Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy Goodbody posted:

I thought E2 Wells was a lot less interesting than Thawne Wells. A lot of that is probably the fact that Season 1 was a lot better and built around Thawne Wells, but still.

E2 Wells was interesting because instead of pretending to be inspirational but having a secret agenda, the guy was just a huge dick. Not evil, but almost amoral in how little he really cared about anyone but his daughter (at least until near the end).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
tbf a lot of the "well she's not well written" is usually code for "I don't like romances in my TV shows".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

howe_sam posted:

TV writers in general, and people who write for genre shows in particular, seem allergic to having couples in stable relationships. They have this notion that the audience is more invested in the struggle of a pairing to get together than actually being a couple. These days a cynic might say it's because they want to cater to as many different permutations of shippers as they can.

Nah it's fairly common to have stable relationships. For two examples, Bones and Castle both had long lasting relationships with their main characters (albeit with quite a bit of "will-they-won't-they" too).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy A. Person posted:

sorry I was teasing, I was trying to lighten the mood but failed worse than Barry trying to not screw up time travel

In fairness, the only character in the last few years I can remember not screwing up time travel is McConaughey in Interstellar.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

kingcom posted:

Wtf is wrong with you all.

The dumbest thing I've seen in a long time is not the wierd racial poo poo going on in this thread about a teen superhero soap opera but that people thinking this is all super well written.

Actually no the dumbest thing i've seen in a long time are shippers who are so so often terrifyingly creepy and obsessive and doing anything that remotely appeals to them drives everything into the group faster than felicity can cry yell over inconsistent motivation. Thanks for reinforcing that super hard thread.

This is kinda what I'm talking about with people being allergic to romance. The bad fights in this show don't get nearly as strong of a reaction.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Spergatory posted:

The thing that gets me is that Wells Flash offered him a chance to do exactly this at the end of season 1, no strings attached, and he turned it down because he liked the life and friends he had. Thawne seemed genuinely confused that Barry would turn down the chance to undo the damage he did to the timeline-- not in a "curses, you didn't fall for my evil plan!" way, but in a "holy poo poo, I just offered you, my sworn enemy, a golden goose with no strings attached, and you spat in my face! What the gently caress is wrong with you?" kinda way. And then at the end of season 2 he goes back and does it anyway, so it's almost like he didn't do it in season 1 just to be a dick. Not to preserve his relationship with his friends or found family, but just so he could gently caress Thawne over and murder him (and his ancestor!). Jesus, no wonder Thawne hates the guy.

I mean, he did lose his dad at the end of last season too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

What's the deal with Cavanaugh by the way? Is he in this season? I was kind of hoping we'd get an alive earth 1 Cavanaugh that Barry never killed. Excuse me, that Thawne never killed. Freudian slip.

They'll hand wave it somehow, but he's confirmed to be back. Probably the non-Thawne Wells which will be a new take.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Beens posted:

That's what I thought too, but couldn't be arsed to write it out.
Barry effectively took over the life of the other Barry, but had his original Barry memories. With all the things that would have been different there is no way he would have been able to carry that off for 3 months - he lasted less than a day in Earth 2 before he got found out

He also wasn't a nerdy loner in E2 though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Robot Hobo posted:

According to the first episode of the season, this is exactly what should happen in a few months. Quicker, even, since Barry was taking it easy and not having to superhero full time in the pre-matricide timeline.

I really hope the show at least mentions it happening, just as a "See, we didn't forget our own rules!" from the writing room. Come on, it would be so easy. Just one little scene where someone asks what happened in the other timeline, and Barry realizes he can't recall any of it. I'd forgive a lot if they just remembered to bring that up again.

Bringing it up again would by definition violate that rule since they'd remember it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bozart posted:

I hope we get an 80's Wells by the end of the season. This show needs more Fringe.

My name is Barry Allen, and I am the fastest man alive.

In 1989 my father from another dimension crossed over and kidnapped me as a child. Now mysterious forces threaten the fate of the universe. I am the only one fast enough to stop them.

I am THE FLASH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

muscles like this! posted:

It was kind of goofy how they just handwaved away how the kid was able to create a giant hologram like that.

Super smart science people? In my comic book franchise?

• Locked thread