Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Hang it round your neck while doing deadlifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Man I don't know if it should, but if seems like the good kind of pain that goes away I wouldn't worry about it. My back has been sore all over the loving place when I've been working at my physical job and doing kettlebell swings after work. It seems to have worked out.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 11, 2020

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Why did no one grip it on the outside of the bar, the end with the most plates. There was a grippable bit there. smdh

*fake video etc.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've been working out at work when there is time, night shift. It's nice, slow times; go do some dead lifts. Deadlift you can do if you got the bar and weights.

After it feels like dead-lifts have been done for the week, can still use the concept2 rowing machine that's there or gently caress around with the other weights. No rack or place to do bench.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Heaviest dumbbells are 10 kg. Done some lateral raises so I guess it's good for that.

Shouldn't complain too much, being able to work out at work is great, even if choice of exercises is limited.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

VorpalFish posted:

Floor press should be doable with barbell if you want, and you can probably clean whatever weight you'd want to use for ohp assuming the ceiling is high enough, so you probably have enough for a decent full body routine if you're in to that.

Maybe throw in some rows and you're in business.

The ceiling is so low I have to duck when walking around to avoid ?ventilation? pipes. There's a some fixed weight bars, heaviest is 40 kg, done some cleans and OHP with that after carrying it into the stairwell. Also rows.

Could use the full sized bar for more than deadlifts but don't think I'll bother with all that. I'm the only one using it at the moment so it's nice to just leave it there with the weight on and go back to it next week (and usually put on more).

doverhog
May 31, 2013

There's a lot of options and I appreciate the ideas put forth.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It sounds like a fun little thing to do as long as you know the limits, but if you are really gonna do it come off the deficit. Eat a lot.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I've been doing so much dead lifts that the skin on my palms is tearing off, so I guess I need gloves or something. Max was 135 kg but been doing volume at lower weights. I did not expect to be palm skin limited on this.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

You don't use straps at all? Those might be better than gloves.

Haven't been using anything except bare hands.

** thanks for the advice

doverhog fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 9, 2023

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Guyver posted:

One of the best videos on the "just learn bjj for all the street fights you obviously get into" crap is the one where the bjj bro gets a guy in an arm bar on the ground and oops guy whips out a knife in his free hand and stabs bjj bro to death.

Yeah Congratulations man you had floor control or whatever with your magic grappling.

Or the MMA video where bjj bro gets a guy into a submission but the other guy just stands up with him.

BJJ is terrible for defense against knives. You want JJJ or HEMA for that, or a gun, or just run away like was said.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Dum Cumpster posted:

Try starting with the bar in your fingers, not your hands, and use straps to save your hands if your still losing skin until your grip strength catches up.

This helped me. Dead lift max now at 145 kg.

Of course I slipped on ice yesterday and injured my knee. Doctor said it's not broken or ligament torn that she could see, but still putting weight on it hurts. Have to brace myself with my hands to get up from a sitting position.

Oh well, gotta eat lots of christmas ham to make it better.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

My knee is ok now, but I tweaked my back a bit, and also went on a cut. So, so far, 145 kg is still my max.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Perhaps he'll one day wear a bascinet.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'd love to use a trap bar but the work basement gym doesn't have one. :shrug:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Be the change for $64.99

https://a.co/d/7jegpfs

I might actually put in a request to management, tho that one is not gonna be available in Finland.

*i assume without looking, if i was wrong sorry played the odds

doverhog
May 31, 2013

This is a lot more than I need, so I just now put in the request (sent email saying it would be good for everyone that uses the gym) for a much cheaper bar. I'll let you (the thread) know what happens.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 16, 2024

doverhog
May 31, 2013

doverhog posted:

This is a lot more than I need, so I just now put in the request (sent email saying it would be good for everyone that uses the gym) for a much cheaper bar. I'll let you (the thread) know what happens.

I received a positive message back saying it would be seriously considered and thank you for the message, and that it should fit into the budget, so fingers crossed.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I workout every day but just think about starting to do BJJ or "striking". It would be as a hobby. Actually doing it has proved impossible within my schedule, or I just didn't actually wanna do it. :shrug:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The pain in my back receded and I was able to try to add weight on deadlift again, and hit 150 kg, previous max before leg injury and back pain (not injury that I know of, just pain) having been 145 kg.

It was nice to finally get here, like 6 months later than I thought I would, due to first injuring knee, and then having back pain. Oh well. :coolfish:

*still no trap bar

doverhog
May 31, 2013

feelix posted:

I lift weights because I want to spend my 70s and 80s doing the same nerd poo poo I do now instead of dying on my bathroom floor because I've fallen and I can't get up

I lift weights because I replaced alcohol addiction with it and turns out it's a lot more useful as addictions go.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Does someone have a working link to the comic you all are so hot about because it's not loading in the thread currently.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

B-Rock452 posted:

I can assure you I don't like the comic, my point was effort put into the gym made me appreciate effort put in elsewhere. Like I said everyone should pick something and work their rear end off to be awesome at it.

Everyone should also strength train but that's beside the point

Everyone should have a life they enjoy living, rather than dying, or wishing for death. That is a good starting point, and then you can go into the details.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

Sometimes when I'm in the gym I mutter things to myself like "Power is everything" or "The weak should be killed".

Also, perhaps you should relax a bit more. I like to get hyped up too but there are healthier ways to do it than "I want all the power so I can kill the weak".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

secular woods sex posted:

Is it acceptable to want the power to kill those who prey on the weak?

That would be better, yeah. I prefer to think I'm casting a spell to kill god and the reps and sweat (or any other liquids) are a components in the spell. Also think this during sex, just all around good hype to whatever intense thing you're doing. :cheerdoge: