REC and PCA ordinations screams crazy pants to me. Someone recommended ancient faith radio to me and I can't for the life of me remember who it was. I feel like it had to be someone in the ACNA.
ancient faith radio has many contributors, you are thinking of patristic nectar publications, which fr. josiah puts out.

http://patristicnectar.org/store_lectures_homilies.html
ctrl+f "feminism," "good wife," "good husband," "marriage," and "love's thief" for examples of his thought. it's all from the denomination he left.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

AmyL posted:

I'm surprised you didn't put Frank Schaffer up there
the problem with famous people who convert to orthodoxy is they immediately start writing about orthodoxy

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

AmyL posted:

Then they tend to shift certain goal-posts and then self-destruct
i don't consider being real liberal to be self-destruction

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Paramemetic posted:

Catholic thought literally predates atheism ...
if you count atheist greeks and hindus, incorrect

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hello to friends of many religions
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lebanon-mary-shrine-catholic-muslims_us_5745edfde4b0dacf7ad3bc85?utm_hp_ref=interfaith

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

I'm a fan of the Cathars. The Catholic Church could do with more feminism.
too bad that's not the place to find it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

But at least, like HEY GAL said, we have big enough numbers that an rear end in a top hat convert isn't going to be made a bishop...
yeah we're 0.5% of the us population

i bet they have much fewer problems with this in ethiopia or romania or something

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

ahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahaha

ahahahahahahahahaha
is this where you're going to post about serbian orthodox who go to america and come back bigoted douchebags

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

That's a thing I miss from Protestantism, fire and brimstone angry preaching

that and the phrase "on fire for the Lord"
yeah, the catholodox don't know poo poo about oratory right now, although i've attended some good catholic homilies none of them have been good in the way that'd really get you het up. one catholic priest explicated some aristotle for us once, that was fun

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zonohedron posted:

Oh hey, that reminds me. There's a song my preschooler likes on the Christian radio station where the singer says he knows God is active because he sees people "standing on the truth". What does that mean in liturgi-speak? :v:
i believe it means that they have faith, for example here:
http://www.kathyhoward.org/6-steps-for-standing-firm-on-gods-truth-when-everything-around-you-is-shaking/

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

Welp, Archbishop Welby of Canterbury just made my day:
what does he have to say on the pope vs patriarch bartholomew

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
nah you can still emergency baptize

edit: and i may be pulling this out of my rear end, but i seem to remember someone baptizing with sand when water was not available

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mo Tzu posted:

i don't know, man, religious education isn't exactly strong in this country. i'm pretty sure atheists know more about catholicism than catholics on average (according to one study whose methodology i never investigated because i don't really care)
especially since catholicism (and orthodoxy) is a "big" denomination that most people are born into--in the US as part of their ethnic identity--and fewer join as free choice. Lots of taking things as read and just going along with things in denominations like that.

i am almost certain this is also the reason that whenever you poll Catholics or Orthodox about their political views you get something very close to the US average--because the people in them are average. It's not like hyper-calvinists on the one side or new-age on the other, where you get people making the conscious choice to seek out and join a religious group in part because the people already there agree with them on a bunch of things

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zonohedron posted:

One of HEY GAL's mercenaries went to a Lutheran service and didn't know it wasn't a Catholic Mass until partway through, so sure, lump him in with us!
which means it would have been in latin, incidentally

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mo Tzu posted:

I'm the girl listening to Mozart on public transit
the latest composer that is cool, after him modern music all sucks

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
correction: after him modern music all sucks until the dude who wrote woyczech (19-teens) and arvo part

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ceciltron posted:

For all of Mozart's Dies Irae's weight and intensity, Verdi's Dies Irae really showcases the sheer madness and terror that the day of wrath holds for the Earth. It's operatic, over the top, and perfect at doing what it does.
that's why it's bad, from beethoven to the 20th century music is just self-indulgent. you want something that's over the top without being eeeyuuuck? then lully or charpentier, deromanticism yourself and face to baroque

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

Whoa. Beethoven is modern to you?
harmony is emotionally indulgent and i hate it

i hate it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

*drives by HEY GAL'S motte and bailey blasting the 9th symphony on speaker*

my response is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUpfKCr-DEI

(note how the first thing is kettledrums, then trumpets and shawms? it's meant to evoke mounted military things--the kettledrums and trumpets/shawms is the cavalry equivalent of the infantry's drums and flutes, in the 17th c)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol if u think bach didn't get a big ol stiffy writin those organ fugues
fugues are good. harmony is not.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zonohedron posted:

Feast of St. Nicholas? Do we celebrate his feast on the same day?
nobody celebrates anything on the same day, we got different calendars

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zonohedron posted:

Sometimes Easter happens to fall on the same day! I didn't know if there were permanent 'coincidences' like that one :eng99:
that is because the algorithm you use and the algorithm we use are different, so different results with different calendars end up with the same day because the differences cancel out. with fixed feasts that won't happen

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WerrWaaa posted:

Where, when, and how is Christ present in the liturgy?

Christ is present throughout the liturgy, in spirit. So are angels, who celebrate with the priest. Christ is present symbolically in the liturgy; for instance, the priest symbolizes him (in fact, the entire universe is present symbolically in the liturgy, and that is manifest in the architecture of the church, Rodrigo Diaz has a link to an article about that). Christ is present mystically in the flesh in the liturgy, in Communion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

If you want to do it, I already run the ADTRW secret santa so it would be easy for me to run it
what's your policy on international stuff? me, metternich, jcdent, pidan, paladinus, my dad, etc

• Locked thread