Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

girl pants posted:

This is actually a pretty boring post with a simple obvious answer (:sever:) but I enjoy the part where he apparently quit his job to lift weights:

[Relationships] I [23M] don't think I love my fiancee [22/F] anymore.

He does say that he's in school and quit his job to focus on his education and his fitness, but without knowing what the split is there I don't know to what degree this guy is nuts or not

Like if he's a full-time student living off money he's saved up, cool, but if he's taking like one class and spending several hours a day at the gym and has no money then, welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Some tiny nagging part of me wants to say there's something to be said for being the "bigger person" and just not responding

But not responding would've robbed the world of a truly awe-inspiring ice burn and y'know what that lady had it coming.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fruit on the bottom posted:

I [23M] accidentally hurt my friend's [23F] feelings. Where did I go wrong, and how do I make it up to her?

[Update] I [23M] accidentally hurt my friend's [23F] feelings. Where did I go wrong, and how do I make it up to her?

Kinda feel like it shoulda been obvious after that first one.

I wonder if he said the dumb poo poo in the first post so that it didn't seem like he was into her in case it made her uncomfortable or something and just laid it on way too hard.

Also lol that they're in their loving 20s

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My [28/F] smart, funny, charming boyfriend [30/M] has literally no friends.

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm pretty sure if I worked 70 hours a week in a stressful job that involved working closely with a team I'd probably value my alone time a lot no matter how charming my girlfriend thinks I--

gently caress it.

(disturbing) UPDATE: My [28/F] smart, funny, charming boyfriend [30/M] has literally no friends.

yep i was missing something

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

girl pants posted:

:shrug: it's not a huge age gap but 21 and 27 are different enough life stages that it seems unlikely the relationship will last, then he'll probably have messed up his relationship with his best friend too.

I dunno, I'm 31 and my girlfriend's 26, and we've been together since I was 28 and she was 23. I mean, the gap between 21 and 23 is at least a little meaningful, maybe, but I'm not sure I'd call their relationship doomed based on the age gap.

Now, her brother/his friend, on the other hand, that's a pretty major complicating factor for both of them. On the one hand, if they have an actual, committed relationship that works out, I imagine the brother would have to be at least a little happy that his sister is with someone he clearly thinks highly of. But man, even if the brother can get over his weird protectiveness, things are going to turn really ugly if they have a nasty breakup.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, pretty much.

Obviously you're taking a risk if you date someone related to a close friend. If the relationship goes south and there's a bad breakup, you're putting that friend in a really uncomfortable situation and you shouldn't be surprised if your friendship gets pretty strained for at least a while. But that's not some sort of terrible sin against friendship or anything, and clearly the brother is far too protective of his, y'know, adult sister.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

girl pants posted:

"private things", which i assume means a dildo, which in this case is made out of birthday gifts.

My (f26) husband(m32) is blaming me for ruining his mom's birthday

- getting drunk while in rehab for alcohol abuse
- taking a vacation while under financial stress
- taking a vacation while in rehab
- getting drunk while in rehab for alcohol abuse

Jesus god, if there was ever a clear time to :sever:, it’s when an emotionally abusive alcoholic gets drunk while supposedly in treatment so often that it’s not even surprising anymore.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Snoo posted:

also you don't need a giant pot for pasta, depending on what you're making. most pasta can be cooked with just an inch or so of water covering it. I usually break spaghetti/long noodles in half so I can use a smaller pot. it also gives you the bonus of concentrated starchy water if you need it for your sauce!

:respek:

Starchy pasta water is magic and I didn't learn that until relatively recently.

I recently taught my mom that you can cook pasta in a very small amount of water and she was really skeptical, and then pleasantly surprised when it worked.

The Snoo posted:

I think I take my knife skills and like general cooking skills (knowing how to stir food, manage the stove heat, etc.) for granted bc most people I know just... don't cook, or can't.

A lot of baby boomer parents never taught their kids how to cook because they relied so heavily on frozen or canned foods (like my parents did). Luckily I grew up watching the Food Network back when they showed actual cooking shows and ended up really interested in cooking from an early age.

I'm never surprised when people my age don't know how to cook for themselves but that's something I think we really need to teach everyone in school or some poo poo like that. Every adult should have the basic skills necessary to take raw ingredients and use them to feed themselves.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Do most high schools not have a required Home Ec class? Mine did and that's where I learned to cook.

EDIT: Also learned basic sewing and washing dishes by hand and stuff.

Mine was elective but I took it because I was a little food nerd and wanted to spend school time cooking. But not everyone had to take it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If there's one thing you can count on us goons for, it's spending pages talking about basic life skills and talking about kids these days

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

gently caress I can't count to two

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Haifisch posted:

My [27F] MIL [60F] walked in on my husband [32M] and I during a private moment, posted about it on Facebook.

I just had a horrible realization that this is exactly what my mom would do if she walked in on me and my girlfriend

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

She mentions moving to a more "advanced country" so I'm curious where the family is from as different cultures can have incredibly different ideas on the levels of support family must give each other.

She brings that up a bit in the comments:

quote:

I see what you mean, my country is indeed family orientated, however you are expected to help your parents practically only and your siblings financially or help them get a job interview or something. I had sent some money / get stuff for my brother while he was unemployed, but of course I didn't pass it through Grandma Customs - none of her business.

The idea of a niece helping out a middle aged uncle raises eyebrows here whenever I discuss it with my friends. There is a strong notion of 'the older generation supports the young one' here. It is really her own concept. I think my mum still helps sometimes because she gets tired of constantly saying no and because she has a low threshold of self protection. I have seen her agree to ridiculous things as if out of habit and then getting sad because she was caught off guard.

It sounds like there's a (pretty reasonable) level of cultural assumption that you'll support your family to the best of your abilities, but her grandma takes it way too far, even if you're already prepared to support family members materially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

Girlfriend of 4 years cheats on me at a restaurant, sees me there and then throws the drink at me and calls me a loving loser in front of 30 people.

And that man...

...was Albert Einstein