Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Koalas March posted:

That's unfortunate because all media is impactful (See: "Iris West looks like me, I'm beautiful") and literally all media impacts people's perceptions. Like I've literally posted more than one article about why Iris is important, why race in the show is important and what i means to young fans, but gently caress that I guess???

Nobody here is saying Iris is ugly, I'm sure on twitter, tumblr and wherever else you regularly visit people hate her because they're racist or sexist etc.

But from a purely story perspective her character is pretty boring. Can they make her a super hero or something and make her interesting at least? Or do we have to live with lovely storylines about a love interest who impacts the story in no meaningful way.

Whatever, it's got to have that boring teen drama otherwise it wouldn't be a WB show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Well holy crap this looks potentially cool:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/arrow-flash-supergirl-legends-tomorrow-933699

They're talking up the special effects and prosthetics too which is exciting, and with over 3 hours to work with this could end up being extremely cool.

I'm hoping it ties in with the flashpoint stuff, but who knows. I'm just excited to see DC rocking television, just wish they could do the same thing for their movies. I want some justice league action!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I think he stepped back a bit intentionally to put some distance between him and Harry Potter.

Also, he suffers from child actor disease, what once was a cute and adorable yet precocious child turns into something else entirely. The ravages of time and genetics turn those afflicted into a distant reminder of once was. Features that accentuated their cuteness in their youth only serve to make their misshapen heads and bodies look more grotesque. (see: Macaulay Culkin, Haley Joel Osment, Danny Bonaduce and more)

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

TLG James posted:

What a loving waste of flashpoint.

I wanted a battle raged world, supergirl, and arrow in one.

Instead we get

The Flash: ButterflyEffect

Yeah, it was kind of disappointing, perfectly fine episodes but not what flashpoint could have been. Especially considering the addition of Supergirl to the DC CW line-up, add in a Constantine appearance too, for good measure.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, that's the issue right there. They're not going to hijack 2 other series outright (Legends presumably could have worked in the framework) to tell a Flash story. Like you're an Arrow fan and you tune in from last season to find Ollie dead and his father running around in the suit or whatever and every few episodes the Flash shows up to whine about how he ruined the timeline. So you're options are:

1) do it season-long but half-rear end it - you'd have to make super minor changes to not piss off fans of the other shows which means you're basically again not even really doing it. This is also kind of what we're getting right now anyway.

2) do it season-long but isolate it to the Flash - well maybe Legends could fit into the framework since they're outside of time anyway. And actually you could have Supergirl's show be normal but Flash is like "great scott you're part of our universe now!" (but then again even then you're not doing a ruined Flashpoint timeline). So maybe just Arrow is isolated to its own thing. But then you get this flowchart of like, Arrow can only cross-over with Legends maybe since they're shifting between timelines, but otherwise the other 2 are off-limits for Arrow. So it's a trade-off of not being able to do the big 4 series crossover, or smaller crossovers between just two shows, and again, things still have to be somewhat "normal" for it to work.

3) do this as the big series crossover - this is what I would have preferred but then again it would have been really cool for Flash fans and potentially just confusing or boring for fans of the other shows. Like, again, you're watching arrow and then at the end of some episode there's a flash of light and things are different and it's like "find out what happens next in: Flashpoint!" And now you're watching a different show with no stakes for you and it's mostly about The Flash.

But yeah, I don't think we were ever gonna get a proper Flashpoint just like we didn't get a proper Civil War because even though everyone likes to talk up the shared universes, we are just not at the point they were in the comics when they launched these big storylines that crossed over into a dozen series each and played off decades of shared history.

Although to be perfectly frank I am not a huge fan of the Flashpoint storyline anyway, since it basically erased the timeline I was familiar with and brought in the mostly boring New 52, and the novelty of seeing evil Wonder Woman and Aquaman didn't really matter to me. I think we could have shelved the "Flashpoint" moniker for later and then this wouldn't have been as disappointing a premiere to some of its fans, but I am kinda glad its off the table.

I think it could've done just fine isolated to just the Flash, it is an alternate timeline so it doesn't matter if the other shows acknowledge it.

I just wanted to see a JL team up of some sort, across maybe a couple episodes at least. And not in the way they did it last season where green arrow appears from the shadows with a well placed arrow shot and then he goes back home.

The flash/supergirl crossover was literally "hey, I'm here from an alternate universe", doing something like that would've been fine for flashpoint.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Three seasons in, it's confirmed that Caitlyn has a family and a backstory

At least it's not a lame back story!

Also I'm digging Draco more this episode, when he was telling his story I half expected him to describe leaving england and magic behind to embrace science.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

I mean, there wasn't as much of the typical melodrama at all. it was more a recap of the last five years in the form of an alien simulation. lots of good bits of acting in there

I just think the concept is funny. The writers could have made the episode about heroes escaping from an alien ship, instead they decide the most exciting thing they can do is put all their heroes in a soap opera simulator.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I thought that scene was pretty hilarious, Flash and Supergirl team up to beat up a defenseless woman.

nine-gear crow posted:

Each show is playing to its premise's strength / audience's tastes. Arrow's all about girtty melodrama, so they're basically forced to write what amounts to a bottle show in a soap opera simulator so that people tuning into the show expecting it to just be another episode of Arrow aren't driven away by Flash/Supergirl/Legends' colourful whimsy and crazy. It just means that they're gonna go balls out for Legends tomorrow because that's the bugfuck craziest of the four shows, so it'll be playing to its audience's expectations rather than Flash/Arrow/Supergirl's.

I get it, the dream world/matrix idea made it easy for them to make sure they don't affect their continuity in any meaningful way. Totally a bottle episode.

It is really fun to see how each show differs in tone and writing. It reminds me of crossover events in comic books with different writers writing each part of the event.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 1, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Carlosologist posted:

the Cisco thing is definitely worse than the Kid Flash thing, but they're almost even. like, they took the most fun character on the show and are making him overly melodramatic for no reason at all

my god, they're pulling a Felicity

Well, there is a "good reason", but they didn't have to create that reason at all. They could've changed something less dramatic.

Personally I wouldn't be so worried about time travel, it's not like these people ever knew a different life. Nothing changed for them, they just know that things could have been different.... which is the exact state everyone is constantly in even when time travel isn't involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Xealot posted:

Can Savitar only do poo poo when the box is open? Seal it in concrete, drop it into the ocean. Or throw it into space.

These are Jumanji rules man, as Cisco pointed out, the box wants to be found.

The real problem is that they can do whatever they want with the box but it won't change poo poo, they didn't "win". Savitar said he was put in the box by Barry in the future, so why are they so concerned with preventing the box from re-opening? What they really should've done is figure out how the box works so that they could skip all the crazy poo poo that's going to happen and just lock him in the box when he shows up in the future.

• Locked thread