Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Zev posted:

Gotta love the garbage spine club. I used to weigh 260 and could pull 405, but I think I hosed my back up getting there. I’m about 185 now and can pull north of 225, but when I lay in bed my low back feels loose. Like the vertebrae move away from each other. Had an mri done that showed nothing major going on so who knows why my back feels off all the time now. It aches sometimes and I get some relief by rotating my torso and popping it.

If I could lift consistently and not get discouraged I would be better at it. Hopefully I can stick with it from now on.

pain and discomfort (including "my x feels like it's doing y") are actually a CNS phenomenon and nociception (signals from somatic nerves) is "neither sufficient nor necessary for pain"

however that's not to say that chronic pain is not a serious issue for lifters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Bape Culture posted:

4lbs a week? How the hell
I'm willing to bet the first ten or so was water weight in the first week then the rest was over the other four. That's still 2.5 lbs a week which is still a pretty decent rate.

MikeCrotch posted:

Milk is for babies after all
Have you ever seen how fast a baby puts on mass? That's bulking dedication right there.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

So my brain is really the problem here. Making me hypersensitive to any back sensations. Probably was triggered when I was having back spasms. Good to know. Thanks.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
do more deadlifts

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
It’s actually squatting and bench pressing that agitate it most. I think I’m arching too much on the bench, so I have to work to correct that. No idea why squatting messes with it. Maybe I’m flexing back instead of bracing. Love me some deadlifts though.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Zev posted:

So my brain is really the problem here. Making me hypersensitive to any back sensations. Probably was triggered when I was having back spasms. Good to know. Thanks.

I feel you there, I am working my way through past back issues as well. You still have to listen to your body, but you also need to realize that there will be some discomfort while developing new muscles mass and new motions your body is not used to.

A big thing for me that helped was not to view pain as I need to reduce volume/intensity and not to stop all together. If you stop doing the motion it will only reinforce the movement = pain connection in your brain.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost

Zev posted:

It’s actually squatting and bench pressing that agitate it most. I think I’m arching too much on the bench, so I have to work to correct that. No idea why squatting messes with it. Maybe I’m flexing back instead of bracing. Love me some deadlifts though.

Have you tried high bar or front squat? They seem to work a little better for me. (or try low bar if you're used to high)

As for bench I started bracing like I do for squats and said gently caress it about a big arch. My back's still off the bench but not as high. My belt actually makes a difference now and it seems easier to hold my scapulae in place.

At least my OHP keeps going up lmao

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zev posted:

Does it last after you do those lifts, or is it just while you're doing them?

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
the thing that got my pullups to retard numbers was just putting a pullup bar above my bathroom and just doing 10-16 reps every time i passed under it. 5 sets spread throughout the day isn't really taxing on top of regular work outs so that added volume really pays off over time.

in other news I'm done chasing numbers because this poo poo only leads to me to loving up my tendons or some other weird injury. I've been getting some weird shoulder clicks from barbell front raises and I'm not sure if I should be worried or not.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bape Culture posted:

4lbs a week? How the hell

I'm eating at around a 1000 kcal deficit a day which if you believe the claim that 3500 kcal = 1 lb should be 2 lbs a week until my body adapts. Assume half is water weight. I expect the next 20 to take twice as long.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Have not tried high bar or front squat. Don’t really know how to hold the bar. Google could fix me up though I bet.

My back doesn’t really hurt during my sets. It’s sometimes between exercises or after I’m done that it will feel funny. It’s not like it really hurts either. Some positions are a little more tender, but mostly it feels loose.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Front Squat is great but boy do I loving hate it.

That poo poo can really kick your rear end good.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

The Front Squat is great but boy do I loving hate it.

That poo poo can really kick your rear end good.

I find stretching out and warming up my shoulders, arms, and wrists first really help with front squats.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I need to get on and do more front squats after my meet, that poo poo is loving great for building your back. My lower back is holding me up in a big way right now

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Did some farmers walks for the first time yesterday.

RIP my grip.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zev posted:

RIP my grip.

:getin:

Yesssss

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Zev posted:

RIP my grip.

This is probably a dumb question, but how do I farmer’s walk/carry more than two plates at a time? Right now I just grab a 45 in each hand and walk around the outside perimeter of my house, but those 45s are starting to feel mighty light.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

meet girls at the store posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but how do I farmer’s walk/carry more than two plates at a time? Right now I just grab a 45 in each hand and walk around the outside perimeter of my house, but those 45s are starting to feel mighty light.

You have a couple of options and the hex bar / trap bar is one of the better options if you only have plates.

Kettle bells work great too if you have them but most people won’t have 2 of the same weight.

DB carries work too but I find them awkward to walk with.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

I have a set of adjustable dumbbells that go up to 75 lbs. 50 lbs was enough for me on my first time.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

2 45s in each hand.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

thread a towel through the plates and prepare for glorious pain

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Get a hex bar

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Chinatown posted:

thread a towel through the plates and prepare for glorious pain

Do this on a day where you don't need to grip anything the next day.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX9Oyy4-JY

2:20 for farmers handles.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

2 45s in each hand.

Sadly I have small, delicate lady hands

Will have to look into using a hex bar, thanks goons

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I've been doing preacher curls to get bigger biceps, but I've hit a wall for the last few weeks. I've pretty much stalled at 110 lb. doing descending sets from failure (110 lb/8 reps, 90 lb/8 reps and so on until I can barely pickup my sports bottle)

Anybody got tips/exercises for pushing past the block? My protein intake is right at 200 grams/day,(combination of whey, fish and chicken/red meat) and I weigh 201 lb so I don't know if I should be consuming more.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Rad-daddio posted:

I've been doing preacher curls to get bigger biceps, but I've hit a wall for the last few weeks. I've pretty much stalled at 110 lb. doing descending sets from failure (110 lb/8 reps, 90 lb/8 reps and so on until I can barely pickup my sports bottle)

Anybody got tips/exercises for pushing past the block? My protein intake is right at 200 grams/day,(combination of whey, fish and chicken/red meat) and I weigh 201 lb so I don't know if I should be consuming more.

Do a different type of curl for a month.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rad-daddio posted:

Post yer guns 💪

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've been digging cable curls with the rope lately. Doesn't gently caress with my wrists or elbows either. And my biceps have grown a whole 1/4 inch without really gaining any weight, so I'm sort of an expert.

On a serious note, today was AtS Bench test week and I got 7 reps for my 195x5+. Making progress but I feel like it's kind of slow for my "level". If I had to guess I'd say I add 5 lbs to my bench max every month, but honestly if it'll keep going that way for a while, I'm happy with it. Can't wait to actually be able to throw on 2 plates for my workouts. 2 or 3 more training blocks and I'll at least be strong enough to hit 225 for my overwarm singles.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

this.

do drop sets and blast your biceps into oblivion

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I did a pretty nice drop set today, feels weird with the stack set to 20 lbs and barely being able to do a few reps with biceps about to pop.

Also I like to go "heavy" some days. Like whatever is a really tough set of 8. And as mentioned, because of it being the rope attachment, it doesn't destroy my wrists and poo poo like if I would try that with an ez bar. I feel like the combination of going heavy some days and light/pump work other days really helps. I'm no expert obviously, I'm sure there is some science out there but sometimes you just gotta do what feels good in the weight room. Like going heavy and trying to crank out 8 with as much weight as I can keeps me honest about not sandbagging things at the same weight forever if that makes sense.

e: also the other part of my operation biceps plan is i'm gonna get real fuckin serious about pull ups. I can crank out 10 if I go all out on a good day, so I think I can start weighting some soon. No place to do chin ups really in my gym, but the thingy has neutral grip that's about shoulder width and I feel like that grip is still a pretty decent combination of lats and bis

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 1, 2018

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

.And as mentioned, because of it being the rope attachment, it doesn't destroy my wrists and poo poo like if I would try that with an ez bar. I

I literally started doing cable curls because I started to gently caress up my wrists with the EZ bar. The neutral position with the rope is great and the consistent weight through the rep is really nice.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

No place to do chin ups really in my gym, but the thingy has neutral grip that's about shoulder width and I feel like that grip is still a pretty decent combination of lats and bis

Just underhand grip the got dang metal bar going across the top of the cable towers.

Or hook the smith machine bar on the highest hook, bend your knees and use that.

e:

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 1, 2018

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
There is no bar part in the middle, it's the wide grip part, and two pieces coming out perpendicularly with nothing in the middle.

Also I could use the smith machine but like I said, the close neutral grip feels pretty good so I'm not too worried about it, I was just blabbing to blab. I'll probably try a few just to see how many I can do that way.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I meant the big piece of metal that those handles come off of, that runs over them from station to station.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
It's big and square. I used to do chin ups off a square beam at my grandmothers house a long while back, it would murder my wrists. I'm a little concerned regular chin ups might since straight bar curls would, but maybe it's a little different? I'll give it a shot on the smith machine.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
The way soreness moves from one region to another is fascinating. My back feels better but now I feel like my rear end cheeks are glowing. Quads and hams silent so far.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Killing Loaf posted:

The way soreness moves from one region to another is fascinating. My back feels better but now I feel like my rear end cheeks are glowing. Quads and hams silent so far.

rear end in a top hat soon, then quads and hams.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Where does a strong fat powerlifter start with costume shopping? Wife wants to do Mr. Incredible/Elastigirl and store costumes look awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Note that I also look terrible