Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Data Graham posted:

Oh please yes, I love to hear good counterarguments to the stupid self-assured poo poo I hear daily.

Exercise works because your organism adapts to the conditions you put on it. If you stop lifting weights, your organism will adapt to its new condition of no longer needing to be strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Also, when it comes to body composition, there is literally no difference between doing cardio and eating less (I guess this probably isn't true if you stop lifting entirely but don't do that)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I find very little reason to use chalk except for pull-ups and rows and such

It's really not necessary for squat or bench or press, and you should just use straps to deadlift. Mixed grip is stupid for a casual lifter, and hook grip isn't really suitable for rep work. So really you only need it if you're testing a hook grip 1rm

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

I guess if you disagree, your reasons are probably better than mine, but I'd rather deadlift in a way that 1) engages my lats more, making it a more "complete" exercise and 2) avoids potential biceps injury

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

why can't you use hook grip for reps? It's second nature to me and sometimes I accidentally use it even on all my lighter warm up sets.

You can, I used to, but it's just kind of beating up your hands for no reason. Especially if it's "second nature" to you, that probably means that grip strength isn't even close to being the limiting factor, so you might as well just use straps and be comfy

feelix fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 5, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Finally getting back at it after a bad grade 2 ankle sprain (gently caress cardio forever).

Watched a dude deadlift 7 plates off the ground, halfway up, then he had to drop it.
Made me feel lovely for benching only a bit over bodyweight.
He felt lovely for not locking out that 7 plate lift.

We are all forever weak. Though for real that guy was huge i hope I can get that big before I die.

You must work out at an awesome gym if you even have access to bars that can fit 7 plates

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

University gym.
Gotta let the football players get huge and make us dat money.
(The plates are also very thin, they're the pure metal ones that are only about 1 1/4", maybe 1 1/2" wide)

The gym at my Uni was also very nice but surely the football players don't work out at the public (or at least general student and staff) gym?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Is there any evidence at all that "clean bulking" makes any difference over eating McDonald's
It seems like an extremely bro science concept

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Dunno what use knurling is in the center of a bar.
High bar squats

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I think there are a lot of highly successful people that get high to practice their calling, and also a lot more highly unsuccessful people that get high and don't have a calling

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Speaking of destroying your kidneys, apparently studies show you should take 5-6 mg/kg of caffeine pre-workout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgzOrvbYwqc&t=80s

That's loving insane, does anyone actually do this? I'm 210lb, here lemme just take 3 caffeine pills or slam FOUR cans of monster

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Sludge Tank posted:

Jut lol if you dont open palm slam a pint of espresso before gym

An American (16 oz) pint of espresso would actually be the recommended dose for a large strongman according to 6mg/kg

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Because that's not how half-life works?

Caffeine has been shown to affect sleep up to 6 hours before bed

Considering that's a medical study with a p-value of 0.05, the actual time it's probably a lot longer

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Wait, what, that's not how statistics works at all

What do you mean? With a lot of studies, I figure that they could show a much more generous effect if they chose a higher p-value. It's educated guessing on my part, but I figure that they could show that caffeine affects sleep after 8 hours at, for example, a p-value of 0.3. While that p-value is not good enough for a medical paper, it's good enough for me.

For the same reason, I don't think it's stupid to say things like "medical studies show beneficial effects up to 1g of protein/kg body mass so you should aim for 2g/kg to be safe"

Basically what I'm saying is that for things that aren't a big deal to overshoot (how long not to drink coffee before sleep; how much protein to eat), it's probably a good idea to overshoot the medical study recommendation, because those recommendations are at a very high level of certainty.

feelix fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 23, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah, I used to think this way also but it doesn't really bear out in the way statistical evidence is constructed. Like if you get a higher (poorer) p-value it just means that your effect doesn't have statistical evidence for an effect in the range you're looking. If you get an indeterminate p-value there are two possibilities - one you don't have enough people enrolled in your study or two there isn't an actual effect of what you're measuring. A "trend toward significance" is not a sophisticated way of understanding statistical evidence. If you show a significant sleep difference at 6 hours but not at 8 hours, it means there's something special about that amount of time not that "it's likely it's a much longer amount of time but you just can't really pick up the effect because of a stringent p-value.

Rewriting all scientific literature to say "if one is good, two is better, if they show 6 then it must be 8 or 10" is not only fallacious, it's dangerous and comically illogical.

I understand this, but based on an understanding of how the things we're talking about work, it's pretty safe to assume that it is, in fact, an issue of not enough data causing a poor signal-to-noise ratio, not something extremely special about 6 hours and 1g/100kg. Step functions don't exist in nature, so at worst, you would get strong diminishing returns going above those values. There's no compelling reason not to stop drinking coffee earlier or not to eat a bunch more protein so why not?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

CheesyDog posted:

use your butt muscles to lift weights

also your arm muscles and your other muscles

sage advice

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
After almost a decade of lifting weights, I benched 225. I attribute my incredibly rapid progress to my stellar upper body health -- I've only had 13 dislocations and four surgeries between my two shoulders

Strangely enough, the world seems the same, I feel like the same person, women don't seem more attractive and I have gained no insight on the nature of the universe

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I know you're lying because there's no way the cool guy bench threshold would involve 2.5s

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
That was on a lovely commercial gym bench too, I'm moving soon and gonna try to find a HARDCORE gym that has a THOMPSON FAT PAD and see what I can do

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
dont dox me

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
They're called "women". Men either don't squat at all or very quickly get stronger than that

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

bamhand posted:

Yeah not sure why you'd want to go around trying to intimidate women with your "sick" OHP.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
The only correct answer, for all time and space, is Twilight of the Thunder God

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

not enough for me to trust her

also what’s with the skinny fat just-out-of-college dudes who come to the gym, hop on the exercise bike for 45 minutes and go home without ever picking up a weight? biggest mystery in the gym

They don't want to get too bulky

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

hemale in pain posted:

I'm going to buy straps because I have tiny tiny hands.

Apparently if you have REALLY tiny hands straps can make things harder because the extra grip is not enough to offset the increased diameter

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
wtf, the tiny italian boobs av is one of the mass avs?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Is there plywood under those mats? Because if not I feel like even through the mats you'll destroy your garage floor deadlifting metal plates

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I don't think planning to dump a bar loaded with steel plates off your back is acceptable in any gym

If you're in a "hardcore" gym it might be OK to do so with bumper plates

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Vargatron posted:

Man all these cross fit fail videos are a laff a minute.

Who the gently caress needs to Olympic clean on a regular basis?

Who needs to lift weights at all?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Yeah it helps

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Or just do whatever you want and don't parrot top athletes because they are 1) not built like mere mortals, so what works for them might not work for you 2) don't necessarily know what they're talking about

For example, Arnold thought that certain exercises could emphasize inner vs outer pecs

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
:hfive: I pulled 5x405 for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Then I tested my 1RM a week after that and it was 485 which is even higher than the calculators would suggest

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Fartbox posted:

When you look like Klokov maybe you can start doing advanced and risky stuff

I like how he basically gave up on Oly lifting so he could juice as much as he wanted

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Sludge Tank posted:

Are there any feds with rules like 'feet must be parallel to knees and flat on the floor' because loving lol.

There's a fed that requires flat feet but it doesn't do anything to stop extreme arches

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

That's why I lift for maximum ROM and general health and wellness instead of getting my name on some list.

Yeah heavily loaded shoulder extension is HEALTHY AS gently caress

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
You sound like a really cool guy who knows a lot about lifting weights

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

What does a pulled groin feel like? I think I might have hurt myself doing very low squats, something hurts between where my leg meets my genital zone

Working out after 35 it’s some poo poo like that all the time, stuff that never hurt before just randomly pops up

I have this pretty constantly whenever I do any heavy squatting or sumo deadlifting with regularity, I don't think it's a "pulled groin" because that would be an acute injury.

The only time I didn't have it was when I was fat and could bounce off my belly at the bottom of squats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
e:nvm