Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Koalas March posted:

muscles like this? posted:

Knock this poo poo off.
Nope!

Wait, are we allowed to dismiss mods in the TVIV now?

Also, Koalas March, am I a racist if I think Iris and Caitlyn are, more often than not, poorly used on the show? Am I a sexist if I say I think Iris needs her own subplot and/or villain? Is thinking that Caitlin should become Killer Frost (but heroic like Barry "the Fastest Murderer Alive" Allan) mean I want to make America great again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

AAAAAAAAANYWAY since it's a given that Bary will kill metahumans to sate the speedforce-fueled bloodlust that courses through his veins, what percentage of the metahumans this season will survive the encountering the blood-red blur?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Spergatory posted:

The thing that gets me is that Wells Flash offered him a chance to do exactly this at the end of season 1, no strings attached, and he turned it down because he liked the life and friends he had. Thawne seemed genuinely confused that Barry would turn down the chance to undo the damage he did to the timeline-- not in a "curses, you didn't fall for my evil plan!" way, but in a "holy poo poo, I just offered you, my sworn enemy, a golden goose with no strings attached, and you spat in my face! What the gently caress is wrong with you?" kinda way. And then at the end of season 2 he goes back and does it anyway, so it's almost like he didn't do it in season 1 just to be a dick. Not to preserve his relationship with his friends or found family, but just so he could gently caress Thawne over and murder him (and his ancestor!). Jesus, no wonder Thawne hates the guy.

My question is, in the original timeline, Barry became the Flash without his mom getting murdered. Ostensibly, going back and undoing murdermom in the first season would've just restored the original timeline, since Barry had to become the Flash in that timeline for Thawne to hate him. So why did going back in the second season create a third, completely different timeline in which Wally is the Flash and Barry isn't? :psyduck:

I mean, I already know the answer. We all know the answer. But still, I feel like the question should be asked.

[nerd alert] In the original timeline Barry's family wasn't attacked that night and Barry didn't become the Flash until like 2020 if I remember correctly (whenever the particle accelerator explosion was originally going to happen.) No murder, but the more important detail, no attempted murder. Even preventing her murder left the attempt, which means that the police were called in that would have responded to other things that night, insurance claims were filed that didn't exist before, etc, etc.
Obviously the Arrowverse uses a more strict butterfly effect than most shows with time travel. Thrawn!Wells mentions it when Barry changes time both times in season 1. Things that he didn't directly effect were changed because of other, smaller changes. [/nerd alert]

Just ignore all the evidence that doesn't agree with this theory.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I love them missing the obvious option of Cisco and Caitlin training together with their new powers in the vibe.

8one6
May 20, 2012

LinkesAuge posted:

Which only makes it worse because now superpowers are some kind of sickness that make you crazy/evil? That's opening a can of worms.

I have to assume they're doing that to set up why the show will have to take away Caitlyn & Wally's powers during the season finale.
You know, because heaven forbid we have more than one superhero per superhero show. What do you think this is, Legends of Tomorrow?

In a semi-related thought: Post-Flashpoint do they still have Black Siren locked up in the no-lunch supermax?

8one6
May 20, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

It was 70% Arrow melodrama :raise:

Since I didn't have to watch any Arrow leading up to this episode and I won't have to watch any Arrow after this episode I can say it was actually a pretty ok episode of the crossover. I mean, I still had to watch some Arrow during this crossover, but I'll take a half-hour "no one can accept the perfect matrix" melodrama episode that all genre shows eventually do over the Felicity cry-talking of season 4.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Knormal posted:

Every time they lock someone in one of their Science Jailcells I just keep focusing on how there's no bathroom in it.

If I remember correctly the Cisco blog thing from season one said that the no-bathroom-breaks pods connected into another room when they weren't being called up to talk to Team Flash.

Though now that I think about it that would just raise even more questions about no-lunch supermax.

8one6
May 20, 2012

greatn posted:

Zoom embedded his consciousness in that hat before he died, using the vibrational frequency of his soul. Now that Jay uses it he is possessed by the Ghost of Zoom.

STOP GIVING THEM TERRIBLE IDEAS!!!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Earth 2 Africa looks remarkably like a forest in Vancouver.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Gorilla darts. Grodd planned ahead.
Now,why they didn't overdose everyone else...

8one6
May 20, 2012

At least this time they didn't pretend it's a multi-night crossover event that starts this Monday on The CW's Supergirl!

It's just on the Flash nerds. Deal with it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Well Mick was Chronos for a relatively long time and Dominic Purcell has said that he's constantly drunk because the writers have forgotten this so that he doesn't have to be Chronos. It may have given him some perspective.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I feel like the time vault is something the writers specifically ignore unless they need it for something. Because I can't imagine a reason that Cisco not to be in there every day data mining cool future tech or info about potential metas.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

Yeah speaking of this...if Thawne ceased to exist, and all versions of him will eventually cease to exist, then why don't things like the Time Vault cease to exist if it was only Thawne who would have constructed them...though I guess the same goes for the entire Particle Accelerator, unless original Wells was going to build one anyway.

8one6
May 20, 2012

They say he's the first speedster, so the answer is Savitar is Mike Jittlov.

8one6
May 20, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

To keep him from getting knocked out or breathing in poison gas and passing out. :v:

Or from being shot on those weeks when he forgets he can react to the pressure of the bullet hitting him fast enough to keep it from penetrating.
You know, every week except that one time in season one.

8one6
May 20, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

Have we done Savitar is Iris yet?

I think Savitar is Iris.

We have. Currently we're debating the merits of Savitar being Katar Hol.

8one6
May 20, 2012

That's right, Black Lightning is getting a show! Have they said if it's in the Arrowverse?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Vietnamwees posted:

Man, HR is really horning in on that scientist gal hard this episode.

And yet less creepy than thirsty Cisco.

Ojjeorago posted:

Mohinder shows up and holds Savitar's mask shut.

Thank you. I had to explain not one but two different sci-fi series to a coworker thanks to busting up at this.

8one6
May 20, 2012

[Overthinking CW show]

So this is the Savitar that escaped from an eternity in Barry's Speedforce prison hell thing (I'll take No-Lunch supermax over that fate any loving day) then eventually Barry will also eventually have to deal with the original Savitar who hasn't yet been hell-prisoned.
And then eventually he goes insane* and becomes Savitar and travels back in time to gently caress with Barry, gets imprisoned, breaks out, kills Iris, and gets dealt with again.

Savitar has already proven he has a pretty good recollection of exactly what happened while he was the Flash, so how did he not avoid being captured the first time?
Where are the Time Wraiths?
Where is the Black Flash?
Where were the Timemasters? (gently caress my head hurts)
Where are the Goddamn Legends of Tomorrow!?!
[/Overthinking CW show]

*Obviously at some point the Speed Force clues Barry into the fact that his life sucks because he's a character in a CW show.

8one6
May 20, 2012

nelson posted:

I think all of you are missing the point of the episode which was Caitlin's Iceman Slide. That's the coolest thing I've seen in this or any other series. I also thought it was awesome in Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends when I was a kid, but this is real and that was just a cartoon.

That was goofy, and dumb, and loving sweet! I love when ice characters get goofy 60's comics powers. She needs to capture someone in a snowman at some point.

R-Type posted:

This all seems like a massively convoluted plot to get rid of a useless character.

There are so, so many ways Iris could be a not useless character. gently caress, HR was made not useless.
Also LOL if you think they're killing off the girlfriend for more than half an episode before Barry Flashpoints himself a better timeline again.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Popular opinion says this latest season blows chunks. Confirm or deny?

I just watched the last 1/4 of season 2 solely because I wanted to see how Thawne and the Black Flash all played into one another on Legends of Tomorrow. Earth 2 Harry was great. Everything else... less so.

Right now the ratings are:
Legends of Tomorrow s2 - the best
Flash s1 / Supergirl s1 - A tie for fantastic
Supergirl s2 - great
Flash s3 - Ehh, it's pretty alright
Flash s2 - Dumb, lots pf problems,
Legends of Tomorrow s1 - It was bad, characters were dumb, plot was dump, villain was worse.
Arrow (all) - Cry talking, poor decisions, purestrain CW drama.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Oh man, Flashpoint was GREAT! I just got an hour of Thawne roasting the poo poo out of Barry. I'm a happy camper.

Matt Letscher deserves all the praise.

If you like him as Reverse Flash you need to watch s2 of Legends of Tomorrow.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

That doesn't make any sense, everything else Savitar had done to that point was still in effect. If that's how it worked, then Julian shouldn't have been on the team either.

Julian didn't have his Dr. Alchemy powers any more, just no one bothered to check.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Has Barry considered just swearing to never use time remnants or would that be too easy a solution (and too hard on the writers when they need a source of cheap "Barry's gonna' die!" drama)?

8one6
May 20, 2012

teamcharlie posted:

Wally: We're brothers!

(Bart adorably checks his hand for melanin)

Wally: Oh and Iris, that girl you're engaged to? She's my sister.

Bart: Wait...

Side note: I still don't get how Flashpoint is supposed to have made Barry turn into Savitar. Did the Speedforce dudes just decide to stop killing off time remnants after Barry's time-fuckery? Isn't that their main job?

Well, the speedforce... poo poo.

Ok, so the When the Black Flash....
gently caress.

So Barry used a time remnant to... fight , poo poo.

Uhhhh.... gently caress it!!!

:flashfact: 8one6, it's me, you, from the future!
:c00l: We can travel through time?
:flashfact: You need to not try to explain how the Flash s3 works. You'll just look dumb.
:c00l: Ok, but wouldn't you coming back to warn yourself about not posting this prevent the need for you coming back.
:flashfact: No time to explain!

:flashfact: Oh good, everything is fine no...

quote:

:doom: It's me, the poo poo post, I'm a post remnant!
:flashfact: Wait, how does that...

quote:

:doom: Forums force. I ain't gotta explain poo poo!

quote:

:zoomed:

8one6
May 20, 2012

It's so Cisco can hit her with another happy memory and she rejoins team Flash, maybe after a motivational talk from Snart about being a cold based bad guy and learning to do the right thing, all just in time to wrap up the season.
Also I expect the cheap drama will be Julian being killed because no way he stays on as a member of the team for season 4 and no way they get rid of Wally "Better than Flash in every way" West by killing him or depowering him.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Would be neat if Caitlyn did rejoin but remain killer frost.

That would be the best possible outcome for Killer Frost, so it won't be what happens.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Skychrono posted:

To return to a conversation from a few pages ago - I never bothered watching Legends season one. Hawk people are dumb.

Can I skip right to season two without a problem?

I'd suggest reading a summary of the episodes, but yeah it's safe enough to skip.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Black Flash had been busy with Thawne this season.
It's a time... thing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I can't believe they wrote Caitlyn out into a spin-off that doesn't exist

I want her to end up on LoT as next season's "female character we only have for a season." She can learn that being a cold based character doesn't mean she has to be evil, have a doomed romance with a main character (since Ray and Nate had their turn let's mix it up and have the romance be with Captain Lance), and at the end of the season when they dump her character she can come back to Flash just in time for Season 4 to start.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Barry and Savitar are fighting on the Allen family lawn when Thawne and Future Barry show up. Thawne just shakes his head, mutters "you loving idiots" and leaves.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It'll be a fight like the end of Shocker, but instead of fighting through TV shows; they'll be fighting through great moments in history and Barry will be killing butterflies left and right.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Avalerion posted:

They haven't done the one who gave himself superpowers by teaching himself to spin really fast, have they?

They put a different spin on the TV version of The Top.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Is Black Siren still in there?

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'm rewatching season one. God drat was that a good season.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Hey am I nuts or at one point did they show the cells having a fold away toilet?

I think the Cisco blog mentioned it but they never actually showed it. If I remember correctly there's a communal rec room for the inmates of no-lunch supermax down there as well.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Nullsmack posted:

That is somewhat horrifying.

Is that Turbo Teen? Yeah, you don't know horrifying. He changes into the car when splashed with hot liquid. There was an episode where someone spilled hot soup on him while on a commercial flight so he had to force the door open and jump out so he wouldn't kill people with the transformation.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Barry's normal breakfast includes eggs, toast, bacon, an entire 10 inch chocolate cake and a large Supreme pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

To be fair even with all the problems I'd still take s3 over s2 any day.

• Locked thread