Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

FedEx Mercury posted:

What the gently caress is the point?

Sometimes you want an excuse for why you can only squat your own bodyweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I remember when SA was all about squat variations like zercker squats and stuff. Like what the heck boys.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Just like my D when i am in the sauna with dudes. J/k fam but for real can you stand a lil closer when you spot my bench?

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

It's called a stable and the members are called studs.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

To the people asking how to deadlift quietly put down 2 yoga mats folded a couple times below each side of the bar. All the gyms in Korea are on the 4th floor or higher so it is standard practice out here.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is it possible to eat healthy entirely out of a crockpot and other things that don't really require cooking? The oven is a piece of poo poo in my apartment that can't even cook a frozen pizza correctly. I have a foreman grill but that thing seems like a pos too although I may just not know how to use it right.

I did it with a crockpot plus a stove top for a long time.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

My lovely new wrist strap snapped on the stitching during a 595lb deadlift. My old ones from elitefts lasted 7 years and these lasted all of 4 weeks.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Zzulu posted:

Fuckin puzzies liftin with straps

Your ancestors are rolling in their burial grounds
Ancestors had big forearms and no lats, traps, or hamstrings. Past is gone, embrace technology. Buy a squat suit and brew your own tren with some horse drugs. The future is now. If you arent benching bw x 1.5 squating/deadlifting bw x 2.5 then ignore this post and go back to believing the crossfit games are clean and wondering why powerlifters die at 45.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Are yall ignoring your lower back exercises like hypers?

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Khorne posted:

I do hypers and RDLs pretty regularly. Heck, I do hypers with a 45lb plate in between bench sets all the drat time because it's fun and doubles as a glute activation activity. I do them less often clean gripping a loaded barbell. I also enjoy hypers. It's just a fun movement. One of the funnest there is.
Go in there with a barbell and put it on like your about to do back squats. It will engaged your back or hammys a lot more then holding a 45lb plate in front of you.

I did chest today and tried doing my old powerlifting routine of working up to a 1 rep max then dropping down to 2x3 then 5x5. Ended up doing 385 for 1 315 for 3 and 275 for the 5s. I got a lot more blood in there today compared to the typical 8x3 or 4 I've been doing this year. I think I might do the same tomorrow on bent over rows and make this like a 1 week a month thing where I do it on my big compound exercise.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I think most people who start lifting in the 00s have the same over worked rolled front delt look from a combo of never doing rear delt work, every lifting program back then saying to do bb/db press and incline bench a million times while never mentioning facepulls or rear delt flys, and being hunched over posting on their pc about "pozing a neg hole."

A good shoulder day includes 1 press variation, 1 lateral raise, 1 front delt move, and 2 rear delt moves.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

poor posture has nothing to do with overdeveloped front delts or whatever

Yes it does. If you over work your front delts and dont work your rear delts your relaxed posture will have your shoulders rolled forward.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Gravity was heavy today. Went in to chest day with big boy plans of doing 405 on bench. Worked up to 295x8 and decided maxing is for weirdos. Did some tricep work and got on the exercise bike and one of the trainers came over and talked my ear off about how he didn't want to do anything with his engineering degree.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

El Duderino posted:

I could probably be working with the 80s db for shoulder press, but I can't get the drat things up...so I've been stuck with 75s for a month now... I try to bump them up with my knee, standing in front of the seat and using momentum to swing em back then fling them up like clean,.. Then I see these loving monsters repping out 125s in each hand and feel so inadequate.

I wanna take steroids :(
Ask two trainers in the gym to hand them off to you from the top. It is their job to help you out.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Decline and incline cover your pecs entirely and are much more natural motions. Some bodybuilders only bench when they're making a video because the motion can be stressful on the elbows/shoulders. Keep in mind this is from lifting 4 plates or more repeatedly not from putting up 185lbs. I still do it though because it's a nice bragging lift, throwing up 365lbs for a few reps makes me feel like an adult.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

Most of the people wear loving flip flops at my gym. One guy was doing bench presses with his feet on the bench like he was doing a sit up.
Woah. You met the exrx.com guy!?

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Slaves! Bring me my dumbells.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I was working out next to a slammin korean babe who was doing all these wacky stretches beside me so I had to hold in a massive fart while doing facepulls. I finished my set and then walked outside and set off a car alarm. Also it ain't your life until you are on that 6 day a week stuff.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Maybe you misunderstood, the way I wanted to do it keeps it that way. The only thing I'd consider on leg day is abs afterward, maybe curls. Also I feel pretty confident my knee issue is only from the tendons/muscles/whatever being tight from standing and walking all day. If I slowly warm up into squatting it's usually fine, at least here lately.
It is probably from squatting incorrectly. Have you considered tracking your knees outside more? Also have you considered lifting more? Also have you considered sticking a needle in your butt?

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Ive done that on leg day but I live in Korea and I am married so I don't give a gently caress if someone sees the outline of my D.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

Do compression shorts make you stronger and better? Or do they just give you bulging balls? Why not just wear shorts?

I live in korea where they provide fresh gym clothes for you every visit however ive torn the stitching/flirted with tearing out the rear end of their provided shorts with my fat american rear end when I go over 495lbs on back squats. So I just wear compression shorts and take off the gym provided shorts when I do my squats.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Did shoulders today. Instead of using a 90 degree bench for seated chillitary I tried it at about 105 and it felt a lot more natural but it was still enough that I didnt feel like I was using my chest.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

sassassin posted:

What did you do for the other 2/3rds of your shoulders?
Arnolds
One armed side db lateral raise while hugging the bench
Leaning cable lateral raise
Seated front raise on an incline bench
Reverse flys on the pack deck
Then finished with 2 trap exercises

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Fallows posted:

Not too bad

i cant do front raises either cable or dumbbell for some reason

arnold press is best press too
Just do bb upright rows then.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Sleep is as important as diet and exercise. If you are gimping any of the 3 you will be getting a visit from the gains goblin.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

89 posted:

I know it's a bitch move, but I'm using gloves for shrugs on the smith machine. That poo poo tears the gently caress out of my hands. Skin cut and hanging every time.
A real bitch move is having to stop your workout before you have worked your muscles fully. That said how is it tearing your skin? It is a 4 inch up down range of motion (like when I gently caress) there isn't much room for friction to be created like on a olympic lift.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Nah. Someday you'll hurt yourself then realize it was all stupid and pointless anyways. Wait, why do I need to even bench 300?
So you can join me in the 3+ plate club.

There is no reason not to wear gloves if they help you. If you find a way to get a few more reps or sets with gloves/straps/knee wraps/whatever you should probably use that to get more swole. If you don't use it because of what someone else says you honostly do not deserve to be swole.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Everything is a warmup before your working set. If I squat 4 plates for reps then 365 is a warmup.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

In case people wonder about the leg days, I already know for a fact my lower body responds really well to low volume, when I first started doing starting strength my quads blew up in relation to my upper body, so this is more focusing on upper body.
I feel like I read this monthly. Your legs got bigger because they are the largest muscle group in the body and the source of most of your power. It is your body so you make the choices but really think about this. I always focused on legs since I started many years ago and now I have a giant swole rear end that my wife married me for.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Always poo poo before leg day so you can put in full effort but dont over do it or you might get a hernia.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

I did legs today. Finally got my lever belt fixed so I went heavy on squats and worked up to 465lbs before I felt like stopping. Then I did step ups on a box that went up to my midsection with 135 and felt like I was dieing. Finished with a couple more exercises and then some half assed ab exercises. I considered stretching after but then decided rather then make a good decision I would go home and play MGSV.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Dum Cumpster posted:

Could you fix it yourself or did you manage to find someone out there who could?
I had to contact the maker. I bought it at the elitefts factory in the rear end end of Ohio when I was going to college in Dayton but nowaday I live in S. Korea. I sent them a few emails and eventually gave them my friends military APO to ship to since it is about 100 dollars cheaper and they then proceeded to freak out in a MAGA/ARE TROOPS style and not charge me anything for the replacement. I wouldnt have been able to fix it myself because a simple weld would have broken again really easily.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Everything powerlifting is out of POZstralia. People here generally aint trying to get too big very much afraid to eat a lot. That said I have seen some massive Koreans but it is a lot more rare whereas in the US you can find a few juiced up gym rats per big commercial gym.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Thats the difference between college and real life. You aint gonna find a SEA expat in an OZ commercial gym unless he knows what he is doing.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

It aint that bad. Japan is a little more conservative. In 2011 I saw people covering tattooes because they are a sign of gang membership here but now people dont bother anymore, a lot of people and ever girls have tats in my city. You can get almost everything here, most ON products and I just found a site that ships quest bars here for cheap if I wanna diet. The big difference is gyms are both smaller and everything is cramped together. It aint like Aus or America where your gym is the size of an airplane hanger more like the size of a dentists office. But on the plus side some gyms are attached to a 찜질방 which is like a korean sauna so after leg day I can hop into a super hot jacuzzi style tub and chill for a few minutes while my quads mend in a submerged zero G stasis of 40°C water.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

For me it has been since 2012.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

My bench dropped drastically 4 years ago because of shoulder or chest pain I don't remember exactly but it was the impetus for me starting juicing. By the time the steroids arrived I remember my bench was back to normal but I was like gently caress it and sat on a needle filled with mystery eastern euro hormones anyway.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Share your ways
Find ur own plug nerd. Casually drop a blister pack of tylonel with STAIROIDS written in sharpie on it infront of the biggest guy in your gym and see what happens.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

There arent any sides until you come off. Then its a lowered sex drive and increased acne for a month or 2. Idk why they were so vilified in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

After 2 years of workingout you should really be doing your own thing. You know your body better then any program does.