Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
One time someone in CineD said "I liked it. The Rock rules." about some movie and the regs wouldn't stop circlejerking about it in their chat thread for a month because it's such an unrefined opinion to have about a movie. That was about when I stopped reading that sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Calico Heart posted:

The most annoying thing about that ring theory bollocks is: so what if literally all of it is true? Making the films "cyclical"/reference each other/whatever is one of the dumbest and easiest things you could possibly do. It's the kind of thing a 12 year old who has just learnt that symbolism is a thing would think to do. The fact that that is what prequel apologists think is "brilliant filmmaking" says a lot

And Lucas forcing the plot of TPM into being a mirror of ANH so it would "rhyme" is what ruined the movie. Since he added QuiJon in the 2nd draft just so he could mirror Obi-Wan's arc as a mentor who gets killed, Having Obi-Wan be the guy who finds and mentors Anakin would've made more sense story wise and made for a much better movie instead of having boring old Qui Jon as the lead character.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

6 bottles of Dan Aykroyd vodka.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

temple posted:

I think Rey is the definition of a Mary Sue. But people like Mary Sues and it offends them when you slur their favorite character. Its like calling someone a racist. Nobody thinks they are racist, that's what those other guys are.

Because it's trying to label something in a way that puts it in the same class as lovely self-insertion fan fiction, instead of actually trying to argue why the character is bad. And it's just meaningless and lazy. And what exactly is the argument, that she has a lot of abilities? Ok and that is so bad how? It's obviously part of the story that she is special somehow. Do you also think Clark Kent is a Mary Sue? It's just dumb to even use that phrase unless it's clearly self insertion.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 7, 2016

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

reignofevil posted:

Jay is never on camera.

No surprise after all the mean comments earlier about his looks. You people ruined his self esteem.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

JB50 posted:

A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment.

Hmmmm seems to fit Rey to a T, except for the self insert part.

Superman is unable to save his dad and Lois at one point. He is often put in the position to decide between two people to save when only one can be saved. At least in the Chris Reeves movies, which are the last superman movies I watched.

How does facing a tough decision go against being a "Mary Sue"? Plus (spoiler) Rey watched Han die right in front of her just like Superman with his dad, so by that logic she isn't a Mary Sue either. And Superman saved Lois by making the earth go backwards, lol. Seems like a perfect fit for "low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities".

The point though is calling something Mary Sue is just a cheap and lazy way to label it as being bad. A character with a lot of unrealistic abilities can be a good character if it's done right, like with Superman. And I think Rey is a good character too.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

monster on a stick posted:

Except it was Superman's adopted dad who he grew up with. Han was some old grumpy guy Rey met a few hours before. I think most people would be more depressed at seeing their father figure die than someone who yelled "get off my lawn spaceship" but perhaps that is just me.

But keep on thinking Rey is a good character because something.
Keep believing she is bad because a guy with a my little pony haircut said so.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Hitler killed himself so he's a great hero.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

good goon is young Werner Herzog

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Commando is the best Arnold movie because he starts killing people like 10 minutes in and just never stops. Total Recall and Predator are great and all but they have a lot of buildup and not enough ruthless killing so they're not as fun to rewatch.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

they also have merchandise and DVD sales. And Jack and Rich get their camwhore money.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

MrSlam posted:

According to The Movie Database Space Cop had a budget of $80,000.

Assuming they spent $40,000 on marketing...

The other $40,000 was Patton Oswalt's meal budget.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I'm borderline looking forward to Rogue One because it looks to be its own movie rather than a by the numbers remake of starwars.

this is the mantra all the star wars nerds who want to be hipsters keep saying, but you look at the trailer and it's 90% the same poo poo that was in the OT. And it's a prequel to episode IV and basically has the same plot as episode IV so I don't understand why people act like it's so original.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

from now on a mary sue is a person who uses the term mary sue to critique movies

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 29, 2016

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Stranger Things is ok but is there even 1 great episode or scene even. It's just likeable characters and 80s nostalgia.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Paladinus posted:

I've just watched a film where an elderly Iranian man struggles to eat plums for two hours and just goes to sleep exhausted in the end. This is what a real movie is like.

only if it was in black and white

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I can't experience joy but I'm a good judge of what would or wouldn't have elicited joy from me if it were humanly possible for that to happen. And I can confidently say that the last good comic book movie was Batman(1989).

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I just remembered that CineD loves Gremlins 2. Like they think it's a lot better than part 1.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I love Gremlins 2 because it's insane and entertaining as poo poo, what? Are there people out there who actually don't like Gremlins 2? I mean, people who have actually watched it and not just seen a Key & Peele sketch on it.

it's watchable but it's corny and dumb.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

from what i've heard from RLM apparently they pretty much forced the director of gremlins to make gremlins 2 and he aggressively tried to make the dumbest, most aggressively terrible movie he could out of spite

What they said was they just let him do whatever he wanted because they really wanted him to direct it, and making that version was the only version he was interested in making.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Mike is George Lucas, he surrounds himself with yes men

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Fat Shat Sings posted:

we had the argument in the last thread about Josh pre-watching the movies

I think to save time I'll recap, since the common attitude is that it's perfectly reasonable that 8 different justifications are more plausible than "He watches the movies in advance."

"He could be pointing out continuity errors before they happen due to editing! Editing could be showing the jokes out of order from the footage!"
"He admitted he saw Space Mutiny before they watched it, so this somehow explains a half dozen other instances of clairvoyant lovely joke making"
"Him sitting and inserting a laugh break into his jokes like a lovely scripted comedian is just the way he spontaneously tells jokes somehow"
"Joking about minor details literally nobody else never notices just means he pays more attention! That's why he has to laboriously explain his jokes, it isn't at all that he prepared material over things he thought was funny beforehand and that nobody else thought was funny or noticed"
"There isn't a specific disclaimer they don't watch the movies! Jay even saw Hard Ticket to Hawaii and Terror in Beverly Hills!"

Oh hey

All of this has happened before and it will happen again. Just give Josh a few hours to prepare lovely unfunny jokes nobody else will get about it before it happens.

counterpoints: I have never even seen Josh do those things & Josh is bad for other reasons so who gives a poo poo, also you are a sperg.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Plinketto is an acceptable substitute. Honestly, I can see how it could be tough to find enough videos for the wheel that won't be terrible. It's not like there are another 100 potential Shoji videos they have laying around.

They say they get thousands of terrible vhs tapes and dvds every day. They should have like 5 million videos to choose from at this point.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

They need somebody to screen the videos beforehand. Mike seems against carrying films over but it seems like a necessary evil, just pay some college kid $100 to skim through a box of VHS tapes and decide which ones are worth putting on the wheel.

um, hello... Josh?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Trunko posted:

The star wars universe is huge I think it's a whole galaxy. But everywhere we see has the same look to it. It all looks like a set from the hit show fire fly. And also everyone uses the same money and speaks the same language. It is weird.

lol how is C3P0 fluent in 6 million forms of communication if there's only 1 language. Boy are you ignorant.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

a bone to pick posted:

What the gently caress is so hard about term definitions?

"A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment."

how does this thread get this term wrong so loving consistently? A Mary Sue isn't always a self-insert.
Here's a term definition:

loving sperg: a person who uses TVTropes terms and similar phrases.

So you are a loving sperg. It's a technical phrase, not an insult so you shouldn't be offended.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

mng posted:

I loving hate Anakin's and Obi Wan's retarded spiky hair styles. Lucas can't even get loving hair right.

gently caress movies

Ewan McGregor would've looked badass with long hair and they ruined it. This is depressing to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7UjyAVQivc

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

They don't call them hacks for nothing.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Clawtopsy posted:

which is the best 'mike has drunk too much' episode, the funniest one

the funniest one is the christmas one with jessi and they're all drunk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3plH6M1LadY

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

SpaceAceJase posted:

Is Jay asexual?

yes

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Don't see how you class Mike Myers with Adam Sandler. He only made one really bad one with the Love Guru then he had the decency to stop making movies.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Andro Dunos posted:

Why do the shill "critics" even make their videos an hour long? There's nothing left to talk about after four minutes.

Cuz you basically have to on youtube to make any money. Everything is set up to reward people based on how long people watch your vids.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Andro Dunos posted:

Yeah but who keeps watching it. By minute five they're recycling the same conversation.

people in this thread watch Jack play video games for 4 hours every week

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Like, Jay can play platform games and is actually pretty decent at them, because he learned those skills back in the NES days and hasn't lost them. But he'd be at a total loss trying to play a modern FPS or some esoteric game that doesn't have a clearcut "go from point X to point Y" goal.
Go play Legend of Zelda for NES without a guide and see how point X to point Y it is. Or better try ET or Raiders of the Lost Ark for Atari, BITCH.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Can't you people watch other movies besides Star Wars
There's so many other movies and some of them have spaceships too

no

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

revdrkevind posted:

To be fair I think I just don't jive with Verhoeven. Like I get RoboCop, but at random the movie really doesn't need the acid melty guy. It's weird and out of place.

And why did King Kong trash NYC and climb up the Empire State Building and get shot down by planes. Totally out of place!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

Snatch Duster posted:

Golly I wonder if Josh the Wizard is a Democrat or Green Party. Boy I do wonder what RLM does and thinks about OTHER things.

Wizard is short for Grand Wizard so that should give you a hint what he is.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

a bone to pick posted:

I tried watching a pre-rec about Let it Die and they no poo poo spent 15 minutes trying to find out how to start a new game. I'm sorry but pre-rec is extremely bad.

every time I attempt to watch that they're spending the first 10 minutes trying to get the show running. Like "Oh that's not working. Is there audio? Can they hear us? Are we on? Yeah... look .... wait no. Ok it's up now. Is the display working? Ok that's good enough" etc etc.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

mng posted:

My favorite parts of PreRec streams are when Rich or Jack refuse to answer a question because it's terrible/political, when you know the person have just paid two or more bucks to get their message read lol.

Pro-tip: Watch their poo poo on YouTube instead, so you can skip boring parts.

pro-pro-tip: all the parts are boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

RLM without Mike is like if the Jimi Hendrix Experience kept making albums after Jimi Hendrix died.

• Locked thread