Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Mo Tzu posted:

hey guys, i just found out an old friend of mine from freshman year has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, and his prognosis is two years. if you guys could pray for him i would greatly appreciate it.

Will pray. The little girl with kidney cancer I asked for prayers for last year is just about to finish her final month of treatment :yayclod: Many thanks to all who prayed!

Unrelated:

http://twitter.com/ArchbishopBlase/status/798505110636822528/photo/1

Cupich looks like a cardboard cutout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

System Metternich posted:

The Patriarchate of Alexandria just restored the female diaconate! (link in Greek)
e: in a comment section discussing this I was also referred to some remnants of the female diaconate that possibly, maybe have survived in the Carthusian order?

Wait till you hear about Abbesses like St. Hildegard von Bingen, using the miter and crozier and having jurisdiction over men!

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Thirteen Orphans posted:

There is no (recognized) Saint of my name. :shrug:

:smith::hf::smith:

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Blurred posted:

As I understand it, it's not possible to discuss the morality of abortion in this thread, but what do you make of the pope's comments today? What effect do you think it will have in practice?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/21/502852325/pope-francis-grants-all-priests-the-ability-to-forgive-abortions

Faculties for the SSPX extended indefinitely :toot:

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Lamentations is underrated imo

Quote this if you agree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeETpwQGRT8

Thread has been knocking it out of the park lately.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Tias posted:

my favorite headcanon reaching wide audiences was when Mel Gibson bald-facedly claimed The Passion of the Christ was "a reasonably accurate account of what happened in the last days of Jesus", and then it turned out of to have been more or less cribbed from a pamphlet a syphilitic nun had written in her loving fever dreams.

E: Wasn't syphilis, sorry, she was told eat morning glory by a "small child that appeared to her", presumably tripping her rear end off on the LSA content.

Double posting, but the best part about this is that her visions were written down and edited by her confessor, who was later revealed to be a freemason. That really messes with the ultra rad trads.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

zonohedron posted:

These are the visions where Christ supposedly told the disciples how to make chrism during the dinner conversation, right? Or am I remembering a different bizarre visionary?

In non-visionary but also weird news: Apparently measuring instruments malfunction around the Holy Sepulcher.

They all fall into the same category in my mind. If I haven't finished going through Public Revelation and the commentaries on it, why would I be interested in Private Revelation?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

IIRC (sorry, migraine today, brain fried) when they made her a Saint they also said some of the private revelations don't count?

Emmerich was canonized? :dawkins101:

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

bavarians hate prussians
everyone else hates bavarians
everyone also hates saxony, but for different reasons

also
if you consume fake news you are eating poo poo-the pope -the guardian

Speaking as a traditionalist, this is awesome.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

Kinists. Did you know that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. denied the divinity of Christ and was actually a secret communist? *insert five hundred words in favor of ethnocentricism here* and therefore I must conclude that the real racists are black people.

Reading up on kinism on wikipedia I discovered that /pol/ is considered a white nationalist group.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Mo Tzu posted:

so supposedly there's a new document on priests, approved by francis, that is damaging to gay priests. anyone here read it and willing to share the tea with the class?

Found it: http://www.clerus.va/content/dam/clerus/Ratio%20Fundamentalis/The%20Gift%20of%20the%20Priestly%20Vocation.pdf

Reading it now.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Mo Tzu posted:

I was about to but then I saw 90 pages and I just have better things to do today than that

Don't worry, I'm from the internet.

So far it says nothing new, except regard for "mature vocations". I giggle at that because I am literally 12.

Edit: Look out goons, it commands priests to go out and evangelize the "digital peripheries"

Worthleast fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 8, 2016

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Mo Tzu posted:

I was about to but then I saw 90 pages and I just have better things to do today than that

Page 82. It's quotes from Benedict XVI and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Nothing new from Pope Francis.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

Or maybe it's the nostalgia trap again, I dunno.

It's this. Anything new is bad, unless it is exactly how we choose to remember the 1950s.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

my dad posted:

Very clearly defined "not a cool dude" and "very cool dude" stages in his life, since he used to be a bandit. :v:

Want that picture on my wall.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Uh his name is Francis, so obv not. hth.

Why, is the world ending? It's cold enough here that I welcome the cleansing of the world by fire.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

My cousin told me that once

The world was ending bc the Vatican only has so many places for the pope's hat, they only had enough for all the popes until Christ came back

Naw they added more circles in St. Paul's while Ben was still reigning.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

I miss Kyoon.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

but of course Catholics are bound by Canon Law and the horrors it creates.

Old Canon law is awesome. Because you know for every wacky case in there, there was a real case in history that happened, and the Church needed to discourage it from happening in the future.

Pellisworth posted:

many of the thread Catholics dislike V2 because it removed a lot of traditional liturgy and silly hats

Not many silly hats left. Bring them back and make them mandatory.

Except Birettas. Those can quietly die. No square hats on round heads please. Father, why do you have a different colored pom pom, this will only end in tears.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Merry Christmas Liturgigoons!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYnJOJRDTbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC1jJC3aBLQ

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

my dad posted:

This is the main catholic church in Novi Sad (everyone calls it "the cathedral" because of how it looks even though it's not actually the seat of a bishop)

That tower is pretty sweet.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

This is good advice though. Meridian you might want to look for someplace that does the Traditional Latin Mass eventually to experience it. Make sure it's either connected to a diocese or is part of the FSSP or the ICKSP because you get too far beyond that and you start finding places where they start throwing Protestants in the cookpot at the end of Mass (along with the customary Jesuit.)

Harumph. I haven't boiled a prot in weeks.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

jesuits, on the other hand...

Once the jesuit is placed into the crockpot, he undergoes substantial change to hotdish and ceases to be a jesuit. Therefore I have never boiled any jesuits.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

Yeah. I pay attention to alt-right Christian circles (warning: do not do this if you have high blood pressure, may be hazardous to health) and Voris has very little traction there. He's just not ecumenical enough, mostly, but also the alt-right likes to style themselves as enlightened thinkers of a new era and geocentricism is pretty strongly in "whoa, buddy are you serious" territory.

Maybe there's a den of alt-right Catholics I have yet to wander into that likes him. I don't know.

Voris the darling of the sedevacantists and closet trads, and something called "The Resistance". There's a lot of overlap with other groups like oathkeepers.

Stay away if you value anything. I can't stand the guy.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

i'll see you against the wall

I'm going to start saying goodbye like this.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Now I understand how Cythereal feels when we discuss liturgical stuff.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Requesting the Dog Temple story.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Mo Tzu posted:

there's a temple in taiwan based around a family that was murdered, and their dog kept jumping in their grave so the dog was buried alive with the family (because :effort: i guess). as is common in chinese civil religion, they eventually became to be understood as gods, with the daughter being said to have appeared during a bombing in wwii and caught bombs in her apron. now, the dog of this family is said to be especially responsive to prayers, and therefore the temple's reputation is focused around the dog. it's considered to be so effective at responding to prayers that not only do mobsters and sex workers go there at night, but people who are talking with missionaries eventually give up on christianity to go to the dog temple, prompting a missionary friend of my old buddhism professor to call him up and say "we lost another one to the dog temple"

a dog god is a good god because dogs love you no matter what

Something about this story pleases me so much. Thank you.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Shut up and look at this church.

Burgos cathedral is a good example of how a gothic cathedral fits in with the city. Its architecture makes you look up.

Now take that same basic awesome design, and build it with stone available locally.

Albi is built out of red bricks.

Clermont is near a volcano.

:black101:

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

Look up something like St. Louis de Montfort's total consecration to Jesus through Mary. Both Marian consecrants and Opus Dei members are encouraged to buy and wear a cilice, which is basically just a spiked chain that you wear to remind you who you're serving. Technically the scapular is a similar form of self mortification. So yeah there's a bunch of devotional practices for Catholics to remind them that God is in control and all your actions should serve Him.

Also you can still buy hair-shirts online I am serious. Somewhere out there a Catholic is wearing a hair-shirt.

Benedictines say "My brother is my hair-shirt". Putting up with the guy/gal next to you with cheerful charity is usually plenty penance.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I would frame it slightly differently: the truest form of ministry to oneself is the kind that allows for the greatest ministry to one's neighbor and worship of God.

As someone with a serious mental illness, I wish someone had taught me about the importance of self-care in Christian ministry. In my mentors' defense, nobody knew how bad it was.

"Love your neighbor as yourself" requires that you love and take care of yourself as well.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

quote:

“The last time a theological dispute among Christians was settled by brute force was in July 1913, when the Russian navy was deployed on Mount Athos and carried off to Russia more than eight hundred monks who had taken the wrong side, from the church hierarchy’s point of view, in an argument over the holiness of the names of God and Jesus.”

Ran across this quote this morning, and I would like to know more.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

Imiaslavie!

I actually wrote a whole paper on this in college for a History of Mathematics class since the movement was essentially headed by crazy Russian mathematician-mystics like Pavel Florensky.

That's fascinating. Thanks for the quick answer.

I love the idea of mathematician-mystics being carried away by the Russian Navy storming Mr. Athos.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

syscall girl posted:

It didn't have much to do with Christianity but listen to hardcore history about the golden horde

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-43-wrath-of-the-khans-i/

Skull piles for miles

In a later episode he gets into the letters back and forth between the Pope and the Khan which are pretty awesome.

Guyuk Khan to Pope Innocent IV posted:

If bearer of this petition reaches you with his own report, you, who are the great Pope, together with all the Princes, must come in person to serve us.

Through the power of God, all empires from the rising of the sun to its setting have been given to us and we own them. How could anyone achieve anything except by God’s order? Now, however, you must say with a sincere heart: “We shall be obedient, we, too, make our strength available. You personally, at the head of the Kings, you shall come, one and all, to pay homage to me and to serve me. Then we shall take note of your submission. If, however, you do not accept God’s order and act against our command, we shall know that you are our enemies.

This is what we make known to you. If you act against it, how then can we know what will happen? Only God knows.

And hello VoteTedJameson! Thanks for sharing your awesome story.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

so one of my friends now faces a dilemma of canonical status that's going to be relatively simple to resolve but is also delightful in its complexity. he was born the child of a Maronite Catholic father and a Latin Catholic mother. he was baptized in a Latin parish, while his younger brother was baptized and chrismated at a Maronite parish. the father later obtained a change of rite for himself, intending to study for the diaconate, but not for his sons. my friend later underwent confirmation in a Latin parish, still without a formal change of rite. my friend now intends to marry in roughly two years' time, and he's in the position of having been confirmed sacramentally but not canonically, since the Latin Church had no canonical authority to confirm him. so now he has to either seek a formal change of rite for himself or get to the nearest Maronite parish and get himself chrismated so that he can be eligible to marry as a Catholic (of whatever rite).

this is like a liturgigoon dream come true, it's so beautiful.

This is magnificent. Get the Exarch on the phone.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

VoteTedJameson posted:

I crack jokes about serious stuff cause I'm a giant babby who can't engage with topics of importance except through irony and sarcasm.

Relax. You're among friends here.

What is your opinion on silly hats?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

The Catholic bishops of Malta announced today that it is "humanly impossible" for some people to live without sex.

There are obviously no goons in Malta.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

As a person who frequents this thread can I just ask all of you guys to go and eat something. Like just go out and eat a pie, because if I start having to set up freaking meal plans and boxing up food packages to people I am going to be pissed.

Seriously though guys, do remember to eat. I don't think anything or anyone would want you to get shaky and stop thinking or collapse into the gap in a train station.

Christian fasting is not refusing to eat, but simply eating what you need, and not eating between meals. Think of it like dieting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Annual Prophet posted:

there have been changes in views and practices over time; personally i think of fasting in terms of the black fast, which, iirc, is still described in the catholic encyclopedia

drat, already taken.

• Locked thread