Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

achillesforever6 posted:

Plus it was a payoff to what Peter said he would do if he found out Ego was evil before they even left with him.

I do like how Mike used the painting of the Sistine Chapel as an example of artistry not being hampered by outside forces, since that was basically the opposite of what happened when Michelangelo was commissioned to paint it.

that too. yeah i read a good book on Michelangelo, he did do it mostly in "secret" but he had a revolving door of workers/assistants/interns helping him.

Blue Star posted:

The Guardians movies are definitely a cut above the rest of the MCU, though they have similar flaws. GotG benefits from having a way cooler setting and universe, and better characters that feel fresh. I'm getting tired of IronMan, Captain America, etc. I dont care about Spider-Man. I'm getting bored of the Avengers stuff, the S.H.I.E.L.D. and HYDRA stuff. GoTG has a huge, fun-looking universe to explore. I wish it were stand-alone.

Thor: Ragnarok actually looks like fun because it looks like its going in a similar direction: exploring a crazy Jack Kirby universe of gods and aliens and cosmic epicness. That's WAY more fun than a bunch of superheroes who all have the same personality play-fighting in an empty airport, or yet another Spider-Man movie.

yeah. i like the MCU but yeah. i prefer the weird cosmic space adventures with stuff invented by copious amounts of drugs above, cap and iron man fight each other cap's dumb loving friend who should have been mercy killed a movie ago. that being said black panther looks cool as does thor. even the worst MCU stuff is better then the lovely dc movies and i am a DC nerd.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Avengers / Guardians crossover is gonna be the biggest pile of poo poo

isnt it the russo brother with james gunn helping. i am sure it will be alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah it's a bummer that the Thanos stuff is going to be an Avengers double feature with GotG cameos even though the only characters that have personal beefs with Thanos are in GotG.

Then again, maybe it's for the best because the Thanos plot is kinda loving dumb and plodding and the movies will probably be half exposition dumps.

its one movie now.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Who's due for a contract expiration? I know Downey and Evans are tapping out. Surely Renner doesn't need the payday given that he's concurrently in 3 of the 5 biggest franchises (Mission Impossible, Bourne, Marvel).

And we know Ant-man, Strange, Spidey, etc. are getting sequels after the fact.

It's really dumbly telegraphed.

i knew evans was going eventually, but i am surprised Downey wants out. he seemed to be sorta into it plus he was raking in tons of money. i can see evans getting killed in infinity wars and being replaced by Falcon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

force awakens was good and rogue one wasn't. i only know one person in my personal life who's a star wars fan that disliked rogue one and his reasons were the same was rlm (mine as well).

and yeah there definitely are prequel types. we got a subforum full of them. or young people that grew up with them or like i said people that like the dressing of the setting and don't understand the original movies are classics due to the characters and poo poo.

idk man, i grew up with the prequels and i think they are loving terrible. the only fond memories i have of them is being in the theater with my friend and family. thats it. i loved them when i was younger, but now they are just crap or at best meh.

i loved force awakens and i was ok with rogue one(but i agree with rlm about it, i just think its ok.)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Harrison Ford isn't above schlubbing it in Asian commercials shilling video games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVlViaNxAOs

drat he looks bored, plus all the scenes they show are basically on rail segments of the game and you can tell he is just hitting buttons randomly because he doesnt give a gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

Life is Strange wasn't bad but I think the lead writer was from Northern California. Most of the time it's like they got their research watching David Cage games ("Nahman Jaaden")

that game would have been decent is the main characters friend wasn't a terrible loving person and never got better because loving daddy issues.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i assume its spider man. any guess on what they thought about it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i am kinda sad they didnt hit the yellow dyno video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oftN-SlHOlk

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 14, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

dsriggs posted:

Meanwhile, at the Disney press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5sk0RUlS4

looking at it. most of them will be ok kids stuff and the marvel ones will range from good/fun to ok/generic. han solo movie will probaly be utter poo poo and last jedi will be decent maybe good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

For non Zombie movies: Creepshow, Martin, Nightriders, and Tales from the Darkside were also good to great Romero movies/shows.

I will always like that Romero's first gig was working on Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and getting inspired to do Night of the Living Dead after working on a episode where Mr. Roger's got throat surgery. Mr. Rogers actually supported Romero and after the first screening said to him that it was a great movie.

Maybe my town/mall will finally get a statue of him made since Dawn of the Dead is one of the big reasons why people still go to that mall, especially around comic convention/Halloween season

thats cool and makes me like mister rogers more.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I can think of plenty of films. Russian films tend to do more fictional stuff though, like their rendition of Stalingrad, or the movie White Tiger. But most hollywood fare is historical in nature. You've got Flags of Our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, the Great Raid, Defiance, Valkyrie, Windtalkers, Red Tails (reeaaaally stretching the historical aspect), Hacksaw Ridge, to name a few.

Basterds and Fury are much more fictionalized than the other films on the list. Basterds goes all out alternate history, while Fury was one of the most savage takedowns of the patriotic nonsense that infests the majority of WW2 movies. But Kelly's Heroes is still the best. A western in WW2 starring Clint Eastwood. There is nothing wrong with any of that.

Hollywood focuses on either a specific event or personality, rather than a nebulous idea of "the war" as a means of telling an original story. And getting hung up on authenticity and accuracy, a lot of these movies can be super dry as a result.

i sorta liked fury, though i laughed my rear end off when they kept trying to paint the southern wannbe rapist tank crewmen as a really ok guy, then he got a panzerfaust through the side. any movie that has nazis getting blown to paste is ok by my standards. that said i prefer basterds. hacksaw ridge was pretty good as was letters from iwo jima. the only ww2 movie i ever hated was pearl harbor.

pretty much. i tried reading the book once. but its just reference after reference and its never funny or clever. reference stuff works rarely and only if it actually fits or is funny or its subconscious. like tarantino movies do referance stuff, but its part of the conversation or its some obscure poo poo.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why would they cast Charlie Sheen in a 9/11 movie.:lol:

why are they making it about a bunch of fictional people trapped on a elevator in 9/11, plus the elevator were loving gone when the plane hit, it loving incinerated the shafts on impact.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Max Landis likes Red Letter Media a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kdSN4NBvCA

my gf step dad knew max landis when he was younger. hell i think they got one of there cat from him. he was pretty nice guy but bipolar as gently caress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

no. basicaly the step dad(who is like 37 compared to the mom, 60) grew up pretty well off even when the parents separated and he met landis in college i think.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

Y'all should hop over to the GB2016 thread in CD. The salt flows freely over the Plinkett review.

i cant do it, i tried going there once for the star wars thread and and got shouted at for thinking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3u70WELSEg this was poo poo. apparently my non film school brain didnt understand the greatness of this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i am not even joking.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gildiss posted:

I know, that's why I'm loling.

i know. its why i go on the bookbarn/gbs star wars threads.

OctoberCountry posted:

Holy poo poo I completely forgot they added that to the blu ray hahahahahahaha

yeah. i dont understand how why they added it.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

reignofevil posted:

Weirdly the group I left the plinkett GB review with the most sympathy for were the actors (I am told somehow this is a gender neutral term lol)

It all stems from that moment where they were like "Do you think we'll finally get the firehouse" and then they kinda all looked to the camera after they begged for an action-cut to it and at that moment I felt like they really wanted this film to be more... .ghostbustery but unfortunately the only actual decisions they were being allowed to make were how many references to won-tons they could fit in.

Also I choose to beleve that the director had no control over the inclusion of pringles in his movie because that is way funnier and implies the actors coulda just slowly snuck the props and setpieces from the original ghostbusters onto the set day by day and totally got away with it.

yeah, honestly it is sad. it could have been a good movie. maybe not as good as the original but it would have been ok. the issue is feig is a gently caress tard who thinks all humor should be improv and just goes with the "best" bits because he is an idiot who here stories where improv makes scenes better except in most of those cases, they weren't loving comedies. mike made a good point, it just feels like a loving adam sandler movies with a bigger budget(well the big budget used for props instead of laundering) sony is probaly one of the worst movie studios out there.

• Locked thread