Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

lotus circle posted:

The producers have said in interviews that they agree the show got a bit too dour for their taste in late season, so they're definitely aiming for a more Season 1 feel.

The producers of Arrow said the same thing going into last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
That was poo poo.
Lol at all the people bigging up "Flashpoint" since the end of last season and how much effect it was going to have on this show and the others.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

ShortLeroy posted:

Barry goes back to the night his Mum was killed. Around also were Henry and kid Barry. Barry stops Reverse Flash and saves his Mum's life. Barry takes Reverse Flash back to his present day and locks him up. But for all those years in between Henry, Nora and kid Barry would have been living happily together. So what happened to that Barry who got to grow up with having both his parents around?

That's what I thought too, but couldn't be arsed to write it out.
Barry effectively took over the life of the other Barry, but had his original Barry memories. With all the things that would have been different there is no way he would have been able to carry that off for 3 months - he lasted less than a day in Earth 2 before he got found out

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Barry and Draco's last conversation was basically Dexter and "Suprise Mother fucker" guy.

Has there been any changes at all visible on Arrow? I can't remember Diggle's kid being mentioned yet?
Have they confirmed that both shows are now running in this new timeline? It would seem a little odd considering the massive changes that have occurred around the Flash show for the only change in Arrow being isolated to Diggle's kid.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

lotus circle posted:

The way I see it, there are two kinds of time travel on this show.

One is going back like 24 hours or some small amount of time. You're not really going back to the past, so much as you're rewinding the clock. Even Wellsobard calls what Barry did in s1 a "time reversion" or something to that effect. Barry didn't create a whole new timeline, he just went back one day to do something different. This is why there aren't two Barrys running around when he stops the hurricane, or goes back when Vandal destroys Star City.

The other is legit time travel, going back to longer periods ago to change something. This is what we saw in s2e17: there were two Barrys, because our Barry was going back several months ago to a time that "solidified" as the show terms. This also includes going to when his mom died.

So the amount of timelines is more like:

Timeline 01: Newspaper timeline, where Eobard came from.
Timeline 02: Original show timeline, created when Eobard killed Nora.
Timeline 03: Created when Barry went back in time in S2 to talk with Wellsobard. No major changes apart from Hartley now being a good guy. Lasts until the s2 finale. Though the show doesn't really seem to acknowledge this as its own timeline, perhaps because there were no major changes?
Timeline 04: Flashpoint.
Timeline 05: Same timeline as 02+03, only with minor differences (Joe didn't tell Iris about her mother, Caitlin is developing meta-human powers, Cisco's brother was killed in a DUI crash, etc)

So if we don't count Timeline 03 since the show doesn't seem to acknowledge it, we have about 4 different timelines.

Other timeline 5 "minor" changes - a guy working with Barry for over a year who is in charge of any meta investigation, Diggle's kid changing sex.
People getting powers that didn't have them and family members dying are not minor changes.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
So last season the "barry voice over intro" was "I'm the Flash, I hosed up and brought new threats to my world. I'm the only one who can stop them". This season is " I'm the Flash, I hosed up and brought new threats to my world. I'm the only one who can stop them". Will each season end with Barry loving up and bringing new threats to his world (and hopefully new Wells too)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
They really need to tone down on the "plinky plonky" music when new Wells (or other character) is doing something whacky. In fact can we just get that thing expunged from all TV? - we know when characters are doing something silly or amusing, as the actors are acting it out in front of us, we don't need some poo poo trope music spelling it out.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mortanis posted:

Barry: "I just wish we knew that we were changing the future."

Did Mister Cisco's Wild Ride from the episode before just suddenly stop working? Seems like it didn't cost anything, so why not just vibe to the future for a status report every day? Seems way better than just guessing.

This is the thing I find infuriating about this show, they constantly just forget about stuff. There is no consistency in their world or characters.
This episode was yet again a series of events brought about by characters making dumb choices and resolved by making even dumber ones.

Oh and what was up with the leather boob cones? Is that a thing that is made into real clothes?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Wasn't it a change due to flashpoint?

Also she has cold powers. That's why she becomes cold and frosty when she uses them.

Her having powers in this timeline was because of Flashpoint, but they have never said why her powers didn't manifest until just as we started seeing their timeline when Barry rocked up.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
on top of all the other awful contrivances

"Grod kidnapped Wells as he is the only one over here who can open a rift, if we rescue him there is no other way to open a rift".
Jesse comes to Earth 1 through a rift.
Grodd has leather pyramid boob lady anyway

I guess the Sisko doesn't have (or need) his Vibe gear any more.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I like that Barry's tactic is to just run in a straight line toward Grodd. This episode was kind of fun but bogged down by some just really dumb poo poo.

So we ran the drawing of a face through EVERY database, the guy is a ghost (but we'll still show the search happening on screen for some reason).
Then HR noticed something - that they guy had a short haircut.
So we ran the drawing of the face through the Department of Defense database... (showing the search and result on screen for some reason)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm not opposed to "it was all a dream" style stuff since we the audience still get to see the cool wacky stuff so this sounds good to me. Like I don't need it to necessarily be canon that Jesse L Martin belts out a sick solo about being the Flash's father as long as it happens on my TV screen

In my eyes there is a massive difference between "it was a dream" and "shared experience between 2 people in their minds"

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Nullsmack posted:

What holds up all of those ice loop-de-loops though?

Nothing. She thinks she hasn't killed anyone yet, but actually 137 people died in the chase from head injuries sustained from falling blocks of ice.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
That was an episode where whacky things were happening in a lighthearted way - I know this because of the plinky plonky music in the background. I would have been confused if that wasn't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

have you tried not despising women

Here we go again.
It's perfectly possible to not like a character on a TV show and not be a woman hating psychopath.

• Locked thread