Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which was more embarrassing?
This poll is closed.
The Debate 32 14.81%
MNF 8 3.70%
Donald's Hair 12 5.56%
Six Pickspatrick 48 22.22%
The Texans 50 23.15%
Whatever's about to happen to the Bills. 37 17.13%
Print the Shirts 29 13.43%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Redskins trademark update tl;dr: nothing happened of any importance.

The 8-justice Supreme Court is currently considering a case involving unnotable Portland all-Asian indie-electronic band The Slants. Federal trademark law allows trademarks to be rejected if they're offensive, or at least it did until The Slants convinced the Federal Circuit that that part of the law is unconstitutional (IIRC, by a general rule that excessively vague laws lead to unconstitutionally inconsistent application). The federal trademark office is appealing; that case will be heard sometime this term.

The Redskins are currently appealing a district court judgment against them to the 4th Circuit. The Federal Circuit case doesn't directly affect that because circuits are weird and have their own system of precedent. That case has not been heard by the 4th yet, but Redskins asked the Court to consider the cases together anyway. Today, the Court declined. This doesn't change anything about the Redskins case; it will still eventually be heard by the 4th and then probably appealed from there. By the time of that appeal, at least, we'll probably have gotten the Supreme Court ruling from the Slants case, which will probably have some significant bearing on the Redskins case unless somehow it's 4-4. But it's all going to be in appeal for the next eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Can someone explain to me how the Rams are 3-1

Jeff Fisher bullshit combined with the titans aren't allowed to have nice things

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

weird Asian candy posted:

So Tevin Coleman has sickle cell anemia apparently and yet Dan Quinn expects him to play this week in Denver. That doesn't seem like something that is a good idea or even possible, right? Didn't Ryan Clark have his spleen removed because he played in Denver? I admittedly know very little about sickle cell but it doesn't seem like something you could take something for in regards to managing it and the altitude?

Couple things, first he doesn't have sickle cell anemia, he has the sickle cell trait. If you remember high school biology, you inherit half your genes from mom and the other from dad. Inheriting two genes that are recessive, confers sickle cell anemia. Only inheriting one gene for it gives you the sickle cell trait.

So what is the difference? People with sickle cell trait can and often do live perfectly normal lives. In fact, having the traits tends to confer some resistance to malaria, so if you live on a country where its endemic, then its actually an advantage. However, in a small percent of people with sickle cell trait, they will react very poorly to high altitude. Ryan Clark was in that small percentage and lost his spleen and gall bladder due to them becoming infarcted (blood flow was blocked) and dying. It is unknown how Tevin Coleman will react, but simply going by the statistics, there is a 99% chance he will be perfectly fine.

That's basically it, but if you want to know a little more about why this happens I will continue. If you don't then skip this. Sickle cell anemia is a disease where the hemoglobin (the thing that transports oxygen) is slightly defective. This causes the blood cells to become misshaped (they actually form crescents, or sickles hence the name). The problem is that they then clump together and essentially form tiny clots all of the body. If they get large and/or numerous enough, they can block bloodflow to a whole organ (the spleen almost always gets hit first). In the sickle cell trait, only half (and often way less because of the bodies other mechanisms for dealing with this sort of thing) of the cells have this problematic hemoglobin. One thing you have to know about hemoglobin, is that its shape is dependent on how much oxygen its carrying. As the oxygen leaves, it becomes mishaped. Not a problem for most people, but in the sickle trait along with hypoxia that little problem tends to ramp up and you go from being a sickle trait person, to having identical blood as a full sickle cell anemia person.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Rams Divisional Bullshit(tm) and the Bucs horrendous clock management

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

swickles posted:

Couple things, first he doesn't have sickle cell anemia, he has the sickle cell trait. If you remember high school biology, you inherit half your genes from mom and the other from dad. Inheriting two genes that are recessive, confers sickle cell anemia. Only inheriting one gene for it gives you the sickle cell trait.

So what is the difference? People with sickle cell trait can and often do live perfectly normal lives. In fact, having the traits tends to confer some resistance to malaria, so if you live on a country where its endemic, then its actually an advantage. However, in a small percent of people with sickle cell trait, they will react very poorly to high altitude. Ryan Clark was in that small percentage and lost his spleen and gall bladder due to them becoming infarcted (blood flow was blocked) and dying. It is unknown how Tevin Coleman will react, but simply going by the statistics, there is a 99% chance he will be perfectly fine.

That's basically it, but if you want to know a little more about why this happens I will continue. If you don't then skip this. Sickle cell anemia is a disease where the hemoglobin (the thing that transports oxygen) is slightly defective. This causes the blood cells to become misshaped (they actually form crescents, or sickles hence the name). The problem is that they then clump together and essentially form tiny clots all of the body. If they get large and/or numerous enough, they can block bloodflow to a whole organ (the spleen almost always gets hit first). In the sickle cell trait, only half (and often way less because of the bodies other mechanisms for dealing with this sort of thing) of the cells have this problematic hemoglobin. One thing you have to know about hemoglobin, is that its shape is dependent on how much oxygen its carrying. As the oxygen leaves, it becomes mishaped. Not a problem for most people, but in the sickle trait along with hypoxia that little problem tends to ramp up and you go from being a sickle trait person, to having identical blood as a full sickle cell anemia person.

I understand this post

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Jeff Fisher can't go 7-9 without 7 wins, they had to come at some point

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

a neat cape posted:

they've only played bad teams

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

a neat cape posted:

Well they traded up to the #1 overall pick and landed the best QB prospect in the draft so I don't think it's much of a surprise considering all the surrounding talent they have on offense already in place (OLine, Gurley, extended Tavon Austin etc).

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

rjmccall posted:

Redskins trademark update tl;dr: nothing happened of any importance.

The 8-justice Supreme Court is currently considering a case involving unnotable Portland all-Asian indie-electronic band The Slants. Federal trademark law allows trademarks to be rejected if they're offensive, or at least it did until The Slants convinced the Federal Circuit that that part of the law is unconstitutional (IIRC, by a general rule that excessively vague laws lead to unconstitutionally inconsistent application). The federal trademark office is appealing; that case will be heard sometime this term.

The Redskins are currently appealing a district court judgment against them to the 4th Circuit. The Federal Circuit case doesn't directly affect that because circuits are weird and have their own system of precedent. That case has not been heard by the 4th yet, but Redskins asked the Court to consider the cases together anyway. Today, the Court declined. This doesn't change anything about the Redskins case; it will still eventually be heard by the 4th and then probably appealed from there. By the time of that appeal, at least, we'll probably have gotten the Supreme Court ruling from the Slants case, which will probably have some significant bearing on the Redskins case unless somehow it's 4-4. But it's all going to be in appeal for the next eternity.

print the shirts with the redskins logo, no one can stop you!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

Poise

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

a neat cape posted:

Aaron Donald

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Forever_Peace posted:

Well they traded up to the #1 overall pick and landed the best QB prospect in the draft so I don't think it's much of a surprise considering all the surrounding talent they have on offense already in place (OLine, Gurley, extended Tavon Austin etc).

I didn't realize Case Keenum was drafted this year...

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

todd "2.6 ypa" gurley

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I'm sorry.

Tremendous Poise

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

whypick1 posted:

I didn't realize Case Keenum was drafted this year...

Well I'm sure Jared Goff is really busy behind the scenes, he's a really smart guy they're probably relying on him a lot to help get the team ready each week.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

swickles posted:

Thank you for the education

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Brannock posted:

Thank you for the education

About time someone gave you some

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

swickles posted:

Yer the best Swickles! I was secretly hoping you would reply to that post...good stuff!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

a neat cape posted:

You see when time runs out, the Rams have had more points than their opponents three times and less points thank their opponent one time.

:science:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Interesting post with a lot of western mumbo jumbo masquerading as "science". here's another take: sickle cell trait is where all your blood cells are actually tiny crescent shaped knives coursing through your veins. you go to high altitude, you're not thinking straight and can't control the knives anymore and they just sorta cut whatever they can get their sharp little hands on.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Homunculus models of medicine are drastically underrated imo.

Like yo, read a book Swickles.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Swickles I love when you post learnin stuff

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Swickles I love when you post learnin stuff

Yeah that was really interesting. And that's all without even touching upon the fascinating malaria story.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Miko just tweeted a Miami reporters phone #

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Holy poo poo all he wrote was "Didn't take long for the Tampa Bay honeymoon to end" or something like that (probably not as funny) but it's kinda insane how much she's flown off the handle in reaction. No wonder Pron agrees with her.

Just kiddin' online friend

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Seahawks Need to trade sherman, he is toast imo

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
I wish I was Miko Grimes

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i sincerely do not understand the ironic mike grimes liking. shes a trashperson. a poo poo bag garbage trashperson. a fucker.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

nerve posted:

i sincerely do not understand the ironic mike grimes liking. shes a trashperson. a poo poo bag garbage trashperson. a fucker.
:agreed:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

nerve posted:

I think it's the cakes.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i called her mike. i dont care. gently caress her.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

Thanks, I was hoping you'd be able to elaborate for us.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

nerve posted:

Noone ironically likes her. She's the worst. How Brent has unironcally liked her this long is a mystery, thought at this point I'm going to assume "dynamite in the sack".

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Chilichimp posted:

Noone ironically likes her. She's the worst. How Brent has unironcally liked her this long is a mystery, thought at this point I'm going to assume "dynamite in the sack".

shes a vile repugnant human being both in and out. id be fine if she died.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

nerve posted:

shes a vile repugnant human being both in and out. id be fine if she died.
I mean, I don't disagree with you but Jesus

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Why do they not call holding anymore?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Cervix-A-Lot posted:

Why do they not call holding anymore?

something something offense sells tickets something something

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'd vote Miko over Trump

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

blue squares posted:

I'd vote Miko over Trump

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The Niners literally cannot stop being evil

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/03/santa-clara-community-group-claims-dark-money-is-influencing-election/

• Locked thread