Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I may actually change my mind about the, uh, :effort: OP if it gets lurkers to stop lurking and :justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
meh

come back with prosperity gospel

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Paladinus posted:

I keep getting videos from this channel in my youtube recommendations, and this one I thought was funny enough to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WI7opaMUI

The list of things Facebook thinks I am, judging by the stuff it regularly suggests to me: gay republican pro-putin atheist mra neo-nazi who wants to kill all muslims

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pellisworth posted:

so... Milo Yiannopoulos?

Welp.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Brennanite posted:

The idea of God being a magical ATM or a genie that grants wishes

That drat dog has a long reach it seems. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Nobody got the dog temple reference. :(

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tias posted:

Why would we? I don't know what a dog temple is, and you should tell me/us about it :allears:

I'm pretty sure you were reading the old thread when it was mentioned?

If I remember correctly, some missionaries ran into trouble because the locals saw religion as a sort of a contract, of the "I do a thing, deity does something in return" sort, and would temple-shop accordingly, resulting in many a frustrated missionary uttering "We lost another one to the dog temple"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Powered Descent posted:

:stare: Uh... what exactly is the deal with the "capriote" one...?

Completely unrelated to KKK.

A bit of a derail, but this reminds me of a series of minor incidents caused in US by a brand of Serbian candy. :v:

For almost a century now, there's been a brand of black licorice candy produced in Serbia (still fairly popular, too), called "Negro" after the Italian word for the black color (Italian was considered a 'fancy' language at the time the candy started being produced). The marketing for the candy was "the chimney sweeper for the throat" and the brand mascot was (and still is) a chimney sweeper. Now, chimney sweepers tend to get their faces dirty with the chimney ash, and, uh... Do I need to explain this further?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JcDent posted:

Slowly but surely all of MilHist thread will be dragged here.

Somewhere in Germany, Hegel checkmarks "Phase One"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
imstarvingbuthaveaccesstoweaponsism

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

It is, and it's one with no consolation prizes given.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mo Tzu posted:

If you weren't Eastern European I'd argue that point but as an armchair American Marxist I got nothing

Eh, argue away, now I'm curious about what you wanted to say.

my dad fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 25, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I mean, the majority of both sides of my family were communist partizans in Yugoslavia (well, the majority of those of them who were adult-ish at the time of WW2, that is) and the house I grew up in was awarded to the family on account of my great-aunt's Nazi-shooting skills, so I don't think I can see myself arguing against revolutions of that sort. :v:

I was mostly making a grim joke about the consequences revolutions tend to have for the losing side.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:five:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm an anti-clerical Orthodox Christian, and I don't ever shut the gently caress up in these threads. :v: Ritual-curious atheists are absolutely required to post here to balance my heretical influence out.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Why, whyyyyy do so many Paradox games players believe that the mechanics of Paradox games are how the world actually works?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

i bet they have much fewer problems with this in ethiopia or romania or something

ahahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahaha

ahahahahahahahahaha

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
He's not being ironic, by the way.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Might as well repost this for the new thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE1FzSC8DBs

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

what's your policy on international stuff? me, metternich, jcdent, pidan, paladinus, my dad, etc

I am in no position to be a secret santa to anyone, so count me out.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

First of all there's no such thing as a bronie slav, how dare you

I'm trying to find that Russian MLP LARP parody of an Orthodox religious procession that got posted in some thread on SA a few years ago, but I can't seem to hit the right the right keywords on google. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If you want to get really depressed about Christianity as cover for fraud, abuse, and brainwashing, read this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659026

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
pidan, you might be mixing up self-esteem with the kind of "more ego boosts for me, gently caress you" mentality described. I mean, "love thy neighbor as yourself" is kind of empty if you don't love yourself. And that kind of love for yourself is not what the example given is about.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

mornhaven posted:

Does it really count as defenestration if they jump?

defenestration transcends reality

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6u3zon_V-4

:shepicide:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, he liked the stand very much.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Tias, what evil pagan rituals have you been up to recently?

Facebook has been spamming me with suggestions that I might be interested in attending Midgardsblot. Am I going to have to check my house 13 square meter living space for vikings looking for a sacrifice or something? :v:

my dad fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 1, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tias posted:

No such thing, I'm afraid. The next blot is Vinterblot in the middle of December. I have been praying that you all are well, though, so maybe getting crunk on mjód and praising the old gods is just in G-rocks plan for you?

Huh. After some googling, turns out it's just a metal festival in Norway. Oops, sorry for the false alarm.

It's not like I can afford to travel anywhere, anyway. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Regarding US foreign policy, my general take is 'gently caress you, Americans, gently caress every single last one of you, regardless of class, color, religion, sex, or race, do you have any loving idea how horribly you've been collectively loving over the world!?' but this election result is most cruelly punishing the people who contributed to this the least.

I made a couple of posts in the election thread telling people not to kill themselves over this election, and that this isn't the end of the world. I threw out every immediate "don't" reason to maybe hopefully kick some of the "should I kill myself" people out of despair, just long enough for them to think despair instead of feel despair.

That having been said, gently caress unjustified optimism.

You know the opium of the people quote, right? "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Let faith stop you from sinking, but don't let it comfort you so much that you don't try to struggle. Take a drat deep long look at what's around you. How you are going to suffer because of this. How many good people are going to suffer soon, and most importantly, why. Don't wishy washy it away. Make yourself see the racism that drove what happened, and the sum of petty FYGM selfishness that drove it, and the collapsing system that drove it. Realize that people doing this aren't just leaves in the wind, they're adult human beings fully capable of choosing what to do. Ask yourself, what could have been done to change what happened. Not now, during the vote. I mean, in all the years preceding it. What did you turn a blind eye on, what did you just think would go away if you hope it would? Don't just go "God will make it all work out somehow" - If God was going to make it all work out somehow, we'd be in Heaven.

That having been said, once you've taken that deep long look, maybe consider the rest of the world for a second, as well. :v: I'm going to venture a guess that people who have the most right to be angry about the results of this election didn't have the right to vote in it, and that people aware of them are the only voice they'll ever get where you guys are.

my dad fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 9, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

augh you make my eyelid twitch j/k i still love u friend, and love is important in these times

which eyelid, this is important

:hfive: + :sympathy: + :toot: + :stare:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

pidan posted:

I've been following US election news a bit over the past year, and what really disturbed me is the extremely negative view that each party's fans have of each other. I think my country is going in a similar direction, and that's pretty bad. The US will survive four years of Trump, but it's not a good sign that half the population seems to hate the other half.
Love your neighbors even if they vote Trump, is what I'm saying.

The issue here is that the neighbors are going to start showing up with burning crosses at some people's lawns.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I suppose if that were to happen to you, you would "turn the other cheek"?

Well, for one, I'm not black and not in US, so... :v:

But if you're asking about me personally, I tend to back down waaaay too much when faced with poo poo directed directly at me, and go berserk when I see friends facing dumb bullshit. And you are looking for a way to accuse me of being a false Christian because I quoted Marx a few posts above, and phrasing it in a way that doesn't require you to say it out loud. Which reminds me, what else was something that a lot of people thought but nobody was really saying out loud?

pidan posted:

That's exactly the kind of hyperbole I'm talking about. I know the Klu Klux Klan has endorsed Trump, but they have about 5000 members, and thus can't make up more than like 0.001% of Trump supporters. And well, people this extreme were going to commit hate crimes Trump or no Trump.

I am just going to put forward that there is a subtle difference between "hates" and "would murder if getting away with it is possible" which I almost ended up experiencing on my own skin (the consequences aren't very subtle), and there's gonna be a lot of "getting away with it is possible" with Donald Trump running the US.

my dad fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 9, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Smoking Crow posted:

What problems will arguing on the internet solve

it beats de facto telling people to shut up when they're opening up their heart about the bad things they face

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

KataMary DaMercy.

:drat:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:yikes:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
100% Slavic name with a meaning.

Surname is the result of an archangel's name being jumbled through alphabets and languages.

Translated, it would sound like a bad fanfic OC.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lutha Mahtin posted:

and you joke about protestants being heretics :rolleye:

That's her profession talking. 30 Years War era HRE-ites couldn't scratch their rear end without consulting an astrologist. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Paladinus posted:

If Kepler jumped off a bridge, would you, too?

No, but if Wallenstein had, she probably would.

e: ^^^^^^ :cripes:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, cool, I didn't know Krsnik and Kudlak were known in Japan beyond Trinity Blood.

• Locked thread