Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Why the gently caress do my forearms hurt when I do bicep curls? Are my forearms too weak compared to my biceps or am I just being a goofy rear end and doing them wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Batterypowered7 posted:

Why the gently caress do my forearms hurt when I do bicep curls? Are my forearms too weak compared to my biceps or am I just being a goofy rear end and doing them wrong?

They hurt because you're using them. Unless you feel like it's preventing you from getting a good biceps workout (you reach failure due to forearm fatigue before you get a good stimulus for your biceps), don't worry about it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

feelix posted:

They hurt because you're using them. Unless you feel like it's preventing you from getting a good biceps workout (you reach failure due to forearm fatigue before you get a good stimulus for your biceps), don't worry about it.

It's not like a sore pain. It's sharp pain, kind of along the bottom right of my firearm if I place my hands palms down, and then they hurt afterwards when I pick up 45s from the floor with both hands. They actually hurt significantly just doing curls with 20lb dumbbells (much less so if I do hammer curls instead).

Fake Edit:

Just did some regular curls and my forearms didn't hurt if I squeezed the gently caress out of the handle. Maybe I hurt something by not squeezing hard enough previously and straining my forearms in a weird way.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Then do the version that doesn't hurt?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Well, sure, but I'd like to know the underlying cause of the pain. Seems like a good thing to know.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Batterypowered7 posted:

Well, sure, but I'd like to know the underlying cause of the pain. Seems like a good thing to know.

It's not

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Sounds like golfer's elbow perhaps? Or one
of that family of forearm tendon bullshit

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
There are several threads in YLLS for lifters of different experience levels where we relitigate the issue of pain while lifting on, no joke, almost a daily basis. I suggest you read one of those instead of asking GBS.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
yeah wouldn't want to clutter this thread up with too many posts

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
sometimes i get a little tendonitis and the theraband flexbar is pretty nice for that but it kind of sounds like you might have strained a muscle or something and should just do things that don't make it hurt until it doesn't hurt anymore

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Concatenation posted:

yeah wouldn't want to clutter this thread up with too many posts

We post about it so much that we have cool inside jokes about it. If I post about it here I can't make those

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

feelix posted:

We post about it so much that we have cool inside jokes about it. If I post about it here I can't make those

We could come up with a new inside joke, you and I.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
man people say nitric oxide is good for pumps but i did a bunch of whippits and that did not help

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
My scuba instructor who was also my drug dealer told me that the dissolved nitrogen in my tissues from scuba diving would give me better pumps and I don't think that's true

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

nooneofconsequence posted:

every day can be leg day

speaking from recent experience, do it.

Boogan
May 1, 2005

f off

Batterypowered7 posted:

This is a very common issue especially for less experienced lifters. Basically you just exceeded your ability to recover from this exercise. Drop curling completely for 4-6 weeks to give yourself some time to heal. Then slowly reintroduce curls starting with low volume.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I think 4-6 weeks of complete rest is way too long. I would restart activity immediately at a very low intensity (like pink dumbbells low) and see how the pain responds

Boogan
May 1, 2005

f off
Theyre still gonna be doing rows and pullups and deads and poo poo, thats gonna slow recovery down. Anyway, do whatever the gently caress... you wanna do.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I used to get awful forearm/elbow tendinitis in one arm. I switched to a thumbless grip for some things like pullups, avoided whatever that seemed to directly trigger it but powered through everything else, and since I've been using knockoff fat grips for all my dumbbell lifts it hasn't flared up again.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
New exercise

https://i.imgur.com/VK2iVnt.mp4

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Got my new plates. Time to see how accurate 1rm calculators are.

e: Verdict: Pretty loving good! I'd been stuck with 300 lb since that's all I owned, and didn't deadlift for awhile because I knew I'd blow past that, I kept loving up my back, and I hate deadlifting for reps. I got up to 300x9 before today. A couple calcs put my max at 370-386. Pulled 385. Shoulda put 3 lb to make it 2x bodyweight but oh well. My pr is 495 but I was about 85 lb heavier so I'm pretty happy with 385 today.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 12, 2023

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I've been doing so much dead lifts that the skin on my palms is tearing off, so I guess I need gloves or something. Max was 135 kg but been doing volume at lower weights. I did not expect to be palm skin limited on this.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

doverhog posted:

I've been doing so much dead lifts that the skin on my palms is tearing off, so I guess I need gloves or something. Max was 135 kg but been doing volume at lower weights. I did not expect to be palm skin limited on this.

You don't use straps at all? Those might be better than gloves.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Use straps not gloves

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

doverhog posted:

Try starting with the bar in your fingers, not your hands, and use straps to save your hands if your still losing skin until your grip strength catches up.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Batterypowered7 posted:

You don't use straps at all? Those might be better than gloves.

Haven't been using anything except bare hands.

** thanks for the advice

doverhog fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 9, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I picked some up some of the heavy duty ones from Pioneer a while back: https://generalleathercraft.com/product-category/pioneer/wraps-straps-and-sleeves/lifting-straps-by-pioneer/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RP video on using straps

https://youtu.be/10gP3nfpr2g?si=koVvi_q6buAxT8Oa

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I prefer figure of eight straps to normal straps and also versa grips are worth considering.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

yeah I can't use regular straps. I must be doing something wrong, but I feel like I can handle LESS weight with regular straps. Fig 8 straps own though.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
All those muscles wont do you good in the streets, learn bjj bros.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

One of the best videos on the "just learn bjj for all the street fights you obviously get into" crap is the one where the bjj bro gets a guy in an arm bar on the ground and oops guy whips out a knife in his free hand and stabs bjj bro to death.

Yeah Congratulations man you had floor control or whatever with your magic grappling.

Or the MMA video where bjj bro gets a guy into a submission but the other guy just stands up with him.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Buddy, if I'm bjj-ing some dude out on the streets we're both getting arrested for lewd and lascivious conduct in public. No thanks!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Guyver posted:

One of the best videos on the "just learn bjj for all the street fights you obviously get into" crap is the one where the bjj bro gets a guy in an arm bar on the ground and oops guy whips out a knife in his free hand and stabs bjj bro to death.

Yeah Congratulations man you had floor control or whatever with your magic grappling.

Or the MMA video where bjj bro gets a guy into a submission but the other guy just stands up with him.

never skip leg day (because running away is the best strategy)

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Mozi posted:

never skip leg day (because running away is the best strategy)

That sounds dangerously like cardio. I will simply squat all those present to establish dominance.

Boogan
May 1, 2005

f off

Buschmaki posted:

Have you been waiting to post this for 15 years?

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

Being strong helps you do bjj better though

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

BJJ is fun to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Hellblazer187 posted:

BJJ is fun to do.

This.