Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which was more embarrassing?
This poll is closed.
The Debate 32 14.81%
MNF 8 3.70%
Donald's Hair 12 5.56%
Six Pickspatrick 48 22.22%
The Texans 50 23.15%
Whatever's about to happen to the Bills. 37 17.13%
Print the Shirts 29 13.43%
Total: 216 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Intruder posted:

Haha did this really happen

I don't know about this instance specifically, but in training camp when players are supposed to be going half speed, coaches will tell them not to intercept the ball so players will actually go at half speed and not screw up what they are actually trying to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I just realized that this is the week TNF isn't on CBS or Twitter Thanks a loving Lot NFL

Doesn't it still have to be on CBS in local markets though?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

kiimo posted:

I expect both he and Greg Hardy will play again.

No video.

Josh Gordon is getting help while Greg Hardy is out there not showing an ounce of remorse or contrition.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

Hell yes. I hope she doesn't have a special surprise guest like the last few, because the last thing I want out of a Lady Gaga show is someone who is not Lady Gaga performing.

The NFL almost always wants a guest, and it can work like with Katy Perry and Missy.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

He is also a music critic now.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

weird Asian candy posted:

So Tevin Coleman has sickle cell anemia apparently and yet Dan Quinn expects him to play this week in Denver. That doesn't seem like something that is a good idea or even possible, right? Didn't Ryan Clark have his spleen removed because he played in Denver? I admittedly know very little about sickle cell but it doesn't seem like something you could take something for in regards to managing it and the altitude?

Couple things, first he doesn't have sickle cell anemia, he has the sickle cell trait. If you remember high school biology, you inherit half your genes from mom and the other from dad. Inheriting two genes that are recessive, confers sickle cell anemia. Only inheriting one gene for it gives you the sickle cell trait.

So what is the difference? People with sickle cell trait can and often do live perfectly normal lives. In fact, having the traits tends to confer some resistance to malaria, so if you live on a country where its endemic, then its actually an advantage. However, in a small percent of people with sickle cell trait, they will react very poorly to high altitude. Ryan Clark was in that small percentage and lost his spleen and gall bladder due to them becoming infarcted (blood flow was blocked) and dying. It is unknown how Tevin Coleman will react, but simply going by the statistics, there is a 99% chance he will be perfectly fine.

That's basically it, but if you want to know a little more about why this happens I will continue. If you don't then skip this. Sickle cell anemia is a disease where the hemoglobin (the thing that transports oxygen) is slightly defective. This causes the blood cells to become misshaped (they actually form crescents, or sickles hence the name). The problem is that they then clump together and essentially form tiny clots all of the body. If they get large and/or numerous enough, they can block bloodflow to a whole organ (the spleen almost always gets hit first). In the sickle cell trait, only half (and often way less because of the bodies other mechanisms for dealing with this sort of thing) of the cells have this problematic hemoglobin. One thing you have to know about hemoglobin, is that its shape is dependent on how much oxygen its carrying. As the oxygen leaves, it becomes mishaped. Not a problem for most people, but in the sickle trait along with hypoxia that little problem tends to ramp up and you go from being a sickle trait person, to having identical blood as a full sickle cell anemia person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Oh, I just realized I forgot an important part of the sickle cell crisis. Dehydration is a huge problem, the more dehydrated you are, the more likely you are to have that clumping of cells. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep Coleman super hydrated, even going as far as giving a liter or two of saline before the game and at half time.

I still feel like I didn't do a great job of explaining the pathology of sickle cell. The problem is that its a disease at the molecular level, so its hard to explain without getting into the nuances of biochemistry. If there is enough of a demand, I will put together an effort post to hopefully better explain the problem.

• Locked thread