Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

You all have watched the last three seasons of the show right? You've all seen Barry Allen's "thought process" when it comes to solving problems. The only sound that's in Barry's mind is a dial tone :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

So, what do we think is going to have the crazier, more unrealistic thing happen during its air time tomorrow: Flash vs. a psychic gorilla army, or Trump's speech to Congress? :v:

Trump saw the last episode, thought it was real and his speech is about how he wants to build a wall to keep out psychic gorillas.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anybody ever asked the show's writers, say at a convention panel or FAQ session, why Barry seemed to kill all his bad guys in season two?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Savitar is the Cat Grant of Earth 1.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Space Crabs posted:

I couldn't decide between vacationing at Kangabat Murder Society or Mad Hole: Country of Screamers

Orangutan Surfing Civilisation sounds like it might be fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burning_Monk posted:

I feel the same way but with Central City.

I think Central and Keystone are usually portrayed as St. Louis and Kansas City respectively, or something like that (I'm not familiar enough with American cities to remember the exact analogues). One of them is the white-collar services sector city on one side of the river, while the other (I'm pretty sure it's Keystone - whichever one Wally is from in the comics) is presented as a blue-collar mid-western union town on the other.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon Savitar is that suspicious editor Iris had last season who hated the Flash for ill-defined reasons and took her out to dinner once.

Have you seen him since then?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, keep in mind that the reason Reverse-Flash became the Flash's greatest enemy was that he travelled through time and learned that he was the Flash's greatest enemy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

Just go full Galavant and have a whole musical season.

INTRODUCING

DETECTIVE JOE WEST

IN

COP ROCK: THE REBOOT

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, Black Lightning's a cool character who fits into the kind of "B-Team" nature of the Arrow-verse and has built in support team and family drama with his daughters. Plus it diversifies up your field of heroes with a character that has a bunch of topical stories to tell.

I didn't know DC/CW had already ordered a fifth show but it doesn't surprise me at all that its Black Lightning.

I mean, they made a Ray cartoon.

Fingers crossed that Richard Roundtree guest stars as Soul Power. :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone else feel like Flash - the programme, not the character - still hasn't gotten over the missteps of season two, or is that just me? I've been watching it this season and while there's been a lot I've liked, I nonetheless cannot help but feel as though the disappointment I felt about season two is still casting a wee bit of a shadow over it.

I actually liked season three of Arrow for the most part (haven't seen season four yet - I'll get to it) which I understand a lot of folks didn't but I still felt like it was better than Flash season two. Might be alone in that as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's different degrees of serialisation. You can have "every episode counts" serialisation like a lot of contemporary dramas do. You can have "either/or" serialisation like The X-Files where the MOTW episodes and the mythology episodes are clearly delineated. And you can have Buffy serialisation (or probably some other more contemporary show if you like, but Buffy's still the template for most of these CW shows and shows in that region even 20 years later), where it's got episodic stories mixed in with an overarching storyline, which is what I think Flash had in its first season.

There's something to be said for having done-in-ones. Part of the problem is that you can have enough storyline but not enough story (if that makes sense) and breaking it up a bit helps a lot. The periodic Rogues episodes you had throughout season one were always reliably entertaining and great at stopping the Reverse-Flash plot from dragging more than it could have, which is obviously something that's been lost a bit as a consequence of Miller and Purcell moving over to LoT. you had Captain Cold as a really solid recurring secondary villain and the series hasn't really had that in seasons two or three.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Arrow was able to use Ra's al Ghul so maybe Flash could get somebody else's villains when he's finished killing all of his.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Longbaugh01 posted:

Soon after this, all the villains in the DC universe will be exhausted and Barry will move on to the other Earths in the multiverse to quench his bloodlust.

The big crossover event of Arrow season 9/Flash season 7/Supergirl season 6/LoT season 6 will be the heroes travelling the multiverse trying to resurrect the one hero capable of stopping Barry Allen's rampage: Eobard Thawne.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

I guess the problem is that most regular people should be no match for Barry, but the writers have never had a problem with making Barry pretty incompetent and in need of a pep talk whenever it suited the script. :v:

Remember the time Zoom stuck him in a flimsy-looking glass box and he forgot he could phase through things until Zoom phased through it to beat him up?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm almost sure he was just cooling his heels in the cell and didn't even try phasing through the wall until he saw Zoom do it. Prepared to acknowledge I might not be remembering properly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

It may have been implied that he tried to phase before, but there was definitely a progression of events that made it seem like Barry just forgot one of his powers.

Right, I remember thinking it was really annoying because one of the coolest scenes in the season two Reverse-Flash story was Barry running through a wall to take Thawne by surprise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, didn't notice the title at first so I was a bit confused when Purple Flash says, "You're leaving me?" and the nerdy guy turns round and says, "Bollocks."

Then Flash shows up, realises he's there too late to save the nerdy guy, and goes, "Bollocks."

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 9, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bbf2 posted:

Also they apparently completely forgot about the fact that HR needs to disguise his face in public. I don't think 10 years is enough time for people to forget that he looks exactly like the world's most notorious mad scientist/serial killer.

Remember the time Patty shot Harry from Earth 2 when she mistook him for Thawne!Wells and Joe was all like, "I'll explain everything, but I need you to leave and let me deal with this, Patty"?

Because the show never did. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Savitar will be Barry, except he'll be nineties Barry played by John Wesley Shipp.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Savitar is Joe, and when he reveals himself he'll go, "IT WAS ME, ALLEN! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just wish they did more with Joe. He's a cool character and Jesse L. Martin plays him really well but, I don't know, I guess he's seemed under-utilised this season. Perhaps I'm just still too wedded to my silly fanfiction idea that on Earth-38 (Supergirl's Earth) his doppelganger Commissioner Gordon and Iris is Batgirl. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Savitar should take his (or her) mask off but his (or her) face is always hidden by some cunningly positioned piece of scenery, and all the characters react but never actually use his (or her) real name.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Apparently Central City is in Missouri? I would not have guessed that.

I think in the comics it had a sort of Kansas City, Kansas / Kansas City, Missouri with Keystone City where they were each on either side of a river.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Snart as a hero but it's still a wee bit disappointing that it makes him tough to use as a villain again; it's fun that Barry has one enemy who sort of respects him for some reason (:iiam:) and has a code that stops Barry from killing him like he does everyone else with the misfortune to cross his path.

I think this and the last season of Flash have suffered for not having him and Rory as reliable recurring bad guys.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope that the big bad in the next season not being a speedster will help things out as far as storytelling and pacing goes - it's tough to base the plot around opposition to a villain that you can't actually fight. Same thing happened with Zoom last season, though at least this time they had Savitar trapped in the speed force for a while rather than skulking in his hideout.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What do folks who didn't enjoy this season so much (I honestly didn't see enough of it) think Flash should do for season four to improve?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was also that evil Firestorm guy who they said they were keeping locked up until he forgot their secret identities. Far as we know, he's still down there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's been the exact same "how can the Flash be saved from itself" discussions at the end of this season as there were last season. Season one ended and everyone's really excited for what they'll do next; season two and three end and everyone's pondering whether the next season will be a return to form. :shrug:

I'm pretty sure there were fairly high-profile convention panels both this season and last where folks involved with the show had to say, "Yeah, there's been problems, but don't worry, we'll fix them next season," weren't there?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

And (spoiler on new episode) there is a time jump

So what else is new? :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lotus circle posted:

I think they missed the point that Wellsobard worked because of his personal connection to Barry. Being his creator, mentor, the man who murdered his mother, and biggest supporter both morally and in his ear. Zoom was a very poor attempt to recreate that, and Savitar would have benefited from an earlier reveal.

I remember that one interview Kreisberg (?) did late in season two after the Zoom reveal where he talked about how terrible the betrayal was for Barry, discovering that Jay, who he'd thought of as a friend and mentor, was actually evil. And the reaction to it was, you didn't see any of that on screen; Jay was never really much of a mentor at all. But based on that interview, the guys writing the show seemed to think they'd done that and that it should be clear to the audience at home. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lotus circle posted:

Yeah I remember that too and it was absolutely bullshit. Jay and Barry barely had any one-on-one interactions with each other after the first couple episodes. Harry was more a mentor frankly, which makes sense since Barry wants a Harrison Wells that isn't a murderer and overall life ruiner.

Indeed. I even remember someone saying in the season two thread that it would have been a genuinely cool twist if, building up to it, they'd had sketchy Harry who nobody trusts and is explicitly set up as an untrustworthy character giving Barry good advice that just isn't listened to (and they did do that to some extent) and upright lantern-jawed Jay putting everyone at ease but deliberately misleading Barry or just not being much use at all acting as Barry's shoulder angels. The latter point is where they fell down; Jay's entire role up until the big reveal is a good example of telling rather than showing (and, with said interview in mind, not really telling in the show).

quote:

They really did a disservice to Teddy Sears by not giving him a full-time contract. Having your villain be a guest-star with limited episodes doesn't work if you also want to cultivate that inner-connection.

I actually really enjoyed him playing a deranged grandstanding supervillain in the last half-dozen or so episodes, but my big problem with Zoom is that he's a master villain who doesn't really have a master plan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember when Zoom got together an army of bad guys from Earth 2 and then set them on Central City? Then Barry beat them all in the cold open of the next episode?

Remember how one of them was just a guy standing in the back wearing a zoot suit?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We never got to see Earth 2 (or any other) Eobard Thawne(s).

I realise that there's no prospect of it ever happening but he'd make a really fun villain if Supergirl goes to the future and meets the Legion of Superheroes next season. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Would have been better if Alchemy had just been the villain of season three overall. Wasn't terribly keen on Savitar.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would be nice if Joe got to do some sort of proper detective stuff next season. I like him as Barry's wise dad because that's a part he plays well, but outside of that, he's mostly the non-science guy the rest of the team explains science stuff to.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I will not be excited until they announce Sue and don't announce Dr Arthur Light.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember the metapocalypse?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the whole, Flash is still better than Heroes, right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

I go back and watch the first season every so often, thinking "okay, it can't have really been good, the show must suck, right?" It's still good. They did such a good job with that season. What the hell happened?

Lots of issues. For instance, I believe they wanted it to be an anthology style of show which would have different characters each season, which was never going to happen.

• Locked thread