Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Who's consensus? Everyone I talk to thinks racism is bad, everyone on my facebook thinks racism is bad, the tv pays lip service to the idea you should say racist things as a decorum thing even if they don't go to saying racism is bad except in the most bland definitions. But in a lot of ways that is a bubble and a lot of Americas flat out think 'racism is good" is a good opinion. full stop.

The people you surround yourself with are a self selected group that holds closer opinions to you as compared to the general populace. A good way to shift that is to, say, work in the service industry, an industrial job, or a trade in a divided city like Detroit or Chicago or St. Louis and then see how opinions change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Panfilo posted:

We got to see a rerun of the debates and one little thing that got my wife very happy was the mention of the Miss Universe woman who Trump called "Miss Piggy" and who later went on to become a US citizen. Many of my own in laws immigrated to the US and became naturalized citizens, not to mention their own kids growing up seeing how badly their parents were treated.

It got me wondering how much longer is it going to be before Latinos make up a big enough voting bloc that Republicans can't ignore. You have a lot of people growing up surrounded by demagogues that would like nothing more to send their un documented parents away, criticizing them for speaking a language other than English, and active discrimination and harassment. So when these people actually have the power to vote, how much is it going to change things? Latinos are among the fastest growing minority groups in the US.
Size has little to do with it. All that many blacks and they still get all the dogwhistling.

It's about distribution. Make babies in red states.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Darko posted:

The people you surround yourself with are a self selected group that holds closer opinions to you as compared to the general populace. A good way to shift that is to, say, work in the service industry, an industrial job, or a trade in a divided city like Detroit or Chicago or St. Louis and then see how opinions change.

That is literally the point I was making.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The thing is, Trump is by no means completely dropping the dog whistles. "Taking the guns away from those people" is a very thin veneer, yes, but it's still a veneer. And there are others he probably still couldn't get away with outside his base, like "welfare queen."

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Panfilo posted:

It got me wondering how much longer is it going to be before Latinos make up a big enough voting bloc that Republicans can't ignore.

2008, possibly 2004 or 2000. The GOP 'establishment' has long realized that they had to make inroads with the Latino community but any time they try their base goes into 'screaming white sphere of rage'-mode and they lose their grasp on it. It's eventually going to cost them Texas and they're 100% cognizant of that fact.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That is literally the point I was making.

I read it wrong, then, sorry.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It still boggles my mind that the whole "He probably doesn't want anyone to find out he hasn't paid a penny in income taxes out of that $694 million dollar income" being responded to with "That's just smart business" hasn't raised a bigger outcry.

"I want to cut taxes to the job makers, as a job maker that doesn't actually pay taxes myself, thus proving that trickle down economics doesn't work since I'm such a successful businessman that doesn't pay a penny in taxes."

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

The thing is, Trump is by no means completely dropping the dog whistles. "Taking the guns away from those people" is a very thin veneer, yes, but it's still a veneer. And there are others he probably still couldn't get away with outside his base, like "welfare queen."

He said law and order eight times while also ranting about gangs and illegal immigrants.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm a little disappointed that the first true meme to come out of this debate is how bad US airports are.

You don't think of it as a meme, but that's the first thing people are talking about when they're not talking about the actual performance last night. That's the first point Trump made that actually stuck.

Personally, I want to never be able to hear the word "stamina" again without thinking it's funny.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Reason posted:

He said law and order eight times while also ranting about gangs and illegal immigrants.
I think this election has taught me that dog-whistling is not just either-or, or even a euphemism treadmill, but a whole spectrum. Trump slides up and down depending on who he thinks is listening, but I've noticed him back away from outright declarations that all Muslims should go on a national registry and Mexico is deliberately exporting hardened criminals to the U.S.

If Trump told his base what they want to hear with 0% dog-whistling, he would simply say "It's okay for government to help people, but only Real Americans. You know, white Christians. And we'll crush anyone who gets in our way."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 27, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Necc0 posted:

2008, possibly 2004 or 2000. The GOP 'establishment' has long realized that they had to make inroads with the Latino community but any time they try their base goes into 'screaming white sphere of rage'-mode and they lose their grasp on it. It's eventually going to cost them Texas and they're 100% cognizant of that fact.

So what will happen when their angry white boomer demographic dies out? It's like they killed the golden gosling when it comes to Latinos ; a group that values starting their own businesses, fairly religious, strong family values, embraces hard work and complains very little on the job.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There is also the theory that they went soft on immigration not so much to court the Latino vote, but because the "donor class" personally has a lot to gain from changing those policies.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If Trump hates our airports so much, imagine his reaction if he went to an average bus station.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Biden post debate tear down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPYS0GiLnDw

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Don't forget the rest of the world just watched a US presidential debate that sounded like a high school debate between the regional champion and a kid taking remedial English.

With regards to the rest of the world the emotions that America should be feeling is just embarrassed.

The guy was just floundering on even simple questions. Do you support the democratic process? Uh.. well you see...*two minutes of incoherent rambling and buzz words*... well I guess so. JESUS gently caress YOU SAY YES, JUST SAY YES YOU SUPPORT DEMOCRACY YOU loving IDIOT THAT WAS A GIMMIE QUESTION TO LET YOU FINISH EASILY.

I've never been so frustrated watching a politician speak, and that includes the the Australian Tony Abbott bullshit.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

IMJack posted:

I'm a little disappointed that the first true meme to come out of this debate is how bad US airports are.

You don't think of it as a meme, but that's the first thing people are talking about when they're not talking about the actual performance last night. That's the first point Trump made that actually stuck.

Personally, I want to never be able to hear the word "stamina" again without thinking it's funny.

Trump consistently referring to everything that has to do with internet-related policy as "the cyber" is pretty funny.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

I've never been so frustrated watching a politician speak, and that includes the the Australian Tony Abbott bullshit.

If only Trump had started eating an onion like an apple mid-debate

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lovely airport jokes are the staple of lovely comedians. That's how you know they're bad comedians.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cthulhumatic posted:

What the gently caress even is this. I don't even understand how some of you are drawing these conclusions.

This won't affect Trump's base. He could set a bald eagle on fire and piss on it to put the flames out, and he'd still draw 40%. This should, however, affect voters that may not like Clinton but also don't want to elect a slobbering idiot to the presidency. As third party support erodes as the election nears, Trump's stammering maw will remain etched in their minds.

I'm saying she won the debate but only by playing her opponent and bullshitting and not on the strengths of her platform or whatever

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Panfilo posted:

So what will happen when their angry white boomer demographic dies out? It's like they killed the golden gosling when it comes to Latinos ; a group that values starting their own businesses, fairly religious, strong family values, embraces hard work and complains very little on the job.

I've been pondering on this question for almost a decade now. The screaming-rageball isn't going to go away and I think is always going to be big enough to sway national elections but never big enough to actually win. I have no idea how our two party system is going to respond to that. As it currently looks the GOP is going to be blocked from the presidency until they can cram these worms back into the can and get a lid on it, which I don't think is really possible at this point.

On the one hand I'm glad that they're finally getting their just deserts but part of what makes our political system work is competition between the parties. If the democrats no longer have a plausible threat to check them it could lead to them adopting some real lovely policies. What could end up happening is the democratic primary ends up becoming the 'real' presidential election followed by them beating the GOP in a formality.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
The fact that he also lauds China's economy and thinks we should be more like them is beyond laughable. Anyone with an ounce of knowledge on the subject knows that China's debtor economy is in a huge bubble but clearly Trump (MASTER BUSINESS MAN) is not aware. Honestly he'd swing from hating China to hating the US in the same sentence so who the hell knows what he really thinks.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

The guy was just floundering on even simple questions. Do you support the democratic process? Uh.. well you see...*two minutes of incoherent rambling and buzz words*... well I guess so. JESUS gently caress YOU SAY YES, JUST SAY YES YOU SUPPORT DEMOCRACY YOU loving IDIOT THAT WAS A GIMMIE QUESTION TO LET YOU FINISH EASILY.

This was my biggest take away from this debate. Trump is incapable of answering a simple question. Debates very rarely give candidates actual hard questions and even when they do candidates aren't normally expected to give anything resembling a real answer. Like most politicians that get to the point of being in a presidential debate, Hillary pulls all this off really well. Trump breaks down even the simplest questions into madness.

Would you nuke the world Mr. Trump?

Well. Well. Well you see rosie o'donnell is fat. That miss universe lady that was a housekeeper was also fat. Illegal immigrants did the cyber.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wade Wilson posted:

It still boggles my mind that the whole "He probably doesn't want anyone to find out he hasn't paid a penny in income taxes out of that $694 million dollar income" being responded to with "That's just smart business" hasn't raised a bigger outcry.

"I want to cut taxes to the job makers, as a job maker that doesn't actually pay taxes myself, thus proving that trickle down economics doesn't work since I'm such a successful businessman that doesn't pay a penny in taxes."

Everybody already knows that anyone with money in America doesn't pay taxes. The fact that Trump admits this casually only confirms what his supporters already suspectef, that the entire system is crooked and broken. It validates their viewpoint, which makes it way more palatable

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spacedad posted:

Yeah but that involves physically looking at the guy next to her and, well:

https://twitter.com/SuperSpacedad/status/780598420620713985

Why are you posting your own tweets?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Panfilo posted:

They'll be replaced seamlessly by the angry jobless white millenial demographic

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mange Mite posted:

I'm saying she won the debate but only by playing her opponent and bullshitting and not on the strengths of her platform or whatever
Yeah, Trump stupidly let himself get baited into minutes-long conversations about conspiracy theories and his tax returns that sure made him look like an idiot, but didn't inform anyone about anything.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I can't tell if everyone that is saying Trump might have been coked up is just making a joke or somewhat serious? If so, you have never done coke or seen anyone on coke... He was not manic at all. Seemed more like a guy with a cold or ragweed allergies

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

That guy isn't as good as Jon Stewart

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

patonthebach posted:

I can't tell if everyone that is saying Trump might have been coked up is just making a joke or somewhat serious? If so, you have never done coke or seen anyone on coke... He was not manic at all. Seemed more like a guy with a cold or ragweed allergies

Do we need to have a conversation about his health? Does he have the constitution for this?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Pakled posted:

Trump consistently referring to everything that has to do with internet-related policy as "the cyber" is pretty funny.

The cyber is not a big truck!

Edit: vv he went to Menu > Picture > Saturation

davebo fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 27, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How did trump turn his orange levels down.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Its official, this was the most-watched debate ever.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/780824327474339840

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

(More people alive than ever )

What was the ratings share !!! B

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

And they say TV is dead

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

https://youtu.be/m4OvQIGDg4I

Trump debating in a nutshell.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

:drat:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, Trump stupidly let himself get baited into minutes-long conversations about conspiracy theories and his tax returns that sure made him look like an idiot, but didn't inform anyone about anything.

no-one needs to be informed about anything, Trump is an idiot authoritarian, racist populist who will lead america into a loving race war and who knows what else if he was president.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

Brokaw is talking about Black on Black crime. What the gently caress happened to him, did he lose his god drat mind?

Tom Brokaw has been trash as gently caress since MLK got assassinated.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aesop Poprock posted:

He literally said the US is failing because China is awesome and we should be emulating them. His entire message is that the US is the worst country in the world and we should be more like Russia and China, and somehow that resonates with his weird nationalist base

it resonates because they're all authoritarian douchebags who should be shot into the sun

I thought it worked because the blame for America being a shithole is there are too many non "real American"(AKA Non-white, non-Christian dumb racist motherfuckers) out there, and they need to be dealt with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Reason posted:

Oh god when he set up for that my jaw just dropped. He sounded like he was gonna drop a pair of slurs when he went on about saying there were two words he wanted to say/Hillary was afraid of. I was fully expecting an N-bomb or Kike or Hussy or some poo poo like that. And then he just bursts out "LAW AND ORDER!"

• Locked thread