Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

every trump supporter also has dementia

Some of them are just gamers.

with dementia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Is the girl I left my girlfriend of 5 years for just stringing me along? Honest

quote:

I (m 24) was in a 5 year relationship with my first love. When I started my job (2 years ago) I met this girl (22) who blew my mind, she was so attractive but she was in a relationship too so I didn't think anything.

After 1 year, we got closer. We began to speak more, in and out of work - we'd be talking 24/7, it was always so flirty we'd stay up all night speaking and i fell for her. we started seeing each other all the time we'd both say we love each other. Even though we were seeing eachother we never physically acted on our feelings because she couldn't do it to her boyfriend, but we'd always talk about 'when' like we knew it was coming. It was intense because we spoke constantly

Finished with my girlfriend because of how I felt but ever expected the girl to split up with her boyfriend (together for 4 years) I thought what we had was special. Things were good until found out her boyfriend had messaged girls, they spoke and agreed to work on the relationship so she called things off. It broke my heart but I accepted what she wanted, I just hoped and told her I'd wait. We still spoke the same amount, but as friends.

She got a new job. A colleague (M 31) who she'd been talking to that day gave her his number and said to text him if she was bored. She called me next day upset because she texted him until 4 in the morning. Since that day they've never stopped texting. It's been around 2 months every time I see/speak to her, she's always texting her 'friend'. After a week of texting, breaking and lunching together her 'friend' he went on holiday with his wife and two kids, but still spoke to her the same amount until early hours.

I got mad cos it felt like i'd been replaced. Shed tell me she's not into him and nothing would ever happen because of there situations and that it's just fun, that she loves me and she still feels the exact same way about me but she doesn't know what she wants. Her friend tried to kiss her last week and she was worried that it was going to be awkward because she backed off and said how he's married they've now gone back to they're 'normal flirty conversation'. I feel like I've been replaced but she's still wants me around. Do I tell her I'm not waiting anymore? We stopped seeing each other like that because she wanted to work things out with her boyfriend but now she's speaking to ANOTHER guy from the minute she wakes up until she goes to sleep.

The Office being taken off of Netflix is going to save so many terrible relationships.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for sneakily selling my stepsons nintendo switch behind his back?

quote:

So this is so complicated I'm not sure where to start. My wife and I recently got married and she has 4 young kids. One of them is 12 and we'll call him timmy. Well around a year ago or so my wife bought timmy a nintendo switch for his birthday. Well around 3 months ago he was acting up a lot and being a generally bad kid. We confiscated his nintendo switch and he hasn't had it since and eventually stopped begging for it and accepted that its taken away till he acts right.

Well me and my wife are not doing terribly well financially. I struggle A LOT with health issues and depression from my time in the army. I'm terribly depressed anxious etc all the time. There are few things that make me feel happy and give me some peace and its just some obscure game on steam (not going to say which game because it's embarrassing). Well the game is mostly play to win, and since my finances are not too great its very silly to waste money on a little video game.

So considering timmy hadn't asked about the switch in awhile I just went back to gamestop and sold it back to them for some extra money a few weeks ago. Yesterday timmy had asked me about the switch and I told him I sold it because they weren't making any more games for it so its pointless. Well safe to say he was quite upset, he cried and screamed and threw a tantrum. Am I an rear end in a top hat for this? He has not gotten his behavior fixed since and that was 3 months ago, it's safe to say he most likely would never have earned it back. I'm conflicted and I don't know whether what I did was wrong, or if I'm pandering too much to misbehaved children.

EDIT: The money sold was used for my video game. BUT I want to make it clear it's not like I sold it to buy something selfish for myself, games give me an escape from the real world. I know it seems bad when it's said at face value that's why I tried to explain I have depression and anxiety.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I feel we've seen one exactly like this before but it's still funny.

AITA for taking my girlfriend’s new black belt in Brazilian JiuJitsu to get “I love you” in asian letters stitched on the end?

quote:

I’m using a throwaway because I know guys tend to get downvoted on this sub but I truly want some opinions on what I did.

My girlfriend of about five months just got her black belt in Brazilian JiuJitsu. She’s 20 and has being doing it since she was 4 so to her she says it’s like a college graduation. At the ceremony her instructor made a big speech that he always has an inspiration message put one end of the belt that cane from Japan and that he encouraged all his new black belts to take the other end and stitch something important to themselves. I am so in love with her it gave me the idea. So later that night I grabbed her belt out of her bag and took it home with me.

I totally get her being upset that she thought she lost the belt. But it wasn’t even two days later that I gave it back to her. This is what I don’t get. I had I love you in what I thought were Japanese letters embroidered on the other end form her instructors message. She is furious with me, like she won’t even speak with me. She says she worked for 16 years on this to have it ruined. I said it’s awesome she worked so hard but this is a symbol of our relationship and me loving her. She said it was so inappropriate and she was deeply embarrassed and now has to pick all the threads out of my “stupid” message one by one. I asked her to please not do that because it was important to me. She said she was sick of what’s important to me and left and won’t answer her phone or texts.

Was trying to tell my girlfriend I love her on something important to her really that bad of a thing to do?

Edit on iPhone so lots of errors I’m trying to fix.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I imagine being a parent is very hard, so it's nice that there are people out there making everyone else look good in comparison.

AITA for refusing to get my daughter braces even though we can technically afford it?

So I took my daughter (16) to the dentist recently and they x rayed her teeth and told her that they strongly recommend she gets braces, her teeth are crooked and she has 3 adult teeth will not grow in (they are blocked). She doesn’t experience pain from this so I don’t necessarily consider it a need. but she admitted to me that she was always very embarrassed of her teeth but she was afraid to ask since braces are very expensive. Looking back, I noticed she never smiled with her teeth in photos. Anyway, after this she said she REALLY wanted better teeth and begged her father and I. We sat her down and talked. We told her 1: while we technically can afford it we have more important things to pay for and 2: getting braces is just weird for her age and people will likely judge her for it at school. We offered an alternative option in that since she is old enough to get a job then she is old enough to pay for her own wants. We said we’d allow it if she is willing to get a part time job, and we’d even help pay a percentage (20-25%) if she behaves well and keeps up her grades. This was last night and she is upset and has not given us an answer yet. AITA for refusing to get my daughter braces even though we can technically afford it?

Edit: Thank you for the responses, I am 100% the rear end in a top hat. I was thinking about this the wrong way and didn’t consider the potential issues it would cause later on. I also didn’t think about her current embarrassment vs the embarrassment of having braces, which you are right people will judge bad teeth more. Either way, I’m going to apologize to her when she gets back from school and discuss potential payment plans with her dentist as soon as we can. Thank you for all the feedback.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Speaking of making GBS threads.

AITA for kicking out a woman from Golden Corral after she poo poo herself floor?

quote:

This is not a shitpost, I know it’s hard to believe and if you don’t believe it please just give me a judgment anyways.

I am the manager at a Golden Corral, which Incase you don’t know is a massive buffet restaurant chain that serves basically every food. In one of the most disgusting displays of gluttony I have ever seen a very morbidly obese woman filled 2 plates of food both stacked 12 inches high. It wasn’t healthy food either, she had pizzas cakes steaks and she even dipped potato wedges in the chocolate fountain. She must have had 2000 calories worth of food. She ate about 2/3 of it before running to the bathroom sharting herself as she ran. You could see the poo poo fall out of her shorts and onto the floor it was beyond disgusting.

One of the customers threw up which created an even bigger mess we had to clean up. She cane out of the bathroom after a few minutes with a massive poo poo stain on her rear end and sat back down and continued eating like nothing happened. I was beyond pissed off. I understand accidents happened but she showed no remorse or guilt over it and was sitting back down while we cleaned up her poo poo. She disgusted the other customers so I told her to get the gently caress out of the restaurant and she’s a loving disgusting pig. She later left a very bad yelp and google review of the incident saying I bullied and harassed her and I “fat shamed” her. She came back the next day demanding to get a free meal because I ruined it the previous day and I told her I’d call the police if she showed up again.

I feel guilty over it but I can’t see why I handled it wrongly. I feel my anger was justified

Edit: I called her a pig because she wasted so much food and poo poo all over the place not because she’s fat

If this was any restaurant other than Golden Corral I'd say this is fake, but that place attracts a special clientele.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

At least football dad can look forward to only watching his kids every other Sunday.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for reading my wifes private journal, and finding out she talked a lot of s*** about me?

She has a diary/journal which she uses consistently but not like everyday. I’ve realized. It’s more of a place for her to vent about stuff going on with her life, a lot about me in particular.

There are a few entries about me, about her being angry. She used a few nick names about me such as “dumbass” “ungrateful poo poo” “my dear husband” all in a sarcastic way.

well, there is a lot I read but to break it down. She hates when I ask her to make dinner when she’s not feeling it, she called me unappreciative and neglectful. All this stuff. Just a lot of poo poo about me, a few times saying she wishes she never married me. This is all news to me, we are the only couple out of mutual friends who have have not gotten a divorce. We just celebrated her birthday together. and I worked hard to make it special for her.

Basically. I probably didn’t confront her in the best way. I tossed the diary near her and said, if you’re not happy there’s the door.

She screamed at me harder than she ever has, and says I have no right to read her personal thoughts, and that’s the only outlet she has. How dare I and all of this, and basically kicked me out of our bedroom.

I never read her stuff, but I was curious. I didn’t expect it to be bad.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Bored posted:

Wasn't there a recent final fantasy game that was financed by Cup Noodle ads, so there were lots of tedious quests that included finding ingredients to making health potions out of Cup Noodle? I could have sworn I watched Conan O'Brien get bored trying to get through the first cup Noodle quest.

Final Fantasy 15 had some Cup Noodle content but I didn't play it long enough to find out what it was like.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Real name must be Dutch.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

That fiancee is tiny Mario with a giant Bullet Bill sailing just over her head.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for laughing hysterically during the movie my gf decided we would watch? (A Time to Kill)

So I get that this is an extremely dramatic movie and wasn't intended to have any comedic moments.... however, when the antagonists were introduced the one dude is wearing a loving crop top wife beater. The second I saw it I burst out laughing and said the more evil they try to make this guy look the more absurd and less believable it is. So once the redneck duo started getting ready for the most abhorrent scene I was laughing maybe the hardest I've laughed during a movie. It is absolutely loving ridiculous to picture a person so evil choosing to wear a crop top and that's literally all he wears during the entire movie as his primary costume. Of all cinema I think it was the worst choice utilizedamd its in the final cut.... tbh I still laugh whenever she references how hosed up it was for me to laugh during this movie but I couldn't help it. It would be like papa smurf as an antagonist in The Pianist

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Yeah that is way too horrific for this thread.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA For calling my RA "Onee-sama"?

I recently moved into my new dorm, and when I was meeting with my RA, I noticed he had a desktop wallpaper from an anime called "A certain scientific railgun", which is my favorite anime series. I was so excited to find out, and when I told him, we had a laugh and instantly bonded. There was a related new series related to this anime, and he hadn't watched it, so we made plans to have viewing parties for each episode. The first few viewings went great, and I think we really became good friends.

In the anime, there are two characters: Mikoto Misaka and Kuroko Shirai. Kuroko would often call Misaka "Onee-sama", which was just showing her endearment to Misaka (technically it's a title of respect). I thought I and my RA had gotten close enough for me that I wanted to start calling him Onee-sama. The first time I did, he kind of gave a nervous laugh, but as things progressed (during a viewing party), he eventually got really mad at me and told me to stop calling him that. I tried to tell him about the respect it connotes (I am in Japanese 201, he's only in Japanese 101 this year even though he's older than me, but I did a lot of self learning), but he wouldn't really listen.

So, AITA for using a Japanese phrase to address my RA, to both convey respect and close friendship?

Edit: I think two things may impact future Judgement desu no:

There may be a tinge of homophobia the RA is projecting. I am typically a straight-acting bisexual, but can get really campy and flamboyant when pretending to be kuroko.

There's probably a tinge of cultural misunderstanding. Like, we wouldn't blame someone from Japan to slip in the occasional "-san" when addressing westerners (gaigokujin). For example, would you consider Mr. Miyagi TA for referring to Daniel as "Daniel-san"?

Edit 2: A lot of commenters are commenting that I don't understand what Onee-sama means. I completely understand it means "older sister", but that's the point. I like to think of us as sisters.

Edit 3: I accept my Judgement that ITA. I'll stop.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I was all on Bright Eyes boyfriend's side but uh the comments

quote:

I don't remember what every argument we've had in the past was about but the one before this was because I basically said it wasn't abnormal for grown men to find teenage girls attractive and she thought I was defending pedophilia or something even though I was referring to post-pubescent young women.

I would totally rip up this dude's Connor Obert poster.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

There ain't no lams when you're stealing clams

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for planning on only getting one of my kids Christmas gifts?

Throwaway because some of my church friends know my main account.

Backstory: My husband and I have two kids (both teenagers). We raised our children to be Christian (as is our faith), but also didn’t want to force them into our religion so as soon as they turned 13 they were allowed to no longer come to church, participate in saying grace before meals, etc.. One of our kids has continued with church and their faith very adamantly. Our other kid has come to church more sporadically and over the past half year or so has began to explore Buddhism. More recently they have been telling us that they are no longer Christian, but they are Buddhists. While we are disappointed that they are no longer Christian, I believe everyone is entitled to their own religion and I am proud that my daughter is exploring her faith.

Current Issue: At dinner recently we were talking about travel plans for Christmas (we usually will rent a cabin somewhere for family time) and I mentioned that I wasn’t planning to get our non-Christian daughter any big gifts since her religion doesn’t celebrate Christmas. She was immediately upset. I told her that I would get her some little goodies so she didn’t feel too left out, but that she shouldn’t expect to partake in a religious holiday for a religion she doesn’t believe in. She said (I’m so many words) it’s not fair for us to spend money on our other child’s gifts, but not her and that we were punishing her for not being Christian. It doesn’t make sense to me to give her gifts to celebrate the birth of Jesus when she doesn’t believe he is our savior. I told her if she really felt it were unfair, I would donate the amount of money I spent on our other kid to a charity of her choice in her name. She didn’t like this either. My husband and I have since talked and he has very mixed feelings on the whole situation.

AITA?

Edited to add: not sure if this matters, but I have made it clear to her that if she ever wanted to celebrate any holidays pertaining to her religion I would do my best and get her what she needs to celebrate. My goal is not to hinder her exploration of Buddhism.

Edited to add: I see a lot of comments about how Christmas isn’t a Christian holiday and I agree that many families celebrate a very commercialized Christmas. We (for example) do not involve Santa in our celebration, but we do (for example) read from the Bible and sing Hymns. Regardless of what others do, our family takes the holiday as an opportunity to celebrate and thank God for all that he has done and provided for us.

Final Edit (Hopefully): I hear you all and I know I have a lot of reflection ahead of me. Even though some of this is hard to read, I really do appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I think my family has a lot of discussion ahead of us and I specifically have some growth to do as a mother and Christian. I also want to let those of you who have voiced concerns know that both of my children are loved by my husband and myself and that I plan on talking with my daughter (maybe even showing her this thread) about how I can do better by her.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I grew up in Idaho and have never seen such a thing. Maybe its a Boise thing.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I’ll take a probe for this.

There was a great story on jezebel recently about how a young Asian man was radicalized into the alt right and essentially killed himself over his issues with his height.

https://jezebel.com/stories-about-my-brother-1835651181

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for telling my biological son that he is adopted?

I (36M) typically have a pretty good relationship with my son, Jake (12M). However, sometimes he can be a handful and although I try not to, I occasionally lose my temper.

A few days ago, I get a call from Jake's school about him acting up in class. The teacher told me about some of his actions, which included pushing a female classmate, and I was pretty disturbed. I pick him up from school early since the principal said he had to leave for the day, and I start lecturing him in the car (I wasn't yelling).

This sets Jake off, and he starts yelling that he hates me, and wishes I wasn't his dad. This really hurt me, as I always try to be a good father to him and I felt this was really below the belt. So I responded: "You're in luck, I'm not your dad. Your mother and I adopted you."

Jake starts bawling, and hasn't spoken to me since. To clarify, Jake is my biological son, I only said that as a response to what he said to me. My wife thinks I'm TA, and that I should tell him that it's not true (she has already tried but he doesn't believe her). I feel like if I tell him the truth then I am admitting to lying, and he will never trust me again. I think the best course of action could be to let things settle down and let my "lie" blow over.

AITA for telling my biological son that he is adopted?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for wanting my boyfriend to move out of his moms house

So my boyfriend’s mom was a single mother, and she apparently was an amazing mom to him, worked two jobs while living in the inner city, the whole deal. He has been eternally grateful for that, and I obviously can respect that. We’ve been dating for three years now and I’m looking to move forward in the relationship, move in together, etc. He agreed, and said that I could move in with him.

The issue is his mom lives in the same house as him. It’s not actually her house, it’s his and she lives there. A few years ago she got into a car accident, and has been in a wheelchair so has had trouble finding a job that she can do that pays enough.

My boyfriend makes a good amount, and can afford to sell the house and get two smaller places, one for his mom and one for him and me.

So I said I didn’t want to move in with him unless his mom left, and offered the above solution. He immediately got really upset and said that he would never kick his mom out, and that he owes it to her to be there to help her, and she apparently has other complications from the accident and he’s helping her at home too.

I want to tell him it’s her or me, because I want to actually move forward, but I can’t imagine living with his mom. AITA

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for Pretending to Wanting a Divorce?

quote:

(23f) downloaded a fake WhatsApp messages app and used it to fake messages that I was thinking of divorcing my (36m) husband to my friend.When in the shower I left my phone out so he would see it and he did and when I got out of the shower he asked me about it.I told him that our relationship has been steadily declining and we have no of a friendship than any other kind of relationship,but I said it in a way that I hoped he could tell that it was a joke like the one he had played on me a week before, saying that my cat had run away (which was incredibly immature of him and I am still upset about) but he didn't get it and looked upset all evening

.I tried to tell him it was a joke but he was busy ignoring me so probably didn't hear me as he sulked in the living room with his headphones on so I just left him to it.

I woke up in the morning and he hadn't gone to work and I found him in the kitchen cooking eggs and I asked him why he hadn't gone to work and he said he was trying to rebuild our relationship in an annoyed way as if I'd forced him to stay home.I reiterated that it was a joke and I I told him to come over and I showed him how the app worked then he got mad and said I made him lose a lot of money staying off work and I was cruel and immature and when I reminded him about the cat incident he said "It's nowhere near the same thing ".When I got home from uni he was still there and refused to talk to me. He said he married a kid and that was "his biggest mistake " and I think he's taking it too far. AITA? (Throwaway i don't want this on my main)

This couple is perfect for each other.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for blowing up on my friend because of a girl

quote:

Some background is me, my friend, and this girl are all 20 and graduated high school 2 years ago, and it was common knowledge to everyone I had a huge crush in this girl forever but I blew my chances and she is very attractive, my friend time and time again said not to worry he doesn’t find her attractive and even if he did he wouldn’t do anything

Keep in mind my friend is a great guy he’s up front doesn’t lie and just a respectable stand up guy for the most part

That was all in high school, flash forward to a month ago he tells me they’ve been talking behind my back for 3 months and I was devastated, not because he did it, she’s hot and with her personality it was inevitable something like that would happen and I can’t tell people to lay off just because I missed my shot what bothered my is the 3 months of lying and deceit to my face, I blew up on him with a big speech of how could you I trusted you idk if I can look at you the same blah blah blah a big emotional outburst

The girl is a manipulative succubus I’m done with her I’m not getting into that part of the tale but was I an rear end in a top hat for going off on my friend for going behind my back like that when he could’ve told me up front? he said they were gonna tell me when they started dating as if that was the better alternative.

I’m all over it now but sometimes I think I went too hard on the paint and sometimes I think I was too lenient and he’ll just do it again, thanks

Edit: I’m getting torn apart here so I’ll add the girl so people don’t think I’m a r/niceguy

I dated her in grade school for a week but broke up cuz it wasn’t worth it, but I got a crush on her immediately after from 6th to 12th, skip to 9th we re enter each other lives and I’m joking around flirting you know playing the “game” and she seems into me but not enough and this is on and off until eventually I’m friendzoned as you probably know, why I’m calling her a succubus is because she pretended to be into comedians when we were talking (I’m a comedian), when she talked to my another friend of our she pretended to be into conspiracy theory and other poo poo he was into, and finally with the friend from earlier she pretended to like movies he was into but we tested her with countless pulp fiction references and nothing (even tho it’s her “favorite movie”) and instead of telling me not interested she’d say I sucked (insert name)s cock to my face like gently caress man I have feelings, and it’s not like we were pals and she didn’t know, this was like after I asked her to prom and poo poo, and she fake flirted with me the WHOLE time she was talking to my friend and I played along thinking it was a stupid joke, it’s just a ton of instances like this

I’ll accept it if I’m still the rear end in a top hat

Edit2: I am new and didn’t read the rules and was banned for 3 days
I started arguing
My bad but come on some people are needlessly rude and mean spirited but it’s a judgement sub so what did I expect Also people are quick to jump to conclusions about me I think, I’m not an incel in person, maybe u gave me an evil tone of voice while reading it or it’s the way I worded it or how defensive I got which I apologize for but I don’t think u hate me as much as you think you hate me

I’ll leave it with I now realize i was in the wrong on pretty much all fronts, mainly the stuff related to incel-ness like possessive and jealous, playing the victim yada yada yada but man some people are QUICK to judge a whole person based off of something as insignificant as this

EDIT3: stop please I got the message any more comments is just rubbing it in at this point I don’t even think people are reading this far based on what they are saying just stop move on to the next post this problem has been resolved

This dude also posts on the pewdiepie subreddit.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I'm a big fan of Dwigt Rortugal.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Not sure if people keep making the same posts because the servers are melting down or because that's how these derails always work

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Love when people try romantic comedy behavior in real life.

AITA for being annoyed at my best friend for breaking our marriage pact?

quote:

My best female friend and I have went to elementary, middle, and high school together. We never dated each other since we would rather be best friends for life. We dated other people in high school and that never impacted our friendship. When we were 22 and single, we thought it would be fun to make a pact that if we were both not married by 32, we would get married to each other. We got that idea from a foreign film we saw together.

We talked about this pact often until she got married when she was 28, had a kid and got divorced two and a half years later. I have had several short-term relationships. I turned 32 in September and her birthday was yesterday. I called her to say happy birthday and mentioned our pact. She said she isn’t ready for this much commitment yet. She talks about her daughter and being busy with work. I told her that I like her daughter and don’t mind taking her in as my own and I’ll give her as much time as she needs, but she told me to please just drop this discussion.

I got a bit annoyed and asked her what was the purpose of this pact if we are not going to honor it. She says it’s a lot different never having been married than having been married and divorced, that I would never understand her reservations. She says if and when she’s ready to discuss our marriage pact, she will. I told her that’s fine and wished her well. In the meantime, I’m not expecting much out of this marriage pact and will keep dating and finding the one for me.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for barring entry to my party with a quiz?

quote:

I am hosting a Rick and Morty screening party in my dorm room next week. I am one of the only people in the dorm with a good TV so a lot of people want to come but the room can’t accommodate everyone.

I didn’t want to just pick and choose my best friends (it’s only November and we are freshmen so I don’t have a close group yet) so I figured I would send invites based on who likes Rick and Morty the most.

I put together three quizzes. One for guys (hard- because I know more males are interested in attending and I want it to be harder for them to gain entry just because of the gender ratio) one for girls (intermediate, to increase the number of girls) and one for girls I find attractive (easy, because I’m hoping this party could open me up to potential cute girls to hook up with or date.)

Shockingly, only a couple people have filled out the quiz and their write-in responses are too inappropriate for me to write here. NONE of the girls filled it out. Now nobody wants to go. So I sent out a group message saying that if nobody is willing to fill out the quiz I am more than happy to have this party just myself and my roommate. Someone responded “good, rear end in a top hat, nobody wants to come.”

To be clear, everyone wanted to come prior to the sending of the quizzes AND...it’s a free party. I’m allowed to bar entry however I want...right? I mean nobody is entitled to my TV.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA for "ghosting" my son financially after he "ghosted" me?

quote:

My son went a few states over for college this year. I get it - he doesn't want to check in with Dad every day and wants to do his own thing. My issue is that I am paying for him to do his "thing" and want to know what's going on. I am not pushy. It's like he ghosted me. My ex is not helpful because she will just send him whatever he wants, no questions asked. She's broke though so the only time he responds or contacts me is when he has no one else to ask. I got tired of it so I cut him off financially. Now he's in a bind because he was counting on money coming that ain't coming. I've done more for that brat that his mom and I feel the best way to teach him a lesson is to struggle. Also, I want this to be an example to his younger brothers.

If you think he doesn't call you enough now just wait.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2km_z4-1T8

They start doing sentence comparisons at 6:20. If I didn't have the reference right in front of me, I'd never be able to tell them apart from someone just suddenly speaking to me.

Did you somehow miss the part where the guy asked if he spoke Mandarin? I don't understand why you're so hung up on this.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

What made that story so memorable? Out of the thousands of train wrecks here, I distinctly remember that one as well.

Can anyone find the original posting of that for me? I need to relive the full thing.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I've been going crazy searching for ponytail and water in /r/relationships, thank you all.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I love these lovely parents so much.

AITA for telling my daughter I didn't want to eat at the restaurant she picked for her birthday?

quote:

So my daughter is turning 24 and for her birthday she wanted us all to go to a Thai food place. I don't like Thai food at all and it sometimes makes me feel sick. I told her I didn't want to go there, and my other daughter was really annoyed and said that I was being an rear end in a top hat. I don't think I am, because my 24 year old knows that I hate this kind of food. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

Any Christian that uptight would be asking advice from like r/christiandiscipleship or whatever.

She's also posted this to r/catholic and r/catholicparenting so maybe there's hope that some college professor somewhere is about to get the strangest email they've ever received.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

So what're we thinking? Fundamentalist upbringing with trips to the Creationism museum?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

WIBTA if I stole my girlfriend’s daughter’s Pokémon card?

So a little backstory I’m 29 years old, and my girlfriend is a 30 woman (who I love very much), has two girls (6 and 8). Before Christmas I bought them each two packs of Pokémon cards and myself two packs of Pokémon cards. We had a bunch of fun opening them and seeing which ones we got. TBH they have no idea how the cards work so in the car when we opened them I traded one of my worse, but “cute” cards with the youngest child for a really good card at no hesitation. The youngest then told me that she only wanted Pokémon cards for Christmas.

I happened to leave my cards at my girlfriends house with no thought of losing them. However, when I came back I found out that both of them had split my cards between themselves leaving me with none.

So Christmas comes and I bought her three special packs of Pokémon cards, with four, 10 card packs in each one (totaling 126 cards in total).

What I didn’t tell them was that I also placed packs of Pokémon cards in their stockings which they only found while taking them down last night. They opened them to find a holographic “Mew” card in them. The oldest explained to the youngest that the Mew “didn’t even do anything” because they’re not very good at reading and there’s no damage numbers on the card, I know better though.

Would I be the rear end in a top hat if I take the card for myself since they already took my cards from me and don’t know any better. I don’t think my girlfriend would care but I also haven’t asked her yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

He clarifies in the comments that the kid isn't his.