Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Hooray, I was hoping you would do an LP of this.

Starbase, Physics, Military

Dear Senator,

I know how you value the input of the people of the Democratic People's Free State of Texas and want to weigh in on this whole space thing. We need a gigantic space station with lasers and missiles on it. Not for oppressive purposes but I read in the global interwebs that it is believed that a cabal of bigwigs from one of those big super governments I saw in that one documentary took off in a spaceship and are living on the surface of Jupiter. They are probably plotting to come back and steal our freedoms again. This space station will create lots of jobs and be able to shoot them if they come back.

I think we need to tell our eggheads to figure out a way to cut down our hours. I slave away for 25 hours a week at my job and I think if we develop super robot factories that can make stuff for us we will have more time for important things like War of Texas Independence reenactments and clay pigeon shooting with those new laser gun things.

As for exploration we need to go out there and make sure them stars are safe. I am worried that those Roswell greys or gigantic space bears or insect hive mind aliens or gigantic rock lava creatures or predatory space cats are out there and want to kill or enslave us all and take away our freedom. My son Cletus who just graduated from Oxford insists that that is very unlikely and we are more likely to meet virus aliens or weird space dragons out there and not human aliens. Still, either way we need ships with space guns. Plus it will help deal with those evil oppressors hiding on Jupiter.

Respectfully,
Jose Bergerson,
Proud Texan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Poil posted:

Surely that has never stopped anyone from voting? Who cares if you haven't got the slightest clue what anything will do later on and what strategies are the best? Just go with what you think will be good and it will be good. :v:

This I voted sub-optimally and plan to continue to do so.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Dear Senator,

Me again, we need to take decisive action. The finding of that space container proves that the aliens that helped the Egyptians build the pyramids in that documentary are still out there. I suspect that are snake aliens that burrow into human necks and make our eyes glow and want to enslave us all.

We must begin mining operations as soon as possible. While these fancy labs sound wonderful we know the enemy is out there and need more money to buy warships to deal with them. Plus I hear you are building some neat egghead facilities on Earth so we will need some money to run the thing. These new hydroponic gardens sound wonderful, the kind of thing a simple man of the soil like myself can work in with built-in air conditioning. It is hot outside and this would make our jobs easier.

As impressive as a good laser blast are my smarter son says that without effective computing assistance they will not be able to hit the broad side of the moon. Is it true they set in there and manually point the little guns? We also need to build more nukes. I went to the museum at Hiroshima last year with my wife Ethel and saw how effective they can be. Still don't understand why we dropped the bomb on the nice Japanese folk though. The museum said they were invited into Korea and moved into China to stabilize it and we here in the old States cut off their energy supply. Not sure what they were thinking back then but luckily we are smarter now.

I propose this ship I drew up while Ethel and I were having pancakes at Denny's this morning:

Texas Class
Basic Armor and Drive (10p)
4 Nuclear Missiles (20p)
1 Nuclear Bomb (4p)
3 point defense Lasers (3p)

Respectfully,
Jose Bergerson,
Proud Texan

I prefer asteroid mines to keep money production up over research asteroids that suck it away and give an equivalent amount of science. I also find building and growing to be more important in the early game. I prefer farms to kickstart food production. The sooner you fill the planet the sooner you get industry humming and the sooner you have extra population to make into scientists.

Early beam weapons are horrible inaccurate at hitting fast targets (everything we will fight unless fighting a fixed target) until you get a computer system. Missiles are king. Point defenses keep them away. A bomb rack can be useful for the early enemy you may encounter where bombs help and means you do not have to design a new ship or bigger hull to deal with them. Augmented engines increase closure with the enemy which is not needed with missile racks. This craft stays in missile range and tries to maintain long distance so enemy weapons cannot fire. Missile racks also fire while you are facing the other way and give you 360 degree fire.

Asteroid Mine, Hydroponic Farms, Texas Class Frigate

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 28, 2016

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

nweismuller posted:

The proposed Texas Class is over displacement by one missile tube or bomb bay. Either cut down missile tubes to 4 or lose the bomb bay, please.

Revising to 4 missiles.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Libluini posted:

I have to continue supporting my own Lancer-design since it's the only proposal with lasers the chiefs of staff seem to like. (Of course the Lancer still uses missiles, but more as a support at long range until the ship closes, not as main weapon.)

Anyway, if we end up going with one of the pure missile-designs I will laugh so hard if the first enemy your missile-ships meet is some abomination decked out in dozens of point defense lasers.

If that happens we just did not send enough missile frigates.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Libluini posted:

Exactly my point. It will never be enough missile frigates before they're all dead and the nukes drop on Earth. Better to go with the laser-option and avoid the worst-case scenario by good planning.

I do not see how inaccurate laser popguns alter the equation in any way.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Theantero posted:

Xenocides seems to actually know the game mechanics, so I wonder why he chose not to put the better engines on his craft even though they are supposed to maintain long distance? Is in-battle maneuvering not so important then? Gimme some sweet starship build strats.

I have played the game quite a bit but I am not sure my strategy is the best but I find it works. I left out the engines because kiting generally does not work for long. The battle map is constrained so if you are fighting smaller ships they can corner you. If you are fighting larger ships you will outrun them in any case.

As for bombs as has been said you need bombs for ground attacks unlike in previous MOO games. If you want to wipe out enemy colonies efficiently you need a lot of them. In previous MOO games your average fleet even without bombs can wipe out a developed colony in a turn. Now that takes time. It takes even longer against planetary shields.

I do not always put bombs on my frigates. I make that decision based on how quickly I plan to get destroyer tech. There are also ground targets in this game unlike previous MOOs that you will want to bomb in the early game outside of fighting an enemy race.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Dear Senator,

I think we should focus on farms. My grandpappy used to say a field without a farmer is useless and I assume the same is true of a mine. We need to repopulate. We probably need to ban birth control and work on mandatory minimums for childbearing. I assume your eggheads are working on ways to make sure gay couples can have their own children too. My three wives and my husband and I are trying to do our part. If we are going out there we will need numbers.

I say we research new electronics. My smart son says there are some smart types working on a system that will let our explorers scan a whole system without the tedium of having to visit each planet one by one and that this is the key. This will keep our explorers safer from those evil outcasts as they can pop in and move right on out instead of staying around out in the field like a cow with wolves closing in.

I read up on those old wars and one of our freedom-loving ships can smash many of those fascist Hitler types. We need to get a ship built to go out there and claim some new planets. Soon we can bring our freedoms throughout the whole galaxy. We can build more warships later. For now we have those pew-pew little defense stations being built. Those were sure a bright idea.

We should send that ship to Tarazad. Many of our people suffer from wanderlust and we need new frontiers to explore.

Respectfully,
Jose Bergerson,
Proud Texan

Farms, Electronics, Colony Ship, Tarazad

Electronics for Deep Scanner. The probably Magnetism to get our first shields. I find they make a huge difference in winning early combats. Farms because we will need more population for our colony ship, colony ship because one frigate can hold the line for now, and Tarazad is the best planet followed by Etana Prime. Plus if we can get those two planets quickly only two additional defense platforms will be needed to seal off our space.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Poil posted:

Ah, but if we go computers now we can justify spending a lot of money on cool bean weapons and poo poo later on.

Unless we are going full-war monger mode (doubt it) we will probably be able to acquire a better computer tech (and they are not cumulative) before we are at war and if we really need Electronic Computers we will probably meet someone we can trade with to get it in any case.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

nweismuller posted:

Space monsters date at least back to Master of Orion 2; pirates had an implementation in MoO2 that was just 'station ships in this system to stop losing freighters and getting your trade income tanked' as one of the possible random events in that game (another was getting a chunk of your treasury spontaneously stolen by pirates). I forget if any piracy implementation existed as one of the random events in Master of Orion 1. Either way, the monsters in this game are simply continuing the legacy of MoO2, and I imagine the pirates are an attempt to make the original pirate random events look more interesting with actual ships and bases.

MOO1 had space monsters but they were all marauders that went from system to system destroying things. Some of them are very nasty, especially the ones almost immune to missilies, the only planetary defense the game had other then ships.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

ManxomeBromide posted:

MoO 1 and MoO 2, at least, and it seems NuMoO as well, are all essentially re-telling the same story. This idea that all of them running in series, with a brutal Pax Humanica and the rest, exists only in the MoO 3 manual.

This may be why people who didn't play MoO 3 first give it so much side-eye, actually; it's kind of like if Civ VI were to try to justify its weird collection of civilizations and leaders by saying that this is the far future after Humanity nuked itself back into the stone age 5 times.

I was following the game when it was first being hyped. The backstory was very odd. There was even a fiction piece about how the Antarans believed they had discovered the way to transcendence (that actually led to death) that wiped out most of their species. The survivors declared themselves the New Orions and formed the Council system in MOO3 to keep the other species in check that seemed like a fun idea but did not work in practice due to subpar programming.

I kind of wish they had implemented more council options in this game but it also might have ruined the game so maybe it was a good thing.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Dear Senator,

I keep hearing neat things about these new Star Trek shield things. We should work on magnets to make more of them.

Congrats on bombing those fascists hiding out and ridding the stars of them. We need more starships. While these bears seem friendly they seem to like fighting too. We should make sure they do not want to start anything. Political power grows out of the launch tubes of space missiles.

We have no need for espionage now. As much as I love a spy thriller them bears don't seem like they would be especially good at infiltrating our planets and vice-versa unless you get the mascot costume for our local Dallas Gravball team and make the spies wear those. GO GRIZZLIES!

We should have the scout keep finding more good planets to add to our glorious Republic. We should send our ship with the super bombs to look for more fascist commie pirates. Looks like there is money in that.

Respectfully,
Jose Bergerson,
Proud Texan

Advanced Magnetism (Shields) and cancel current research, yes on more warships, no on spy center, go pirate hunting for goodies.

I am a big fan of early shields as ships with them can usually fry ships without them. We need more ships before the AI looks at our military force differential and the bears come to get us, a couple of frigates at a military outpost on the border should keep them out. At this point unless we want to antagonize the Bulrathi we should not spy on them leaving our spies purely for defensive work and I doubt they are going to be aggressive with spies right now. Kill pirates for the money and other goodies as the civilian scout can keep looking around. We are nearly at the edge of where we are going to want to colonize in the short-term in any case.

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 8, 2016

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

nweismuller posted:

E: Xenocides, BTW, you didn't specify what to do about Biotechnology in your post, can you clarify on that point?

Think you got the wrong poster. I am advocating for shields.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

nweismuller posted:

Thing is, I pretty much have to be enjoying playing to be enjoying writing, and what I like in 4Xs is very much the Numbers Go Up Utopia/Internal Development/So Much Trade playstyle. And I frankly can't bring myself to actually do orbital bombardment in MoO2 anymore- not for many years now. This might make me a bit predictable, I'll confess, but I hope it's enjoyable to people nonetheless.

I rarely use it. Not only is there a moral issue but it is wasteful to blow up all that infrastructure and slaves or new citizens depending on how you are playing.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

nweismuller posted:

I'm starting to suspect that nuMoO AI has a strong streak of military opportunism. They liked us, and thought we were weak and worth working over for all our lunch money.

Yeah, it is very good at comparing military strength. How friendly they are with you acts as a modifier to whether they will attack but if the military balance slips too far they will attack unless they are facing some other foe.

This is the main reason I suggested rushing shields. I can sometimes take out five or six early frigates with a military outpost if I have shields that keep replenishing.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

There is still a chance. I would research shields quickly and finish that starbase on the homeworld. Then put up a missile base and then start cranking out frigates. If you also research shields you might be able to draw them into a battle and win. Then rebuild the outpost and put more ships on it.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

Inside every Bulrathi is a good, democracy-loving Republic citizen just waiting to be liberated AND START PAYING TAXES. What's the point in fighting a war if you don't get to take all the other guy's things? (Although I'll admit I haven't really dabbled in espionage much - do planets become much easier to take over when they're in revolt? Because if so causing a revolt and THEN invading sounds way nicer than trying to win a stand-up fight against the best ground combat race in the game.)

Planets in revolt leave the controlling empire for a number of turns (20 I believe) and then rejoin. During their time outside the empire they do not produce but maintain their regular defenses. You can end a revolt sooner by invading them to get them to rejoin or another player can conquer them as well.

It is possible to eliminate an enemy empire by putting all of their planets into revolt. I did this once as the Darloks to an enemy empire reduced to two planets. The planets then stay on revolt status forever until another group reoccupies them. Unless this has been changed since the beta I played that game in.

It is unlikely to be a workable strategy in this case. Revolt missions are difficult. Usually they will fail. Getting them to succeed simultaneously on all Bulrathi worlds to put them all in revolt is a long shot crapshoot. In any case it would take a lot of spies which take time to train. Even if reduced to one world it will most likely take a long time to get a successful revolt going.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Powered Armor

It can be useful for both offensive and defensive operations due to its relative compactness. Ever tried to move a battalion of tanks by starship?

In the last war there was little in the way of man-to-man combat but would you want to fight an armored bear without Power Armor?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Rawkking posted:

Is it possible to retreat in this game once you get into tactical combat? The button always seems greyed out to me.

Sometimes you cannot retreat in the late game. This means the enemy fleet has a warp dissipater. Lost a pair of Titan-sized ships due to that once.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Danny Glands posted:

Guys... I just had this thought... what if Bulrathi in the Republic get their hands on honey

They will break into our homes, eat all the honey, and then get stuck in the doorway trying to get out. I am assuming they are bears of very little brain though.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

nweismuller posted:

Approximately, yes. Maybe closer to .6 for the Klackon and Darlok Administration and more like .35-.4 for the High Queendom of the Mrrshan.

E: My personal guess is that it's likely that the Sacred Kingdom and the FPQ are not at war, or, if so, have only gone to war recently- the much larger total population and economy of their pair of civilisations compared to everybody else suggests they've had a lot fewer resources bled off to fighting than everybody else. I can't confirm, but this is my suspicion.

If you click on an alien race in the diplomacy menu you can see a web of their status with other nations and know who is at war with who. The game does not always announce changes.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Because "Just paying" them involves relinquishing the fruits of decades of research in exchange for the possibly extremely temporary permission to walk across their lawn. We're playing a tech superiority race, giving our advantage away for such a paltry benefit is really dumb.

The Psilon Quanta gain little from gaining tech as they do not have to make tech choices. They cannot skip ahead on the tech tree so unless you give them something way above their tech level they were going to get it soon anyways.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

nweismuller posted:

Hah! Anyhow, any xenology thoughts now that we have clearer information on the Darloks?

They seem like nice folks. They play power games but they keep it reasonably civil. Plus, think of the opportunities afforded by allowing Darloks in. They can shapeshift. Think what the entertainment industry could do with them as actors. Bringing back dead actors to play parts, the opportunities in adult productions boggle the mind. The shifting doubtless has applications in scientific research, espionage, industry, and all kinds of applications.

They are obviously scared. It is in their biology. We need to reach out to them and let them know they do not need to be afraid. We are friendly and if we show them this I think the Darloks would make fine allies.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Montegoraon posted:

Just out of curiosity, what would it take at this point to defeat that battleship guarding Orion?

Better tech. If you go up the tech tree evenly then I usually start considering it about the time I get battleship tech but you need a pretty large fleet to take it. If you get to the top of the tech tree a single doomstar works.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

MechaCrash posted:

If you can build Doom Stars, you don't really need Orion anymore. It's the usual bonus boss issue: you need to be strong enough that you can pull it off, but if you wait too long, the reward is pointless because you already have better stuff, or at least the scale of upgrade is far less significant.

It still helps a bit. Death Rays and Xenotronium armor are still a boost but the advantage is obviously not as high as getting them earlier.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

I Put forth the motion to build AS MANY SHIPS as we need to zerg the battleship and take orion.

I don't think we have the command points to put together a big enough zerg fleet yet. I got the achievement for taking Orion by Turn 150 but that took putting everything into prepping for it from the beginning and I am pretty sure Nweiss is playing on a longer game setting where tech advances come more slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Too late for League of Minimally Sentient Races?

• Locked thread