Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Josef bugman posted:

Okay I want to highlight "best possible way". I mean the whole "Messiah yells at tree" thing could be argued as a fun anecdote to prove His presence and fallibility as a human being who is also divine.

It is not 'a fun anecdote'. It's a very obvious parallel of seeking fruits of faith and charity among those who Jesus preached to, and finding none. Cf. also Matthew 25:34-46.

You can call it a performance art piece, I suppose, but it's not just Jesus literally getting mad a tree.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

pidan posted:

For our Nordics:

There's an ethnic group in Estonia who have their own little kingdom on the Russian border and apparently practice a mix of Orthodox Christianity and paganism. The article has cool photos, albeit sadly no funny hats.

The level of there syncretism barely exceeds the average across Eastern Europe, really.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That is anathema, Johann!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Constantinople can't tell proud Russians/Serbs/Romanians what to do! Who the hell do they think they are, a Pope? The true Orthodoxy is only alive in Russia/Serbia/Romania, thank you very much. Also, on Athos, I guess, but only when they agree with us.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 5, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

my dad posted:

Who shat in your cereal?

I was just (half-jokingly) trying to point out that saying that something is a heresy in the Orthodox church is a moot point. Technically, pelagianism, for example, is a condemned heresy, but apparently some churches and/or individual theologians openly teach something very close to it with no repercussions, because due to decentralised nature of the Orthodox church, there is nothing set in stone or at least enforceable across Orthodox oecumene. So when it comes to something related to ethnic church communities, there is no doubt that local synod decisions will be ignored by the majority of people.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GAL posted:

if it's meant to be somethng more than just a sick chandelier, horns back then don't just mean the devil, friend :laugh:

Is it... Is it the cuck meme?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://twitter.com/EnglishRussia1/status/806446892406231040

E: not related to the post above.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GAL posted:

looks like the street sword dude

which nationality has the gooniest orthodox priests, my money is on the russians

I don't know if there are official numbers, but from my experience, Russian Orthodox priests are definitely more, uhm, on the heavy side compared to other churches.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Josef bugman posted:

I saw this a few weeks ago and just found the music vid. Thought it might be a nice Christmassey tune in its own way, and hells I am always the depressive one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddQMYWf1STc

Will add responses to the questions asked in the thread soon.

At least it's better than the original.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Today the priest compared Jesus to a nuclear power plant. Because not many people have actually seen the real thing, but we still see the light produced by them everywhere. This reminded me of Fallout, but that's beyond the point.

May God's radioactive light shine upon you, thread people. Merry Christmas!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cythereal posted:

Question for Orthodox goons: I'm reading a history book that's partially about Russia, and there's been mention of at least a couple of foreign-born princesses who changed their names when they converted to Orthodoxy to marry into the Russian royal family. Is name changing on conversion a common thing in Orthodoxy, or is this just Russia being weird?

It's not necessary even in the Russian church, but it is customary in all Orthodox churches, from what I know, especially if the convert's name is not that of an Orthodox saint. One is expected to have a Christian name that can be used in church documents or when praying for them. In Russia, on top of russifying the name, one was also expected to pick a patronym (in general, not just in case of conversion). For example princess Alice became Great Duchess Alexandra Fyodorovna. Alexandra because it sounds similar to Alice, and Fyodorovna was a customary patronym among foreign women marrying into Romanovs, because of the connection to the Feodorovskaya icon of the Mother of God that is believed to have helped Mikhail Fyodorovich Romanov to become the Czar.

My own legal name is Polish, but when I was baptised as a child, my baptismal name was also that of an Orthodox saint with a similar sounding name.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Nice. Looking forward to Vatican conspiracy theories surrounding Trump presidency now that anti-Russian sentiment has made a comeback.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cythereal posted:

Can't think of any Biblical basis for it

You are so close to getting liturgical Christianity. So close...

But jokes aside, there is some Biblical basis to changing one's name upon conversion. Maybe a certain guy named Saul will ring a bell.

And as I said, no one is asking you to change your legal secular name, it's just for royalty having a name in the language of the people they're supposed to rule (or in Latin) was more often than not a thing. Hence Isabeau of Bavaria, for example, whose actual name was Elizabeth.

Regular people who convert be it to Orthodoxy or Catholicism are usually only referred to by their Christian name in church documents and rituals.

Also, remember that monks, patrarchs (and popes) have additional religious names that don't have to match with their baptismal/chrismation name.

It's cool to have many names, IMO.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Can you pick any verse at all? Can you get Numbers 2:6?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Also, about American politics in general, if possible.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Valiantman posted:

Well, every muslim I know is an insane murderer. :shrug:

I don't know any.

e: Oh wait, the local ethnic pizzeria guy is probably at least culturally muslim. And he bakes really good pizzas so he can't be bad. I was wrong.

Does he put pineapple on pizza? This is important.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I rarely eat breakfast, but not for religious reasons, but because I'm lazy and like to sleep in. I wish I could cheat myself into thinking that it's actually my offering to God, but my mind knows the truth, the bastard.

Josef bugman posted:

It is very late at night and I am more than likely not going to respond correctly so I am going to go to bed before answering, but I do have a question, more as a general one for the thread.

How on earth do you believe in... well anything? How can people be so sure.

Because it's extremely cool and good. But also correct.
People are very rarely so sure, though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Hey everyone, i just found Jesus not to long ago, and now have a guardian angel who pantomime's things for me. I was baptised catholic and recieved my first communion at a young age, but was godless ever since. Until recently, where a strange series of events has renewed my faith. I'm not too knowledgeable about the Bible and stuff, tbh.

I know that God doesn't really give a poo poo what I do, as long as I spread love, that is not my question.

My question is; how do I make my guardian angels powers stronger? Or is this possible at all? Does it speak of anything like this in the Bible, or any ancient text? I'm getting pretty good at communication with God, through dreams, praying, and my angel pantomiming to me. But I feel as if there is something I can do to give this divine being more power over me, or something. Like how you level up your Pokemon. Is that disrespectful to say?

Anyone?

Are you thinking about stands from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? They are not guardian angels, sorry.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I was thinking like, visiting the Vatican, reviving an almost dead 3rd world orphan, or going crusade style and pillaging from other religions. Is that kosher? Or was that the Devil who did that?

I know WWJD, and Jesus definitely wouldn't pillage. I like to look at it like, what DID Jesus do? he walked around, owned nothing, and spread love and wisdom. Also he got drunk once I think, so thank god that's still on the table.

Just trying to be a good Christian here

Jesus pillaged the hell out of hell.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

nooooooow were getting somewhere! gently caress bankers (jews?), and what was the deal with fig trees?

I mean jews are typically greedy as hell, so greedy that they wouldnt accept Jesus, because they wanted a Messiah who came and sucked their dicks, and Jesus was like, naw, I'm the loving Messiah, I ain't sucking poo poo. Greedy, selfish motherfuckers

You know who else was Jewish? Jeeeeeeeesus.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WerrWaaa posted:

Deeds of Jesus, psssh. What I want to know is: Deeds of God? Does God act in the world? How so? Does God respond to prayer? Sure doesn't seem like it! What's the function of prayer-- what, in other words, is God's foreign policy?

Jesus is actually God.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This is super Dutch.
But also in 500 years people will look at those by then antiquated habits with reverence, if Dominicans actually start using them.

Senju Kannon posted:

at least my avatar's better!

I disagree!

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 19, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
God answers every prayer.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just a funny non-political gif I thought I'd share.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Serious question: Why did he dunk the baby more than three times?

I imagine that for whatever reason full immersion wasn't an option (maybe there's some post-surgery scar on the baby's middle body), so the priest dunked the legs and the head three times each as a compromise.
Or maybe the priest thought it'd be funny to do.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Deteriorata posted:

In the original video it seems to be a constant thing with all the babies. Dunking the head three times I can understand, but I don't get why the feet. Maybe it's an alternative to full immersion specifically for babies? Beats me.

If it's a tradition, it's something local. My nephew was baptised with full immersion. And when I was baptised as an 8-year-old, I stood in a basin and the priest poured holy water on my head over another basin.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't fully agree with Wittgenstein's assessment that religion is a language-game, but there is definitely some truth to that. Imagine raising a child, while only teaching them one of the two languages you actively use around the house.

If both parents are religious, go to church every Sunday, have religious symbols in their house, pray together, etc., not teaching children faith would mean to exclude them from an enormous part of family life. And if parents do believe in God, teaching children in terms of agnosticism would be dishonest at best, in my opinion. Alternatively, if parents are not particularly religious, or only culturally so, religion can be a good free baby-sitter. :v:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

well if you're gonna split hairs like that, you'll need to define where good ends and evil begins, please. Otherwise your 'different kinds of good' theory doesn't work

there's only one kind of good. you may have heard of it before

its called "good"

or maybe there is no such thing as black and white, only grey.

Have you heard of 'cool'? Some things are not only good in conventional sense, but also cool. Their goodness and coolness, however, are actually just degrees and different representations of the ultimate goodness coming from God. Things are ungood when they lack in that goodness.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I remember reading a letter from a Kyivan post-schism monk to the Pope, where it was obvious the author either didn't know about the whole ordeal or didn't care. I think the letters were dated something like 1090-1100, but I can't remember the name of the monk. Something very Greek starting with F or Th, I'm pretty sure.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Here's one I don't understand; if God created man, then decided man should have someone to love, so God created women out of a rib, does that make men and women unequal? If women were only created to satisfy man?

It kinda goes with this virginity and sex talk. I personally believe God created all things equal. I am no less than the trees and the stars. And by that same logic I am as insignificant as a grain of sand, since we're equal.

I could see where someone could use that rib thing to justify inequality. Other major religions seem to treat women like poo poo (don't probate me please) though I am hardly educated on religions, so maybe I'm wrong? Enlighten me?

If humans were as insignificant to God as sand, Jesus wouldn't probably have died for them.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GAIL posted:

while that is cool, have you considered some of these fine representatives of Orthodoxy, who metaphorically punched actual real life nazis in their words and deeds:
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Alexander_Schmorell
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Maria_(Skobtsova)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiune_Sugihara
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Gorazd_(Pavlik)_of_Prague

Love the icon.
Hisssss leave me a lone lads.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Both Finnish and Japanese Orthodox churches are autonomous churches under the omophorion of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and of the Russian Orthodox Church respectively.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bel_Canto posted:

hey y'all i don't know if i've been forthright about this before, but I'm discerning whether i have a vocation to the society of jesus. i just talked about this in another forum tonight and was met with some derision (because lol faggots can't be priests) and so i'm talking about it here too because i'm pretty sure you'll all be a bit better about it

Good luck with finding your vocation! Would be pretty cool to have an actual Jesuit in the thread to be updated on the latest conspiracies. :v:

People tend to interpret the Instruction Concerning the Criteria for the Discernment of Vocations with regard to Persons with Homosexual Tendencies in view of their Admission to the Seminary and to Holy Orders as a blanket ban on all gay priests and monks alike for some reason, but most bishops are more sensible than that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

It's just hard for me to distinguish between worry and doubt when it comes to this thread.

People really do doubt that God speaks to you. This is what causes the worry part, actually.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

System Metternich posted:

Dunno what "The Mission" is, but funny that you should say "procession"!

The Syro-Malabar Catholic Church of St Mary in Kuravilangad. Our Indian chaplains never did anything like this :saddowns:

Love how the photo unfolds as you scroll down. Are those real elephants?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hello Sailor posted:

Based on the portions of the brain that show activity on scans, there probably isn't much difference between religious faith and mild schizophrenia.

Lol if you actually believe this.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
On the topic of people ignoring their parish because of their political views. While it is annoying when crazy Franco fans do this, what do you think about people who do this because their parish is too conservative? HEY GAL, I think, said, she wouldn't go to a Russian church, for example, which is somewhat understandable, if you have other options, I guess, but what should people in Poland or Russia do, where the majority of ecclesial communities are, well, not always progressive? I know people who now rarely go to church on Sundays, because, for example, the priest is somewhat heavy on family values, which often veers towards women being obligated to be mothers first, you know how it goes. It deeply saddens me, too, but it's really hard to discuss the issue without aggravating someone, which is the last thing you want when they already waver, so the usual arguments about church community and importance of sacraments may not work.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

What does 'Deaconess of the Missions' mean?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bel_Canto posted:

i will never get tired of white hetero dudes making themselves look ridiculous in front of the entire world by trying to mansplain christianity to the pope

Is it even mansplaining if it's toward another man? Here, like nowhere else, the word patronise would make much more sense, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In mine it changed from the forehead cross to just putting ashes on top of one's head several years ago.

• Locked thread