Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Alright, which one of you posted the first season of Big Love with the names changed from the perspective of the oldest daughter as a thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

People get weirdly upset about nerds collecting harmless poo poo.

Did that dude's habit sound harmless to you?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

People stopped talking about that guy long ago.

Though even then yeah.

No, actually, he's who everyone has been talking about.

You sound like you have bad judgement.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Most were talking the hobby itself yeah which was my point.

We've all rejected your version of events.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

My [19/M] Forum Pals [12-99/M] Saw Things Slightly Differently For A While. Is SWATing them appropriate?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Real bunch of characters around here

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Honestly if you're making 180k combined at that age and don't have kids yet, be cheap as gently caress and put as much away as you can. A lot of spending becomes non optional down the road. That way they could retire way earlier.

Source: I set a bunch of money on fire eating out and shopping at whole foods in my 20s and that poo poo adds up

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mirthless posted:

you'll never see that post b/c i'm pretty sure the scent of sawdust and varnish is an aphrodisiac

seriously though these posts are never about the husband who can't tear himself away from his workbench, it's always the weird anime goon who can't stop spending their rent money on rare figures]

Kinda tells you something about the worthlessness of most people's "hobbies." Amassing junk isn't a hobby, it's a compulsion. You're not learning anything or growing in any way by doing it. A man who spends all his free time in a wood shop will emerge with furniture to give his wife, each piece better-assembled than the one before. There is a primal instinct to reward that. A goober excitedly opening an eBay box with a thing in it that's going on a shelf has none of that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pick posted:

Lower upper-class people are the stingiest fuckers you will ever meet.

These are some true loving words.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

purple death ray posted:

Personally I don't trust anyone who makes more than like 60k a year, money fucks people up and anyone who hoards wealth or believes that you can never have too much money is guaranteed to be a terrible human being in some regard

Man, 60k is a low-rear end number for what you're talking about.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I don't even know how someone who makes 60k, lives on their own, is saving for retirement, and has (pick one) student debt or a car loan can even go about "hoarding wealth." I make a decent bit more than that and support a wife and one child on it in a low COL area, and my wife still shops with a binder full of coupons and knows when the meat goes on clearance.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pick posted:

if anyone told me my cat was too great an expense i'd shove rolls of pennies up their rear end and shove them off a pier

You'd do that to your cat?

tater_salad posted:

STOP HOARDING ALL THE MONEY YOU RICHER!

Sorry I'll stop

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

purple death ray posted:

I'm talking about individual wealth, obviously 60k supporting a big family isn't going to go very far.

Idk I read this article that pegged the point where increase in money stopped equating increase in the quality of life at 80k. 60k might be low but people really overestimate how much money you need, because our society teaches us that there's always something to spend it on. There's always something else you need to buy, there's always a fancier version of anything you own, and you can never have enough money, let alone too much. It's very hard to reject that and be honest with yourself about what you really need in life.

I made that when I was single, too, in the same low COL metro I live in now. Your number is seriously low. Single people making $60k don't have wealth, much less the ability to hoard it, and it's not because they're replacing their year old iPads and having tanning beds installed in their condos.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

I mean idk I can get all my bills and expenses paid with easily less than say $25k/yr living in a nice 2 bedroom apartment in San Diego which is pretty drat high COL (Encinitas, specifically).

What are you doing with the other half of that if you don't have a kid or spouse to support? Especially if you are in a lower COL area.

"Hoarding wealth" is def a strong term there but you're def gonna be flush with cash.

Bull loving poo poo you're making a 2-bedroom apartment with the Real Adult Starter Pack - health insurance, retirement savings, transportation, phone, and groceries - happen in San Diego on $25k without either some popcorn-for-dinner poo poo or a rentboy arrangement happening.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Where are you living where you can live comfortable on less than $20k?!?

Goons are willing to accept various levels of comfort.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

So are taxes just not a thing for you, or...?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

1/4 of a 2-bedroom apartment is 75% less than a 2-bedroom apartment. Also trying to figure out if literally any leisure activity at all counts as "luxury you don't need" to you. Willing to bet it does. Either way, you called me "dog" which is fun.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Edit: gently caress talking about the election.

quote:

This is the nitpickiest poo poo I've heard all day. I think it is obvious when someone says they are living in a 2 bedroom apartment they aren't paying the entire cost of the rent by themselves otherwise why would they be living in a 2 bedroom.

And I included going out and snowboarding in there so...........

That's really not obvious to everyone.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

lol well idk what to say. It seems obvious to me. Who pays for a 2 bedroom apartment as a single person with no roommates or gf/bf?

Lots of people, for a variety of valid reasons that don't suddenly make them bad with money.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

K well I might be in the wrong and I might be in crazy town but okay people rent 2 bedroom apartments with $30k/yr for the lols I guess.

I still don't see how you couldn't easily be flush with cash with a $60k/yr income in San Diego unless you're blowing it stupidly.

Someday, when you're making $60k a year, you will.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I get the feeling she has some self-generated reason why she can't go out with him and his friends, and his refusal to stay home and watch Netflix with her every weekend night is the root of the problem.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I apologize for my role in the Moridin920's Understanding of Personal Economics Derail and am willing to concede that I am in fact "flush with cash, dog" for the sake of ending it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

Man if I had those tickets on me I prolly woulda pulled them out and ripped em up right in their face without a word.

Is anyone else picturing Jianyu/Jason from The Good Place?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Honestly it sounds like he's just not that into her.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

What movie?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pvt.Scott posted:

He's Just Not That Into You, I assume.

Son of a bitch, there's actually a movie with that title. Huh.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

When my (24f) boyfriend (23m) of six months, I grabbed his phone and keys and threw them in the water at the riverwalk. I apologized profusely but he's using this to turn our mutual friends against me. How to move past this?

I wonder what other insane poo poo she's done that she hasn't told us about.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

Bingo.

Cellphone tosser would have been fine if she had just dumped him then and there. Throwing his phone and keys into the water is vindictive as gently caress for six months of dating. Jesus and the cops got involved? Fuckin a lady youre lucky as gently caress he didnt press charges.

I don't think that thread's going to be long for this world. When she doesn't get her validation it's gonna be delete time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mirthless posted:

I have to say, I'd really love to know how the gently caress a javascript engineer ended up with $235k in debt

Seriously, that's enough money to get by in Encinitas for a decade!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mirthless posted:

man I think you guys just don't know enough people who are bad with money :colbert:

...I really want to know what the hell his student loans are for, though, god drat.

Probably didn't get the memo about University of Phoenix being meant for people with GI Bill money.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

La Brea Carpet posted:

He has a ton of debt, but I think the dad mostly objected because THEY WERE TALKING MARRIAGE FOR A WHILE AND HE HAD NEVER TOLD HER ABOUT HIS 350K OF DEBT

Dad's gonna save him the trouble of telling her now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mirthless posted:

What the gently caress could he have possibly needed an $85,000 loan for?

The engagement ring of her dreams!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

tater_salad posted:

Even better if she said she didn't want one like in that post a billion years ago.

Irrelevant.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Hold her purse for her once in a while if she needs you to for God's sake. It's not like some leprechaun is going to suddenly appear and call you a human being before punching you in the balls. I swear, some guys are such bitches about their masculinity.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I love it when people use hyper-specific terms like "chivette" and just assume the world at large is supposed to know what that is.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Being division-specific is weird. Just cite the conference, we'll infer the division.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Military dad needs to dress up as batman, show up to the house and explain why daddy has to go away to fight criminals or whatever

Radical Islamic Terror.

Say it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Red Pill actively trolls r/relationships for "research" purposes and that thread fits that bill.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pick posted:

what a bunch of morons

I'm tempted to post something in support of the OP just to see if it results in a TRP thread.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

I found the thread and they're into vore. He's also unemployed and lives with his parents. This girl is so dumb. She never even met the guy IRL.

I swear to god half of the long-distance "relationships" in there are between people who have literally never been within 100 miles of each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Your cat doesn't give a gently caress about you.