Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I think my gym is slowly dying. They used to have everything in a moderately well sized room, but moved the free weight stuff into a smaller room downstairs. I actually liked this, because it meant less middle aged men curling an empty bar in the squat rack or old people whining about music being played/noise created by padded plates hitting the rubber mat. I've usually spent all my time here, but recently started going to the big room to do abs, stretch etc. It used to be full at the times I go, but recently it's been completely empty or max 2-3 people. My only reason to go here is because it's a 5 minute walk from my home, but I guess someone else would take over if the current owner failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

E_P posted:

My lovely new wrist strap snapped on the stitching during a 595lb deadlift. My old ones from elitefts lasted 7 years and these lasted all of 4 weeks.

I got Versa Gripps recently. While expensive, they seem pretty decent.

Bought small because I got skinny wrists, but that might have been a bad choice. My only problem with them is that I feel the "flap" could come longer way into my hand, although I still get a really good grip with them.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Quinoa and hemp are the only vegan sources that have all essential amino acids afaik.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

OHP is a bitch. I hit 90x5x5 and only the last rep of the last set went up slow. Then the next time it rolls around 4 days later and I do 95, I only get 4 reps, then 3 then 3. So I just went with that then a couple of sets of 65x8 after. I did rush it a bit and only waited a minute and a half between sets so maybe that was partially it. Or I need some 1.75lb plates to go up slower. I'm supposed to bench 155 5x5 tomorrow hopefully that goes well.

I've never done or understood doing multiple sets with the same heavy weight. It seems counter intuitive.

Every strength program I've seen beyond SS tells you to build up to one or max few heavy sets, then back down for hypertrophy.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Alfalfa has a good selection of different type of programs in his thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3526910

531 thread : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3170225

There's multiple apps for phones that can do every bit of calculation and tracking for you. I personally haven't jumped on 531, but the free android app I glanced at seemed pretty comprehensive and basically walks you through the whole workout with even a rest counter.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Started 531 today (bench), boring but big style. I've been scared off by the volume in the past, but turns out it's not that bad. Did some inverted rows, close grip push ups and body drag curls on top. Feelin' good.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
I made the mistake of buying an under armour shirt with a hood recently. It's the most pointless thing ever. What the hell would you need the hood for at the gym. The drat thing just gets in the way, especially when squatting.

My favorite are people who have to wear all the sports clothes and equipment they own at the same. The best combo I've encountered included wrestling shoes, knee high socks, tights, knee sleeves, shorts, hoodie, wrist wraps, elbow sleeves, belt, cap. All must be worn through the whole session of course. Gotta properly protect the body for that 2" rom squat.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
I think he went vegan just few years ago? You can tell because his material suddenly changed from ":smug: heh vegans" to ":smug: heh meat eaters"

I used to like/tolerate him, but his dumb comments about Robin Williams killing himself pushed it too far. He's a sad man and a mega burg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIhyZaA8yqo

I wish I could find the part where they're sitting at a table and he actually refers to her as female humanoid.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Pesmerga posted:

The first 5/3/1 cycle is a bit too easy, I'm lifting for 7 reps the 3+AMRAP set, but I have a feeling I'm going to catch up to my limit fairly quickly.

It's on purpose according to Wendler. Just completed my first cycle. DL was the easiest for me, did 11 reps on 3+ set and 8 on 1+.

Bench was on target, DL and press went up. Last squat workout was an absolute disaster, because for some reason I wanted to try a wider stance than my regular tried and tested, which caused an old back issue flare up again and I only managed 2 reps on the 1+ set. :negative:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Dum Cumpster posted:

That's a good explanation.

I've never heard of someone getting injured with an ab wheel. Humans are amazing.

Doing them standing up (like straight legs) is apparently the cause of many back injuries. According to one story, that's how Bruce Lee hosed up his back (the other claims doing good mornings).

My shoulders have been bothering me lately and I found doing this instantly eases the pain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsmeXwHu6W0

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Didn't really feel like it, but tomorrow is my first work day after a week off and I'd probably feel even less like it, so went to almost completely empty gym to get my squat on.

Tomorrow it's most likely packed, think I made the right choice.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Pesmerga posted:

Hmm, not sure if it's just getting old, or whether it wasn't as funny as previous years' efforts.

How many ways can you make fun of someone lifting weight wrong, but at least no fap Dr Manhattan got a chuckle out of me.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZ_l7Lt22s&t=189s

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

E_P posted:

How about you just do a 1 rep max instead of employing math to showcase your strength?

So what's your current pr on [lift]?

Well in 2012 when I was still lifting seriously and my wife hadn't yet thrown my favorite gym shorts in the trash and I had my old job and could actually sleep well at night and could afford to eat steak 5 nights a week and Trump wasn't president and

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
I recommend getting one of the apps for your phone instead of fumbling around with a piece of paper like an animal. I use the one by sarasoft, it's pretty decent.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
So I bought that renaissance periodization $100 excel sheet, because apparently im totally clueless about eating the right amount of foods even after all these years.

Something was definitely off, because I went straight to first cutting phase and my workout day carbs is probably double what they were before.
Must be working, immediately busted a dl record. :getin:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

Do you really need a spreadsheet for this? A guide telling you what to eat every drat day

Like I honestly don't get it. Don't they have food labeling in America? Just look at the back of the foods package and you can see what's in it if you want to know what you're putting in yourself

It's not hard! It's not hard at all! And then you don't have to follow someone elses food guide, you can make your own :O

It tells you how much protein, carbs and fat (as grams) you should be eating at what time, based on what you're doing that day (rest, light/moderate/heavy training) and what your goal is. There's multiple phases for cutting, maintenance etc.

For me, this makes meal planning very easy and reminds me how I should structure my meals every time. I have no problem paying someone with the knowledge to calculate all this for me.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Fish oil has been found to turn from positive effects to negative on high doses, so instead of helping it starts to cause inflammation and heart problems. If you're taking few capsules/teaspoons a day you're fine.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Eat most of your carbs around your workout, before and after. Time of day doesn't matter.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
You're probably holding the bar too far near your fingers instead the heel of your palm:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
If I hadn't bought the RP template already, I'd probably give Layne Nortons site a try. I think it does pretty much the same thing, but it's a monthly subscription costing :10bux: : https://www.avatarnutrition.com/

I've been on cut 1 for a few months and actually gained like 3-4 kg, should really progress to cut 2.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Maybe one of his plastic implants started leaking or they have slowly been poisoning him

Hope he pulls through goddammit

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
All around stand up guy and nattiest natty to ever natty Mike O'hearn uses this situation of his friend being in a coma to remind us all he is natty and steroids are bad :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkgDW6wDcO0

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Sponsors, bodybuilding organizations, they want you to believe you too can get as jacked as they are by buying their magical fart powders and programs

One of the funniest thing to me is how blind people become to the effect of PEDs especially when they've been on them for a longer time. They completely forget exactly how powerful they are and start to actually think the main reason they are so strong/big is because they are so good at lifting and start to sell their retarted programs and give sometimes downright harmful advice on youtube (see CT Fletcher etc.)

One bodybuilder actually said in an interview here, that steroids might give you like 3% advance over natural. Like people would risk loving up their natural hormones and die 20-30 years younger for that

I have zero problem with anyone using steroids, but people trying to claim they don't use, when it's obvious they do is pathetic

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Wasn't there a study that showed people on steroids sitting on their rear end doing nothing gained more muscle than people who actually were working out naturally? Or was it bunk?

Yep, it was real

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
When I started 531 in january, I had huge problems with squat. I managed 3x110 kg at best and it was hard, my knees and back hurt, and it generally felt like poo poo. Other lifts were progressing well, squat continued to be terrible. In march it all culminated in me tweaking my right knee with some puny weight and I was ready to totally give up on squat. I started thinking about alternative methods like doing some bastard version of a belt squat, but it became obvious, that the only option was to HTFU and work on it. So I got some actual power lifting shoes instead of chucks, knee sleeves (on top of the tweak, my knees have taken a bit of a beating, so they definitely help me), and really worked on my form. After a period of trial and error, strength going up and down, everything finally clicked and I actually started progressing. Last week I lifted 3x140kg with decent form and no pain or discomfort.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

JFairfax posted:

who on earth told you to squat with toes pointed forwards?

Correct me if im wrong, but i think it depends on your stance. Wider the stance, the more you should point your toes out. If you're really narrow, you should point them forward.

What finally worked for me, was mid high bar and quite narrow stance. It feels nice and solid, while low bar wide stance feels wobbly and weak.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
I was sure the news were bullshit, because the first source I encountered was that oval office Bradley Martyn

:rip: goddammit

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I only see elgintensity's videos and I'm glad to not know about any fitness YouTube drama

I know Elliot hulse had a channel and then disappeared for some reason and I never knew why

The scooby channel also closed for a few months because of 4chan harassment or something

That's my knowledge of YouTube fitness drama, like and share with your friends

Elliot got so badly burned by IE he went hiding for a long time (about the pseudo spiritual garbage he kept spewing)

Scooby and his family got harassed by 4chan, including his boyfriend or spouse or whatever and I think his employer got involved too

Bradley screwed Genuinely Nice Guy Calum Von Moger in their joint fart powder business, made a half hearted apology to him, then demanded Calum take down the apology and every related video. Then people started opening about all kinds of shady stuff with him. He wanted to charge some other youtubers like 30k$ just to appear in their videos, he talked poo poo about famous fitness people in conventions, wears a hat 24/7 because he's so ashamed of his balding, didn't give some youtuber a blanket when he stayed in his house. Now he owns a kick rear end gym which attracts cool people (Hafthor, Klokov), but spends most of his time making retarted click bait videos with titles like I ate 2 tons of pizza where he eats 2 slices of pizza

That's what I've gathered.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

buddhanc posted:

I'm running kinda low on deadlifting music at the moment. Anyone have something really nasty that makes you lust for death by iron?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXnmGB0m360

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
For some reason my squat is going up really fast, but everything else is painfully slow (531). My goals for this year were 120 kg bench, 160 kg squat and 200 kg deadlift. At this rate I'll hit the squat goal in a few cycles, but dl and bench I'll be surprised to get this year.
Current PRs are 1x105, 5x140 and 1x180. DL was going well until my knees decided they hate sumo and I had to switch back to conventional.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

bamhand posted:

That's a pretty big gap between your squat and deadlift goal. I only have a ~50 pound difference between those.

That's because squat used to be my weakest lift. It's definitely catching up now.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I dunno, 5/3/1 has so many variations, even with the deloads there are variations. Last time I did a deload I came back weaker, probably because I didn't actually need it. Of course I gained my strength back in like 2 workouts IIRC so it's not a big deal. I think I'll just see how I feel when Tuesday gets here. With my work hours and all the meds I take, sometimes I just have a crappy couple of days here and there.

I've usually done 3 weeks 531, deload week (70% weights, no extra sets, just work up to "max"), 3 weeks 531, one week off. Now instead of full deloading on week 4, I only used slightly less weight/volume and started another cycle. End of the cycle and my body feels like poo poo and everything hurts. Gonna take a week completely off and get a massage on tuesday.

What should decide how and when you deload is what is enough for you. For some it's just doing less volume. If I take a week completely off and do nothing, it usually takes me couple of workouts to get back into the groove, but that's normal and you should look at the benefits in the long run. Take time off when you feel you need it.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Would lifting shoes with a .6" lift still be okay for low bar squats you guys think? I like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7HXCX1/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I've just been squatting in my beat up rear end nikes so far, I'd really enjoy something more stable.

Also I hate chucks, I won't wear them.

e: also for what it's worth I squat with a fairly narrow stance with low bar.

I got the Powerlift 2s in a sale when the 3s came out and they've served me well. At least in my experience they definitely make such a big difference, they're worth it.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
I started having stomach problems ~august 2017, which slowly got worse, more frequent and by april this year, I was in pretty much constant pain, threw up each morning, regular mild diarrhea etc. Few doctor visits later and barely coping with the aid of some meds, finally got the diagnosis in early august: celiac disease.

Slowly getting better, but apparently it can take like 6-12 months for your small intestine to completely unfuck itself.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Data Graham posted:

the virgin powerlifter / the chad couch potato

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
Abandon all hope you who are natty, you'll never look good

Embrace the fat, hail salami

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Constipated posted:

Man on man chilling in the sauna for a minute to warm up from being out in the cold makes my pre workout poop loving rocket out of my rear end. Good thing I always have the place to myself when I get here because if I chilled in there during busy hours and the two stalls were taken by the time I got out I'd be in a serious predicament.

It's absolutely normal for poop to just fly out of your rear end after some man on man chilling in the sauna

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice

Sludge Tank posted:

So i have a pair of what i thought were really good Sennheiser CX686G sports earphones. Just like every other pair of earphones ive owned they got fucky at the 3.5mm connection and are now hosed.

Im pretty picky about the sound quality of my in-ears and really like the big bass they provide. Whats the sound quality of wireless like in comparison to something like the sennheisers? Squatting and deadlifting is whats loving up the connection as it gets crimped in my hip crease.

I recently bought the JBL Everest 110's and think they're pretty decent.
Sound quality is good and packs a punch. They block sound from outside pretty well too. Battery lasts about 5 hours. If you have tiny ears you might have problems with the fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsdWLtPAVqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckTHKCY6Q3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx08MK_O_TQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG6rygzaLbU