Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What's the story with distribution this time? It shows up on Netflix after the whole season runs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ice cold horchata posted:

Yeah and like immediately after on the CW website and app.
Noice. Now that's a cool and refreshing drink!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

LOL at Barry saying nothing about Caitlin had changed. Caitlin doesn't have a personal life to change. Does she even have parents?
She had a dead fiance for a bit, but then he died.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spergatory posted:

He's 100% right too. Barry is shifty as gently caress. :ninja:
Barry is a selfish pathological liar with severe impulse control problems, so yeah.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phylodox posted:

At this point, everything about this show and Arrow just feels so rote. They're not trying anything new or exciting anymore, they're just maybe tweaking the status quo a bit, probably only for an episode or two, and then getting back to the same tired melodrama and re-hashed monster meta-of-the-week plots. I want them to really do something with this shared unimultiverse they've got. Swing for the fences. At least for the season premiere and finale.
So far, both Flash episodes haven't been very meta-of-the-week. The Rival showed up both times, sure, but the episodes weren't about "how they hell do we handle the Rival," both were about Barry loving things up. I don't think this season is going to be as good as 1, but so far it seems like it could easily be better than 2.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Alchemy is going to turn the lead of a mediocre second season into solid TV gold.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

greatn posted:

Gay dudes, racists, people in committed relationships, close family members.
Sexuality is a spectrum, lots of racists want to have sex with black people, this has never mattered in history, Barry Allen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

tsob posted:

Grodd is one of the most sympathetic characters on the show and would probably make a better hero than Barry frankly.
Like Barry, Grodd was manipulated by the Reverse Flash and transformed into something powerful but dangerous. Unlike Barry, Grodd wasn't transformed into a villain.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ZRM posted:

I dunno. Have we ever seen Barry eat a chili dog?
I could not confirm, but I found this instead.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Cause this show is really dumb.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also lmao that Barry is still a virgin.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Deuce posted:

I've just watched the first two seasons. Just once I want to see a metahuman get shot by a police officer.

Rarrr! I am FIRE MAN, I can shoot fire from my hands! I am here to destroy the fla-*bang*

Bullets... my one weakness...
Literally the first episode.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Aren't they setting up her cold powers going out of control? So, just ripping off Frozen
You think Frozen invented this?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

howe_sam posted:

I would watch the hell out of that.
And they'd still be tool-assisted!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

These "young people" are mid to late twenties with full time careers.
In advanced science.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Phenotype posted:

"gross" is a very aggressive term
You're just trying to hit bingo, huh?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I want an episode where evil Eobard Thawne shows up from another world, and then a good version who is that world's Flash shows up chasing him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bonus points if they go back in time and encounter Wells-Thawne.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I forgot about this scene in season 2 where Snart freezes lasers into solid objects. I'm dying over here.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh man, "natural athleticism." Every drat time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It kinda works in that episode since Stein is the only one who says it, and you can just pretend Stein is really super racist, except they kept doing it in Legend for a while, too. Seems to have vanished from the latest season.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barry was going a bit over Mach 2 when he traveled back in time. Any rear end in a top hat with a supersonic jet can go back in time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

God, the "Jay is Zoom" twist is such a mess. Jay is a total non-character. We're not invested in him at all, even after half a season. We're supposed to buy that this is another big betrayal, but it's not. He's hardly in the show. And what is the purpose? What is the point of this? "It's very good for Barry to trust his friends, except sometimes when it's not." Except Jay wasn't his friend. He was just some guy who turned up sometimes.

I'm also pretty sure they were just making it up as they went along, as evidenced by Zoom bringing the dead Jay home and being like "Well this is a complication." I don't think the writers had any idea what they wanted with this season. It's a shame, because on a per-episode basis there's plenty of good stuff. Everything with Joe and Iris' mom is very good. Their relationship makes sense, it's nuanced, they act like real people. A lot of the stuff with the team and the new Wells is good. There are some decent monster-of-the-week things. But god, the metaplot is a disaster.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

I disagree with this part, I think two key things happened:

1) they wanted the whole dynamic of the season to be Jay Garrick being the "trustworthy" mentor and the new Wells to be the shady mentor (both because of their history with Thawne-Wells and also cause he's just a dick in general) and for it to be a reversal of expectation when Jay turned out to be the bad guy

2) they were desperate to throw people off the trail, and they chose to do this by keeping Jay way in the background the whole season and pulling poo poo like the dumb time remnant stuff

Like the first part is actually a compelling idea and would have been a good follow up to season 1's plot. Jay Garrick trying to appeal to Barry through the nice guy routine while Wells spat off uncomfortable truths. But it would still be a fairly obvious twist and they should have just embraced that.

But yeah, I think for the most part they knew in advance what they were doing, and they just thought that they could half-rear end Zoom's "Jay" part by banking on the Jay Garrick name, and that the time remnant thing would be a cool mind-gently caress rather than some obvious bullshit.
This is a fair analysis. I recognize, intellectually, that television doesn't get made up as it goes along. Seasons are planned ahead of time, arcs are written out, etc. It's never just made up, no matter what show gets accused of it. But it's still dumb and frustrating.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Every single action Zoom takes makes his motivation less and less clear. Why an army of metahumans? Why take over the city and give it to them? He gives a speech like he's trying to prove the superiority of metahumans. Or is he addicted to a speed drug and dying? Or is he just a serial killer? Or does he want to blow up the multiverse? Or does he just want to be the fastest man anywhere?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think they call him Kid Flash in this one.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

I actually found that kind of a refreshing way to mix it up, have the VoW defeated approx 30 minutes in and then get on with the season plot. It sucks that it happened to Shade instead of someone like generic sand guy or generic lava guy or any various guys from last season.
I would have liked to see them gloss over generic speed guy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

With the help of Julian who he has freed from Savitar's control, Barry is able to finally corner the God of Speed.

He dashes in for the fight, when suddenly Savitar flickers a few times and disappears. Barry is hit by a taser and falls to the ground convulsing, and the fat kid from the monster episode stands over him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOugNisFgVo
Lmfao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Well, what would you say makes it better than last season? I really liked the first season for the most part, much like I did Green Arrow.
Everyone's motivations actually make sense. They're more focused on the overall season plot. Characters are allowed to have fun.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zebulon posted:

That last one is probably the most important part. The show feels FUN again.
I rewatched Seasons 1 and 2 recently, because I love the first season a huge amount, and there's a great scene in which Barry and Joe are talking and Barry tells him about his powers and Joe's like "that's super cool man" and Barry's like "yeah it rocks." It's neat to have characters actually enjoy something about being a hero.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

This season is a good deal better but not up there with Season 1.
Well, yeah. Season 1 is really, really good. It's up in my top 5 superhero-related things with JLU and Batman: TAS. It's not as good as either of those, but it is very good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

don't worry, professor stein will come in and explain that it's only due to his natural athleticism.
Lmfao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Barry should be Inverse Flash. Good, non-moron Barry Allen can be the normal Flash.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's insane to me that the CW doesn't sell "I'm Biris For Iris" t-shirts. Insane!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

He's neither a lesbian nor an anti-lesbian, two of the most fundamental particles of the universe. Guy Goodbody, if you move fast enough you can switch your lesbians and anti-lesbians and counteract his sonic waves. [whispering seriously] Run, Guy!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

pee out my butt posted:

Oh, I'm not like a lesbian at all. Some would say...I'm the reverse.

*vibrates into Iris*
lmao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DoggPickle posted:

Haha yeah. The replies were very funny. I only made the lesbian comment because that whole thread frustrated me so badly that everyone had glommed on to one particular point in a long post of points about how funny and silly and terrible the entire show is from top to bottom, and I lost it and started poo poo posting a bit. Guilty as charged.

P.S. the entire thread is full of lesbians who are too busy imagining all the female leads having sex with each other to notice what a fountain of hilarity that every scene of that series contains. It's sad really. Oy Vey!
Oy Vey!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I can't believe they wrote Caitlyn out into a spin-off that doesn't exist
I kept waiting for a Dr. Snow, M.D. logo on the bottom of the screen.

"Can a woman with an ice-cold heart find the man... to get her hot again?" *Caitlin does something clumsy and adorable in front of a hot guy * "This lonely ophthalmologist has a secret, and it's a whole lot bigger than having too many cats!" *Caitlin's best friend at work says 'Oh brother!'* "Coming to the CW..."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

That would require season 2 to not have been garbage, season 3 was this shows season 4. It's all downhill from here.
No, S3 wasn't really a recovery. They just had to spend the entire season trying to fix a really dumb writing choice at the end of S2. 4 has the potential to be good without all that baggage. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Supergirl stands on top of a high building and shrieks "Batman" into the night. Fans are delighted, yet debate intently: did she mean that Batman?

• Locked thread