Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pesmerga posted:

I have a cold and haven't left the house, so no cardio. Should I drop my calories a few hundred calories today, or eat at maintenance anyway? :/

And how many calories of salami?

Feed a cold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Why would you do roids

lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Asked my wife to pick up salami

Enjoy your ban for dodging the wordfilter.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

I've been doing front squats lately. And 2 second pause at quarter or half squat on the way up back squats. They are both very annoying for entirely different reasons.

Front squat because I have to use straps and have to fight forward lean hard near the bottom, pause because come on it just sucks pausing there.

It sucks pausing there because that's where the greatest compressive force occurs on the knee. You're loving up bad, bro.

If you're going to pause do it below parallel.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

It's in the program to pause there.

Your program sucks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

It doesn't go above 70% 1rm on reps that pause there, and it's a fairly widely used program. It's also only in one of the four week cycles, the lightest one overall, and it has helped immensely with form.

I'm not buying that it will hurt your knees. If it were true then squatting, even below parallel, would hurt your knees eventually because you're applying the same force every rep just for less time. And the programming isn't "half squats" it's pause in half squat position then finish the rep with a relatively light weight. There are plenty of normal back squats and front squats in the programming as well, often on the same day.

Below parallel the force on the joint at the point of greatest stress (accelerating up form a stop/downward movement) is trying to pull your knee apart, which your quadriceps are designed to work against.

Above parallel the force is compressive, trying to push your knee bits together. There is no muscle fighting that pressure.

There's no advantage to what you're doing. Your program is dumb.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Khorne posted:

That same compressive force is on your knee before you break parallel and after you rise above it. Pausing for a second or two isn't going to break the bank.

Force is mass times acceleration. Descending or ascending at a steady rate through that portion of the lift creates far less force than moving after a pause or change in direction.

This is basic maths.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
But if you're only doing a little bit of pointlessly damaging nonsense I guess it's alright.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Newton wrote some brutal poo poo about Sheiko on is blog.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Every body is garbage once it hits 30.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DisgracelandUSA posted:

155 OHP crew checking in

I hope you don't weigh more than 155.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FedEx Mercury posted:

I hate guys who drop the weight like that. If you can't put it down, don't lift it up.

Boo hoo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The best "pre-workout" I ever took for feeling weird at the gym was beta-alanine.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Can we have one page where people aren't bragging about their gay hookups?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If you can't bench press yourself & gf at the same time you're a failure.

Good thing I'm single.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Despite all the publicity cyclists tend to be on less gear than most other professional athletes.

The Spanish football team were practically glowing when they won the world cup under Fuentes' expert care.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GORDON posted:

NOPE down about 30 from last year.

Bucko.

All that salt causing water retention.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Did 2 sec down, 2 sec up 4x8 on the bench yesterday after not being able to go to the gym for about a week. Feeling it today. Feels good, man.

What WotD website do you get this stuff from?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Good ahead and Google slow sets, also negative sets. I can't be assed right now.

How much do you bench again?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I will be the first to tell you I'm a manlet that doesn't focus on getting the ginormous numbers, we've already been over this. Just eat some salami and chill out, man, maybe go read about negative lifts.

You don't need to do the weird poo poo they write about on t-nation. No one does.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

E_P posted:

Are yall ignoring your lower back exercises like hypers?

Yes. They're dumb.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Flexing your lower back with weight is a good way to develop back problems down the line.

Lower back muscles are for holding your spine in a fixed position, not grinding your disks into paste.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I only ever hurt myself when lifting.

Or sneezing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

In a perfect world yes, I think I know all the right things to do. I brace with a big breath like I'm about to dump a huge poo poo, etc. I had no problems taking my squat from 115-225 for reps and deadlift from 180-300 a couple years ago when I worked normal hours. But now that I work a ton, and I lift after sometimes I'm really tired and I have to be really vigilant I don't gently caress up. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I messed up putting the deadlift down. I think what happened is on one rep, I started lowering it faster than I wanted, and I tried to slow it down. Not in a very exaggerated way, but I definitely did something weird. I always used a platform at my old gym so I'd just drop them in a controlled manner. I think I may just do romanians or stiff legs until I join a better gym.

Also I don't do any other core work since I started lifting again a few months ago but I may start adding cable crunches and planks back in. I used to like doing those. e: bodyweight planks are one of those things it's okay to basically do every day right? I may just add them in to my stretching routine. Also I remember a while back Omar did a video on how they are actually good to do before you squat as a warm up to help get your hips and glutes going. Not sure if it's BS but I tried it a couple times and it seemed to help.

I don't think bodyweight planks do much to strengthen anything tbh. Like literally every other lift you need to progressively add weight to get anywhere.

If you can do something every day it's not worth doing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I can only train shoulders without elbow pain if it's been between 9 and 12 days since my last session.

#overthirtiesclub

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fallows posted:

steroids helps this

That's been my hope for a while.

I should have pulled the trigger by now but been too lazy (steroids will hopefully help with this too).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I one arm rowed the biggest, oldest, rustiest dumbbells in the gym tonight.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Doing bench and overhead press on separate days of a routine is a good way to fry your front delts.

Hope you're doing a lot of medial and rear work to compensate (and not a bunch of sets of front raises like half the clowns in my gym).

UnfurledSails posted:

Definitely buy fractional plates for OHP. 5 lbs jumps become infeasible pretty quickly with them.

Alternatively mix up the rep targets. Going from 60x5 to 62.5x5 is a big jump, but not a serious problem you're also doing 65x3 and 70x1 etc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That ones pretty slow isn't it? It would be good to do a program that progresses more slowly because I work all the time so recovery friendly stuff is good, but I think I have a good bit of noob gains to exhaust before jumping on something like 5/3/1.

5/3/1 is only slow if you follow it to the letter, do all your calculations with 90% of your 1rm as suggested, and never jump forward in weight when things seem easy.

That advice is for more experienced lifters with an established, ego-fueled when-the-wind-is-right max (like how I can bench 115). When beginners do it like that you see goons boasting about getting 12 reps in their final set of a 1+ day, thinking they've accomplished something worthwhile.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 11, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Overdoing front delts can lead to weird impingements and other fun issues, but mostly it leaves you with awful posture due to slumped forward shoulders. Blowing up your front delts makes for a lovely physique.

My expert opinion is that no one needs more than one press in their diet. Medial and rear delt work is essential if that press involves a bench. Front delts take care of themselves.

Doing a hundred pull variations at different angles is cool and good though.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A lot of the popular programs are written by dudes who admit they only include bench press because it's fun and people will do it anyway, it's the furthest thing from essential (unless you're training for a combine or actual powerlifting competition).

Big tits are for chicks.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

Don't bench press

I agree.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

im glad we can be friends but i'm going to need a new lifting nemesis. maybe sassassin? im pretty sure he started lifting the same time i did and he tried bossing me around about doing ohp and benching in the same week

When did I start lifting?

If you don't want advice you have to post a safe space banner first so everyone knows you're a sensitive baby. "Bossing you around" jesus get over yourself.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Paper Diamonds posted:

3)Skip the gym and stay home and watch netflix while eating everything

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You're not benching properly if you don't shuffle your feet around during each rep.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fallows posted:

Try benching with your feet on the bench instead of the floor

Have we considered not benching at all?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Update: shoulder still hurts really really bad to lift.

8 weeks no lifting

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Yoga is good, if they ran classes at my gym at a reasonable hour I would go (maybe).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

buddhanc posted:

Gym time dudes. Gonna go with tame impala today I think. Upper body poo poo, gonna get me a good pump.

You don't have to post every time you go to the gym.

This isn't facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Tried to do super light weight to test the shoulder yesterday. Tried to dumbbell press 25 and immediately felt pain in my shoulder. Looks like cardio, abs, and legs for the foreseeable future.

People gonna be like "drat, he skipped upper body day"

I told you, bro. 8 weeks.