Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I too read it as Barry Hitler

The Flashpoint timeline is more different than Barry anticipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

All I want is a non speedster big bad. That's all I want. Felicity could come in as a regular and I'd still be happy.

Felicity Smoak *is* the big bad. Her metahuman power is to reduce all emotional disagreements to fits of trembling cry-yelling.

She will defeat the Flash, by chastising him into compliance over a garbage 9-episode arc that leaves everyone unhappy.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Murphys Law posted:

Actually, I believe Barry B, after fighting RF, dissuaded Barry C, who was hiding behind a door, with the solemn head shake before carrying A out. Then Barry D shows up, saves mom, Barry C vanishes, and D runs back to the future to start this season. Then E shows up with RF, D is now stopped from saving mom, mom is killed, and D vanishes instead of running back to the future to begin this season.

I couldn't stop laughing when Flashpoint-Thawne showed up with another goddamn knife at the end. Imagining how confused Nora Allen is has become loving hilarious.

Hopefully, Barry will re-Flashpoint time, then un-Flashpoint it a few more times, then pile on some crazy alternate Earth poo poo, so Nora sees Barry kill Reverse-Flash, then another RF kills Barry, then a third RF kills the second one, kisses Nora, and is then vibro-handed by Jay Garrick-as-Henry, who tag-team stabs Nora alongside eyepatch-Barry, before a time-traveling Gorilla Grodd drags her wounded body to the top of a skyscraper.

"Last season, on THE FLASH!"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

greatn posted:

Well we don't know yet. We just know iris and Joe don't talk. She might very well be with Barry.

In this reality, Thawne sliced Nora into pieces so Henry'd get a way more intense sentence. Joe was first on the scene, and it ruined him psychologically throughout Iris' adolescent years.

So, now she doesn't talk to him, but has super hosed up daddy issues that manifest in super gross sex ways. Barry's dating her, but it's once again a doomed wish on a monkey's paw.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

WarLocke posted:

Just have a character (Cisco or Joe maybe) tell Barry "Hey, I changed my mind, tell me what my life was like in the original timeline".

Cisco should already know. That's literally his power.

That and shooting Stargate liquid out of his hands or whatever.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

BreakAtmo posted:

No, they actually pointed out that Harry and Jesse (and everyone not in Earth-1 really) was unaffected by the timeline change. They didn't remember the speed room either, because the last time they saw everyone it was the original timeline (or as close to 'original timeline' as you'll get on this series).

Shouldn't Barry be rapidly forgetting old poo poo and recalling new poo poo? The main dilemma 2 episodes ago was about how Flashpoint time fuckery was eroding his original memories and replacing them with Flashpoint ones. He should probably be remembering the speed room and forgetting...I don't know, King Shark or something?

DCTV has the least consistent time travel rules in fiction. That's a real accomplishment.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

The scenery budget for that show is going to have to be ridiculous.

They combined the scenery and catering budgets in anticipation of Barrowman.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

Hopefully Flashpoint retconned that. Have we even seen the Pipeline this season? Maybe it doesn't exist anymore?

It doesn't. They've since explained that Iron Heights can now contain metas; that's where Mirror Master and the Top were.

It's also why Julian exists. There's actual legal apparatus for dealing with the problem now.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Spergatory posted:

Also, I thought the actual reason Killer Frost is Killer is because she basically has to suck heat from her surroundings (and occasionally living people) in order to keep living. Did they drop the heat vampire side effects, or are those going to come in later?

Earth-2 Killer Frost didn't seem to be one. She was just aces with murdering folks and suddenly super evil. It always seems like a Brotherhood of Mutants thing, where they're instantly social pariahs with superiority chips on their shoulders.

You'd think, being a scientist with a social conscience, she'd realize: "hey, I should think globally and combat climate change. I know a way to stop polar ice erosion..."

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Chokes McGee posted:

Probably "holy poo poo I just lost it and froze a man's arm off" would take precedence :shrug:

I didn't mean, like, that second. Just, in quiet moments where she thinks about her life now. "Should I rob banks and kill people? What else can I do with magic ice powers?"

At least Weather Wizard was already a criminal.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

MiddleOne posted:

I demand a montage of Oliver stealing instant noodles and canned beans from the local supermarket

Next episode, Oliver opens some ramen to find the flavor packet missing.

He travels to the Maruchan factory in Irvine, California to rectify the situation. "You have failed these noodles!"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Koalas March posted:

Ah yes, the black people see racism everywhere fallback. Good one. Whether it was a "clunky" line or not it was racist. You can be racist without the intent, believe it or not.

Yeah, there's not actually a binary of racist vs. not-racist people. People who probably see themselves as non-racist still internalize all kinds of assumptions, and all that poo poo emerges through writing whether someone intends it or not.

And I fully agree that the Jax/Stein dynamic is a little racist at its core. The entire conceit of Firestorm is that these opposites come together for a greater good. But the way that actually looks is that Stein is [brilliant, anxious, book-smart] where Jax is [brash, uneducated, street-smart]. Their entire banter is framed in sociocultural terms, where Stein can't believe Jax doesn't know some academic detail, and Jax calls Stein out as an uptight nebbish who "doesn't get it." It's pure 70's exploitation, and it's instructive to remember that Stein's dynamic with Ronnie was way more about Ronnie's youth and vitality than his class position. Ronnie was an engineer where Jax is a mechanic.

With respect to Wally, I agree with the argument he just isn't a formed character. When they actually turn him into Kid Flash and develop how he differs from Barry as a crimefighter, a lot of things will probably gel about him. Right now, he's burdened with being a conduit for drama who mostly broods about his family, broods about not having powers, and is lectured by anybody and everybody. How could that possibly be fun?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

AbsolutelySane posted:

I could have sworn he vibed the scene we saw, where they fought.

I thought so, as well.

It's too bad these shows are so centrally invested in the titular hero, because they all have rosters of other heroic characters who I'd love to see as protagonists for a plot or two. Killer Frost is an anti-hero at worst, and then there's Vibe and Kid Flash, or Jesse Quick or actual-Jay Garrick. But obviously, Barry has to be the focus of any given plot, because it's his show. An occasional no-Barry episode would be great, as would a Diggle-starring episode of Arrow, or a Manhunter-starring episode of Supergirl. The need to have Barry runs-fast his way to a solution steps on the toes of their world-building, after a point.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

rapeface posted:

I thought Caitlin turned bad because she was merging with her Flashpoint self, who was bad. Isn't that how it's been working?

I guess? She's turning evil because "evil" is some scalar number that ice powers increase, apparently.

At least the heat vampire concept explains why "evil" would be a rational choice. Comics KF is perpetually suffering unless she steals more and more energy, like an opioid addict for heat. That makes her more tragic and less, "a dick for no apparent reason."

Here, it doesn't seem like she *has* to steal heat, just that freezing stuff is a thing she can do, and the more she does it, the more she wants to. It doesn't seem like she'd die or even particularly feel discomfort if she doesn't use her powers. So, what's the problem?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

AbsolutelySane posted:

I just assumed Krypton wasn't destroyed in the Earth 1 universe, hence no Superman or Supergirl.

It was destroyed. But Kara and Kal-El died. Their parents were going to fuel up the escape pods, but a shrinky dude in an exosuit and an assassin lady distracted them.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Guy Goodbody posted:

"Kara, we can't tell Maggie that Alex is gay, it's just too dangerous"

I think Maggie would figure it out at this point.

Definitely, the "don't let Wally be Kid Flash" tension is the current shittiest thing happening on this show. "These demon-aliens are going to destroy the world. Don't let Wally help he could die!" Bitch, so could everyone. At least he has super-speed...anyone who isn't Kara, Barry, or Firestorm is just a regular goddamn person. They could really die.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Rhyno posted:

You're bad at opinions. The Flash is almost universally considered to have the second best collection of villains in all of comics.

Just the names, man.

Captain Cold and Mirror Master might be well-regarded characters, but those names are dumb as poo poo.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Can Savitar only do poo poo when the box is open? Seal it in concrete, drop it into the ocean. Or throw it into space.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

Reverse-Flash converted it into his time chamber.

He only takes a poo poo in Barry's childhood home. There's no bathroom in STAR Labs because Nora and Henry have a stately master bath in 1999.

He never flushes.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Next season of Legends of Tomorrow, Rip Hunter returns with a crew consisting exclusively of Harrison Wells. Thawne, Harry, H.R., the English steampunk one, the mime, and a Hawkman version of Wells. Also there's some kind of H.G. Wells joke in there.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

"Dude, I'm not going to kill Hitler."

"That's bullshit! You'll TOTALLY kill Hitler. If you see Hitler, you're telling me you won't kill Hitler?"

"I get time travel, dude! I won't kill Hitler."

THE LEGENDS BREAK TIME

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Yannick_B posted:

Hair-exposing headpiece/masks might just be a thing live-action will never fully pull off.

The ones covering hair don't seem much better to me, tbh. There's a reason every Captain America movie creates a reason for him to pull off that stupid mask as soon as the plot justifies.

Domino masks look cool, though. Arrow costumes are pretty good in general.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Barry should scour the multiverse to find a super lovely version of Iris. Give her to Savitar, then he's golden.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Rocksicles posted:

Blogger>Reporter>Journalist.

The extremely boring sequel to Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Mr Beens posted:

This is the thing I find infuriating about this show, they constantly just forget about stuff. There is no consistency in their world or characters.

The only thing Barry does faster than run is forget how to do stuff. You'd think "generate lightning," "phase through objects," "super-sonic punch," and "speed duplicate" would be regular parts of the arsenal. But nope!

And Barry consciously changes the future all the time. Like when Vandal Savage murdered all his friends and was seconds from magic-nuking the city. Or that time Barry stopped an approaching tidal wave by arresting the culprit via time travel. He knows for a fact that inevitable-seeming outcomes can be stopped by making different choices.

At least Legends acknowledges that its heroes are dumb assholes.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

"Barry! Pull a Reverse Flash!"

"You mean a speed duplicate?"

"No, vibro-fist, like what he killed me with, the memory of which being why I have PTSD."

"Roger!"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Actually take a daytrip with Iris to earth-2 or any other earth the day she's gonna die.

Recruit the Legends to time travel her a day later, so she literally doesn't exist on any Earth the day-of.

Savitar is Solovar. The fastest ape alive.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Well, if you're making that argument, Central City probably has some good pizza places too. :shrug:

Or just New York.

New York exists, right? It's not some casualty of how DC has weird fake cities everywhere?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Grem posted:

Mmmm, got a good man-love "hey Bare" out of the episode so it's all good.

Though it was kind of menacing this time.

You'd think there'd be more metas who aren't evil. Jay is the only heroic person on Earth-3, so now Jesse has to go there? There's not, like, a good version of Girder or Weather Wizard? It's kind of an unexplored cynicism of the show, that 90% of people granted superhuman power use it to commit crimes.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

My preference is definitely that they kill off Iris and introduce a totally re-conceived multiverse alternate that gives Candice Patton something to work with.

Nobody said he winds up with *this* Earth's Iris West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Savitar is literally Greg Berlanti. The last few episodes become unbearably meta, as Berlanti-Savitar wins by writing the plot of Barry's reality that way.

He recruits Killer Frost with an ultimatum: join me and get a spinoff series on Freeform. Refuse, and be killed off in the mid-season finale of Legends. After loving a returned Hawkman in a 4-episode arc.

• Locked thread