Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Whether prisons are effective is irrelevant; the stated purpose of imprisonment is to punish the guilty and time displacement is a much lighter and more pointless punishment than our current system. Plus it doesn't make sense even if you go full cynic, because you can't get any forced labor out of prisoners in storage, either.

That's one of my main problems with Remember Me, the prisons in Neo Paris work by having all of your memories extracted for the duration of your incarceration, and you get them put back when you're let out with absolutely no memory of your time while you were actually in the prison.

So of course all of the prison guards rape the female inmates basically non-stop because they're not even cogent enough to understand the concept of consent. And one of the main villains has started using all of those literally mindless inmates to build a slave army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

pun pundit posted:

The American prison system has a stated purpose of rehabilitation. It's terrible at it. The stated purpose is not what needs to change, it's the system.

The system in altered carbon is probably even less effective at that goal. Which makes me think it's deliberately set up that way by the author. The real goal of the system is probably time-displacing criminals out of the living memory of the crime in question. If the corporation that runs the prison can make some extra bucks out of bidding wars over sleeves, so much the better.

Time displacement is terrible at even keeping criminals out of society, because life expectancy doesn't change and so after the first sentences are completed all it does is swap past criminals in for current ones.

I'm not convinced that prison is ever going to be a useful vector for rehabilitation. But the Altered Carbon approach has the advantage of at least not concentrating criminals together in an environment where they are basically forced to network with one another and stand a good chance of picking up additional contacts and criminal skills (not to mention potentially indebting themselves to people they'll have to pay back on the outside), while simultaneously avoiding the severe psychological consequences of prolonged isolation. And it's conceivable it might be more of a deterrent because sentences are much longer and you potentially lose your body - yes, you'll get another one, but IIRC most people don't go around resleeving on a whim - after all, one of the big features of Envoy conditioning is the ability to handle regular resleeving without much impact. Most people don't have that!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I guess my perspective is different from yours since I live in a nation with a prison system recidivism rate of ~20%. The features you describe do not describe all prison systems.

That's a good point about resleeving. Simultaneously that makes it that much more important to get your original sleeve back, which means you're willing to pay more for it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Email: RESIST THEM, NIA
Email: RE: I'm programming blind here!
Email: Simply unbelievable
Book: Down to Cases
Email: Project Araneola
Book: Reimagining Retinal Implants
Email: Hangar 18

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I still can't see "Chrysalid" without wanting to run the other direction while tossing enough firepower to level a city block behind me.

:xcom:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Megan is a total monster, I really doubt that it took any real effort to get her to collaborate. Adam is totally blind to it because he loves her, but gently caress man she's as deep in this as Zhao and is as guilty as Zhao is.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The terminal is a Megadeth reference. "MSTAINE" and "Dave One/Dave Two" = Dave Mustaine, the lead singer. The lyrics are also referred to in the body of the email. You're in Hangar 18!

Any reason you're not taking the laser rifle for later?

Edit: I want to say that the launch sequence code is a Star Trek 3 reference.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 24, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
How many times have you used Snow in Summer in one of your lectures, Bobbin?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is a Man not entitled to the sweat of his genes?!

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

God drat it Adam, why are you so stupid in cutscenes?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Funny thing: in the intro Megan was wearing a silly neo-renaissance outfit because she was going to a news conference. The other scientists wore lab scrubs. Six months later, they are still wearing the same outfits. Also, Koss doesn't sound at all like his nationality would suggest.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"[blank] doesn't sound at all like his nationality would suggest" is kind of a Deus Ex tradition at this point, though.

I speel my driiink

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Kopijeger posted:

Funny thing: in the intro Megan was wearing a silly neo-renaissance outfit because she was going to a news conference. The other scientists wore lab scrubs. Six months later, they are still wearing the same outfits. Also, Koss doesn't sound at all like his nationality would suggest.

Well it's not like they had time to pack before being violently kidnapped... there aren't many clothing outfits on this secret Singaporean black site, either.

I'm not sure I'd call Megan and the other scientists 'monsters' though their ideological blinders, and being stuck in isolation for so long, made them susceptible to the suggestions that their captors were right and they should help them. Using Hugh Darrow - a figure most of them trusted - to help sway them probably didn't hurt either. Especially if Megan was being led to believe she could help undermine the organization that had taken them hostage. In a way I guess he was telling the truth though.

Also, since it was the topic of a video earlier in this LP, some people may be interested know that Ready Player One is being adapted into a movie. Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of the book and if the movie wasn't being directed by Spielberg I wouldn't even give it a second look but I am somewhat interested to see how it's going to turn out. Especially since it's full of pop-culture references most people probably aren't going to get.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

How many times have you used Snow in Summer in one of your lectures, Bobbin?

Three or four at least. It's nice and atmospheric, plus it's five minutes long and that's the sweet spot I aim for with each of my segments.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Also, since it was the topic of a video earlier in this LP, some people may be interested know that Ready Player One is being adapted into a movie. Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of the book and if the movie wasn't being directed by Spielberg I wouldn't even give it a second look but I am somewhat interested to see how it's going to turn out. Especially since it's full of pop-culture references most people probably aren't going to get.

I did mention this back when I analyzed it. I've seen the preview and I'll at least say this: it looks exactly like how I pictured these scenes in my head. That doesn't mean it's good or bad necessarily, but at least it's got that much going for it. Hopefully Spielberg and the second screenwriter will bring that self-critical edge the book was lacking.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 25, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Megan is a total monster, I really doubt that it took any real effort to get her to collaborate. Adam is totally blind to it because he loves her, but gently caress man she's as deep in this as Zhao and is as guilty as Zhao is.

Megan's monster-hood is extrapolated on in Mankind Divided. To the point that even Sarif agrees that it's probably best to write her off.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Cyberpunk Corner runs a little long this time since Altered Carbon is a long, complicated book.

Going back to this, I'd mostly agree with you that the themes could stand to be better explored, though as noted this sort of occurs in the two sequels. But you've got a major argument going on based on a fundamental misunderstanding about the connection between brain and cortical stack, so I figured I'd address it. You've got the impression that a cortical stack can override someone's brain functions, which would have weird implications for the business of Ryker's prior nicotine addiction and for the business of the interface between flesh and machine (so to speak). But this isn't true; cortical stacks are presented as read-only, save
usually for the circumstances of backup and resleeving. (In the latter situation, nanites or some other expensive technology rewrite a sleeve's brain to correspond to the implanted cortical stack.) Even in a simulspace (such as the VR torture session), your meat brain is still in control, albeit with the possibility of time dilation due to not needing to deal with sensory input and motor output on comparatively slow neurons. The only situation, as presented in-setting, in which a cortical stack is directly in control of someone's mind is when it's not otherwise hooked up to anything biological.

As for the situation with Kovacs in Ryker's body, keep in mind that addiction can have some physical components, particularly in the case of nicotine. Upon reflection I'm not certain whether the level of addiction faced by Kovacs corresponds to what should actually be occurring (physical component but no mental component), but there would at least be some effects on that body.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I can understand why Jaron Namir went with Naked Muscle Man Boss as his aesthetic (intimidation, coolness), but where is his penis?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

As for the situation with Kovacs in Ryker's body, keep in mind that addiction can have some physical components, particularly in the case of nicotine. Upon reflection I'm not certain whether the level of addiction faced by Kovacs corresponds to what should actually be occurring (physical component but no mental component), but there would at least be some effects on that body.

The problem is that the "physical component" of addiction is still within the brain and still survived what's supposed to be a brain rewrite, especially since his addiction as described extends beyond nicotine withdrawal. Plus even that much should have been cleared since nicotine affects receptors in the brain and starving these receptors causes the withdrawal. Pheromones are all brain-based, too. That's what started me thinking there's something troubling about this whole process.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I can understand why Jaron Namir went with Naked Muscle Man Boss as his aesthetic (intimidation, coolness), but where is his penis?

"Men like us, we never get back the things we love."

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kurieg posted:

Megan's monster-hood is extrapolated on in Mankind Divided. To the point that even Sarif agrees that it's probably best to write her off.

If it's okay with Bobbin, could you spoil this for me? I don't really plan on getting MD myself.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

:siren: This thread is rated A for All Spoilers Allowed. This means for Mankind Divided, too, since I'd have to be a hypocrite to not want to hear about a game I haven't played.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

If it's okay with Bobbin, could you spoil this for me? I don't really plan on getting MD myself.

After Panchea, Sarif is incapacitated due to whatever magical means he uses to Survive Panchea, and TYM buys the company out from underneath him while he's unconcious. Sarif turns to Megan to try and help him put the pieces of his empire back together but she jumps ship to Versalife. When adam calls up Sarif he tells adam "You want my advice son, write her out of your life, because she's sure as hell written us out of hers."

Later you find out that she's working with Versalife on a CRISPR that would inject Adam's Neruopyzyne independence into everyone's genome, but in it's current state just causes total organ rejection. You intercept a phone call between her and Bob Page where she goes on about how "he can't use the Orchid in the state it's currently in." and Bob soothes her with some platitudes.

Note this happens after you see at least one person die from the Orchid, then you get injected with the Orchid immediately afterwards(you survive, because it's trying to target gene expressions you don't have), and the final boss battle is someone trying to use Orchid on the UN.

It's implied that Orchid is what later becomes the Gray Death.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Guess I remembered wrong- I was of the opinion it that it only applied to Human Revolution for some reason .

:stare: Good God, Adam, you sure know how to pick 'em don't you?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

:stare: Good God, Adam, you sure know how to pick 'em don't you?

Remember, she got Adam hired at Sarif so that she could have unlimited/legal access to his genetic material for her testing. She may think she's doing the right thing, but she's a sociopath.

I'm thinking Sarif looked so hard into Adam's background because of that, why the gently caress is his lead geneticist insisting he hire her police officer boyfriend this badly.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't recall if they ever (explicitly) go into the reasons Adam was hired or why Megan vouched for him beyond their personal relationship (and remember, they did date so Adam could be just as psycho as she is). And really there is a lot of their backstory left unexplained or hidden away in sidequests that leave you to just infer what happenes. Also, Adam spent 6 months in a coma then recovering from his injuries so for him he's still stuck in the past whereas by now most other people have had time to move on.

It's not like Sarif is any less guilty, there's plenty of occasions where he tries to redirect you, change topics or just blows you off. Not to mention his very deep connections with Darrow. The company's motto may as well been "The Road to Hell is Paved With Good Intentions."

Again, I don't think Megan was a monster. Just blinded her ideology, was easily misled as a result and focused more on becoming famous through her discovery. That's what was on her mind the night of the attack.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It's not like Sarif is any less guilty, there's plenty of occasions where he tries to redirect you, change topics or just blows you off. Not to mention his very deep connections with Darrow. The company's motto may as well been "The Road to Hell is Paved With Good Intentions."

I think Sarif's main problem is that as much as he wants people to trust him, he doesn't trust them back. Part of it possibly being because (as we'll see later) he's aware of forces beyond his control trying to screw with him, and also because he might feel he's the smartest man in the room. As a result he ends up doing very stupid things that put him, his employees, and his company and jeopardy, and doesn't own up to it unless he's backed into a corner. His connections to Darrow only become suspect upon finding out that Darrow was playing everyone from the start. The Illuminati, Tai Yong, Sarif, Megan, everyone. I do honestly think that Sarif did want to make augmentation available for all, but ruins that under his lack of trust and his business sense coming into conflict with his humanitarian sense.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Again, I don't think Megan was a monster. Just blinded her ideology, was easily misled as a result and focused more on becoming famous through her discovery. That's what was on her mind the night of the attack.

I'm not sure I agree, seeing as how she doesn't think the people who kidnapped her are bad even though she was most likely witness to them gunning down several people during said kidnapping, not to mention directly witnessing Namir throwing Adam through a plate glass window and shooting him in the head. As Mankind Divided shows, she continues to be ignorant of what's being done with her research when at that point she should really know better.

Also the fact that she deflects Adam's question about whether or not she's willingly helping her kidnappers, and being all "Don't worry, Hugh's our side, it's why I worked with him on this" right before he fucks the world super hard out of his bitterness at being incompatible with augmentation and feeling powerless to stop its abuse. If she isn't a monster (which is debatable) she is a terrible judge of character and continues to be so. If she's putting more focus on being famous over doing what's right for the most people, that's...sort of monstrous in and of itself. But again that can be debated."

Human Revolution is sort of a tragedy. If Hugh had actually worked with Sarif and gone against the Illuminati (don't ask me how, just pretend he could), they could've solved the Neuropozyne problem and possibly even allowed Hugh to finally be augmented. But again, this is a prequel, and we know how this has to end.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 25, 2017

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh hey, I've read The Chrysalids - ages ago. I'd forgotten what it was called or who it was by (though perhaps I shouldn't have since I've also read Day of the Triffids, plus The Midwich Cuckoos and probably others).

I always remembered the bit at the end where Petra realises they're approaching a city full of telepaths and lets out an excited telepathic "squeal", freaking out every telepath in the city.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBwPIFncng0

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Will you do Mankind Divided after this?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Will you do Mankind Divided after this?

I prefer variety, plus I've been using a Patreon poll to pick my next option. Also I still haven't gotten around to playing it even though I got like half a dozen copies for Christmas.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

I prefer variety, plus I've been using a Patreon poll to pick my next option. Also I still haven't gotten around to playing it even though I got like half a dozen copies for Christmas.

...does your family watch your lectures?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I prefer variety

Aww yeah can't wait for Huniepop: The Lecture Series :v:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Aww yeah can't wait for Huniepop: The Lecture Series :v:

Would make for a very interesting literature corner.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PS: RE: ---
Email: Mercury Insta-Messaging Autosave
Email: THIS IS NOT A TEST
PS: Temporary Living Quarters
Email: Login and Password?
Book: Iron Oceans
PS: (No Subject)

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
... OK, but going back to the earlier point for a second, how do you get six copies of the same game? Passionate fans buying it on Steam? Family who never asked each other what they were getting? A desperate need to inflate the sales numbers?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

GoneRampant posted:

... OK, but going back to the earlier point for a second, how do you get six copies of the same game? Passionate fans buying it on Steam? Family who never asked each other what they were getting? A desperate need to inflate the sales numbers?

It was on sale, it was on my Steam wishlist, and I got them from my friends, family, and online friends none of whom talked to each other.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My first playthrough of Panchea was as non-lethal as I could manage for much the same reasons you espoused.

My second playthrough was me going crazy with the plasma rifle because they're all dead anyway once Adam presses one of the magic buttons and it's a loving plasma rifle why did they hide it at the end of the damned game.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Or planting mines then PEPS-ing them into them....

Sometimes, you just gotta let loose, y'know?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
This reference got a giggle out of me.

Brent Spiner played Data on Star Trek, and Pat(rick) Stuart was Captain Picard.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Given the highbrow nature of the corners, bobbin & the rest of you might be interested in this, errant signal's analysis of (the original) Deus Ex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Although I never post here, I find it highly amusing and really depressing of how Darrow, of all people, calls out Jensen in his search for Megan. I mean, they start the game having just broken up, and Jensen still does most of the game in the name of Megan's memory. And when they finally meet up again, she first introduces herself again to the audience being uncomfortably casual with the man who kidnapped her, and as far as she knew, killed her ex. That's not getting into the extreme breach in privacy that Megan does with using Jensen's genetic code without his consent, only being egged on by Sarif after the fact. Seeing as Darrow kept in touch with her during those six months, he may have had a better insight than Jensen as to what Megan had turned into, but the simple fact is, Jensen is out for revenge for a person who is actually kind of a loving rear end in a top hat.

Also, gently caress Hugh Darrow and his stupid crippled rear end for making this pain in the rear end of a final level to sneak through.

• Locked thread