Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

VorpalFish posted:

Step 3 is where everything goes wrong.

Also I'm pretty sure my shoulders won't do whatever the hell shoulders do in the snatch.

If you're in the states, find a Team USA-certified club. It's quite fun and you'd be surprised what your shoulders could do with some encouragement.

Edit: someday I'll snatch 100kg... Someday.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Male privilege is multiples of 10 without change plates.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bench to improve your shoulder stabilizers for OHP imo

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

david carmichael posted:

Are you grtting enough potassium and calcium and stuff? A friend/other goon went into like paralysis because he didnt eat enough minerals

Eat rocks between sets.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

The Front Squat is great but boy do I loving hate it.

That poo poo can really kick your rear end good.

I find stretching out and warming up my shoulders, arms, and wrists first really help with front squats.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Snatching is starting to click for me. Hit two sets of 56kg x3 start out this cycle's performance week. Probably could have gone to 60x3 but I still had back squats to do. Previous was 52x2.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zil posted:

Calfs say he didn't but glutes/thighs say he did. I don't know who to believe.

Leg day: all calf raises.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I cleaned 66x3 (hail satan) then went onto some jerk work and did 70x3 easy peasy. I should just stick to OHP.

Really though I've been training with clean/jerk and snatch for only five months. It's challenging going from casual power lifting to the much more dynamic lifts.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

N'thing the start competing thing with lifting or join a club that's into it. Nice having a group of fellow lifters to keep it going.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Needs to do more OHP.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chinatown posted:

im the slippers

you are making the assumption that he has ever done one rep on OHP.

either that or he suffered some injury, because even if you fail out you should have enough to push the bar away from you. he just totally collapses.

e: oh, he literally jumps during his upward motion. lol.

Feet should leave the platform during the second pull but this fellas jumping forward instead of moving them into catch position. Bar path probably isn't very vertical. So instead of bailing at the apex like a normal person this guy tried to muscle the 90kg into the catch/over center position.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Paper Diamonds posted:

As the saying goes:
It's a lifting competition, not a form competition.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh2s4PXFOMd/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

^^^ probably some powerlifting federations do somewhere. The IWF uses Olympic rules (20kg bar, 2.5kg collar) that specifies the bar. IPF does too I think.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

weird request but does anyone know where I can get a chart like this -

but assumes you are using a 20kg/45 lb bar instead of a 25kg bar? I mean, I know all I have to do is take whatever lbs I want and add 10 to it but if that exists why make it harder.

e: I think exrx has a calculator that can do what I want. e2: I know it's a tiny tiny thing but the stupid calculator only has 1kg plates. the ones in my gym go from 2.5kg to 1.25kg.

Think of learning barbell math as auxiliary work.

I had some major progress with clean n jerk this week. Did sets of 70kg x2 that felt like 30. Almost popped myself in the chin with the clean. This is midway through my first cycle of doing the full Olympic lifts from the floor so I'm pretty excited.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 19, 2018

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I realized I haven't benched in like a month.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I usually do some sets of weighted kettlebell push-ups to keep those muscles in line.

Probably bench more once my schedule flips and our new work gym opens.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chinatown posted:

i assume you are doing upside down kettlebellpushups right.

Depends what you mean by upside down.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That looks great for shoulder stabilization. Dunno about that plus balancing a 25kg plate but whatever. Ours are pretty rounded at the bottom at least.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Helios Grime posted:

6'3" checking in and while I suck at squats I do like doing them.

Man everyone is so crabby lately, are you all just antsy from having a rest day?

In other news, a friend of mine destroyed his ankle joint while playing hockey and is now bedbound for 8 weeks and I think I would consider euthanasia as a way out if that was me.

I'm generally cranky when I work the Saturday and Sunday night shift. Those are rest days I spend on my feet for 9-10 hours all night.

Also my lower back got doms'd from pushing front squats down below parallel (pushing mobility for snatch/cleans). Weird sensation having that sore but not hamstrings. I'm 6'2"!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Night shift does make sleep harder and we all know gains happen while we sleep.

Oh well this week is deload week in preparation for 2RM week after.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Killing Loaf posted:

Are you "all legs"? Squats are more about proportions than height. I'm 5'8" but have the legs of someone 6'+ thanks to scoliosis (pediatrician said I was supposed to be 6'2" from looking at growth plates when I was a kid but my torso is way shorter than it should be from the boneitis). My squat sucks and I have lots of problems with it but I still train it. I just don't expect to ever be good at them. I do stuff like split squats and leg press to help my quads and also focus on more upright variations (high bar, front squat) since I have to bend over so far on low bars that it fucks with my low back.

Have you tried squatting with Olympic shoe and high bar? The ones with the ~1" heels. Changed my squat world for sure.

I did some sets of high hang (basically power) snatch with focusing on getting under it and catching as low as I can. Pushed the catch down below parallel which is huge for my long rear end legs. So sort of an overhead squat too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

dads friend steve posted:

I remember seeing a video where Klokov says he prefers front squat for training weightlifting because it’s range of motion mimics important parts of clean & jerk and snatch

Why not both?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Today is intensity bench day and I have to hit 200 for triples several times. I think the 3x a week benching might be working out now that I seem to have recovered from the other week's shenanigans cause I hit a rep PR of 185x9 on amrap day a few days ago. But we'll see I guess.

How is everyone else's weekend going so far?

Lots of rest and general stretching in preparation for performance week where I'm 2-rep maxing the lifts.

Hopefully I'll put new numbers on the white board.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's not surprising since you use different stabilization in the trunk between the two. Keep at it, focus on form above all else, and it'll start getting closer.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

doverhog posted:

No it's not, it has lots people who have used it saying it works. The fact it was or is illegal is an explanation for why it's not common to use currently.

That's not proving it works from a scientific standpoint. Get to pubmed if you wanna answer that question.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

doverhog posted:

Sure, but the comparison to what old snake oil was is not accurate either.

It's pretty darn accurate. CBD oil gets called a magic cure all by the likes of that avacodo wolfe guy or whatever pseudoscientific woolooloo scam artist kids are into these days. They claim it'll cure everything from cancer, to diabetes, to gout, to squat butt wink.

That's different than claiming a medicinal use based off citing a scientific journal with a decent impact rating, however.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

doverhog posted:

Everyone can look up CBD and make up their own mind, with the internet. It is fundamentally different from old snake oil just on that basis.

You should also do your own research on vaccines and make up your mind about that too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is this a fair comparison? It's not like some ancient phage is going to come roaring back to eradicate your children because you did/didn't try out some CBD oil. Basically different risk/reward scenarios. With CBD what's the worst case? You are out some money? I remember some goon would always get snarky anytime you mentioned using a foam roller in the general ylls thread. Like chill out and let me do my drat thing, even if it's placebo. That said, it is good to be skeptical so I'm not knocking that.

I'm just knocking on the "do your research" part not CBD oil itself. It's a dangerous path going down that rabbit hole of doom and sorrow.

There's a nice pseudoscience thread in SAL if you wanna really get into the topic of CBD oil.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MikeCrotch posted:

You've convinced me op

Worked for Chris Benoit.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Heroins good if you wanna cut.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zil posted:

Especially income, savings, retirement plans. You name it, it makes life simple.

There was a goon (I think a goon but could have been from elsewhere posted here) that passed out on their arm and had to have it removed.

Anyways this weeks the 2rep max week of my cycle. Hit a snatch PR at 61kg x2. The 3x max was 56kg and my previous cycle topped out at 47kg x2. 61kgs basically 135lbs so remember your first 135lb bench? That's how I feel right now about snatching. Also got up to 112kg x3 on the back squat when I weigh 110kgish. Feels good exceeding my body weight for sets again.

Coach asked if I was down for my first competition in Jan/Feb. Told him I'm down so long as it's not too close after the holidays. Probably start programming for that next week.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

drat gotta get in on whatever's holding that phone in.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

oooOOOoooOOOoooOOOooo

I am the haunted coaaaAAAaaach

Today my gals and ghouls we are doing all accessory work....and stop squaaaaAAAts

Muaha

Muahahahahahaha

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Added 10kg to my clean and jerk today for a double at 77kg. Technique and mobility getting better and better. Had to muscle the last rep up on the jerk but that's ok.

Doing my body weight seems almost realistic now.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My thought on straps: you training your grip or your trunk?

Do farmer's walks too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gym got a new 20kg bar and I got to break it in with snatch+overhead squats. My hands will need some extra pumice stone whew.

It's nice and has a serial number engraved in it. Bet it has a CoA too!!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Burrito is an essential element of nutrition. Up there with like calcium and iron.

Trust me I'm a chemist.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MA-Horus posted:

shorts ride up when you're doing sumo, my dude

at least this guy's do

I might just throw a bunch of disinfectant wipes at him next time it happens

Spray him with the spray if you can.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The gym got new 2.5kg bumper plates that look exactly like 25kg. Do they ever stop being funny?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

In the US, I think the shoe thing is a northern thing. In the South, any place I've been to doesn't ask you to wear different shoes. May be a salt thing too?

The shoe thing in these parts is a "don't track your dirty rear end shoe grime everywhere" thing. We get winters here too. Don't recall anyone ever lifting in boots.

Mustached Demon fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Stretching is so important it requires empty quoting.

I'm a big fan of band assisted warmups for my hips like band air squats, clam openers, leg raises, etc. Really gone a long way in opening those dumb things up.