Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

"I fought with Flynn! Sometimes even on his side!"

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

im really impressed iwth how useful Navarre is

Finally a way to use all those stones that were otherwise going to rot in your inventory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

You can just refuse to give them poo poo and they usually won't take off immediately.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Genpei did you play it after they patched it? I remember the patch listing mentioning it rebalanced the final dungeon, but I've never seen confirmation on what it specifically (except letting auto pinpoint work there.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Somewhat random question but what's the deal with Alice as a aside? After playing all these games I'm kind of curious if she's just a big favorite over there or what as she always seems insanely strong with her own move and strikes me as out of place next to deities and the like.

It started out as a "Haha wouldn't it be funny if the little girl from the first game was like, a super powerful secret boss?" and it kind of snowballed from there and now it's just, like, half-tradition and half-the current state of the otaku market.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 22, 2016

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

That sounds like a good mode for getting through the game for testing and/or seeing the story. I'm glad it exists.

Same, it's nice that people can experience the game the way that works best for them. :)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The Jade dagger walls and "you're trapped! repeatedly press X to escape!" things are terrible additions to the game, tbh. I appreciate them trying to find a way to make the reused dungeons feel different, but constantly having to backtrack to go power the dagger up is just busywork, and the traps are just time wasters.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I get pretty annoyed when I see dead bodies just laying around that I can't report for AP, especially when I'm only one or two points away from an app I want.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Man, arriving to Shinjuku just to see corpses all around the place gives you the heebie-jeebies. :ohdear:

You know what gives me the heebie jeebies? Not being able to turn them in for AP.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Agnostalgia posted:

So what's the preferred method of making Macca in this one? Fundraise seems a little anemic compared to 4.

Learn Estoma, cast it and make a relic run through previous areas like Ginza and Toyasu.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

I like how you can level up and personally select your partner this time around. It's a good design decision.

EDIT: I always wondered what the hell the people in subterranean Tokyo ate. No sunlight for crops, no livestock... So, turns out, they eat demons.

Gonna have me some roasted floating pig tonight...

There was one set of people who ate beef. :)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finished the game just now myself. Had to take a couple tries at the final boss I hate to admit :smith:

Overall I think the gameplay was significantly improved from 4 (playing them back to back really helped) but I can't help but feel like the plot really took a hit. General spoilers

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Day 43: I still don't understand why Gaston is in my party. Asahi is foster sister, fine. Nozomi and Hal are here because they're spying for Danu and the Ashura Kai, fine. Navarre is here because there are only three people on the planet that can actually see him, fine. Gaston is here because???

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, like, I keep a favorite slapped to my DDS card, but using it for actual combat? Nah.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Well, the only time you really need multi-hit stuff is for boss fights anyway. Regular fights go by so quickly it isn't a big issue.

You need them for experience pinatas hordes too.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Man I thought I was doing good on macca but then I got the black card and I can't afford anything. Guess its time to do a few more relic runs.

Speedball posted:

Last-dungeon burnout is a problem I've had with SMT games for a while.

Wasn't a problem in the Digital Devil Saga games since you ARE the demons.

The final dungeon of DDS2 is like a third of the game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly kinda loving when Dagda pops out of your smartphone and starts making monologues about how all your friends are dumb losers dragging you down and then everyone just sort of ignores him.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Rangpur posted:

I dunno about this one. I liked SMTIV a bunch, enough to do absolutely everything there was to do, DLC included. And yet... having done all that, it's real hard mustering up the enthusiasm to go back to it, even as part of a different game. (Especially since I lost my copy of SMTIV where I had painstakingly acquired everything, so no transfer bonuses for me!)

OTOH, weighed against that is the chance to basically replay SMTIV without needing to keep a spreadsheet of all the decisions you make in-game in order to say within a narrow range of (invisible, unconfirmable) points to get the best ending; and fight/recruit the Fiends without absurd 1/255 odds; and not watch the NPCs turn into blithering mouthpieces for Law/Chaos halfway through the game, abandoning all semblance of rationality or moderation; and not spend hours and hours trying to fuse Famed/Zealots; and not have to put up with a super grindy, tedious path to the neutral ending; etc. etc.

Guess my question is, how quality are these quality of life improvements?

edit: and I would remiss if I didn't add the boost it gets from starting the game with Navarre already dead

I think the fatigue of having done everything in SMT4 could kill your enthusiasm for SMT4A (though for me the only location I was like "Urgh I don't want to do this again" was in Naraku).

Here are some pros you may like: Navigation is easier. Everywhere. The Tokyo map is less cluttered and locations are labeled on the bottom screen's map (though you can turn those off if you want the authentic SMT4 experience), there are far fewer "you have to take this unmarked tunnel to get to this district" things, and it's just overall a huge difference. In dungeons/towns/whatever you can climb ledges/ladders/air ducts/etc without having to use the d-pad to press "up" to make the MC look upwards first. There is an actual working estoma, so when you backtrack to old areas you don't have to worry about fighting a bunch of low level scrubs.

There are fewer side quests, and they're sent directly to your phone rather than requiring you to go to the hunter's association and look at the quest board.

There's nothing like SMT4's neutral ending hoops, both in terms of getting it and doing eight hundred million sidequests. While there is an alignment system in game, you can, just, like, choose against it and suffer a penalty rather than being forced down a path like in 4.

The gameplay is more balanced - smirking isn't as ridiculous as it was in 4, your demons seem to have drastically more MP than in 4 so they can actually do stuff, and the skill affinities kind of force you to diversify your skill sets. In general, everything is less of a glass cannon.

The compendium seems way cheaper, even without the discount apps.

Stuff you may be ambivalent about :
A lot of stuff is level-gated: Apps and challenge quests open up as you gain levels, so, like, you won't be able to get 8 skill slots until level 75. You'll be making a lot of hard choices when it comes to skill inheritance.

The compendium has a completion percentage, and given your completionist tendencies that might irritate you. Zealots and Famed are still random chances, but there are a few things ingame that seem to be designed to help make that easier.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think I've ever had Toki as my partner, but hearing that she deletes hordes intrigues me because those are pretty much the only enemies I consistently encounter anymore.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I feel like they sort of underplayed the characters reaching the surface and seeing the sky. That should have been this huge "HOLY poo poo" moment like when the Samurai first saw Tokyo in SMT4, but they just kinda went "Oh well the sky is really big!" and moved on. It felt like the characters in Persona 4 were more impressed by the sky after the December dungeon than the characters were here.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Man, the final dungeon stuff feels really tacked on. Maybe it's because the party's motivation seems to be "Might as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" and that's maybe not the best lead up to a final dungeon.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

where is minami sunamachi?

Tokyo Bay area, you have to take the big red/brown highway looking thing and follow it all the way to to the eastern end of Tokyo

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

CommunityEdition posted:

Will I be getting any armor substantially better than the Master set? Nothing in Ginza looked like much of an improvement, so I'm wondering if I'll regret chucking all my armor kits at it

Nope, the Samurai thing from Ginza is the top tier, stat wise. There are two sets of armor in the final dungeon that have the same stats as the Master set (although the body pieces have different resists) that you may think look neato.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait why are people saying this is the last DLC? The game's been out for less than a month and I was under the impression in Japan they stretched out the DLC over like, 3 months

In Japan they only released like, three things a week, whereas it looks like they released six or seven a week here?

• Locked thread