Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

UnfurledSails posted:

I have finally said gently caress it and bought a PPR200X power rack. Finally I can squat in peace without waiting in line forever like it's the loving DMV.

I have this and it works perfectly fine. I'm sure it'd hold up longer if I wasn't constantly dragging it in and out of position since I don't have the space to keep it set up all the time in my garage.

gently caress paying for a gym membership and having to commute to/from one. I don't have to deal with people giving me dirty looks for eating salami between sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I just ordered some dip bars for my power cage, I hope they work okay. Excited to fail after 2-3 reps.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Hey hun what's for dinner tonight?

"Whey protein powder"

Hey hun what's for dinner tonight?

"One liter of pinto beans"

Same protein content, you do you.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

mobby_6kl posted:

Man hex bar is basically cheating, isn't it? Our gym just got one and I gave it a try - added 5kg and completed the set way easier then before. No need for straps either, as with the regular bar I was losing my grip way too early. I did feel like I was missing something, which I think had to do with the higher handles that reduce ROM, so I'll try to flip it over next time.

Could you not get your hands on the part of the bar that is on the same plane as the weights? Not using the top grip position that the girl in the thumbnail of that youtube vid is.

I think that hex bar deadlifts are "easier" than regular at the same weight, so yeah I think you'd need to increase the weight on the hex bar to compensate. The result is working the muscles you're trying to target while helping eliminate the things that stop you from lifting more weight (your grip and the fear of destroying your spine).

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
I'm just getting back into lifting after just pure cardio (95% cycling) the last 6 months. Squatted last night and oh boy I'm walking like Frankenstein's monster today and am all set for Halloween now.

I'm going to need to watch a video on trap bar deadlifts because they didn't feel much like conventional to me, and being big and tall my normal stance had my hands hitting my legs during the lift. It seemed much more quad dominant, which might be the point, or might be because I squatted earlier in the workout.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Zzulu posted:

You guys do squats and deadlifts in the same workout? :stare:

How u not die

I'm working my way back into the swing of things with hilariously light weight to try to avoid DOMs, but some amount is just unavoidable. I did both yesterday because I probably won't have a chance to lift tonight because of Halloween.

Plenty of routines have you doing both squats and deadlifts in the same day, usually 1 is heavy low reps and the other is light high reps.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Something I never realized until recently, in the "chad memes" chad's head is literally the country of Chad

UnfurledSails posted:

When I was 220lbs at 5'8" I thought I would look my best at 165 lbs or so. Now I'm 165 lbs I realize how optimistic I was. gently caress. I'm sick of always looking slightly pudgy no matter how much I weigh and how much I lift.

I tricked myself into thinking I was like 20lbs away from looking awesome. I've lost 75+ and still feel like I've got a ways to go. Its because of how little muscle I've got on my upper body after years of cycling/running, but I still look bad with a shirt off at 6'5 and sub-200lbs. If only Donald Ducking was beach-appropriate.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Fartbox posted:

Yeah a lot of people think that if they just lose weight they'll look good. This only happens to people with great genes and frames. For most normal folk they'll just look weak and soft with a shirt off

Muscle is the only path to greatness.

At the very least I've gone from "looks bad with shirt on or off" to just "looks [less] bad with shirt off" which is a huge improvement.

Ideally I'd be bro lifting with maybe 1 day of legs with the rest of my leg energy spent riding my bike. Squatting heavy multiple times a week means I'm too sore to dish out pain on my group rides and thats half the fun.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Fartbox posted:

Just yesterday I saw a dude with his pants up to above his navel, almost at chest level. I think he might have had autism or some other retardation though

I like working out in front of a mirror too.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
This year I went from 230lbs in Jan down to an all time adult low of like 197 after a hard workout but usually more like 200. It'd be cool to go from 205 I'm at now to 190ish. It'd be cool to be more consistent with getting in the weight room twice a week, at the very least I'd like to get to maybe 10 unassisted pullups from the 4-5 I'm at now.

Unfortunately for my sport of choice (cycling) weight loss is by far the best way to improve. Being 6'5" I'm in trouble right from the start.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

LordArgh posted:

personally, i'm on the concentration camp diet which means i'll be subsisting mostly off a few slices of stale bread and some watery soup

Smashing rocks with a hammer all day while on an extreme deficit will get you shredded in no time.

I only gained 5 pounds this holiday season but am starting off the year 30 pounds lighter than I did last year. :toot:

Time to lift some things every once in awhile and continue my 15+ hours of cardio a week nonsense.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Firos posted:

I was on the phone for literally 2 minutes and someone just starting using the machine I was on. Lol wtf. There’s literally another machine 3 meters away no one was using.

What's your gym-dom's name? Did you pick up his weights and wipe the sweat off his benches the rest of the day?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

hemale in pain posted:

If you do cycling you can eat like 3000 calories and still lose weight. It's the best!!!

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Nice bragging about being above average bro. We're all doing our best with what we got.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Vargatron posted:

Hey guys how's my jerk form?

https://giant.gfycat.com/PositiveOblongHypacrosaurus.webm

Got a pretty bad concussion but I think it went well!!!

I think someone did a lowsy job on the sheetrock and that outlet is too high and makes that box fan not as useful as it could be.

Solid form, good depth. Not too familiar on that variant but it looks like you're getting rear end to grass.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Helios Grime posted:

Too tired to work out?

?

???

When you read that you don't get stronger by lifting weights but from recovering afterward, the next logical step is to just recover forever and never lift.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

dads friend steve posted:

It's important to squat outside the power rack without safeties

Otherwise he wouldn't be able to get the weights onto the floor for whatever complex he's doing.

My calves do this after most of my weekend bike rides. Not painful, just a tingly feeling.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

FizFashizzle posted:

ive been thinking of downhill biking

like the really suicidal kind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhBPFr3RRso

https://www.facebook.com/CrossFitGames/videos/2018-games-individual-crit/2142452939129886/

You could look like these idiots on a bike. Getting a bunch of hulking dudes on bikes in close proximity for what looks like the first time in their lives is very comical. Its like demolition derby but really slow.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

TenementFunster posted:

backwards ballcap, basketball shorts, Beats by Dre Studios, and a superhero t shirt is the most cursed gym fit c/d

Maybe with some tights to try and hide their lack of calf muscles.

Eating a bunch of eggs before bed is a good way to do the levitating sheets trick with some wicked farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Zev posted:

Other ideas for costumes for an overweight lifter (sometimes)goon and his normal wife?

Fred and Wilma Flintstone. Fred is in theory jacked from doing construction all day but its okay if you're just fat like John Goodman too.