Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Metanaut posted:

I've never done or understood doing multiple sets with the same heavy weight. It seems counter intuitive.
Because it's not heavy. As new/weak lifter you can 5rm baby weight for 3x5 and not have it kill you. That's why when you switch to 531 you also switch to a monthly 5rm (you should ideally get at lest 5 reps with your 1+ set) with weekly back off sets (FSL or BBB). Texas method does the same thing only with a weekly 5rm with front loading all the volume on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I've read somewhere high volume chinups help with tennis/golfer's elbow by forcing blood flow into the tendons. So for the next couple weeks find a pull up bar and go to town twice a week.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yeah the first couple cycles are supposed to be light. If you want something harder try Jokers. After your amrap add 5 or 10% and do a set with reps up to whatever week you're on (5s, triples, or singles). Keep adding weight each set till you don't think you'll even get a single.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Wendler kind of addressed that in Beyond with 5's Pro and Jokers. But that just turns 531 into a Starr style ascending 5x5.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If you don't want to do power cleans just do a 3x5 of beltless deadlifts at 75-80% of your last 5 rep deadlift.

Also warmupreps.com

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pesmerga posted:

I think you're doing 5/3/1, right? If I remember, it should be every fourth week, after the 1+ week.
Wendler has switched his thinking to a "7 week protocol" were after two cycles you either take a test week so you can set your tm more accurately or an actual deload if you feel you need it. I haven't read 531 Forever yet but that's what I've pieced together from Wendler's posts here and there.

Test week works because high intensity super low volume works as a deload as well.

Dropping volume and keeping intensity the same (except for pulls it drops a bit for those) is what I believe Greg Nuckles recommends.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

and completely ignore supplemental stuff and probably just cut my accessory sets in half.
Considering most of the volume in 531 is from supplemental and accessory work if you didn't cut those out before you didn't actually deload anything.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

eh that's what I though but I keep reading about how in theory you should be able to squat nearly as much as you deadlift since they work similar muscle groups. I'd be ok if they were remotely close but I'm talking 115lb squat vs 215lb deadlift here.

You have 20 years give or take of practice at bending over to pick things up. How long have you been putting poo poo on your back and Squating with it?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sludge Tank how much sleep, actual sleep not laying in bed awake, are you getting? How high is the quality of protein are you eating and are you eating fruits and vegetables? Are you active outside of lifting?

If the answers are less than 7-8 hours a night, majority isn't animal based, not much and games are an activity. You are going to feel like garbage.

Go to bed at 10pm, eat a steak and salad then go for a couple walks a day.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Some people think cooking destroys choline. Except there's no studies that say it does and the USDA says a cooked egg has more available. It's also all in the yolks so even if it did just either soft boil them or serve them over easy if it worries you.

So yeah probably just bullshit like the soy and milk thing, that caffeine blocks creatine or when people say heating whey destroys the protein.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The effects of NSAIDs are temporary, chronic overuse injuries like tendonitis are the body going overboard trying to heal you. Knocking the swelling down a little for 4-6 hours isn't going to do much. Mainlining anti inflammatories for a few days suppress the over inflammation long enough to get the blood flowing to the joint area again and start healing.

1800mg a day for 10 days seems like a bit hard on the stomach. I've heard 3200mg/day for five days. Which while is more per day but is a shorter exposure and less overall.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

But I swear, and I do not imagine this, anytime I sort of take a break for a week or so, I definitely lose some noticeable strength. But it literally comes back in 1 or 2 workouts. It's like my body peaks and de-peaks really easy or something.
It's called detraining, you didn't practice whatever lift for a week so you're not doing it as efficiently. Olympic lifts like the snatch will be hurt more than the squat and the press, those will be hurt more than bench which will be hurt more than deadlifts (sumo more than conventional.) The more technical a lift is the more you need continuous practice but it's still a skill you know so getting back at it doesn't take long.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Depends on the state. In Florida you get a up to half your previous full time rate caped at $275 a week for 26 weeks. You also have to fill out a log of applications you filled out to keep getting it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Maybe you should do something to gain more lean mass like eat more.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Why do people try to rack the weight when they can't get it up? If you can't press it up, it's not going to make it in the hooks. Keep it away from your drat face/neck. up to 200 something lbs isn't going to kill you if you set it down on your stomach.
A few reasons. The bar path of a bench press isn't a straight line. Once he touches he starts to press but hits the sticking point, he gives it a little leg drive to kick the bar toward his shoulders which would allow him to flare his elbows to increase his chest's assistance to the lift. But he over shot it and instead of grinding out the rep over his shoulders he threw it at his face.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Out of curiosity, do they have any spreadsheets with sort of just a 50/50 split on strength and hypertrophy?
The powerlifting templates are split into hypertrophy, strength and peaking. You run them in blocks and they're sold individually.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's one pound and easy to maintain. Greg Nockols did a video on how fast you can lose weight without losing muscle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER0XQEWyqjo

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Weak magnets. Sow one to the curtain and use mounting tape on the other. Use as many as needed.

You can get a pack of magnets at any hard ware store.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Squats and deadlifts will always feel heavy forever. You can smoke a weight and it still feel like it was going to kill you and had to grind on it for minutes. It was actually 10 seconds. Your mind and body lies.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yeah apparently anything less than that doesn't doesn't do anything in acute doses. Which means caffeine pills, cups of coffee and most pre-work outs are pointless out side of the general effects of caffeine.

Another thing is if you're a coffee fiend chronic caffeine use doesn't effect acute dosing for performance.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Fartbox posted:

I take two caffeine pills which is 400mg which has a very, incredibly clear effect on me both in how I feel and look (I get real red lol)
That's that general effects of caffeine I mentioned. For an actual performance boost better start just grinding up the pills and snorting them off your gym's Ohio power bars.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You could get some dumbbell power hooks. They let you rack and unrack them off a bar in a rack.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Grump posted:

used lifting straps for the first time today. I feel like these things are making my grip worse and just making the bar too bulky. What's the big fuss about them?
They stop the bar from rolling in your hand without having to alternate grip or abuse your thumbs. You still have to actively grip the bar.

That said straps can make things worse if you have tiny hands.

If you don't have tiny hands and still have problems make sure you're using them right. They go around the back of the hand not the wrist. Pull them tight and hold them ready before you bend over to put them on. Start with your less dexterous hand. Warp them around the opposite side of the bar once or twice. Don't let them bunch up in one spot on the bar. It takes some practice to find the right tightness. Squeeze the poo poo out of the bar.

Also washing them a few times helps make them more pliable and put a little chalk on them before using.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

sassassin posted:

Don't pull them tight around your wrist.

The only way I can imagine them making grip worse is if you wrap them the wrong way around the bar.
I said not to put them around the wrists and I've seen people wrap them around the bar on the same side as thier fingers and then wonder why they aren't helping.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pulling the slack out of them before starting to wrapping them around the bar seems to help get them into place.

Though I guessing you're talking about the straps that have a loop in them. So "pull them tight" has a different connotation in that context.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Personally I prefer two lengths of seat belt cut out of a car in the junkyard.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Put the bar lower on your back if you're going to bend over that much.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If you drop a strict overhead press on yourself from lock out you were too stupid to live anyway. Humanity is better off without you.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Sludge Tank posted:

wtf is this vertical diet i keep hearing abt

Beef, eggs, dairy and rice.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

turns out Dr Mike Israetel is an "abolish the government" style libertarian which while unsurprising is still disappointing
Didn't his family have to flee from Russia when he was a child. I probably wouldn't be too keen on government either in that case.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Interesting that he jerked it on his back.

Seriously I don't think I've ever seen anyone do this before, doing it normally was probably too easy.

Behind the neck jerks are actually easier. The bar path is straight and you don't have to maintain a front rack. The only down side is some people don't have the shoulder flexibility to press from behind easily.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Pesmerga posted:

Why did I think first set last on deadlifts was a good idea. Why
You'll be fine, it's only an extra couple of sets at 55%, 60% and 75% (based on real 1RM not TM). Back off sets of 8 at 70-75% is basic hypertrophy programing. If you really want to hate yourself bump it up to 10-12 reps.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

They just wear out. You can only drop bumpers from over head so many times before the rubber breaks.

As expensive as they are bumper plates in a commercial gym that has an olympic platform should be viewed as disposable.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

nooneofconsequence posted:

How wide are your feet? I wear a 4E so "runs wide" never cuts it.
One size up on a Reebok legacy lifter should work.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I got a pair of Lite TRs a couple years ago on sale and they split down the side of the leather the first month I had them. I patched them with some shoegoo and canvas and still use them because they're comfortable.

Also New Balance makes decent duckfeet shaped walking/work shoes and Sketchers of all people make a good wide work boot that doesn't cost $200+.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Lean back more and get your chest to help your delts. A sticking point isn't where the bar stops it's before that where the bar starts to slow down. Your triceps are probably plenty strong enough considering you bench more than 140. If you're going to hammer anything it's your shoulders and technique.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Because it's painful or just uncomfortable? If it's just uncomfortable you'll adapt.

Strict pressing is great but it's kind of limiting if you're trying improve ohp.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If you watch you slow down at around the forehead then speed up again when your triceps take over. Push press cuts out the bottom and middle of the lift so probably not the best choice.

I'd just press more.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Just drop the $120ish on a Titan or Pioneer. No one is going to care what belt your wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You got a T gripper so you can warm up to the 1 and 2, right?