Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

bewbies posted:

So I have IF cards for all 3 of those guys, does that portend anything good/bad?

Also I think Lucas Torreira's 87 card is a good one especially for the price.

their prices will probably rise within like half a day of the TOTS being released because people will underestimate again how expensive the top tier tots players will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Serendipitaet posted:

After first posting here about two months ago, I had a pretty good time getting into FUT and building a Bundesliga squad with whatever I could afford. I breezed through divisions 10 to 7 and managed to sort of bumble through div 6 as well. Then I embarked on a massive losing streak of maybe 10-15 games in a row and have now dropped to div 7 again, where I’m currently 1-0-2. Strangely, I feel like going up players were getting better much more slowly than they are getting worse on the way down.

I feel okay about my scoring ability inside the box (abusing the low driven shot a bit) and in mid range using my strikers. However, with better opponents I struggle so much to get my strikers into place. Defensively, I just suck, but I’m working on that.

Here’s what I’m running now and below the setup I used in my initial "successful phase“. I set the strikers to ‚get in behind‘ and the fullbacks to ‚stay behind while attacking‘. I’d really appreciate any feedback on players, formation and tactics.

Current: https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/show-off?showoffId=kfaijTuanMDRp:FFA17PS4

Previous: https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/show-off?showoffId=fsT6TZnQnMDRk:FFA17PS4

Used to have Gomez in place of SIF Werner, but recently sold him for a decent profit. Have about 30k in coins lying around right now.

I would definitely, definitely switch to the 41212 (2) (the narrow version). I'd also look into finding a left footed striker to play on the left side alongside Auba, Dembele's OTW or IF (whichever is cheapest) on 7 chem at RF is a solid bet, he's a great player and 5star/5star so that's a big plus.

I'd pick up Keita (one of his informs if you can afford them) for one of your midfield slots, Castro was never particularly good for me, but there's plenty of great cheap versatile CMs in the league, Renato Sanchez, Junozovic, a bunch more.

Something like this maybe, a bit out of your pricerange still but you can roll with some other midfielder instead of Stindl: https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4783833

Also, if that Aubamayeng is tradeable I would absolutely sell him and use that money to build a much better team all around.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
You'd need to put a gun to my head to get me to play 5atb so no idea how the different formations stack up against each other.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Had a pretty good weekend again, even with the 8 gold limit, got to 28 wins.

I've turned my Ligue 1 squad into a loving monster along the way, I bought Griezmann before my last 5 games yesterday because I really wanted a left footed left striker, and he's been amazing for me so far, 7-0 with him on the team through the last 5 of the weekend league and today's tournament. He's been a bit harder to work into my main team, and I had to sell my pack pulled Tolisso and the mbappe I bought, but now I have this:

https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4459483

I don't have quite enough for Felipe Luis, so MOTM Alex Sandro is still there on 7 chem for now, but other than that everything is as-is and it gives me great pleasure to finally have one of those teams that makes people go "oh god damnit" when they see my team during loading.

Also, for those wondering, I've not noticed any sort of drop off in player performance as my team rating gets higher, at least not 'regularly'. Obviously I still have games where my players play like poo poo but it's down to the servers or whatever I'm sure. My team rating is 89 now, by far the highest I've ever had in any Fifa. In general, though, as my team has gotten better and higher rated, I've been doing better, and I'm on pace for elite 1 monthly this month which is a significant improvement.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Elliptical Dick posted:

God I hate this game sometimes. Went 7-1 I my first 8 games. loving great start, was getting hopeful for at least Elite 3. Then went 2-10. I wish I knew what I'm doing wrong here but I think I mostly just fail tactically against guys that close down space well

Just stop playing when you lose two in a row, or even after every loss. Take a break, do something else, play a different game, cook some dinner, etc.

Losing in this game is often infuriating and the more you lose the worse it gets, generally, because you get more and more mad.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I loving did it!

I got elite 3 this week, barely scraped by at the end but I made it, 29 wins.

This means I get two players from this team: http://www.futhead.com/17/totw/ea-tots/

Tradeable. Worst I can do is like 300k coins profit plus the 75k from the rewards and the 100k pack.

Also means I got elite 1 monthly which should be 20 red versions of TOTS players from the big 5 leagues. A crapshoot to be sure, but who knows. Thursday is gonna be cool.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Just wait until you get doubles of Kroos :v:

Can't get two of them in the same pack, so I'm safe.

But even that would be like 200k.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
When I pull ronaldo and messi and sell them both I'd spread the money around if it wasn't a huge pain in the rear end and wouldn't get everyone involved coin wiped or banned.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Yea I was half joking but you can still move coins if you're smart about it. I did it last year when price bands were awful and restrictive. Certain players wouldn't sell at their min and I had someone buy my IF Aubameyang for like 600k and then I gave him 100k afterwards. I forget the cards and the amount of coins involved precisely but unless you're blatantly obvious it's kinda easy to do smaller amounts.

They tag you for coin resets for anything that even smells like coin moving this year, lots of people got wrecked buying/selling bronzes for SBCs even though they were just trading at the current market price.

Some guy on reddit gave away a few million coins a few weeks ago (with a warning that it might get people reset or banned) and i think literally every single person got at least a reset.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So my rewards were pretty decent, I didn't hit any 'big' players but should still make about 6-700k from the tradeables and have a bunch of useful stuff in my monthlies:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So my squads have reached an absurd point now, very little I can do to meaningfully improve them, about the last thing I want is TOTS Lacazette to replace my SBC one but who knows if I'll come up with the 7-800k I need for him at this point.

Squad A: the Ligue 1/french thing https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4459483

Squad B: The BPL/Dembele thing https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4991579

French players are insanely good this year y'all.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

So the new premium sbcs require weekend league reward cards to complete. I think that's complete bullshit. Any sbc player should be available to a person with enough coins, forcing people to use cards from one specific mode of fut which requires way too much time sunk into to get cards useable in this sbc is ridiculous. I've never not qualified for wl when I wanted to but I've got only one gold reward card meaning I'll have to spend a poo poo ton more if I want to complete this

Slow down, it's weekend league rewards OR informs, it's just to give WL players a use for their red cards finally.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

Anyone tried SBC Totti yet? I've heard he's excellent.

I hear his stamina is still extremely low and that's a big issue.

Waroduce posted:

Do you guys still do the Parma pro club where you control one dude?

Also what sliders you guys use for manager franchise mode Or whatever? OS Community sliders?

There's some dudes that play pro clubs, but nobody plays franchise mode or single player basically at all.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
This was the first weekend I didn't play and it was pretty nice.

Weekend league has been a loving incredible addition but man is it stressful and annoying, I'm really interested in seeing what they do with it for 18.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Definitely not worth it. The packs they give you are trash and the loan players are like who cares.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

comparing cards that are in the game from the beginning to the end of game cycle best possible versions of players is Real Dumb and Bad.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Good idea on their part, I'm worried this stupid reveal event is gonna be like 90% jerking off about the new 'icons' and then like 5 minutes of talking about gameplay stuff with a promise of more to come at gamescom.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

bewbies posted:

Holding breath to see how Zidane circa '98 compares with legends like de Bruyne or Isco.

hopterque posted:

comparing cards that are in the game from the beginning to the end of game cycle best possible versions of players is Real Dumb and Bad.

jesus dude.

e: Woahhh SBCs on the web app holy poo poo.

e: A daily/weekly objectives system with rewards. Score with player from x league, etc.

: New game mode, sort of single player fut champs against squads pulled from the 'community', uses a points system, so I'm hoping they're switching the weekend league to a points system as well instead of just binary wins/losses. No specific stuff about changes to the fut champs format, we'll see at Gamescom in a couple weeks or whenever I guess.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 1, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TheBigAristotle posted:

Beta invites are out, starts 9am PST tomorrow

Its cool, like 1800 games this year I didn't want a beta invite anyway

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I've never gotten a fifa beta invite which is weird considering how much I play this stupid game, oh well.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

bewbies posted:

Will this be the year that something other than "pace" becomes prohibitively the most important player trait? If not, looking forward to in-form Theo Walcott being much more useful than Zinedine Zidane.

pace will always be the best stat up to a certain point depending on position, 88+ is fine for a forward and anything above like 75 is good for a midfielder, same for CBs.

Once you can break into the mid-upper 80s with chem or the low-mid 90s for forwards it's basically such a minimal difference that most sane people don't really give a poo poo.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TheBigAristotle posted:

Streaming or posting unedited screencaps will result in an account ban lol

That's pretty normal for an nda'd closed beta test.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

LastDeadMouse posted:

Serious injuries require substitution. I've seen around 3-4 in 15 matches. Expect people to bitch about this.

It was like this at the beginning of fifa 17 too and they changed it in the first patch because it was awful, you'd get an injury or two basically every game and constantly be subbing.

e: Just wondering, did you play weekend league in 17? If so, whereabouts did you place, will give me some more perspective on your initial thoughts etc.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 11, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

LastDeadMouse posted:

Yeah, I was a weekend league regular. Usually finished Gold 1. Pretty average player.

Yeah cool gold 1 is solid, that's about where I am. Knowing approximately the level of a player and how much they play makes a big difference reading beta thoughts imo, like some guy who has never qualified for weekend league and has played 200 games all year is gonna think in a totally different way about stuff than someone at your level.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So with the last futties player (i think?) released my squads have reached what will probably be their final form, mainly because I've only got like 150k left and I'm not gonna play or do enough to make more money at this point.

Behold, and be amazed at what playing 40 games almost every weekend can get you even when you're only pretty ok:

BPL squad
https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4991579

La Liga/Ligue 1 hybrid squad:

https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/4459483

This one gets swapped around a bit after a game starts, I play Cavani at CAM now that I have TOTS Lacazette, with Tolliso and Sanson behind him and Nzonzi at cdm.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

LastDeadMouse posted:

Seems like I'm the only one in the FUT beta. Lol suck it nerds.

Game is good. I've been playing weekend league and it feels much less gimmicky than Fifa 17. You have a lot more time on the ball and because of that more playstyles/players are viable than in last years version. Defense is more manual, AI controlled offensive players also make much smarter runs which really opens things up. If you are able to pass it backwards/sideways and are able to use 3-4 passes to setup a move your attackers will generally get in exactly the positions you want them to and it feels awesome to have the game working with you instead of against you in those situations. Other thing is that every type of pass is viable depending on the situation, there's no longer the 100% failure rates some types of attacks that there used to be. Spot a midfielder making a run into the box between the two CBs? Pass it back to your CAM and then do a lobbed through ball for a clear cut chance. See your striker peeling away towards the back post as you enter the box? Cross it to him and he'll bang in the unmarked header. It really opens things up on offense; conversely, defense is much more about spotting and shutting down offensive moves rather than chasing the ball. On defense, I usually will hit the tackle button only once or twice per move. Your defenders also seem a lot more cognizant about where the ball is and will actually try to clear the ball instead of standing there like robots. Games are usually high scoring, if you mess up your opponent is likely to score. The ball is now independent from the player, it doesn't feel like the ball is constantly glued to the player "in possession." On defense dispossessing an opponent simply means getting your guy to touch the ball, the hard part now is getting your defender close enough to the attacker due to the new momentum system. Skill moves and dribbling are a bit different (less reliant on the animation and maybe a bit slower/stiffer) but you can absolutely murder defenders by timing things right and changing direction at the right time.

Feedback on the beta forum is really positive as well. It seems like everyone likes the match engine, most of the complaints are about ratings and players not being at the right club etc even though it tells you like 500 times throughout the beta that the players aren't finalized.

This sounds great, I'm stoked. High scoring is fine with me anyway, defending is my weak point either way so if I have the tools to score loadsagoals that's cool.

Stefan Prodan posted:

They shoulda fuckin let you and me and hopterque in it, that's my take

also this

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Stefan Prodan posted:

Are there Icons on the PS4 or is that Xbox only

Icons are on all platforms

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

shut up blegum posted:

It's insane how bad I am at defending in this game. But I'm having fun playing again. Might pick up 18 at launch. Any news on when the demo will be available?

The 15th, I think.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah I don't know, Ligue 1 got gutted this summer. I don't know what leagues I'll go for. If crossing is good (as its rumored to be) it will make a lot more strikers viable, so its all up up in the air I guess.

I'll probably do a serie A squad for sure, and probably BPL for simplicities sake since it's gonna be full of overpowered players.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It boils down mostly to "get the fastest, strongest players you can", a lot like madden I guess.

That said, what stats exactly are important and what kind of players are valuable will change each year. In 17 high stamina wound up basically the most important stat for your midfielders because anything above basic level defensive meta involved running your midfielders around to break up attacks and hassle opponents, so a player with decent all around stats but 90+ stamina would be significantly more valuable than a player with very good stats but low stamina.

Chemistry is important, aside from the real tangible benefit (stat boosts from your chemistry styles) in my experience teams with high (preferably 100) chem play better as a unit, although this could be confirmation bias. It's generally ok to run a couple strong players on 7 chem, if they are good enough to the point where not having the full chem styles boost doesn't make them worse than other options. Ronaldo was played at 7 chem a lot, I used the second player of the month Son on 7 chem almost exclusively, things of that nature.

Anyway it's complex, but if you read the thread for 18 when it gets made I'm sure me and the other spergs will be talking metagame a lot and happy to answer questions as we get into the game and figure poo poo out for ourselves.

I'll say this, if you haven't played a lot of Fifa period, or online fifa in particular, it's no joke. The game is loving hard and you'll get loving crushed for a long time before you get the hang of it.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

sexpig by night posted:

Oh yea despite not much experiencing it myself I'm fully aware of how hardcore FIFA is online and all, I'm fully accepting I'll spend most of my time there getting wrecked by some twelve year old.

Thanks, though, that is helpful! Sounds like the only real change in mindset from stuff like Madden is Chemistry mattering a lot more. Honestly I like that if that's the case, it always felt like such a wasted stat in Madden unless there was just a few super specific combos or something like a solo challenge required it.

Chemistry in fifa is basically a restriction on how you can build an effective team, instead of just bonuses to your players if you get x number of chemistries. It's not wasted in madden at all, it's just a different design philosophy influenced by the fact that there's like 10000 basic players in fifa, and then all the special cards and poo poo on top of it. The database is so massive they feel like they have to have some kind of restrictions on how you put your teams together.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

I honestly don't think so. Most of the elite players are still there + neymar.

neymar,cavani,di maria,
rabiot, pastore, verratti,
kurzawa(???), silva, marquinos, alves

the only real weakness is left back and possibly the midfield but there will probably be OP players like Cyprien to slot right in.

Matuidi, Bernardo Silva, Aurier, Lacazette, Tolisso, Gonalons are all players I used and will miss a lot, we'll see what replacements look like.

Alves sucks rear end in Fifa imo, same for Pastore and Verratti, and I'm not a big Di Maria fan either.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

vivisectvnv posted:

are those legit, or did they just skim them from the beta?

Skimmed from the demo, which is out today I think.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

shut up blegum posted:

Hmmm, I'm not seeing it in the PS store right now

Its supposed to be out "this evening" UK time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Guillermus posted:

This year might do the jump to PS4 from PC depending on how good it looks. At the other hand I loved the bit of PC Parmos I play every year.

I'm really happy I made the jump to ps4 last year, it's so nice not having to deal with all the botters and poo poo, let alone the 99 ovr cheaters and everything else.

• Locked thread