Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I wouldn't mind as much if it were ever actually funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I hate when comedians pontificate. When they act like they're casting pearls before swine.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Michael Ian Black went woke? The man had a podcast where one of the running jokes was just the phrase "Respect for women"

Yeah, lol.

It's not like the joke was literally the idea of having respect for women though obviously.

Trunko posted:

List of funny people left:

Mike stokklassa
Seth romatelli
Norm macdonald
Tim hyde
Bill burr

I haven't listened to UYD in like 2 years but I'm happy to know that Seth hasn't been driven insane by Trump.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I legit like both of those movies. Not everyone who likes things you don't is faking or pretentious or whatever. They just have different taste and that's okay, my man.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

dreezy posted:

cronenberg's crash is great.

Obviously - but I'm sure somebody in this thread thinks it's trash and will let us know.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

The Book of Mormon was a good time. It was the only musical I've ever paid to see or even considered paying to see. Even with matinee pricing, it really is nuts how expensive Broadway shows are. I like the point Lindsay Ellis makes in that Rent video about how these Big Issues plays are trying to sell their message to people who can't even receive it because the show is too expensive for them. Instead they're selling revolution or whatever to a bunch of upper middle class whites.

Comedic musicals are the only kind I can sometimes tolerate because the whole concept of people inexplicably singing and dancing about everything - including AIDS - is so loving stupid that it's sort of baffling sometimes that anyone takes it seriously. I know Hamilton is supposed to be so amazing and maybe it is but every clip I've seen looks so corny. Like some Epic Rap Battles of History kind of poo poo. It's super cool and not at all dorky to be rapping about the Constitution.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I think it's more likely that the "cute geeky girl" was his friend who he's in love with but who doesn't like him like that

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Also, lol

Project 2501 posted:

Wait, she got an Instagram account? What's the name?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Trunko casually referencing Jessie's instagram and then ghosting is the greatest loving troll. So many thirsty nerds itt desperately trying to figure out how to ask about it without being creepy

The best thing about it is the person that falls for it and is like "wait what??? got a link????" is usually someone who is posting in the thread for the first time. A lurker who finally got up the courage to post only because pics of Jessi might be on the line.

She does look great though in that new video though. I wish I could be super skinny and still maintain huge jugs like that.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Looks just about right to me.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I took a look at Josh's Twitter like 2 or 3 years ago when someone posted it in a thread and it was all just him bitching about Republicans. I didn't really disagree with anything I read but who could possibly give a poo poo about that dude's political opinions. I can't imagine how insufferable he's become since Trump happened.

Jay just tweets about cool movies (that I often end up watching and enjoying because we have 96% identical taste in movies) and Jack tweets Pre Rec stuff and photos of his adorable cat, Biscuit. Mike has not tweeted in like 5 years and Rich doesn't have a Twitter account.

This has been my review of RLM's individual Twitter accounts.

edit: I have no idea what the purpose of this post was. These brownies turned out a lot stronger than I expected.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, I gotta admit that I zoned out a few times during that last one. Too much listing stuff in a monotone - which has been used to great effect in the past but went on too long in this one. He was listing a bunch of things that happened in the original trilogy (I think he was trying to refute something about ring theory?) and it was like holy poo poo, dude, we get it. It's probably gonna be the only one I watch just once.

I don't think it was a "pile of crap" though. There was still some entertainment there.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I mainly just liked Neon Demon because it looked so pretty (also, lesbos ofc). It's eye candy. It's a good movie to watch while high and just let it wash over you. Like Jay was saying, it's basically classily shot sleaze. Anyone taking it real seriously and treating it like some meaningful, deep art looks pretty pretentious.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I saw the Greasy Strangler in the theater as part of a Halloween movie marathon and it was kinda magical because of the audience reaction. I don't know if I would've found it quite as enjoyable without people yelling out "what the gently caress??" at appropriate points.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Went back to watch them play 1-2-Switch, and boyyyyyyy does that look awful. I can't believe they charge $50 for that. One of the few pre rec streams worth watching just for Rich's bafflement.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/126740525

I haven't watched in like a year and what does the video start with? Them bitching about having technical issues. I swear to God every stream I've seen has begun with these guys having problems setting things up even though they've done it dozens of times. It's pretty amazing.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I haven't watched any other streams other than Pre Rec so I just assumed it was because Jack was a retard. I feel bad for ragging on him so bad in the chat in the early days. Except it was funny, so no I don't.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Speaking of which, it's weird to me that Mike thinks the average age of the audience is like 14. It might be because he doesn't really interact with the fans anymore like the rest of them do. I remember once we did a quick poll in the pre rec stream chat and the average there was late 20's. I'm sure they have plenty of young fans but how do you even get like half of the references they make if you're a tiny baby?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Plenty of people have begged to see the unedited footage of them watching movies during BotW. The guys will be like, "trust us, it's not that exciting - the only good stuff is what you see in the video. Most of it would just be us sitting there silently" but people say they don't care and want to watch it anyway. I have no idea why. Even I wouldn't wanna watch that. Probably.

Zahgaegun posted:

I'm pretty sure that Youtube delivers some good demographic numbers to the creators, if that's what he thinks I'd bet he's right.

Besides kids can still be curious and look up references if they don't get them. I looked up things as a kid when I didn't get something but wanted to.

Yeah, like I said, I'm sure they do have plenty of young viewers, it's just that I'd be surprised if they made up the majority. Mike could also be exaggerating for comedic effect because for us old people, even people in their early 20's can seem like little kids.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Oh man, I love that Requiem for a Dream score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVIRcnlRKF8

Songs that build up, gradually getting more and more intense are the best.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i havent seen this movie in a long time but i listen to the soundtrack quite often. its great

edit
lol actually clicked on the vid posted and it is def not on the soundtrack

I might've posted the wrong one because I can't listen to it right now.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Haven't seen a more blatant example of a character being designed specifically to create boners in a while. It actually surprised me, like, "oh, we're still doing that?" because it seems like super progressive Hollywood should be past that if they were really as super progressive as they claim. I'm not personally offended or anything - just seems a bit hypocritical.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, I was being ironic.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Goddamn Hollywood, sexualizing the Major

They also made her a white girl. It's not like they're being super faithful to the anime to begin with.

Zmej posted:

lol come on. did you actually watch the movie. the nudity is suppose to be unnerving and show she's detached and alienated from her own body (and I suppose sense of self). now her outfit in the series is inexcusable but that stuff is kinda garbage compared to the movie.
I've seen the anime (tbh though, I don't remember poo poo about it) but it's pretty much always this:

Baronjutter posted:

All anime is a series of convoluted excuses why all the women are naked but it's not fan service you see there's a very interesting in-universe explanation. It's action and T&A for 14 year old boys.

Which is fine, who cares, but in an industry that makes a big show of how totally not ___________-ist they are, it's kinda funny how much of this stuff there still is.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that about fixed me for trusting what anime people say abput anime

Yeah, when I asked what's a good adult (meaning without loli panty shots and annoying teens) anime for people who don't like anime, I was told Berserk was all dark and gritty and doesn't have stupid anime-isms. So I gave it a shot and lol nope.

So then I asked if there's any anime that's just like a normal movie about whatever but it just happens to be animated. I was told Satoshi Kon was good so I watched Perfect Blue and it was okay but it probably wouldn't be considered anything special and praised as much if it was live-action. It was good for anime, basically.

So, I'm done

This is true though, tbf.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Jack does, I think.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I wish I could go back in time 20 years and just put A Game of Thrones back on the shelf at Borders and walk away.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

If there was some way of me knowing back then that 20 years later the series still wouldn't be even close to being finished, I never would've picked up that first book and today I could just be a casual show watcher like everyone else.

I'm glad we'll at least get some kind of conclusion - even if I'm pretty sure it won't be great. I don't know that whatever ending GRRM could've theoretically written would've been all that amazing either though. There's almost no way to successfully pay off that much build up.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

starkebn posted:

The next book of GoT will just be one sentence

"Rocks fall and everyone dies"

I don't think the dude could be less interested in finishing the story at his age with all the money he's made.

I feel like most people would find wanting to finish their life's work before they die to be a good enough motivator. (lol that his "life's work" is a fantasy series called A Song of Ice and Fire)

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Faffel posted:

Who gave a poo poo about an ending of GoT anyway? It was obviously leading up to some dumb good/evil battle and everything cool was wrapped up or forgotten about by the end of book 3 or so.

I mean, you're not wrong about the main overarching plot, but there are still lots of smaller and more interesting plot threads that have yet to come together in the books. Because of how much time has passed though, the internet has pretty well figured out where most of that stuff is going too.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Blue Star posted:

Why is A Song of Ice and Fire held in such high esteem by people, anyway? I mean, its okay I guess. But people act like its so brilliant and unique, but the books are pretty much like every other modern fantasy series. The problem is that everyone compares it to Tolkien who had Good vs Evil, so ASoIaF looks more nuanced in comparison. But poo poo, who the gently caress unironically writes about Dark Lords and perfect infallible good guys anymore? I dunno, maybe those are still being written, I actually dont read that much, LOL. But if they are still being written, they dont seem to be as popular. Nowadays everyone brags about how their stories have shades of grey and more complicated conflicts where nobody is pure good or evil, and everythings all gritty and realistic and absolutely no "Dark Lords" or perfect elves. Thats what it seems like, anyway. Somebody correct me if Im wrong.

GRRM was a big contributor to the modern trend of grimdark fantasy. It's all like that now because he helped make it that way. When AGoT came out it was kind of a revelation because most fantasy before it was PG-13 (tops) and even more formulaic than now. Obviously, reading it now, it doesn't seem as "brilliant and unique." I'm in no way comparing it to Citizen Kane, but it's kind of like if you watched Citizen Kane for the first time today and didn't see what's supposed to be so special about it because you don't know that the reason it looks like so many other movies is because it's the reason all those other movies look that way to begin with.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Trunko posted:

This guy was flight instructor and one of his students was a gynecologist and he would talk about that guy "oh man can you imagine?? Just getting paid to check out girls pussys... All day long! Man I'd give my left nut for that job"

It's amazing how it never occurs to guys like that that it's not just hot girls who get gynecological exams.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

They said they've been working on a bunch of stuff because they had some ideas for videos and because of guests being in town.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

I don't mind Landis at all and I tihnk if you dislike him you're a homophobe

Do you know that sometimes people just find people kind of irritating and there's no deep reason to it? People in this thread always say stuff like "people who don't like Jack/Josh hate him because they are just like him" which is such a bizarre leap of logic and weirdly defensive like they're taking it personally. People have different tastes and maybe Max Landis (or Jack or Josh) just isn't everybody's kind of person.

He reads less gay to me than he does bipolar anyway. I don't hate the guy but I can fully understand why he annoys people because he's a bit much at times.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Who is this Fred guy?

Watch this immediately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZFuyATj5EI

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but I keep watching to ask this and then forgetting: What is that thing in the glass case behind them when they introduce the movies? It looks like some kind of rotten shriveled fruit with a little plaque, but it's too small to make now what it says.

It's probably from their film Oranges the Revenge of Eggplant.

edit: oh that thing. Yeah, I don't know.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

FrensaGeran posted:

Mike hates older women :(

Jokes making fun of people for looking old kinda bum me out sometimes because people act like it's by choice - like it's a moral failing or something. It's weird.

I think in this case though, the lady in that first movie was definitely miscast. And the adult teens in the second one.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

naem posted:

She's an attractive lady, you just have to write her age into the story well and you're not going to find that in a rubber monster movie

Yeah, I was thinking that. Just make her a cougar type rather than trying to sell her as a young bombshell.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

can't believe how many of you don't know freddy was on on a previous botw and did the cover for Feeding Frenzy

He was also in the bar scene in Space Cop.

But yeah, it's weird to me there are people here who haven't watched all their stuff. I have to accept the fact that not everyone is an RLM historian.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Veskit posted:

I watched it i just don't loving remember it's like 100s of hours of material!!!

also over how many god drat years?

That's true. I've seen every episode like 3 times each because I have a lot of free time. Most people are not this pathetic.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

naem posted:

I like the part with the sex laidies

The sexy black British lady was such a sexy black British lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Space Taxi posted:

Gillian gets props for being the only one in a HitB skit who's acting wasn't horribly awkward and bad. She's not going to win an Academy award but her charisma in that HitB skit was leaps and bounds above the rest.

Still not a fan of those skits.

Space Taxi posted:

Rich you freeloading slacker. Learn to edit and get to work. Nobody cares about your stupid wheels and plinketto boards.

But plenty of people like the wheel and the plinketto board? And the bad acting in the skits is part of what makes it funny? You know they're not actually trying real hard to act well and failing, right? They're bad actors and they know it and they play it up further for humor's sake.

I feel like you don't really get RLM.

• Locked thread