Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really like RLM stuff but found this review way too long, focusing on the "fandom" for over half the video, but it wasn't that insightful or interesting. His comments on how the plot/backstory should have been were spot on though, the whole setup in the movie was a dumb lazy reset to a new hope and his ideas would have made the movie much better. Maybe the movie had a bit much comedy, and I actually really liked that there was no romance plot. People of various genders can actually accomplish poo poo without inevitably loving. I really liked that it became a sort of buddy thing. The two dudes should gently caress though.

Also I'm glad half his reviews aren't lovely edgy "I murder hookers!" jokes anymore.

The ending redeemed it all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This video made me end up just feeling sorry for lucas.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One of the best things about RLM is their seething hatred of "youtube culture" bubbling behind nearly all their videos. I love them as this "Captain Disillusion" guy for that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When Christopher Lee died I was watching some youtubes of him and came across his star wars stuff. It was in HD and holy gently caress it looked bad and cheap. Those movies have not aged well, it felt like watching Babylon 5 or something, except at least that show had real sets between the horrific CG.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Some actual critics couldn't tell Starship Troopers was a parody lampooning the gently caress out of the ideology of the book and nationalist militarism in general and thought it was bad because of that, then when they figured it out it was a good movie. CD thinks they can apply this to everything, and thus if you say something is actually a clever parody it's automatically good and makes you the holder of a secret truth.

It's basically the same attraction of a lot of conspiracy theories. People want to feel like they're part of a small group that knows the real truth the sheeple can't see.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So who are these scarlet letter folks? Some of them were goons? What's the backstory?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do goons obsess about scaring him off like they do with Kate Beaton?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

What happened with Kate?

This is why we're dead and gay

She posted a bit on SA way back in the day and her interest just sort of petered out and forgot about the site because it wasn't a great forum and she had much more interesting things to do. Goons then flipped out that they must have done something to offend her or scare her off and decided to obsess about it for years.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Drunken Baker posted:

Warren Ellis was also scared off (well, more like he threw a tantrum when someone called him a dickhead) by Goons.
The dude who does Achewood was scared off because people were obsessing over his baby.
We all know what happened to Robin Williams...

Is DeadMau5 the only Goon Celebrity success story?

We've still got Brown Moses, at least until the Russians get him.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Starship Troopers is really good, any scify with mormons is good. I love the expanse for that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CharlestonJew posted:

burned the rest of the books AND sent a video of it to anyone who asked him when they were getting their books

What the gently caress? Was he mentally ill?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think that's less to do with Kylo being a weak villain and more to do with Rey being a ridiculous Mary Sue.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

I'll ask again, what are they going to do with Finn? His one thing was pretending to know about the new death star and its gone? and now he's dead and prolly gay and that's about it.

I love my dead gay stormtrooper son.

If the writers were creative they'd have Rey turn to or at least struggle with the dark side, or have any sort of flaws or character development of any sort. If they just want to make their poo poo rhyme they could have her be a vader figure who turns bad then right at the end redeems herself. Finn would be the more Luke like character who shows Kylo the power of gay love and turns him good to help stop Rey.

Alternatively maybe write a story that isn't just the same poo poo we've seen over and over with new faces who are all of course related to each other and previous characters.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 6, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Luke was kinda whiney and made some not-perfect choices and had some development. I liked Rey but she's just perfect in every way. She's already some how nearly perfectly trained simply as a natural, she always has the perfect quip (very important in movies today!), she's never selfish and always does the right good thing. She's fun and nice and cool though so her being a Mary Sue isn't really that bad and shows that it's not some scarlet letter, a Mary Sue when done well can be fine.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah saying "oh but it's satire" is not an excuse for the movie being bad. It doesn't matter if Lucas was operating on 9 levels of irony when he made eps 1-3 as satire, they're still garbage movies. Robocop and Starship troopers are loving great movies, and the satire is just an extra layer that makes that poo poo even better.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Zzulu posted:

Rei wasnt really the big issue with the movie

the fact that the entire movie was just rehashing poo poo from the old ones was the biggest issue

"we're finally making a new star wars movie! It's EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE OLD ONES"

It's like they didn't think it was worth the time to have any sort of character development or show people's origins or really explain who characters are because we already know which character they're re-hashing. "Oh she's the new Luke, right, poor on a desert planet and super good at the force, you don't need to tell me anymore I know who luke is."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

It always seemed like a huge miss that the saber isn't something that can only be used via the force manipulation.

Like, normies can't even activate them specific. Something about the crystal or how long the blade is could be explicitly linked to a wielders knowledge and use of the force. Not just deflecting shots and junk.

I see your Schwartz is longer than mine.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know what's funnier, fascists who thought Starship troopers was a rad movie that totally showed their military dystopia as awesome and a good society and totally wasn't mocking them, or the ones who understood it was a parody and were extremely upset that the movie mocked the poo poo out of the "political philosophy" of the book ?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I saw one of those comic book movies on a long flight, it was poo poo and I never want to see another.

A too-big cast of characters with seemingly random but also extremely mismatched powers (some people have actual extremely powerful super powers while others have the ability to be "very pretty" or "good with a bow and loving arrow") fight some robots and then a bunch of slavs fly up in the air and need to be rescued and then the robot is defeated. Every scene was a contrived set piece to either show off so much action and CG you go numb from it, or a bunch of "cool quips" between characters to show how cool and quippy they are. Absolute trash, but god drat do they shovel a lot of those. Every time I walk past the theatre it's something like "MARVEL'S AGE OF ICE VS DC" "Captain America 5: The Hulk Insurrection" "AVENGERS ULTRA: The Winter Spidermans" "A bunch of garbage with a stan lee cameo 12: Keep buying tickets for this trash you loving man-children". It all blurs together like someone's putting comic book names and characters into some random plot generator then throwing hundreds of millions at it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are all these comic book movies only fun for people who grew up with those comics and have a ton of familiarity and nostalgia for them?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Who are the two sub-nerds who do video game reviews? One of them is in other stuff and can be funny but there's like a bald alien dude who lacks character but maybe he's ok?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Has anyone gone so far as to make a movie that is both fun and full of exciting action while at the same time isn't total garbage?
Why can't things have the same tone and quality as say, Fifth Element?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Blazing Ownager posted:

One of these things is not like the others

One of these things is not the same

Two of those movies lack DiVito

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If even nerds are thinking theaters are totally over-saturated with this poo poo we're probably at the tail end of a fad. Hollywood loves fads they can bank on and direct 100% of their energy towards, then once people get sick of that poo poo they'll declare the very concept of motion pictures are dying, probably due to piracy, until the next big cash cow fad comes out that they then miss the point as to why it was popular and commit to cargo cult produce 10 more over the next 5 years.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

a bone to pick posted:

I miss the the 90s fad of making movies out of old-rear end TV shows like The Little Rascals and The Munsters.

Aren't they making a new Lost in Space?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

khwarezm posted:

I think I read somewhere that Hollywood is trying to prep Videogame movies as the next big thing if it becomes clear that Comic movies are starting to die down. If that takes off you'll know for sure Movies are dead.

I like that most video game movies some how have even worse plots and writing (and even acting) than the games they're cribbing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hollywood is currently developing a Tetris trilogy. Also a Play-Doh movie.

It's really gotten to the point where they'll make a movie out of any brand or word people remember or have some sort of nostalgia for. I'm awaiting a pogs movie. Hey 90's kids remember pogs? Is that triggering enough nostalgia to see this movie?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Who's this beard guy? He's ok, I guess.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

reignofevil posted:

You and I and everyone else in this thread are the beard guy.

I thought we were all the bald video game twiggy guy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So does anyone have a run down on who's who in the extended RLM cinematic universe? There's chubby funny guy and sometimes handsomer guy and fat guy, plus a cast of their friends and hangers on. What's their deals, what's their dirt?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are there any ladies involved in red letter mediums or is it all just nerdmans?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

Checked the patreon, these guys are getting $170,000 per year now :staredog:

Plus their youtube ad pennies.
170k divided by their staff minus their other operating costs isn't exactly filthy money.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can enjoy just about any RLM episode but Mike just saying numbers for half an hour was probably the first one I skipped large portions of, specially since the numbers were mostly pulled from his rear end and he forgot half the math anyways.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

He had pretty good hipster nerd hair going on, now he's just back to a regular nerd with a funny tooth.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is space cop actually funny/worth seeing?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

These idiots all remind me of some of my friends growing up and we made movies exactly like that. Even a scify adventure called "Inspector Le Space" so I'll give it a shot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just want a looping tape of Rich's high pitched fat nerd laugh.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Jim is really loving weird.

Wearing a hat indoors is very rude and a strong sign of a sick, weird, mind.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

a bone to pick posted:

I'm just happy Ghosbusters was banned for retarded reasons in China, ensuring Sony doesn't get any of that sweet Chinese BO money.

Ghosts are nothing to joke about in China! The movie mocks the very real problem of ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm borderline looking forward to Rogue One because it looks to be its own movie rather than a by the numbers remake of starwars.

• Locked thread