Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I've been back at the Y during my summer between semesters. Haven't missed a day's exercise since I started on March 29 and it's been great for my mental health though I occasionally will have a philosophical dilemma where I have no output for the strength I've gained and I question the point of daily lifting.

I've enjoyed "target months" in June and now I've almost finished July, concentrating on classically underdeveloped areas. In June it was my lower back and legs, which saw great gains in my squat, deadlift and leg press numbers and my butt is lifted af. July has been upper back month and four weeks in I'm finally seeing the fruits of my efforts.

Dragging my heels to August though. Going to concentrate on core cause it's still made of pizza and Bad Carbs on account I refuse to change my garbo eating habits. I want what have been described by women as "gently caress me" hips (I knew them as the hip cut).

I thought about going to a real meathead gym, but the Y is so affordable and generally never busy during the times I go (early/mid morning, never peak bro evening), and my own wildly unrealistic motivations are enough to keep me going. Welp that's my gym story thanks for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Good points all around, thanks :)

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Dumb question maybe; earlier folks were saying bench isn't a good chest exercise. What are some good ones? I bench 235 as my maxout set, but I'm willing to weight down to better target dem pecs.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I had a tooth pulled today and the dentist told me I couldn't go to the gym for two or three days. I normally take weekends off because my shifts don't mesh with the Y's hours so I'm only losing tomorrow and friday, but those will be the first two weekdays I haven't exercised in four months. I know it's dumb but it's still bugging me :smith:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

ElectricSheep posted:

I just had this done with 2 teeth last week. 2 days in and my clots were fine and holding. So I went to the gym and did my thing wondering all the while if I'd blast the clots out of my tooth sockets like bloody Nerf pellets (didn't happen).

Now I get to see what happens when I have braces slapped on. I can't imagine there's much downtime, if any.

:smith: :respek: :smith:

I'll get over myself, though I'm especially annoyed since this is the last month I have off before i return to my classes and will lose two of the five days I normally lift on because my ... education... is more important

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Lol@ people taking precautions against injury amirite no pain no gain

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Chinatown posted:

jfc all the highschools around my gym are back in session and it is absolutely overrun with scrawny kids with beatz by dre cans

My Y would be full of people like that during peak hours. I avoid them by going at rear end o'clock in the morning (0530), where it's me, the other go-getters and the elderly. Glad my schedule allows this, a busy gym is no fun.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Gatdamn that woman strong af

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Sludge Tank posted:

im about to start my first steroid cycle

Found your problem

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Chief McHeath posted:

A Y downtown is probably old and bad and can't upgrade anything and they can't expand because there isn't anywhere to expand to and they don't get any donations. A Y out in the burbs is probably going to offer everything and more because they purchased a ton of land for cheap when that area started developing and the rich fucker that went to the downtown one in the 50s donated ten million bucks to put his name on the one near the $500,000 homes.

I was going to get butthurt in defense of my downtown Y but it's pretty legit - luckily for me I'm not hardcore and it has everything I need for a gym.

Speaking of, I've been on break for the semester and have not gone to the gym in a week, instead sleeping in and seeing friends and family. It's been nice for a change and I have accepted that all of my gains are negated and that I am going to have irreversible dadbod.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I use several supplements as positive reinforcers to keep myself motivated to go to the gym - creatine, a preworkout and protein powder. A coworker who objectively qualifies as jacked doesn't use any and is on a strictly keto diet. I refuse to see a correlation between those two things.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I guess I just keep from fully committing to the diet end because in not doing so I can just pass off any lack of progress as not having the time/money/will to engage that deeply.

Ugh, I'll just put in the effort.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I never thought I'd say this but that furry infographic taught me a thing about workout alternatives. Drop sets have been a good way to mix things up.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I gassed out today on a 275lb squat attempt and my only shame is that I made excessive noise when I dropped the weights. Still proud that I even made the attempt and am extremely grateful that I didn't injure myself. Gonna stick with a nice safe 250 cap for a time.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Why?

Just try 270 next time. :shrug:

250 seems pretty low if you tried 275. You didn’t jump from 250 to 275 did you?

I play it pretty safe normally, since I am extremely tall and have had problems with my lower back in the past.

Normally I sit around 225 as a max because I typically only have one day a week for legs, and while I might not be pushing it at 225, it's still a significant amount of weight for me. Today, after I had done several leg exercises (this was about 45 minutes into my hour), I popped on my old max and was surprised that it didn't seem especially heavy (this might just be an effect of the creatine I've been taking for a couple weeks at least in terms of stamina or I wasn't really pushing myself, I dunno), so I tried 235, did three reps, added 10 pounds, did three reps, all in increments until finally I was like "welp, I'll try 275 as the cap." I managed a rep, went for a second and crapped out.

I'll give 265 a shot, maybe 270 if I'm feeling good at the time. I'm not trying to get hyooj, lifting just keeps me sane while I'm in school.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I like my five day chest/arms/shoulder/back (upper and lower)/leg rotation, did not realize it was so passé

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I'm not actually attached to my routine, and I'm willing to try new things, hah.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Are there any books/regimens/resources for intermediate lifters? I'm at a point where I don't really have any goals outside of "2019 is my year of visible abdominals/orion belt" and "keep lifting to keep lifting heavier stuff."

I exercise at a YMCA and it isn't the environment for Olympic lifting, not that I'm especially interested. I guess I'm just looking for perspectives to keep me fresh is all.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

adonis belt. you idiot. you imbecile.

Sorry. Im sorry. I'm trying to delete it.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Why?

Just try 270 next time. :shrug:

250 seems pretty low if you tried 275. You didn’t jump from 250 to 275 did you?

Did a set of 4x275lb squats today (preceded by 4x265 then 4x270). The bar sensed my fear but I raised the safeties this time which took a lot of my mind off of bailing.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

Not even Thor Björnsson squats as much as he deadlifts. He only squats a measly 980 pounds

Pft, that's not even half a ton.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I'm going to shoot to bench 250 today and if I manage I'm going to feel very good about myself.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I'm going to shoot to bench 250 today and if I manage I'm going to feel very good about myself.

Thanks to a random spotter (glad I got over my fear of talking to strangers in the gym) I PR'd 250lbsx2 :feelsgood:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

Pretty much the same. Also it's cheap. I'll take a $35/mo garbo gym that's 3 blocks away over the $200/mo fancy gym 4 blocks away or the $250/mo legit PL gym that's a few subway stops away.

I may never know the joy of lifting with straight bars or platforms or bumpers or without the risk of contracting tetanus but I've been able to squat 400+ and DL 500+ without it so far.

Yeah, this is how I think about my Y membership. The equipment isn't fancy and the machines (when I'm bored enough to use cable or free machines) are nothing special but it's cheap and convenient and I don't need anything more right now.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

Sunday yoga is on my list of things to add if I can find a local place that focuses on mobility instead of realigning my butt chakra.

Like you Sludge I'm inflexible as gently caress and it's getting pretty embarrassing.

:same:

Well over a decade ago a chiropractor told me I had the flexibility of an 80 year old grandma, then walked it back and said he'd seen octogenarians with better flexibility.

I have avoided yoga because I don't want to creep on women, and the only way to do that is to take a spot in the front, which would expose my gangly rear end to the back.I know this is a dumb rationale don't @me

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Just go in the front no one cares really. Yoga is literally like the least judgmental activity.
I know, I know. I'm contemplating alternating yoga and cardio in the evenings a couple times a week. I know it conflicts with the gains, but I can be lean and strong to a point.

MarcusSA posted:

Also you get real real good at using your peripheral vision.
:lol:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Omnikin posted:

Just do one of the eight billion yoga routines on youtube in your living room you weirdo goons

Interacting with people? Not on my watch.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Oh great work reinforcing unrealistic male Ork stereotypes what about the rest of us Goblinoids

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Chief McHeath posted:

Getting a sizable chest piece on Thursday so I won't want to do chest, back or shoulders to avoid stretching and putting pressure on it for a while, so...

Gonna alternate arms and legs for like a week :getin:

This reminds me that I'm getting my lower stomach/hips tattooed in a week so I guess it's chest arms and shoulders for a bit while I heal.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 13, 2019

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Helios Grime posted:

Are you getting revolvers that look like they stick out from your pants?

Long barreled pistols covered by my underwear :clint: trashy af

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Chinatown posted:

Saw a big beefy Samoan guy benching 365 the other day.

I am, apparently, extremely weak.

I PR'd 250lbsx2 this week and I think I'll shoot for three at the end of the summer. Or at least, be happy with working towards three.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I like doing asymmetrical OHPresses with a kettlebell.

Are kettlebells bad? I don't care.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Yesterday a man at the gym told me "You're putting on size, dude, you're getting big" and I was extremely embarrassed for some reason and mumbled some true bullshit about that being a side-effect of the discipline of going to the gym for my sanity's sake as a student

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

This morning another dude who once gave me a spot said in passing "you're trimming, you're obviously working hard" so I dunno, between two accounts something is going on.

Also ditto on the tight clothing, I mean what else is the point of exercise if not to lord it over others

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

sassassin posted:

You're giving out signals.

It's been nearly eight months and its 2019 so I ain't judging

Fhqwhgads posted:

WAYWT hates tight clothing. I say they all just need to work out more.

To add to this, last night when I took off my dress shirt I was told my undershirt was looking like I was wearing a rash guard. Tight clothing is the tits when you're in shape.

While I almost exclusively wear skinny jeans, I prefer "fitted" to "tight." Also I've descended into basic wear and loose-fitting sweats are really comfortable.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

They're stretchy

Also I'm an ectomorph :negative:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Chinatown posted:

working out at a public gym without headphones is hell

Ugh, realtalk. My Y during the Monday to Friday has the most generic classic rock streaming for what I assume to be for the benefit of the largely boomer population there during the 7am to 9am slot. It's always cranked too, can hear it over my earbuds. I'm not saying the music I listen to is better, but at least I'm not subjecting it to anyone else.

Blissfully, this morning they weren't playing music.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

If I owned a gym, I think I'd just be music-free. If I had a spin room, I'd give instructors the option to play music but i figure most people have some form of personal music player on them, and since everyone's tastes are going to be different to some extent I'd leave it to them how they want to drown out the sounds of clanking and grunting.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Data Graham posted:

AAAAAA I finally just got above bodyweight in bench press, after it being tantalizingly out of reach (above a 15-lb jump in available weights) for like two goddamn years

Soon I'll be able to eat sunflower seeds off my pecs

Congrats, that must feel great! Yesterday I PR'd my incline press at 215lbsx2reps, which took all the wind out of my sails for regular bench, but in the coming week I'm going to try for 255x1, last PR was 250x2.

Question: how detrimental is concentrating on a particular muscle group day to day? My lats aren't quite the batwing I'd like, if I were to do pullups/chinups/raises three or more days a week would I be working against my progress?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

ElectricSheep posted:

One of my gym go-to Pandora stations is Carpenter Brut :hfive:

Similarly, I'm fond of Perturbator :respek: